How car categories and daily races could be better.

United States
United States
As much as I love GT Sport for online racing, I'm increasingly realizing how poorly the car categories are organized. My recommendations from my very scientific findings are as follows:

Gr.4 - Completely independent from Gr.3, meaning no cars just for the sake of congruity for the Manufacturer's Series. No Bugatti. No VGT. Preferably more hatchbacks/FF and the like to further differ itself from Gr.3.

Gr.3 - Only modern GT machines. No F1, no Ford GT unless modern version. No WRX. No VGT. Closer BoP, especially for tracks favoring top speed cars.

Gr.2 - Only modern Super GT cars.

Gr.1 - Only modern LMP1 cars. No 80s/90s vehicles. No VGT.

Gr.C - All of the 80s/90s cars from Gr.1

VGT2 - Lower-class GT-style VGT vehicles.

VGT1 - High-end VGT vehicles, mostly from Gr.1.

Bonus Findings - Daily Races:

Daily Race A - Always road cars. Either one-make or specific requirements such as; 90s Japanese cars restricted to N400. Or limits based on power and weight. Tuning allowed. Although this would be better if it involved purchasing and installing parts rather than just changing sliders. Short race, no tyre or fuel consumption.

Daily Race B/C - Always race cars. No tuning. Both are long races. One would include tyre and fuel consumption, the other would not.

These scientific finding are open for peer-reviewed discussion.

Last edited:
The only thing i dont agree on is the gr3 stuff. Its super fun having the f1 and GT in a relevant racing class. With your system you didn't say what class you would move them to. If its into gr X then im against that. I thought gr3 was a good fit. the F1 does dominate fast tracks but so does the supra. I agree about better BoP.

VGTs i could do without altogether. I am not sure there is one i even drive somewhat regualrly. I understand that vgt let's pd get closer to manufacturers but i would take any real car over any VGT in the game. I might be biased because im tired of people joining my track day lobbies and getting in a vgt spaceship and hitting everything. "No tomahawk/VGT"...first guy picks tomahawk. Like you really thought i wouldnt kick you instantly? Lol

The only thing i dont agree on is the gr3 stuff. Its super fun having the f1 and GT in a relevant racing class. With your system you didn't say what class you would move them to. If its into gr X then im against that. I thought gr3 was a good fit. the F1 does dominate fast tracks but so does the supra. I agree about better BoP.

VGTs i could do without altogether. I am not sure there is one i even drive somewhat regualrly. I understand that vgt let's pd get closer to manufacturers but i would take any real car over any VGT in the game. I might be biased because im tired of people joining my track day lobbies and getting in a vgt spaceship and hitting everything. "No tomahawk/VGT"...first guy picks tomahawk. Like you really thought i wouldnt kick you instantly? Lol

It might be a bit harsh on the F1 and GT haha. At he very least they could make them a lot more balanced on high speed tracks.

I agree with you on VGT, I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they might hold some value. But yeah, I think the only times I've driven them was for the challenges that require you to.

Imo, Race C should have on-the-spot qualification, race B should have tirewear and race A should be road-only on short tracks.

Also, change the races every Wednesday and Sunday because the "daily" races lasting a week is pretty funny.

Imo, Race C should have on-the-spot qualification, race B should have tirewear and race A should be road-only on short tracks.

Also, change the races every Wednesday and Sunday because the "daily" races lasting a week is pretty funny.

Those are very much still daily races, as they are run everyday. However, I agree that a more frequent rotation would be better.

I agree about qualy. Enough time for one gluon lap, mistakes and all. Just ghost all cars for that session. So, a track like N24, allows everyone to leave pit lane at the same time.
The negative would be time slots for such an event.

I think that we just need more "sub-classes." IMO the classes as-is are mostly fine, but I think the issue is that the selection of cars is almost never limited otherwise when a class is featured. So I'd love to see a Gr.1 race limited to the Group C cars, for example.

Another note is that I think the money/exp payout should not only depend on placement and the type of car being driven, but also the average DR of the field, including you. So you're rewarded for driving well in a tough field, even if it's a one-make with the Suzuki Swift or something. I would also change the clean race bonus so that it starts at a 10% bonus, but increases every consecutive clean race, until the payouts are doubled - that would be the cap.

One more minor note is that I'd pretty much overhaul the in-game achievement system if it returns. For example, I'd make the challenges more fun and less of a chore, or potentially encourage players to change their typical behavior to get those achievements. So for example, liking photos/liveries from other players is a silly achievement because it conflicts with actually liking that item. I'd also do away with likes overall and just measure by how many times an item has been downloaded by others, which I feel is a better metric. Similarly, having an achievement for total clean races may be better than consecutive clean races because players could be encouraged to just drive slow/cautious beyond a reasonable extent (i.e. not do their best otherwise) to get more consecutive clean races. Same thing goes for total uploads/photos - it just encourages uploads of sloppy work.

I'd either do-away with this system, or make it more fun, and perhaps offering bonuses that aren't simply mileagepoints/exp/money/etc. Such as a special skin or prize car. One idea was that driving long enough with VGTs could net you a complementary GT by Citroen Gr.3, as many could call it a predecessor to the VGT program.

(As an aside, I think the nature of prize cars could be changed in a few ways. First, I do like the idea of being awarded vouchers instead of the cars themselves, so that you can still go to the dealership and take you time picking a color later. I also like the theming of prize cars in GT4, 5, and 6, but I also think that some events could have "semi-random" prize cars, where you could be awarded a car from a pool that follows a similar motif. Perhaps some events would have a "prize car pool" based on the typical listing of opponents for that event. Speaking of which, I think there should be more-or-less complete overlap between the list of cars you yourself can use in an event, and the cars used by the opponents. But I digress - I think I'll consolidate these many ideas I've had for GT (and other series, as well as original videogame ideas, and other stuff) in a mind-map that I'll draw in a sketchbook.)

Last edited:
Back