How do you guys keep track of your cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hot_cheese
  • 56 comments
  • 4,875 views
While I love the concept of MyGranTurismo.net, it practice it's too fiddly for me. I haven't used it for several weeks now, but I know that one of my main complaints was not being able to see everything on one screen. Too much clicking "Next Page" or whatever. [...]

There is a setting for displaying all entries found in one unique page, this is among the main buttons on the car list ("cars/page", set it to "All"). I have always a browser tab open with that whole list, using Ctrl+F on my browser (Chrome is better here) to find a car instantly by name, and use another tab for using filters, seeing (recently added) car pages, the eventlist, an other player page to compare garage, etc.

I've designed it in order to use it myself in first place, that "cars/page" option exists since the very first day, and is even saved as long as you don't close your browser :)

And keep in mind that if a design flaw you find, it can always be corrected.
 
Just selected all my cars....for heavens sake I thought it was taking forever.
 
I took the official list, made it two-column, 8 point font in excel, sorted by make/name, then printed the sucker. I just cross off the ones I have... pink hi-lighter for premiums, yellow for standards. I primarily use it just to avoid buying duplicates.
 
Then I assume you don't have multiple types of the same cars? ^^

4 - 69 Z/28
2 - Zr1
4 - 70 Challenger RT
and on

My older obtained cars are usually fully modified, and decrease with modification with each duplicate purchase.
 
4 - 69 Z/28
2 - Zr1
4 - 70 Challenger RT
and on

My older obtained cars are usually fully modified, and decrease with modification with each duplicate purchase.

You probably just have a bigger brain capacity than I do... <g>
 
Personally I use the strategy I have been using for GT4, which is a excel spreadsheet on which I copy the whole car list.

I then proceed to put a red BG on all the cars in the list and switch that to green as I buy cars.
 
I have like, less than 20 cars.

I used to hoard cars, so I just sell cars that I don't need anymore. ^_^
 
I have 170ish. I created a word doc that is separated into car classes. then I added the following behind each name:
FT (Full Tune)
PT (Partial Tune)
ST (Stock Tune)
 
I've found that one difficulty is always to find a car with a similar performance to what your friends are using online (I like tight races - I also barely ever tune my cars, but some aren't 100% stock, so the GT5 list wouldn't be accurate). I made a google doc spreadsheet of only my favourites, with year, power, weight, and power/weight ratio (normalised to a weight of 1000 kg to get a quick feel for power). Then I just ask for the Power and Weight of my friend's cars, and pick something close enough. It did require a good 20 minutes of typing, and eventually I'll move cars in/out of my favourites, which means I'll have to update the list.

One thought for a nice feature: car "playlists". Would allow you to send cars to certain folders that you name yourself, based on your own personal criteria. Oldies, Le Mans, Stock moderns, Supercars, Slightly tuned modern cars, etc.

As for trying to figure out if I own a car or not when I see it in the UCD... I can usually tell by memory, but once in a while I have to cross-check... I think I have ~ 250 cars now... It will get very unwieldy soon...
 
That My GT5 iPhone app is 4.2 only I'm jailbroken 4.0.2 still lol plus has alot of bad revues I'm try the web site you guys suggested on my iPhone4

The people who have actually used it have given it good reviews, the bad reviews are from people just clicking on the cars and complaining it opens google.

If you want to keep a checklist of cars you own in GT5, the app works great! I have been using it daily and it's very handy!
 
Gonna make me a excel spreadsheet for this soonisch.
Then I can add which tuning parts are added(or not ) and the actual setup for each track for the cars.

But think I will wait with this untill I get this 1000 car trophy, got well over 500 now.
Idea is to get every available car at least once in the garage and just put the ones I really care to race with in favorites :)

Untill rFactor 2 comes out and forget about the whole thing alltogether perhaps :D
 
Excel Spreadsheet and mygranturismo.net
 
The people who have actually used it have given it good reviews, the bad reviews are from people just clicking on the cars and complaining it opens google.

If you want to keep a checklist of cars you own in GT5, the app works great! I have been using it daily and it's very handy!

I too have been using this app and it helps a lot!!!!(beats a lot of paper trail). I do keep a separate list for the race cars.
 
I love racing online. The most fun we've had is where we set certain limits, (HP, Weight, or power to weight ratio etc..)

With that in mind, I'm in the process of making a spreadsheet with car specs. Weight, HP STOCK and HP with MAX MODS as nearly every one of my 350 cars is fully modded. I typically don't do the mods that you can't undo. (Ridiculous that you can't ADD weight after the reduction..as I have friends that have done this in real life. to make weight in a given class)

I'm not sure but I think my categories will be:
Car Manufacturer
Car Name
Race or Street class
Weight
HP min
HP Max

For now I just have the 100 cars that are in my favs hand-written on a notebook. However, my favs changes constantly so a digital version would be much better.
 
This should make the car collector award even more difficult:nervous:
 
The latest Official Playstation Magazine has a nice two page list of all the cars. Scanned it, printed it, and I'll be just crossing them off on there from now on. (My other list was 8 pages, so 2 is much easier to deal with.)

I'm using the magazine to check it off. Beware though their list isn't complete. I've already had to write in four cars. The year is wrong on at least one of them too and I had to fix it. I don't know where they got their list lol. It works for me though.
 
I mostly just can't keep track of them. Not long term anyway. 250 odd so far, and I can only remember broadly which model cars I have, not which specific trim/spec.

And remembering which ones have had oil changes, rebuilds and refreshes... no hope. They were my pet hate in GT3/4, and I was really dissapointed to see them still in GT5.

There are some elements of the new garage I do like, though. The favourites page is useful, if limited, and I like being able to modify settings without 'getting in' a car.

I like JesterHat84's idea for user defined folders. That'd be really handy.
 
By memory.

Buying duplicates and triplicates.

That's how good my memory is.
 
I don't keep track of them all :D

Most days I go to my car list and change one of the search parameters; search by FF, 4WD, FR etc; by power, then just select one I feel like driving. I often surprise myself by finding a car I forgot I had 👍
 
Back