How do they know?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MegaManX
  • 35 comments
  • 2,296 views
Messages
11
how did PD know that the missions were possible? I mean he could have done an error and made it impossible but im just wondering how. Did they test it themselves somehow with a smarter then B spec driver ai to do its best. I dont know but so amazed that they made it possible.
 
They probably had beta testers to check them out. If they were too hard, they probably reduced the difficulty, and vice versa.

The missions aren't impossible, otherwise you'd have Tom Cruise jumping around on the screen or something.
 
The same way they know what a gold time for licenses ought to be. They play the game and take their best scores, then add a little time to it. All the demos for licenses were done by actual people and recorded.
 
coolacrille
Is that right?

i believe so. thats why the times are all odd, rather than all neat 33.00 for gold or summet, they have awkward times, like 32.691
 
If you have GT4 Prolouge you get a DVD with footage of PD testing out some of the cars. 👍
 
chinko
i believe so. thats why the times are all odd, rather than all neat 33.00 for gold or summet, they have awkward times, like 32.691
Good point. Hehe, can't believe I didn't think about that!
 
chinko
i believe so. thats why the times are all odd, rather than all neat 33.00 for gold or summet, they have awkward times, like 32.691


Yeah, they are "based" on the real driving tests for the FIA racing licenses.
 
I wonder how they came up with some of those times. I am not the best driver but there are some licenses/Missions that i can get a gold by milliseconds and in most cases1-2 seconds better than the times given.
I wonder if in some of the Linceses they just did not try enough to get better times or they just wanted people to get their confidence back, and dont give up?? :dopey:
 
i thought the RUF Yellowbird at trial mountain (cant remember, was A licence i think) was fun, and kinda easy. i drifted the last corner and got a nice gold :D
 
the "real gold" is beating the staff-ghost in the demo run.
most of the gold times are a second or two higher than his/her time.
the descrepency of difficulty comes from the arbitrary ammount of time they lump ontop.
 
Yes, in some cases I am wondering what they were thinking when they set the times for the Licences.

In some, I got a gold without actually trying to get a gold on the first try (International A 15, the one with ne Mercedes 190e Evo2 on the Ring for example... on my first try i beat the time for gold by 3 seconds without any effort.)!

Others though... For example those stupid tests with the BMW Z4 where you have to drive around these cones....


Really odd.
 
Surely one wouldn't think that they would release an error-filled game that they had put so much time and effort into.
 
I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not, luftrofl...

Yeah, they just create the test/mission, run it themselves, and tweak it how they want. Then they do a test run with the tweak to make sure it's possible to finish.
 
Dr.AK
Others though... For example those stupid tests with the BMW Z4 where you have to drive around these cones....


Really odd.

Well i think the cone driving is mainly for chicane manuvering, although there are not many, but it helps. I also think that PD was trying to get the driving school feel into the licenses, u know spice things up a bit(not really :indiff: )

FUTUREDRIFTER
 
Dr.AK
In some, I got a gold without actually trying to get a gold on the first try (International A 15, the one with ne Mercedes 190e Evo2 on the Ring for example... on my first try i beat the time for gold by 3 seconds without any effort.)!

That test angered me to no end. I failed it twice, both times right at the end of the straight, both times because I hit or passed the pace car. The third time I was only 2 seconds away from gettin gold (not alot on the ring). I still don't understand why they have the pace car. I think it only topped out at ~115 at the ring.
 
I believe PD did a pretty good job setting most of the gold times. I remember one time I missed the gold by only 0.001 seconds, and on a different test I got the exact time posted for the gold.
 
colnago
Yeah, they are "based" on the real driving tests for the FIA racing licenses.

Is that true? I've never heard that until now.
 
I believe the license and mission tests are there to separate the wannabe boy racers from the real ones.. i mean if there wasn't a challenging or annoying test in GT then it wouldn't be GT... am i correct?
 
xcsti
That test angered me to no end. I failed it twice, both times right at the end of the straight, both times because I hit or passed the pace car. The third time I was only 2 seconds away from gettin gold (not alot on the ring). I still don't understand why they have the pace car. I think it only topped out at ~115 at the ring.

I´m with you on that one. The pacecar actually prevents you from setting a really fast lap on some tracks ( ex. Nürburgring, Costa Di Amalfi) and you end up either hitting it or passing it, wich is total failure. Don´t know how many times I ran the Costa Di Amalfi guided lap before I finally nailed it :yuck: Either a faster pacecar, or no pacecar at all for GT5!
 
The pacecar is as fast as you are, if you push it harder it will drive harder too...or at least its supposed to.
 
Yeah, except, on that downhill run at Costa Di Amalfi, for example, it totally brakes way too early...
 
Sven
Yeah, except, on that downhill run at Costa Di Amalfi, for example, it totally brakes way too early...

You have to make faster split times in order for the pace car to push harder, that's all. And NO you can't beat the pace car no matter what you do.
 
If by beat you mean pass then yes on the straight with the merc on the ring
 
Dr.AK
In some, I got a gold without actually trying to get a gold on the first try (International A 15, the one with ne Mercedes 190e Evo2 on the Ring for example... on my first try i beat the time for gold by 3 seconds without any effort.)!

You are absolutely right. Some tests and most races are too easy but 7-8 missions are way too hard. There is seems to be a big discrepency there.
 
GN+
Is that true? I've never heard that until now.

When I say "based", I mean that PD tries to recreate the "feelin" of FIA driving tests on sanctioned courses. I remember catching either "Motorsport Mundial" or "Motorvision" (God I miss that show!!!) and they had would be hopeful racers doing several driving tests (8-10 in all I believe) on a track in a Mitsubishi Evo. It was either for a "Grade B" or "Grade C" licence.

It was basically like it is in the game. You have to drive a car around a portion of the track, in a given amount of time. I think they even ran water on some sections. The track even had the "RALLI ART" billboards on the fences. :)
 
I agree that some license tests were surprisingly easy. There is one test in which you fave to drive an RX-8 through some corners at El Capitan. It was my first run and the first time I drove the RX-8 and WHACK! I got gold by over half a second...
 
I would think that they would just use plain old statistics for the license tests.

You collect a large sample of times from the beta testers, and use standard deviations to get the gold, silver, and bronze times.
 
mantor
I would think that they would just use plain old statistics for the license tests.

You collect a large sample of times from the beta testers, and use standard deviations to get the gold, silver, and bronze times.

I guess they simply use the 3 best times.
 
Ha Ha Three best times? then they must have had either really inconsisten drivers or some were not that good, for example, i beleive the gold time ofr IA-15 is 9:02? correct me if i'm wrong, and the bronze time is ten minutes on the dot ..for some reason i think i'm wrong but whatever the point is that that is really big difference and you'd think the beta testers for the liscense tests would be good.
 
Back