How do you guys do it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sniffs
  • 72 comments
  • 2,296 views
CAMAROBOY69
I also wouldnt agree with that. Its actually quite easy to make money in America. We just love to spend it and be in debt. :)
Bingo 👍 I think that in general, Americans don't really appreciate money like we should, since it can be easy to come across here (but usually isn't). $50,000 credit limits don't help this mentality at all.
 
kylehnat
Bingo 👍 I think that in general, Americans don't really appreciate money like we should, since it can be easy to come across here (but usually isn't). $50,000 credit limits don't help this mentality at all.


Yeah, that is very true. Debt is way too easy to get into here. Heck they day you turn eighteen you get a half dozen credit cards in the mail. It's a shame really they bombard young people like that because it can be really tempting and if somone doesn't have a good role model they will easily fall into the typical credit card traps.
 
IMADreamer
Yeah, that is very true. Debt is way too easy to get into here. Heck they day you turn eighteen you get a half dozen credit cards in the mail. It's a shame really they bombard young people like that because it can be really tempting and if somone doesn't have a good role model they will easily fall into the typical credit card traps.

18, I got one of those letters that said I was pre-qualified for a credit card yesterday in the mail. My parents then started to joke about it, and said I got my first one when I was 5.
 
most of you that have replied on your parts say you go for the Uber cheap peices that you can find. several of you actually have stated that you get it from the 'rents. like I said earlier, I can't afford the basic repair parts, either, but, then, when trying to save money by buying a decade old leftover and finding out it needs about 500 bucks worth of parts to pass inspection...

FoolKiller:the Amish constantly rotate between drivers for various situations. what I get is the young married guys, or the guys who have young families. i'm also considered one of the most reliable drivers (when I have a working vehicle), because i show up EARLY, and can live with everything that's going on with them. FYI: the Amish rarely drive more than 7 or 8 miles in a buggy, as there are still jackasses on the roads that will run them over without blinking.

as for 'restaurant Jobs"...i have about 6 years in restaruanteering allready on my Resume/CV...however, what their looking for, lately, is middle aged wonem, preferably minorities...because the American male is considered a lazy Arse when it comes to jobs not involving computers, picking up stuff, or non professional.

Exige: i can guarentee that american cars are NOT dirt cheap to keep running, and, I believe, can persons over forty like Duke. american repair and maintenece is incredibly involved and complicated. what an auto mech relative of mine told me is that he would rather give up the whole 9 yards rather than attend yet another repair service update every couple of months. my example: computer for the equivelant of a Vaux Senator, 200 quid...windsheild for same, another 200 quid, plus a tenner for the inspection...and that was just in the first year.

i agree with the bits about getting into debt in a hurry...I'm 10 grand in the hole...and 4 or 5 of that is in cars and repair parts :P

th only thing I got in the mail at eighteen was a friggin tampon (which is why I don't use my real name very often)
 
3 types I often encounter:

1) Kids that just abuses the credit card to get whatever they want for their car(s).

2) People who make XXXXload of money. "Several grand for the modified 351?, no problem, ship it to my house!"

3) Yes, the rich kids. I've see plenty of kids with what seem like an unlimited funds. One kid I knew in 7th grade was getting something like $500 a month! In the late 80's!?@!
 
What I always see is those Chinese/Vietnamese people in the 20's who get a honkin' expensive car from their parents and drive them around. I've seen a Vietnamese guy driving a SL65 AMG, and he wasn't over 25.
 
GT4_Rule
What I always see is those Chinese/Vietnamese people in the 20's who get a honkin' expensive car from their parents and drive them around. I've seen a Vietnamese guy driving a SL65 AMG, and he wasn't over 25.
I used to notice that, all the time. They had the flashiest cars, expensive everything. I could never tell if they were just filthy rich, or just liked showing off.
 
Status symbols. Asian kids put a lot into status symbols, and one of the things that money can't buy you at home in Asia (remember my salary?) is a car.

Consider that a 20 year old would make (at most, in an average job) under $1800 a year (my aforementioned $7k is already middle management salary)... maybe $3000 if they're really lucky.

That leaves them with maybe $300 disposable income every year, or $1500 if they're lucky... now you know why a lot of asians live with their parents. And given taxes here, all that 1.5k will get you is a secondhand Ford Festiva (no, you can't even get a Sentra for that little).

That's why Asians are so hung up on cars when they get to the US... and why they start buying really expensive ones when they actually get into the money.

And, back on topic? I'm finally getting my next mod. A set of original headers, $200, secondhand. Frigging sweet. :lol:
 
I got my wheels for $300 at a swap meet.

Christmas and Birthday. Plus, I save a little bit up from allowance/ odd jobs/ babysitting. (Haven't gotten a response on any of my job applications..)

In parts, my chevy's up to $940 ish, including the wheels. I've paid for maybe $550 of that, the rest were christmas and birthday presents.


What I always see is those Chinese/Vietnamese people in the 20's who get a honkin' expensive car from their parents and drive them around. I've seen a Vietnamese guy driving a SL65 AMG, and he wasn't over 25.
There was a Senior at my school named Thanh last year who went from a '94 SL 500 to an '04 Z06. Apparently his family owned a few nail salons, and they were quite well off.
 
Sniffs
as for 'restaurant Jobs"...i have about 6 years in restaruanteering allready on my Resume/CV...however, what their looking for, lately, is middle aged wonem, preferably minorities...because the American male is considered a lazy Arse when it comes to jobs not involving computers, picking up stuff, or non professional.
Don't stop at restaurants, hit up every job possible, anything that is more steady and paying decent wages. You put on your best clothes and you go fill out applications at all of them. Two days later call everyone to ask if they have had a chance to review your application yet. That alone can make them pull it out while they are still on the phone with you. After that give it a week and call again. By this point you appear serious about the job. If you keep trying you will eventually find something.

If you find you need more money look for a second job or one that pays even more.

I always follow this statement: The money is out there, you just have to find it.
 
Sniffs: Do you live in a real small town or are there stores like home depot, wal mart, and things of that nature there? If so check those out. Walmarts pay sucks at the start but if you hang in there you get good benifits which is a big part of the employment battle. Places like Home Depot will start you out at 12$ an hour which isn't a ton but it's ok money. Plus you can get a lot of hours if you want. Also don't forget about job placement agencys. They will take a chunk of your salary for a while but they can find you some pretty decent jobs too. It's something to think about.

It sounds like you are a worker and that's what matters. Eventually something will happen for you and you will catch the break you deserve.
 
I got my first job when I was 15, doing 2 hours a day after school and then college. When I got to college, I found I had a fair bit of extra time on my hands, and so I did loads of overtime; on Wednesdays in my first year, I only had lessons in the morning,finishing at 12.30pm. Then I'd go straight to work to do more overtime, and also requested (and did) work on Saturday mornings. I also saved up a whole load of money.

Then I got my current job, and put together a nice load of savings, as I lived with my parents. I still do today (hence the Internet access). I pay rent, but apart from that I have no bills, so I (currently) have a high disposable income, and can afford to run a car and still save money each month. I only have 1 credit card, purely for petrol and emergencies (helps me keep track of how much money I spend on petrol, and I can build up a good credit rating - handy for when I eventually need a mortgage). I don't have a pension, although I'm shopping around for one (and damn, it's confusing).

It also helps that the car I drive is dirt cheap to get parts for if you know where to look. Shows often have autojumbles, and there's almost always something on the local scrapheaps that can be scavenged. I'm also a member of a Mini club, and there's always other members who can help me out - for example, on my first Mini, the bootlid rusted through one of the numberplate screw holes, and I managed to get another bootlid and a second-hand set of boot hinges for free (I did buy some paint to make it match the car, but that was purely cosmetic and not absolutely necessary).

On the job side, persevere. You never know what will turn up. I got my first job (clerical stuff in a doctor's surgery) because my dad saw the advert in the window when he was out walking the dog. Look around - are there any potential employers advertising? Any big population centres (towns or cities) nearby? (Within 50 miles or so.) Apply for as many jobs as you can. You can always turn them down later. Don't worry about leaving the Amish - you can't let them rule your life. Put yourself first, keep trying and eventually you'll get a break.
 
foolKiller and Dreamer: in a small town of 8000 where the life emphasis is on the conection to the interstate, we have only three kinds of business here, now...Bars, big box stores, and restaurants. as we have a college campus in town, there are always gobs of teens and 20 somethings available for low end work. also, most places have a big-arse sign on the door when they ARE looking that says 'mature applicants encouraged to apply"...which is kind of groan inducing.

it's kinda hard to persevere when the nearest town is at least 8 miles in any direction...after at least 3 miles of back roads to get to the hub :P with no vehicle, Bicycle, and only Shanks Mare to get around on, with no cash, credit, or otherwise to keep myself from dying of heat exhaustion,etc...i have a problem. and before you ask: every time I DO manage to rig something to gt into town for something, it's a couple hours of continuous gripe about having to waste money, time and effort for no return. the hauling job was the LAST job left in the area hwere i didn't hear those five famous words "we're not hiring right now"
 
Have you thought about getting a bigger vehicle so you can haul more people and thus intake more money?
 
Sniffs
foolKiller and Dreamer: in a small town of 8000 where the life emphasis is on the conection to the interstate, we have only three kinds of business here, now...Bars, big box stores, and restaurants.
I can sympathize. I grew up in a twon of 10,000 and since I didn't want to cut tobacco I didn't have a full-time job until I was 18. And then I had to drive a half hour each way for that. I haven't lived in that town in 9 years. It's even worse now because of so much migrant work there is no room for the high school kids to work on farms.

It might just be a matter of saving up what money you can until you have enough to make a deposit on an apartment in an area with more work.

Are you considering college at all? Even if you have to do loans for it (I did) you will have a degree and most schools actually have a department designed to find you a job.

Another option: How close are you to Blue Bell in Montgomery County? The employment service my company uses has an office there. They can get you something that you would be qualified for.

EDIT: We also have another agency in Philly that we use.
 
Hmm. Well I'm 18 years old, I bought my car for 1200 that I saved up. I get 300 a week and it all goes to the Talon, until october when I am going to get 2 new jobs, and a car payment lol. I bust my ass working, thats how I can afford to build my Talon.
 
FK: actually, college is MOST of the reason I'm in the hole. 4 grand in grants. i had to leave college to get a job to pay for my first car (the other 6 is in car parts, 2 hospital bills, and an electric bill), which I could only keep 3 years before it fell to peices due to old age.

i think you mean blue ball? that's mabey 100 and some odd miles southeast of where i am, the deadest spot in the state. I'm up in Jefferson county, about 6.5 miles from the clearfeild county line

a little FYI...up here, the apartments are like 500 bucks a month with security deposit for what's probably just enough room to stand up. and I don't have any money whatsoever at the moment.

Slicks: they pay by the mile...not the load. asking more than 50 cents a mile gives Amish a heart attack...tho the way the gas is going, it has to go up to a dollar a mile, now, or you won't get your burned fuel back :P

Nismo: ah, conneticut...i heard it's basically a giant suborb for NYC's professional white collar workers? :P if Mitsu pulls out of the US, you might have some parts trouble with that talon. good luck getting that all the way back up to par, though.
 
Sniffs
I've spent 10 years on the road, gone through eleven vehicles, and never had a chance to do even HALF the things you guys can do with your vehicles.

Well there is your problem, going through 11 cars in 10 years, this puts you financialy behind.
 
Well I'm 17 years old and I don't have a car. My family only has the minivan since we can't afford another car, so that's what I drive usually if my parents don't need it. Otherwise I rely on either the bus system of my friends for rides.

I know what you mean about kids with cars though. Living in a very priviledged area, most of my friends have parents who bought them cars or were old cars that their parents handed down to them. Granted very few of my friends live in West Bellevue et al. (the very very rich area), so most of my friends cars are like 10 year old Toyotas, Hondas, etc.

I have a couple of friends who bought their own cars from the money they earned. Of course it certainly helps that none of them have to pay for daily necessities (their parents do it for them), but still, they don't have really flashy cars.
 
RobicoPL: this list might explain a few things

cars in purchase order
85 Mercury marquis Brougham $125
repairs: c. 600 bucks

83 Chevy Celebrity FREE! (traded up)

83 Toyota Camry LE hatch $265
repairs: patch fuel tank 15-20 bucks

91 Chevy Lumina 3.1 $2000
repairs: windsheild 300, computer 300, brakes and rotors

91 acclaim $500
repairs: rear ended by brand new Camry...350 damage

91 taurus GL $500
repairs: body pannels shot. sold for scrap...10 bucks!

98 Sierra k 1500 shortbed $8500
reposessed before first payment made. owner was former Amish that returned

92 taurus LX $700
repairs: 450 deer damage, replace brake calipers and exhaust...engine must be removed to replace broken headbolt...$2000

92 S-Blazer Tahoe: $2000
repairs: dies at half throttle, assumed to have thrown cam
200 bucks in new tires
i am still paying for it!


i think you guys can see why I'm grousing :P
 
Sniffs
RobicoPL: this list might explain a few things

cars in purchase order
85 Mercury marquis Brougham $125
repairs: c. 600 bucks

83 Chevy Celebrity FREE! (traded up)

83 Toyota Camry LE hatch $265
repairs: patch fuel tank 15-20 bucks

91 Chevy Lumina 3.1 $2000
repairs: windsheild 300, computer 300, brakes and rotors

91 acclaim $500
repairs: rear ended by brand new Camry...350 damage

91 taurus GL $500
repairs: body pannels shot. sold for scrap...10 bucks!

98 Sierra k 1500 shortbed $8500
reposessed before first payment made. owner was former Amish that returned

92 taurus LX $700
repairs: 450 deer damage, replace brake calipers and exhaust...engine must be removed to replace broken headbolt...$2000

92 S-Blazer Tahoe: $2000
repairs: dies at half throttle, assumed to have thrown cam
200 bucks in new tires
i am still paying for it!


i think you guys can see why I'm grousing :P

Oh, i see. Try buying something reliable, maybe try a japenese car. 92-96 camry, 95-99 maxima, and 94-97 accord. These cars should last you a while. Looks like your having bad luck, or just picking the wrong car.
 
92 taurus LX $700
repairs: 450 deer damage, replace brake calipers and exhaust...engine must be removed to replace broken headbolt...$2000
That doesn't make sense. Why pay $2000 on a $700 car? You could buy a car nearly 3 times as good for that money.
 
Robico: actually, I did *points to the toyota in the listing*. unfortunately, someone actually beat up a toyota!! is that even possible? to put it all together the poor thig needed
a: a new set of tires
b: front fenders/wings ...i literally poked a hole through the drivers side with a pinky
c:a whole new jack and tool set...only two of the tools were there, and the jack was a solid mass of rust because of
d:rear wheel wells completely rotted out
e: enitre rear lighting system needed completely replaced...wiring harness and all (i priced them...simply buying the tailling tlenses was out of question...300 bucks apeice, and they must be imported from Japan)
f: a complete engine rebuild or swap (someone had disassembled the engine earlier in it's lifetime...giant runs of "blue goo" cascaded down from the cam cover AND the valve cover [2-SE ohc 4], indicating a cheap reassembly, and spark plugs drowning in oil meant they didn't catch it all)

Exige: i got that estimate from a dealership for replacing the head bolt in the first place. they told me they would have to strip the entire engine/tranny combo OUT of the vehicle to change one broken bolt

also: i just ran into two real doozies today when I went in town to fill out an application. wish I'd had a camera with me, cause this was the first time I'd seen a real life Z31. it was an all white 93 300zx in immaculate shape on the outside. it appeared to have the correct wheels on it, and was priced around 10 large. of in another corner was a snatch-me-up screaming 98 200 SX se for only about 4 grand

i think you can see why i don't buy reliable Japanese...anything over 2 grand is more than I can fenagle, that Sierra nonwithstanding. the closest I could get in my AFFORDABLE range is the 88 or older DL/GL estate i saw for sale today. it wasn't even labeled legacy, yet.
 
I got my license when I was 14 and soon after I got my first car when I was 15 which was a 1992 Honda Prelude with 225,000 on the clock for $2500. I borrowed the money from my parents and paid it back within a year. With a summer job, which is only 3 months, paying $12 and working 50+ hours a week, I was able to make around $2000 a month. My school job started at minimum wage ($5.15) and after being there for two years, it's around $7.50 now. But anyhow, I drove the Prelude for two years while paying back the folks, for my gas, and insurance. After paying the car off and working two summers and a school year, I was able to bank a little savings up and I came across the Subaru. I knew it was going to be a lot of money at $22,000 for a 16 year old, but I felt I was ready for it. I put $6,000 down on it and loaned the rest out for 72 months. Monthly payments are around $270, with $110 for insurance, and also gas costs. During the school year I work about 30 hours a week after school everyday and some Saturdays. I recently sold the Prelude which gave a little safety money in case hours get short in the winter. I also have a 1972 Chevy C-10 that I am restoring which has about $2500 into it. Everything that I own I have is something that I have worked for and bought with my money. I guess the best advice I can give is to find a job you enjoy working and work however much you need to get where you want to be. 👍
 
License when you're 14? Which state/country do you live?

Thanks for sharing the little story with us :)
 
My car costs too much money to own... :( Everything is expensive for it, especially gas ;)
 
niky
Status symbols. Asian kids put a lot into status symbols, and one of the things that money can't buy you at home in Asia (remember my salary?) is a car.

Consider that a 20 year old would make (at most, in an average job) under $1800 a year (my aforementioned $7k is already middle management salary)... maybe $3000 if they're really lucky.


That's why Asians are so hung up on cars when they get to the US... and why they start buying really expensive ones when they actually get into the money.

Sorry to drag this on, but where do you guys live? Here all of us Asian guys are the poorest of the bunch, for example I have to walk in -30 degrees, knee-deep snow for 2 kms to get to work.

Then again, these rich kids were probably born in US anyway, spending Daddy's money as fast as burning them. There is one more thing to point out: The reason why all people are so hung up on cars is that they love them.

except when they are social climbers.
 
I can sympathise. My current car was a lucky find. Previously, I drove a car I got for free, an AE82 Nova, same as my current one, 'cept it had previously been used as a Farm vehicle.

here's a tip...if a vehicle is an older one and was previously used by a farmer, particularly an old farmer...DO NOT BUY IT. Farm vehicles are driven into the ground. the old Nova has gigantic rust holes everywhere. when we recieved it, it still had a bunch of junk (and HAY, of all things) in the trunk. The structural difference between my old car and new car is ultra apparent when driven.

Now, where you live, your choices are limited, I'll admit that much. so you've gotta be picky. Look EVERYWHERE in the car. I settled for a bit of rust and a sagging headliner, stuff that can be easily fixed. The rest of the paint is spectacular.

My budget's so thin I've gotta hold off on Mods 'till school's done. You 18 year olds...you hold off on modifications until you're done with College. That's MUCH more expensive.
 
GT4_Rule
License when you're 14? Which state/country do you live?

Thanks for sharing the little story with us :)
North Dakota/USA
 
Back