How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off Graphics and Dynamic weather on PS4

How will GT7 run on Ps4!

• Total voters
Look like IGN Japan has done a video that show Heavy wet weather running on ps4 vs ps5,

I have yet to try it myself on my PS4 pro but all I could see is from all the reviews and info coming out it’s all positive,

I would like to take this time to Say Thank you to Polyphony Digital for Immaculate work that is done on an outdated hardware like a PS4. 👏❤️

The final verdict will be from digital foundry’s comparison video which should be coming soon

I really dont feel like i am missing out too bad playing on the ps4 version. Sure in a year or 2 i may switch to ps5 but glad i can have fun on a new gt game now.

Just a note, I upgraded the name of this thread now that the game has been released. Like I said in an earlier post I tip my hat to work polyphony digital has delivered to us, please feel free to continue the discussion And if possible share any technical information on how it was done I would love to know.

2 very good reads from John Linneman

Gran Turismo 7 tech analysis: how Polyphony uses the power of PS5 4K image quality, ray tracing, ultra-fast loading - and more.

Ultimately, Polyphony Digital has delivered three excellent versions of Gran Turismo 7. In common with other first-party Sony games, the PS4 and Pro versions are mostly identical - resolutions apart. And as the core engine was built for that generation of hardware, it's still a very good-looking game - and key engine improvements (such as dynamic time of day, weather, cloud rendering etc) make their way into all versions of the game. Comparing PS4 Pro to PS5 is almost like comparing a well-scaled PC game from its low/medium settings to high/ultra - with a sizeable resolution boost added too. I'm still not particularly happy about the game requiring access to the internet in order to function, but this does open up a good feature: not only can replay data be shared between all consoles, but in-game progression is freely interchangeable too.

Whether it's with Gran Turismo 7 or Horizon Forbidden West, we're often asked whether the cross-gen requirement is holding back PS5 from being everything it can be and whether the existence of PS4 and Pro versions limits the scale and scope of the game. On the one hand, the requirement to service three consoles instead of one may have an impact on studio resources. However, on the other hand, it's got to be stressed that brand new game engines based on exciting new rendering paradigms don't just appear out of thin air - they take a long, long time to develop: a rendition of GT7 built from the ground up for PS5 would be impossible to deliver just over a year from the console's launch. Expect new and exciting things from the next Polyphony Digital game, but what's clear from our testing is that GT7 on PS5 offers a vast array of improvements and enhancements over the last-gen rendition of the title - and you're getting a substantially improved experience on Sony's latest machine.
Gran Turismo 7: does the PS5 graphics showcase still hold up on PS4 and Pro?

And also on this DF Direct Weekly #51
DF Supporter Q1: Do you think that GT7 was held back by its cross-gen nature? And to what degree?

Last edited:
To me the graphics are underwhelming, like its a previous console game. Maybe I need to see it in person on a PS5?

But yea, after seeing reviews and streamers playing this game on PS5 I was underwhelmed, it still looked a little bit like GT5 and GT6. I still want to try out the game tho, just not 100% committed.

To me the graphics are underwhelming, like its a previous console game. Maybe I need to see it in person on a PS5?

But yea, after seeing reviews and streamers playing this game on PS5 I was underwhelmed, it still looked a little bit like GT5 and GT6. I still want to try out the game tho, just not 100% committed.
Having played GT5 and GT6 in recent weeks I can 100% say that GT7 on either a PS4, PS4 Pro or a PS5 do not look a 'little bit' like either GT5 or GT6.

Right now GT7 has a lot of issues, but even with the nerf to particulates we have had, it looks fantastic.

Having played GT5 and GT6 in recent weeks I can 100% say that GT7 on either a PS4, PS4 Pro or a PS5 do not look a 'little bit' like either GT5 or GT6.

Right now GT7 has a lot of issues, but even with the nerf to particulates we have had, it looks fantastic.
I'm watching reviews and after seeing people play on twitch this looks like an upscaled ps3 game. The worst part is the cars seem to all be from 2017, like nothing newer. Apparently there is no raytracing during gameplay, and only in replays.

I'm just glad fans are making videos on YouTube about all the bs Sony and PD are putting everyone through. No offline is atrocious, I hope they fix all these issues.

Y'all just get up and hit the pipe straight away, huh
I'm not the only one that feels this way, watch reviewtechusa on youtube. Whats funny is the graphics leave a lot to be desired, especially for a PS5 game.

You sure you didn't hit the pipe? It's 2022 and GT7's most recent cars are from 2016-2017. Oof

I'm not the only one that feels this way, watch reviewtechusa on youtube. Whats funny is the graphics leave a lot to be desired, especially for a PS5 game.
A big difference exists between 'looking like GT5 / GT6 upscaled' and ' not taking full advantage of the platform', that you are using compressed video footage from Twitch as proof of it being the former pretty much addresses it right there.

It's 2022 and GT7's most recent cars are from 2016-2017. Oof
Which is indeed a valid criticism to level at GT7, it just has nothing at all to do with the visual point.

Last edited:
I'm just glad fans are making videos on YouTube about all the bs Sony and PD are putting everyone through. No offline is atrocious, I hope they fix all these issues.
As I have done...

...however, nonsense about GT7 looking like an upscaled GT5 or GT6 actually undermines the valid criticism of GT7.

It is unbelievable what is written here, sometimes even by people who have not even played it themselves.

GT7 even looks better on my PS4pro than any other game I've played in this area. no FH5 or other new games can come close as long as you don't bother with bling
bling dazzles.

I'm thrilled and I think this game is great, it needs some "small" fixes but I'm confident!

It is unbelievable what is written here, sometimes even by people who have not even played it themselves.

GT7 even looks better on my PS4pro than any other game I've played in this area. no FH5 or other new games can come close as long as you don't bother with bling
bling dazzles.

I'm thrilled and I think this game is great, it needs some "small" fixes but I'm confident!
I believe our community is divided because of the current events that happened last week the only way I see a fix for this is if PD cleans up their act but my true sincere feelings is that this is not PD it’s the face of a corporation called Sony taking advantage of their number one selling brand to make money… I will still play GT7 And will not support micro transactions I have been playing since GT 1 on ps1 and Always had a love for the series I am hurt but in my opinion it is still the best racing game out there

Never seen in person the game running on PS5 on a 4K TV.
Compressed videos on Youtube or Twitch simply aren't proof of anything on that matter.

In my personal experience I was afraid the game would behave badly on my regular PS4, specially because PD never released serious information or comparisons of graphic performance, just videos from PS5 version.

I assume the PS5 is far better but I'm pretty happy how they pulled off this visuals in 8+ years old hardware. Certainly the old machine suffers with some challenging processing, like the spray in the rain, sure there are some framerate drops in extreme situations.

It shocks me people posting that Project Cars2 or Forza Horizon have better graphics. I have both and no way are better.

GT7 is by far the best looking game on the ps4 , It looks better than GT sport . The shadows which were notoriously jaggy on some times of day on certain tracks were all fixed ( jaggy shadows stil lexist but not as bad as GTS) , more trackside detail , tree's are more naturaly shadowed and lit, grass has better sub surface scattering ( the only track that had this was barcelona on GTs, PD updated almost every track in 7 to have grass that scatters light properly ). etc etc. GTS> Driveclub > GT7. Driveclub edged GT sport out with its graphic features but the lighting was inferior and although the foliage textures , density, and complexity was better, the light did not light it realisticaly. Drive club beats GT7 in actual asset quality san's he cars though.
I do feel the only tracks that show off the ps5's power is HSR, Trail Mountain and deep forest . The other tracks don't have much differances between versions aside from increased grass density / textures / spectator density. Obviously the outliers are trail mountain / Deep forest which have huge differeances. But by far, GT7 on the ps4 is mindblowing.

After doing a 1hour Endurance race at Redbull Ring and I really got a good feeling on how the dynamic weather works in Gran Turismo7 and I tip my hat to pd, yess I am on a ps5 but To pull this off on the PS4 I am completely impressedI would love to know the programming in downscaling that have to be done

It look like Polyphony digital is far from finished optimizing this game for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5

I hope they improve the rain beading on windshield effect, it's pretty underwhelming compared to assetto corsa mod. The cloud rendering and atmospherics are still the most impressive though.

Did the Spa WTC800 and the rain at night is daunting. In cockpit and hood cam(PS4 slim), it gets a little difficult to see. pretty cool. Love the improvement.

Back