How do I drift faster/more aggressively?

Well..... an easy way to drift more aggressive is possible with more rear camber. Around 4. My friend from Germany, ( 34 ) gave me a car and it was really aggressive. He worked days if not, weeks on this car ( RUF BTR ). It was different than any other BTR I drifted. ( I had once 6 on a 180SX ( had 11 ) and it felt good for some reason )

And being faster could be easily done ( foor example ) with more downforce.

This counts for GT5, so don't kill me lol, I have no clue about what should be better in real life.

I worked on toe a lot with GT5. All I can say that if you descrease toe on the rear ( exampe -0,20) the car will get more angle but will slow down. So 0 should do best.

In the end it depends on your style of tuning and your style of drifting.

Note : I do not like to drift in this way, however I have some cars with negative to on the rear to slow it down and make it more smooth to control for me personally.

I just think that drifting fast should not allways be the goal
for example:
D1 tandom is judged not only on speed but also on angle, smoke coming out of the tires,
proximity to the other driver AND speed.
the fact that you are not fast yet does not mean you are not as good, work on you'r lines,
get the right setup for each track, try to feel where the car is absolutly on the edge and then
start increasing your speed, grip provides speed but it also kills the fun so try to find a balance.

Pergatory, I just want to ask one question about tires and all, because it just gets weird how GT5 the B-Spec AMG challenge was raced on Comfort Softs and yet you say it's more and skillful realistic to drift Sports tire.

Did PD do the tire grading wrong? Or are we arguing for a lost cause?
I don't think I've actually claimed anything was unrealistic, but since you brought it up, comfort softs and even probably mediums are realistic. However, comfort hards specifically are not realistic tires, I don't think there are tires with this little traction in real life. As I've said in other threads, I can do a rolling burnout in 3rd gear in a 180hp AE86, I hardly think that's realistic. So that's why the AMG challenge worked, they were using comfort softs not comfort hards. I truly would like to see someone do the same type of challenge with comfort hards and try to find a tire in real life that matches its performance... I don't think they could do it. They'd have to use really narrow tires like four spares. If you've seen that video where they put really narrow tires on an AMG car to see how it handles, that reminds me of comfort hards in GT5.

In fact now that I've said that I had to go and find the video:

As for more skillful, yeah that's the topic for the rest of this nasty debate, and most likely as you suggested a lost cause. Several people on here are too busy defending their egos, so they cling to comfort hards. Anyone that challenges the supremacy of comfort hards as anything other than the best tire for drifting, the hardest tire for drifting, and the only tire you should ever use for drifting, gets immediate backlash in the form of personal insults.

Anyway...

Although the car is much "snappier" as I described above, the only place this really effects me is during transitions from one direction to the other. Mid drift, and/or chaining consecutive corners in the same direction (even if the are of varying speeds), I find a car on sports tires to be rock solid, and very easy to drift. In conjunction with that, I find going from slow speed corners to high speed corners extremely easy on sports tires (and one of the hardest things for me to do on comfort tires)

Like I said, during direction changes, the car becomes very finicky. There are times when if feels like you almost have to fight to maintain the loss of traction. And snap-back oversteer is very common. Even tougher than normal transitions is going from one direction to the other in a fast section.

However, after spending some time on sports tires, I taught myself to finesse those transitions. After a few hours of practice, I got a good feel for how the car was going to react under those conditions, and figured out what needed to be done to prevent crashing (most of the time lol). Once I figured that part out, drifting sports tires became pretty easy for me.

Other than changing direction (especially at high speed), I find every other aspect of drifting more difficult on comfort tires. High speed to low speed, low speed to high speed, long sweeping corners, etc etc...for me, all tougher on comfort tires.

The main reason I find sports tires easier is because I don't feel like I need to worry about spinning out because of power oversteer. Unless I really mess up a weight transfer, I find it nearly impossible to spin out because I'm on the gas too hard.
It almost sounds to me like in this example you're using an underpowered car or a car with suspension tuned for comfort tires. I'm not saying every car drifts good with sports tires, but some do, especially the higher-powered cars. There is no "one size fits all" in drifting. If your car is properly matched to its tires with a good suspension setup, even if those tires be sports/racing tires, you should be able to get the same level of control at extreme angles. If you feel like you can just floor it while sideways, that would probably be fine for touge but probably not for drifting. I'd try tweaking the suspension a bit, or using comfort tires. Nothing wrong with comfort tires, sometimes they're the best tires.

There is also nothing magical about comfort hards that make cars handle differently. If you compensate correctly for it, adding more traction doesn't have to change a car's behavior much at all. The margin for error is the only thing that cannot be helped, it always gets smaller with increased traction. And I don't just mean margin for error when doing transitions and such, but even mid-corner. If you feather the throttle a bit too heavy or too light, it will bite you a lot quicker with sticky tires. You have to be right on the money.

I suppose with less traction, it's easier for you to over-do or under-do it by a lot, which I think is really the point some folks may be trying to make. For example if you floor it a little too much on comforts your RPMs might increase by 2000 whereas on sports they might only go up another 500 or so before you realize the mistake. However, that's a double-edged sword and not really a valid point. Look at that situation from another perspective, what if you WANT to increase the RPMs by 2000 all of a sudden? With comfort hards, RPMs are on tap. You just push the pedal and the effect is seen instantly. With stickier tires you can't just carelessly drop the pedal because the RPMs probably won't climb fast enough and you'll get thrown off the track by snap understeer. You have to plan ahead for it and shift the weight of the car so that it's possible to do this. Or add more power, I suppose. :)

I find it much harder to drift in the rain, on snow, on gravel, or on ice, than on dry tarmac.

It is much easier to break traction on those other road surfaces...but just because it is easier to break traction, that does not mean it is easier to drift. Yes, if you are on a low grip surface, it is easier to slide the car around (e-brake, powerslide, etc)...but doing that doesn't mean you're "drifting"

In terms of following a proper line and hitting clipping points, hells ya I find it much harder to drift in the rain, or on snow, than on dry tarmac. Dry tarmac is easy as pie compared to low grip surfaces.
I understand the point you're getting at. The speeds are slower and so it does feel like the margin for error is less. It's a lot easier to go 10% faster than your intended entry speed in snow/rain than on dry pavement. So in that respect I can see the point you're trying to make. However, I still disagree on the overall point, because it just "feels" like the margin is smaller due to the relative differences in speed. Which brings me to this:

I'm going to steal your line, but "the margin for error" when drifting on a wet surface is much lower than that of dry tarmac. Basically, once you commit the car to a certain path of travel, there's very little you can do to alter it. If you slightly miss a breaking zone, slightly miss a transition zone, or are too far off the line, you're almost for sure going to end up off course. You have to finesse the throttle way more so you don't oversteer. You have to be much more gentle with the brakes as well.
The margin for error is still larger on wet surfaces. Yes the speed becomes slower, so speaking in absolute terms the margin is smaller, but in relative terms it's actually larger. What I mean by that is say your speed through a corner should be 30mph dry, 20mph wet. Say your margin of error is around 3mph dry, so you could enter 10% over or under your normal speed. On wet, it might be 2.5mph which is a "smaller" margin but relatively speaking it's bigger, you can be 12% over or under. (Yes, I totally pulled those numbers out of the sky.) The point I'm trying to make is that in terms of actual time elapsed, you have more time on wet/snow than on dry pavement to correct your mistake. You don't need the same lightning-quick reflexes.

Also, any type of racing where drifting is used (rally, touge, etc), the drifting is not used because it is easier, but because it is faster There is absolutely nothing easy about drifting under those types of conditions.

In a rally stage, any given corner that is "drifted" is much easier to take using grip. It is also much slower using grip. When a rally car is drifting a corner, it is doing so at speeds that cause the tires to exceed their levels of grip. To maintain control at those speeds, the drivers use drift techniques. They do this to maintain the higher speed, not because it is "easier".
In racing, the two are often one and the same. Easier means the driver can be more consistent. Yes, it's easier to grip than drift in dirt because you'd have to be going ridiculously slow, but we're not talking the difference between grip & drift on a given surface, we're talking about the difference between drift on one surface and drift on another. The F1 videos were a better example than the rally drivers, I guess. It wasn't even about speed or consistency or even showing off, they simply do it because it feels natural. As traction decreases, drifting becomes natural and easy. In snow for example, it feels more natural than grip. I find it to be second nature, I don't even really have to think about it, in-game or in real life. When it's dry, it's much more intense and requires more focus.

Last edited:

Did you watch the first battle of Formula D last Sunday? It started to rain, and both drivers... did they make the corner perfectly?... no that doesn't seem right.... THEY BOTH SPAN OUT ON INITIATION!

D1GP earlier this year:

See how careful the driver is, and the precision he is using.

And that's just one of your arguments.

Please leave this thread, you are ignoring other arguments, showing huge ignorance, and taking metaphors as genuine facts.

Your post has been reported.​

Totally agree with this post 👍 .

It almost sounds to me like in this example you're using an underpowered car or a car with suspension tuned for comfort tires....

The cars I tried drifting sports tires on were my 300zx and MkIV Supra, so there was definitely no lack of power. And on both of them, I made alterations to pretty much everything...suspension, diff, tranny, and ballast. Perhaps my settings were still too tight, but i tweaked the settings until I was happy with the way the car felt while drifting on sports. Even with those changes made, I felt as though I couldn't spin out from too much throttle. That said, I did this was 3-4 months ago, so both my tuning and drifting skills are not what they are today (also to eliminate confusion, I do all my testing in my lounge or a lobby...only use practice mode for taking pics)

I suppose with less traction, it's easier for you to over-do or under-do it by a lot, which I think is really the point some folks may be trying to make. For example if you floor it a little too much on comforts your RPMs might increase by 2000 whereas on sports they might only go up another 500 or so before you realize the mistake. However, that's a double-edged sword and not really a valid point. Look at that situation from another perspective, what if you WANT to increase the RPMs by 2000 all of a sudden? With comfort hards, RPMs are on tap. You just push the pedal and the effect is seen instantly. With stickier tires you can't just carelessly drop the pedal because the RPMs probably won't climb fast enough and you'll get thrown off the track by snap understeer. You have to plan ahead for it and shift the weight of the car so that it's possible to do this. Or add more power, I suppose. :)

I see the point your making...but isn't the whole "double edged sword" a double edged sword in itself?...so, it's like a quadruple edged sword...wtf is that lol???

I think in this area we both agree that there are aspects of sports drifting that are challenging, and aspects of comfort drifting that are challenging. It all comes down to how the driver manages these different aspects. Some people may find it easier to to control the "RPM on tap" feel of comforts, while others find it easier to control the "soft feathering" required by sports.

I understand the point you're getting at. The speeds are slower and so it does feel like the margin for error is less. It's a lot easier to go 10% faster than your intended entry speed in snow/rain than on dry pavement. So in that respect I can see the point you're trying to make. However, I still disagree on the overall point, because it just "feels" like the margin is smaller due to the relative differences in speed. Which brings me to this:

The margin for error is still larger on wet surfaces. Yes the speed becomes slower, so speaking in absolute terms the margin is smaller, but in relative terms it's actually larger. What I mean by that is say your speed through a corner should be 30mph dry, 20mph wet. Say your margin of error is around 3mph dry, so you could enter 10% over or under your normal speed. On wet, it might be 2.5mph which is a "smaller" margin but relatively speaking it's bigger, you can be 12% over or under. (Yes, I totally pulled those numbers out of the sky.) The point I'm trying to make is that in terms of actual time elapsed, you have more time on wet/snow than on dry pavement to correct your mistake. You don't need the same lightning-quick reflexes.

I understand what you mean about the absolute and relative margins for error...that's a nice way of putting it.

BUT...at the end of the day, I don't really care what the numbers are. What matters is what FEELS more difficult. And for me, drifting in low grip conditions FEELS more difficult. But that's just for me, myself and I. I'm sure it's different for you, along with everyone else.

And perhaps I should clarify what feels more difficult. Like I said before, I find it harder to "hit my marks" in low grip conditions compared to when I have more grip. Put another way, I find it harder to drift accuratly with less grip.

The Suzuka D1 section is a perfect example. If we're talking about doing the whole section, taking the proper line, hitting all the clipping points, and getting good angle, I find it much harder in the rain compared to in the dry.

In racing, the two are often one and the same. Easier means the driver can be more consistent. Yes, it's easier to grip than drift in dirt because you'd have to be going ridiculously slow, but we're not talking the difference between grip & drift on a given surface, we're talking about the difference between drift on one surface and drift on another. The F1 videos were a better example than the rally drivers, I guess. It wasn't even about speed or consistency or even showing off, they simply do it because it feels natural. As traction decreases, drifting becomes natural and easy. In snow for example, it feels more natural than grip. I find it to be second nature, I don't even really have to think about it, in-game or in real life. When it's dry, it's much more intense and requires more focus.

I'm assuming you're talking about the video of the guy driving a formula car around the 'Ring in the wet.

I completely disagree with you when you say "it wasn't about speed or consistancy"....in that video, it's ALL about speed and consistancy. The one and only reason he is breaking traction is because he is trying to go faster. That is a great display of some outstanding driving, but he is basically on the edge of control through every corner.

And in my eyes, he's not really "drifting" in the true sense of the word, but rather using counter steer to correct for the power oversteer (and he's getting that much oversteer because he is trying to go fast). Nowhere is he entering the corner under drift conditions...that would be insanely hard at those speeds in those conditions.

I agree that as traction decreases, drifting becomes the more natural way to navigate a corner above and beyond a certain speed threshold (and this applies only to an experienced driver, who knows how to drift). But just because drifting becomes more natural, I don't think it is easier. In my opinion, just because it is easier to get the car to drift, that doesn't mean it is straight up easier to drift

Anyways, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

To sum up, I think we agree that there are aspects of both comfort and sports tire drifting that are difficult (along with drifting on dry surfaces compared to wet or other surfaces) . In my personal opinion, I think the difficulties associated with comfort tires outweigh the difficulties of sports tires, and that is why I say sports tires are easier to drift than comforts

One more reason (and this may be a bit of a stupid, but oh well) that I say sports are easier than comforts is based on my experience in open lobbies (like the ones named OMG DRIIIFFFTTTZZZZ!!!!! or something dumb like that). I can't count the number of times I've been in one of those rooms, saw people "drifting" (in this case, those are very sarcastic air quotes...) on sports tires, asked them "why don't you try comforts?', and have them respond with "cause comforts are too hard" or "sports are easier". The other thing that happens a lot is that people come into a CH only room, and then ask to have the tire regulations changed so they can use sports. When asked why, they usually say "cause comforts are too hard" or something like that.

The reason I say that might be a bit of a stupid point is because one could make the argument that most of those kinds of people are kids (no offense to all the young bloods around here intended) who don't actually drift. Rather, they race their car around the track, get a little tire smoke on corner exit, and think they are drifting.

I agree, and think this thread should be closed. no one is actually helping anymore just having a fight 👎

Why should it be closed? If you don't like what's being written in here, stop reading it. This isn't Clockwork Orange...no one is forcing you to read this.

:lol:

Why should it be closed? If you don't like what's being written in here, stop reading it. This isn't Clockwork Orange...no one is forcing you to read this.

6802244_UmvAE.jpeg

Anyways... im not following this thread, cose im not the "faster / more agressive" typo. Good luck for u there and keep the coherence in the debate.

I don't think I've actually claimed anything was unrealistic, but since you brought it up, comfort softs and even probably mediums are realistic. However, comfort hards specifically are not realistic tires, I don't think there are tires with this little traction in real life. As I've said in other threads, I can do a rolling burnout in 3rd gear in a 180hp AE86, I hardly think that's realistic. So that's why the AMG challenge worked, they were using comfort softs not comfort hards. I truly would like to see someone do the same type of challenge with comfort hards and try to find a tire in real life that matches its performance... I don't think they could do it. They'd have to use really narrow tires like four spares. If you've seen that video where they put really narrow tires on an AMG car to see how it handles, that reminds me of comfort hards in GT5.

But in real life you can get sideways on probably the lowest grade compound tire around with about 150/160hp so in that perspective doing that on an AE86 wouldn't surprise me.

But in real life you can get sideways on probably the lowest grade compound tire around with about 150/160hp so in that perspective doing that on an AE86 wouldn't surprise me.

my mates mx5 with 140 bhp can.. so yeah, its not hard

...not exactly lol. He's being forced to watch messed up films non stop as part of an experimental therapy.

I guess he must be watching some cheesy films then. And I thought it was an operation because I saw the eye drop thing. I wonder what on earth they are doing literally forcing someone to watch cheesy films?

Back