How do I stop this from happening? Layer issues with decals.

• Thread starter Colin87
  • 8 comments
England
England
I’m creating a license plate on the front of an E90 M3. The white from the plate (UK style) duplicates behind the plate and nothing I can seem to do gets rid of it (including messing with the limit angle and limit depth under the projection range menu)

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.

7A30FD8E-1289-4A02-B5EF-649EA6F4DC04.jpeg

Aim the camera along the plate, from the side or probably easier from the top, as accurately as you can and choose to align the decal to the camera. Then give it enough angle and depth to cover the entire plate. If you pull it off successfully you can make the decal's edge fit between the bumper and the plate.

Hard to explain, easier to do...

Thank you, I’m struggling with it still.. it seems so fiddly.
Aim the camera along the plate, from the side or probably easier from the top, as accurately as you can and choose to align the decal to the camera. Then give it enough angle and depth to cover the entire plate. If you pull it off successfully you can make the decal's edge fit between the bumper and the plate.

Hard to explain, easier to do...

There are some cars, like OP's E30 M3 or the Autobianchi or the LaFerrari, where the number plate and parts of the body panel directly behind or around it are all placed under the "Other" category. Making applying a clean decal a mission and a half.

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have cover the portion showing through with additional decals. If you are using special paints, that can be difficult to impossible to match without showing at all. Best way I've found is to come in from an extreme angle from every direction and lay in decals over the offending license plate overspray.

Not that it will help with this, but I also cover the license plate area with a solid black decal before I put on my plate. Then I'll adjust the opacity of the plate to get it to the correct level of brightness, without the factory plate bleeding through. Just a little trick I've found to deal with obnoxiously bright license plates on some cars.

Back