How do i change my driver name - in simple steps

• Thread starter xorbax
  • 18 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I want to change my driver name on gt Sport. It seems the only way to do this is if i make a new user on my ps4. I tried but it appeared to want me to sign up for ps plus again. Surely i don't have to have another online subscription for each new user i create on the ps4?!
Is the way to do it to set up an account for (ficticious) family member? Would i then just have to sign up to play station network without needing another ps plus subscription?
Apologies if I'm being pedantically stupid about this but the ps4 really confuses me and i really really want to start gt Sport anew. It would be great if someone could tell me in noddy language how the heck to achieve my goal. Thanks :-)

hey buddy, right now that is the only way. PS hasn't made it available yet to change your ps user name and that is the default for GTS. Supposedly that support is coming just not yet! And your ps plus account on your machine so it works for any account on there!

You can create an additional user on your PS4 and then you can change the settings on your "primary" account that has PS plus so that it shares access to other users on the PS4.

Keep in mind that this will mean you have a separate account for GT:Sport, whatever cars/level/achievements you have will not show up on the new user.

You can create an additional user on your PS4 and then you can change the settings on your "primary" account that has PS plus so that it shares access to other users on the PS4.

Keep in mind that this will mean you have a separate account for GT:Sport, whatever cars/level/achievements you have will not show up on the new user.
hey buddy, right now that is the only way. PS hasn't made it available yet to change your ps user name and that is the default for GTS. Supposedly that support is coming just not yet! And your ps plus account on your machine so it works for any account on there!

Thanks, but does the extra user have to be s family member to be able to play online on the one account?

Last edited:
Thanks, but does the extra user have to be s family member to be able to play online on the one account?

All the other user needs is a different e-mail address there are no other pre requisites.
Both of my users are under the same name, just different e-mail addresses.

You may even keep playing with the previous user name, also.. problem is that with the new account you start from zero again!!!!

Just a heads-up if you're a Gmail user.

You don't really need to use a different email address. For instance if your email address is "abcdef@gmail.com" you can also create a new psn with this same address by simply adding a "." somewhere in the username.

So you can use "abcdef@gmail.com" for one account and "abc.def@gmail.com" for another. Gmail does not recognise the "." in the username so "abcdef" and "abc.def" are the same username for Gmail.

Psn on the other hand believes "abcdef@gmail.com" and "abc.def@gmail.com" are 2 separate email addresses so you can create multiple accounts with just one email address.

I have 5 psn accounts using just one email address just by shifting the location of the dot. Hope this is useful.

You don't really need to use a different email address. For instance if your email address is "abcdef@gmail.com" you can also create a new psn with this same address by simply adding a "." somewhere in the username.

So you can use "abcdef@gmail.com" for one account and "abc.def@gmail.com" for another. Gmail does not recognise the "." in the username so "abcdef" and "abc.def" are the same username for Gmail.

Psn on the other hand believes "abcdef@gmail.com" and "abc.def@gmail.com" are 2 separate email addresses so you can create multiple accounts with just one email address.

I have 5 psn accounts using just one email address just by shifting the location of the dot. Hope this is useful.
Brilliant! Thanks a lot. :-)

This is genius. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Wish I'd have signed up with my Gmail before my Yahoo. I'll have to play around with changing that.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Awesome tip!!!

This is pretty frustrating. Why can't I change my driveer name in game. I don't want my Playstation name to be my real name, but I'm ok with it in GT. It'd be nice for my real name to be the one in the rcing items: driver name part of the livery editor.

This is pretty frustrating. Why can't I change my driveer name in game. I don't want my Playstation name to be my real name, but I'm ok with it in GT. It'd be nice for my real name to be the one in the rcing items: driver name part of the livery editor.

you can only have your PSN name as your racing name... BUT, you can change your PSN name one time for free.. after that they charge about £3. I know that's not the way you wanted it, but just in case it helps.

I know this is an old topic but it'd be nice to race with our real names rather than the PSN ID in the campaign as it always looks
stupid having a PSN ID and a set of real names for the rest of the AI drivers.

In GT5/6 I remember it was possible to have your game name if your were not signed into PSN, surely they could implement a name
option in the profile for this purpose in GT Sport?

I know this is an old topic but it'd be nice to race with our real names rather than the PSN ID in the campaign as it always looks
stupid having a PSN ID and a set of real names for the rest of the AI drivers.

In GT5/6 I remember it was possible to have your game name if your were not signed into PSN, surely they could implement a name
option in the profile for this purpose in GT Sport?
I agree with you. It seems like there’s a lot of things in older simulators that’s were better or more convenient and it’s strange that GT Sport didn’t implement them. I remember in Forza 4 you could make a decal (like your name) and save it as one decal. I want to change my user name but apparently I’ll go from level 40 with a bunch of custom tunes and liveries to 0... sucks.

Last edited:
I agree with you. It seems like there’s a lot of things in older simulators that’s we’re better or more convenient and it’s strange that GT Sport didn’t implement them. I remember in Forza 4 you could make a decal (like your name) and save it as one decal. I want to change my user name but apparently I’ll go from level 40 with a bunch of custom tunes and liveries to 0... sucks.

You can easily change your PSN name now without losing any game data, the first one is even free. 👍

Back