How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off Graphics and Dynamic weather on PS4

How will GT7 run on Ps4!

• Total voters
Well It is perfectly reasonable that they started production on ps4.
It's also perfectly reasonable that they knew exactly when the PS5 was due out and planned accordingly. This is a Sony first party studio we're talking about.
...not an insider lol, Kazunori basically said it by himself in one of the tech previews.
Cool. Can you point the rest of it to it so we can see for ourselves? "Basically" suggests that there's some nuance going on there. Translator-san does a great job but he does sometimes skip over detail for the sake of brevity.

Variable time is confirmed. That's what gets me though, Why move away from the industry standard word "dynamic?" It's also weird that through those multiple pictures of the different time frames that they'd write variable over each of them - They could have just said it's dynamic and avoided wording that out in such a way at all. If it's dynamic, we know its a different time of day.. adding the word Variable on top of everything makes it sound more like a time of day selection rather than a dynamic instance.

Kind of reminds me of how T10 went around it when they started introducing Variable times of day for tracks before it was dynamic in their later iterations.

Both Kaz's blog and the GT website omit saying "dynamic" for weather as well. We only got it as a confirmation from the official PlayStation site details. I feel pretty confident dynamics are back though especially with the footage we've seen, I think they refer to dynamics as "change simulations".

Kaz's blog

Time/Weather Change Simulations

The time/weather change simulation brought to life in GT7 is unique to Polyphony Digital, who researched the complexities of nature and tailored it into a video game. Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data, we have recreated spatial / time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale, in a procedure that is unique to the Gran Turismo series. The validity of the simulation was checked using Scapes HDR images, for which we have accumulated data for several thousand spots all around the world. As a result, we have succeeded in expressing real and complex skyscapes and changes in light for different times of day and weather.

GT website

Variable Time/Weather Simulation

In GT7, a more natural and realistic variable time system and weather effect system have been recreated. Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data, including those from the academic databases of NASA, GT7 recreates spatial/time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale. As a result, this feature unique to the Gran Turismo series can express real and complex sky patterns and changes in light for different times of day and weather conditions.

Playstation website

With over 420 cars available at Brand Central and the Used Car Dealership from day one, Gran Turismo 7 recreates the look and feel of classic motors and bleeding-edge supercars alike in unparalleled detail. Each car handles differently and feels unique as you navigate over 90 track routes in dynamic weather conditions, including classic courses from GT history.

I had forgot what Polyphony called time/weather dynamics for GT6, but looking at the official track list they called it "time and weather changes" similar to Kaz's blog post.

• Fuji Speedway
  • Suzuka Circuit / Weather Changes
  • Daytona International Speedway / Weather Changes / Time Changes
  • Tsukuba Circuit / Weather Changes
  • Circuit de la Sarthe / Weather Changes / Time Changes
  • Nürburgring / Weather Changes / Time Changes

Last edited:
Both Kaz's blog and the GT website omit saying "dynamic" for weather as well. We only got it as a confirmation from the official PlayStation site details. I feel pretty confident dynamics are back though especially with the footage we've seen, I think they refer to dynamics as " change simulations".

Kaz's blog

Time/Weather Change Simulations

The time/weather change simulation brought to life in GT7 is unique to Polyphony Digital, who researched the complexities of nature and tailored it into a video game. Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data, we have recreated spatial / time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale, in a procedure that is unique to the Gran Turismo series. The validity of the simulation was checked using Scapes HDR images, for which we have accumulated data for several thousand spots all around the world. As a result, we have succeeded in expressing real and complex skyscapes and changes in light for different times of day and weather.

GT website

Variable Time/Weather Simulation

In GT7, a more natural and realistic variable time system and weather effect system have been recreated. Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data, including those from the academic databases of NASA, GT7 recreates spatial/time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale. As a result, this feature unique to the Gran Turismo series can express real and complex sky patterns and changes in light for different times of day and weather conditions.

Playstation website

With over 420 cars available at Brand Central and the Used Car Dealership from day one, Gran Turismo 7 recreates the look and feel of classic motors and bleeding-edge supercars alike in unparalleled detail. Each car handles differently and feels unique as you navigate over 90 track routes in dynamic weather conditions, including classic courses from GT history.

I had forgot what Polyphony called time/weather dynamics for GT6, but looking at the official track list they called it "time and weather changes" similar to Kaz's blog post.

• Fuji Speedway
  • Suzuka Circuit / Weather Changes
  • Daytona International Speedway / Weather Changes / Time Changes
  • Tsukuba Circuit / Weather Changes
  • Circuit de la Sarthe / Weather Changes / Time Changes
  • Nürburgring / Weather Changes / Time Changes
I'm aware of that, it really doesn't make it any less odd. They have a history of being vague, and this just seemed to line up like that, for me. Even their own descriptions they made(not the PS site) makes it seem like selectable instances, rather than a dynamic one.

Especially things like this:
"The validity of the simulation was checked using Scapes HDR images, for which we have accumulated data for several thousand spots all around the world. As a result, we have succeeded in expressing real and complex skyscapes and changes in light for different times of day and weather."

The validity of these instances they're showing in different variations of time were checked via their static-image scapes? So they based this data off still images? That seems fine, if it was actual TOD selections like I'm thinking, rather than it being dynamic.

Either way, I'm not judging here or there. I'm just curious.

Last edited:
I'm aware of that, it really doesn't make it any less odd. They have a history of being vague, and this just seemed to line up like that, for me. Even their own descriptions they made(not the PS site) makes it seem like selectable instances, rather than a dynamic one.

Especially things like this:
"The validity of the simulation was checked using Scapes HDR images, for which we have accumulated data for several thousand spots all around the world. As a result, we have succeeded in expressing real and complex skyscapes and changes in light for different times of day and weather."

The validity of these instances they're showing in different variations of time were checked via their static-image scapes? So they based this data off still images? That seems fine, if it was actual TOD selections like I'm thinking, rather than it being dynamic.

Either way, I'm not judging here or there. I'm just curious.
Yeah you never really know with PD. Pretty sure I’ll be one of the first to throw a hissy fit if dynamic time and weather actually aren’t in. :lol:

Yeah you never really know with PD. Pretty sure I’ll be one of the first to throw a hissy fit if dynamic time and weather actually aren’t in. :lol:
I wouldn't, as even before the announcement I was weary of it being capable in the first place. The vague and oddly worded statements haven't really swayed me otherwise yet. I'm still interested regardless, because if they can make it work with out any major compromises than I'd gladly take being wrong on that.

That's me 👋

PS4 will have no problems with rain and time changes... if I had 50 hands to input the transtition values, a day / night cycle with changing rain in gameplay could be done in GT Sport.

How taxing is a cloud system?

GT Sport uses around 4GB max of memory and 60-70% of the cpu in any 20 car race, add another 10-15% when running 38 cars. Surely this extra left over juice is sufficient.
i would love to know ho you did this

Oh snap you're right.

What's going on here PD...

gt7cloud2.png

"Yamauchi did note, however, that these dynamic environmental features will not be available on all tracks in the game. He did not confirm exactly which tracks will have these features, but the latest trailer suggests popular real-world circuits in the game like the Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit de la Sarthe, and Tsukuba Circuit will support dynamic conditions."

Well this kinda answers that. 😕 still would have liked to see rain at WillowSprings even if its in the desert

"Yamauchi did note, however, that these dynamic environmental features will not be available on all tracks in the game. He did not confirm exactly which tracks will have these features, but the latest trailer suggests popular real-world circuits in the game like the Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit de la Sarthe, and Tsukuba Circuit will support dynamic conditions."

Well this kinda answers that. 😕 still would have liked to see rain at WillowSprings even if its in the desert
Yeah. It does rain on Willow even if only rarely, so for game purposes I don't see why Willow shouldn't or couldn't have dynamic weather. Hopefully the only other tracks without dynamic weather are the rally tracks, which I'm fine with.

I think it's going to be a mixed bag with Variable Time/Weather, if it's similar to previous GT's, a few getting the full treatment (24 hour weather/time), some getting only sunrise to sunset (weather/time), some getting variable weather only & the remaining tracks no variable weather/time.

Last edited:
Okay, so as Kaz says in GT7, time and weather will be moving in real time. If we all inbox our game at release date, will we all start off in our respective time zones? As in, dark Home Screen for those unboxing at 1am and those of us unboxing in daylight, at 2pm?

Okay, so as Kaz says in GT7, time and weather will be moving in real time. If we all inbox our game at release date, will we all start off in our respective time zones? As in, dark Home Screen for those unboxing at 1am and those of us unboxing in daylight, at 2pm?
Did they ever mention time going in real time? I've seen only variable mentioned for time frames, but dynamics on weather has definitely been said, which makes it odd to use the two different terms like that if they were both going to be dynamic.

Did they ever mention time going in real time? I've seen only variable mentioned for time frames, but dynamics on weather has definitely been said, which makes it odd to use the two different terms like that if they were both going to be dynamic.
Yeah, from Kaz's eurogamer interview

"One other point of clarity I wanted to make was about dynamic time and weather, which wasn't a part of Gran Turismo Sport.

Kazunori Yamauchi:
In GT7, the time and weather will be moving in real time."

Yeah, from Kaz's eurogamer interview

"One other point of clarity I wanted to make was about dynamic time and weather, which wasn't a part of Gran Turismo Sport.

Kazunori Yamauchi:
In GT7, the time and weather will be moving in real time."
It's becoming hard to keep track of all the interviews lol. Thanks!

...mmmm mud 😂🤣
man.. would be so cool to get mud flung everywhere and splattering on windshields. In that regard Dirt 5 was a let down. We'll have to wait awhile before actual vfxs get an upgrade. But maybe PD can more particle fx like those rocks that get kicked around in the meantime. Its sad we are still not above DCs rain fx

In the two trailers Trial Mountain was shown prominently, the lack of variable TOD not shown & the same TOD as with previous GT's probably suggest weather might be the only dynamic effect on this track.
It's seems Trial Mountain would have been the place to showcase the return of dynamic TOD/weather to Gran Turismo.

In the two trailers Trial Mountain was shown prominently, the lack of variable TOD not shown & the same TOD as with previous GT's probably suggest weather might be the only dynamic effect on this track.
It's seems Trial Mountain would have been the place to showcase the return of dynamic TOD/weather to Gran Turismo.
i14IwfTGAGO6K7E.jpg

image_gran_turismo_7-42169-4502_0007.jpg

I actually think all tracks might have dynamic time, but not all tracks will have dynamic weather. They already had preset variable time options for all tracks in GTSport.

Last edited:
i14IwfTGAGO6K7E.jpg

image_gran_turismo_7-42169-4502_0007.jpg

I actually think all tracks might have dynamic time, but not all tracks will have dynamic weather. They already had preset variable time options for all tracks in GTSport.
In that second trailer, ignoring the homage to the early GT intros, dynamic TOD doesn't play a big role, I suspect it's still a work in progress, I would have expected it's return to be a little bit more front and center.

I am starting to wonder how much overhead did GT sport have???? Can it be the pd have found a way to Maximize the 8year hardware??? Can it be that the ps5 Techniques programming be used on ps4 and ps4 pro to Benefit new games ??

Do you think will GT7 keep up with the competition for another 4-5 years despite only slightly tunned PS4 graphics? Or we will see the real next-gen GT8 sooner?

Do you think will GT7 keep up with the competition for another 4-5 years despite only slightly tunned PS4 graphics? Or we will see the real next-gen GT8 sooner?
I think graphically, the cars in particular, GT has had the competition beat basically at every iteration, and I think GTS's models are good enough to last another 10+ years. At this point the only things that will really make a difference are lighting effects, weather implementation, and the overall design and culture of the game. And as for the culture, GT7 seems to take the historical elements of GT4 and expand them even further. As far as I'm aware, no other franchise has bothered with historical elements even to the degree that GT4 did.

Graphics might sell games but GT has never had a problem with selling and frankly I think that is low on the list of what will separate the series from the competition in the future. Improving modelling in particular seems like a waste of time when they could instead focus on the amount of content and its presentation.

That depends on who you mean in terms of competition, graphically GT as a series has always been ahead, but only if you limit it to consoles. The only time anyone got ahead, Sony killed the studio and franchise.

If you look outside of graphics then they are already behind the competition in a number of areas.

To be honest I expect frames drops on.PS4 version on demanding situations (heavy rain + more of 5 cars on screen)

Edit: Also is possible that resolution go under 1080p and some low textures are used to prevent the frame drops

Last edited:
In that second trailer, ignoring the homage to the early GT intros, dynamic TOD doesn't play a big role, I suspect it's still a work in progress, I would have expected it's return to be a little bit more front and center.
...well, it is stated that all tracks will have real time of the day and weather, whatever that means...

There's still so much confusion...
So, GT7 has:
Dynamic time (maybe all, maybe less tracks)
Dynamic rain (seemingly not all tracks)
Dynamic clouds (wherever there's dynamic time, I guess)
Dynamic temperature and humidity simulation (hmmm)
24h time and weather confirmed for Le Mans
Weather and some sort of time confirmed for Tsukuba (would love to see it at night but haven't yet, fingers crossed there's no tracks where Dynamic Time abruptly ends at 7pm like in 5 and 6)

Yeah, this seems like the case. Not only does Trial Mountain not have any circuit lights on the side of the track, but this would also explain that cloud shot during the first 2020 trailer. The clouds were moving rapidly, but the shadows were static. It makes sense, because I don't think Polyphony would let players drive around a pitch black Trial Mountain. It was the same in GT5 and GT6.

Now the question is: Why the hell did they not add circuit night lighting in the overhaul? I was one of the people who wasn't happy with how much they changed the track. Why would they remove most of what made the circuit stand out from the rest, but skip out on adding night track lighting?

Yeah, this seems like the case. Not only does Trial Mountain not have any circuit lights on the side of the track, but this would also explain that cloud shot during the first 2020 trailer. The clouds were moving rapidly, but the shadows were static. It makes sense, because I don't think Polyphony would let players drive around a pitch black Trial Mountain. It was the same in GT5 and GT6.

Now the question is: Why the hell did they not add circuit night lighting in the overhaul? I was one of the people who wasn't happy with how much they changed the track. Why would they remove most of what made the circuit stand out from the rest, but skip out on adding night track lighting?
Nordschliefe is mostly unlit though...

Nordschliefe is mostly unlit though...
I'm just going off what they have done in the past and what I have seen in the GT7 gameplay so far. They have a precedent for not allowing players to race at night on Trial Mountain and other certain fictional tracks. No one really knows why, but they seem to want those tracks to have perfect weather at all times.

Last edited:
Back