How does SR affect DR for ranking

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 41 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
Sorry, if this was solved already, but I didn't see this in the discussion on door number.

So, I have been keeping a close eye on my car number and my race position for a while and now, because of some misfortune, I have (pretty much) solved it.

In the FIA I noticed that the car number matched your pre-qualifying grid position. We all knew this, But, as many have noted, it wasn't always aligned to the DR rank of a player, which seemed odd.

I had my SR bumped down to 83 points, which left me an S/S driver and when you take an SR hit, you get matched with the C's and D's. We all knew this was the case, but we weren't quite sure why this was the case. I got into the daily race A today and I was car #4 despite being the only DR S player, which means that your car number and race rank is based on SR first, then DR and by extension, matchmaking is achieved by SR first, and DR second.

SR must be a factor that is applied to your DR value, to give an overall score for matchmaking and it seems VERY heavily weighted because I was behind B and C drivers in the rank!

So, there ya go.

interesting... as a longtime holder of Sr.99/99, it would explain why I have gotten a door number of 1, when in races with much faster qualifiers than I... at Dr.B

Last edited:
I had my SR bumped down to 83 points, which left me an S/S driver and when you take an SR hit, you get matched with the C's and D's. We all knew this was the case, but we weren't quite sure why this was the case. I got into the daily race A today and I was car #4 despite being the only DR S player, which means that your car number and race rank is based on SR first, then DR and by extension, matchmaking is achieved by SR first, and DR second.
This is literally the opposite of all evidence, and a fundamental misunderstanding of what you're seeing.

DR D = 0* - 3,999*
DR C = 4,000 - 9,999*
DR S = 50,000 - 75,000

Any DR C driver at 8,000 or above will be 'ranked' above any DR S driver. That's around 33% of all DR C ranks. Almost any* DR D driver will be 'ranked' below, except those on 8-9, 80-99 and 800-999. That's around 5% of DR D ranks.

*Except where SR prevents an increase in DR grade.

Last edited:
I have noticed that the door number you are issued for a race is GT Sport's projection of where you should finish based on your rank against others in the room you were matched to. If you make your focus to at least finish at that projected position or better, you generally receive positive points. The higher you place, the more points you get. I've also noticed that the strength of field you are placed against has a bearing on points as well. If your in a really tough field of drivers, finishing at your projected place typically yields higher points as well, and vice versa.

This is literally the opposite of all evidence, and a fundamental misunderstanding of what you're seeing.

DR D = 0* - 4,999*
DR C = 5000 - 9,999*
DR S = 50,000 - 75,000

Any DR C driver at 7,500 or above will be 'ranked' above any DR S driver. That's around a quarter of all DR C ranks. Almost any* DR D driver will be 'ranked' below, except those on 8-9, 75-99 and 750-999. That's 5% of DR D ranks.

*Except where SR prevents an increase in DR grade.

I am just reporting what I saw.

I was the lone S driver. There were no A drivers. There was 2 B drivers and the rest were C and D. I wish I had saved the replay.

I was car Number 4.

Based on what we have all seen in the FIA races, the car number coincided with your rank in the race, which seems to be how the grid is sorted. If that holds true, then having a number 4 on the car must mean that I was the 4th ranked driver.

The next time someone takes an SR hit, save the replays and let's examine it. My Sr is currently sitting at 88 which should still put me in a lopsided room next time. I will grab the replay for examination.

BTW, I started from pole. So, if there were no times, I would have been 4th. What other explanation can there be other than SR being a factor acting on DR before sorting?

So, let say I have 50000 DR points, but I have 80 SR points (still S/S but only just). If SR is used as a percentage, I would end up with 40000 Dr for matchmaking, so SR must be weighted so that the SR reduced DR by more than a straight %. For me to be less than a C driver, my DR would have to have been divided by a factor of 10 (or thereabouts).

I could be wrong, there may have been two other B's in that room. None the less, I was 100% the only S and there were definitely no A's. I wanted to save it, but I was stupid and exited accidentally.

Last edited:

I was the lone S driver. There were no A drivers. There was 2 B drivers and the rest were C and D. I wish I had saved the replay.

I was car Number 4.

Based on what we have all seen in the FIA races, the car number coincided with your rank in the race, which seems to be how the grid is sorted. If that holds true, then having a number 4 on the car must mean that I was the 4th ranked driver.

The next time someone takes an SR hit, save the replays and let's examine it. My Sr is currently sitting at 88 which should still put me in a lopsided room next time. I will grab the replay for examination.

I had the same sort of thing happen to me.
After a bad last race at Monza I lost over 2000 Dr and my SR went down to 70.
The next day was a willow springs, first race put me on pole against DR D SR S grid (number 1 on my car).. And it was sink or swim time. I managed to stay out front and win a massive 8 DR but my SR was heading in the right direction.
Next race was in a mix of DR A and B but I don't recall my door number.
Third race,
I found myself with number four on my car,
I found this strange as I had read the post on the door number relating to your rank and myself being the only S/S ranked driver in the race there was a couple of DR A but the rest were B.
Unless I've missed something maybe there are a couple of exceptions or special circumstances to the ranking door number rule.

What other explanation can there be other than SR being a factor acting on DR before sorting?

Any DR C driver at 7,500 or above will be 'ranked' above any DR S driver.

SR is used initially to get people of similar SR into the same lobby. The door number is exclusively DR related and the only reason you were ranked 4 was that the game treated 3 C drivers as ahead of you. It hasn't been an issue for you before probably because you haven't raced DR C's in a while.

SR is used initially to get people of similar SR into the same lobby. The door number is exclusively DR related and the only reason you were ranked 4 was that the game treated 3 C drivers as ahead of you. It hasn't been an issue for you before probably because you haven't raced DR C's in a while.

Ok, I'm lost. If SR is used to get people of similar rank in the same room, why is it that when my SR is 99, I am in a room full of DR S drivers, but when SR drops, I end up in rooms full of D's?

So, @Famine "any DR C driver will be ranked any DR S". How does that work?

Ok, I'm lost. If SR is used to get people of similar rank in the same room, why is it that when my SR is 99, I am in a room full of DR S drivers, but when SR drops, I end up in rooms full of D's?

So, @Famine "any DR C driver will be ranked any DR S". How does that work?

I was thinking that myself after taking a bit SR hit it's like PD want to put you to the test SINK OR SWIM and putting you in a room full of DR D drivers will be a mighty DR downgrade if you finish last in that race.
It's only happened to me once and I stayed ahead but I can only imagine what could happen if I got dropped into the pack.

And I think the other part of the door number mystery is the game recognises 7500 as being higher than 50000 for some reason.

Not really. You're trying to explain what you saw with a theory that doesn't fit any established data, and claiming you've "SOLVED" something already solved.

I was car Number 4.

Okay... we went through all this in the main DR/door number discussion a few months ago.

Let's say that on your old Windows 98 computer you have files named "File_1", "File_2", "File 3" and so on. Get your computer to sort them by name and you'll get:

File_1
File_2
File_3

Let's say that your file collection reaches ten. Get your computer to sort them by name and you'll get:

File_1
File_10
File_2
File_3
File_4
File_5
File_6
File_7
File_8
File_9

You miss ten days so skip to File_20...

File_1
File_10
File_2
File_20
File_3
File_4
File_5
File_6
File_7
File_8
File_9

You get a file every day for the next 80 days...

File_1
File_10
File_100
File_2
File_20
File_3
File_30
File_4
File_40
File_5
File_50
File_6
File_60
File_7
File_70
File_8
File_80
File_9
File_90

This is "literal" sorting, and it's how GT Sport deals with raw DR scores. Only it does it the other way about, ranking descending rather than ascending. That means that when it looks at raw DR scores it will rank them from high to low like this:

Obviously there's no 100,000, 90,000 or 80,000 scores in GT Sport - the maximum that DR S can be is 75,000 - they're just there for illustration of where they would be ranked. This means that every S-grade driver will be ranked below anyone who has a raw DR score that begins with an 8 - whether it's 8,999 or just 8. Or a 9 - whether it's 9,999 or just 9.

A just-S-grade driver on 50,000 would be ranked below a driver with a DR starting with a 6, 7, 8 or 9.

There are normally 4,000 possible scores* for a DR D driver to hold - 0 to 3,999. Of those, 222 would be ranked above any possible DR S score. They are 8, 9, 80-99 inclusive and 800-999 inclusive. Assuming even distribution, that's 5.5% of all D drivers who would be ranked above any possible S driver.

There are normally 6,000 possible scores* for a DR C driver to hold - 4,000 to 9,999. Of those, 2,000 would be ranked above any possible DR S score. They are 8,000-9,999 inclusive. Assuming even distribution, that's 33% of all C drivers who would be ranked above any possible S driver.

If a maxed-out S driver at 75,000 entered a 20-car lobby with 10 C drivers and 9 D drivers, they would, assuming even distribution, be ranked below 3.795 of their opponents, and wear a door number of 4 or 5 as a result. If it was 16 cars with 8 Cs and 7 Ds, it'd be 3.025 and door number 3 or 4.

I was car Number 4.
Which I think qualifies as "not bad for a few scribbles on the back of an envelope". Although I did say 7,500 would be higher than 75,000 earlier - it wouldn't be. It would go, in ascending order, 7, 70-79, 700-799, 7,000-7,999, 70,000-75,000, 8, 80-89 (and so on). I've edited that accordingly

*It is possible to have much more than this if your DR is capped by your SR.

Last edited:
And I think the other part of the door number mystery is the game recognises 7500 as being higher than 50000 for some reason.

Are we sure about this? Because the only way to. See this is if thw SR is low enough to bump you down into one of these easy rooms.

@Famine, ok, I follow and that all makes sense, but it doesn't explain why the SR drop puts people into easy rooms unless the SR is used as a multiplier of some sort. If the SR were valued at 2X or something then 83 would become 41,5% X 50000DR would give a DR rank of 20750. That makes more sense when ranking no?

Last edited:
You're getting put into these races with lower drivers as the game matches SR99 drivers first, so if your SR is let's say 85 you won't be matched with the faster guys as they usually are in the upper 90s and thereby the game already filled 20 spots with players of high SR. The rest then gets mixed into races that need more participants.

it doesn't explain why the SR drop puts people into easy rooms unless the SR is used as a multiplier of some sort
How SR is used in matchmaking is absolutely unrelated to how DR is ranked.

Put simply, the game will try to find people who are online, entered in the same race, in your region, with similar network profiles, within acceptable ping limits, and who have the same SR score as you.

While there are drivers ranked at DR E, D, C, B, A and S with SR at 99, it's simply more common to find drivers with a lower SR at lower DR levels. SR is harder to build at lower DR ranks because, on average, lower DR drivers are absolute maniacs - so when your SR drops from 99 to 88, the matchmaking system will almost certainly find it easier to grab people with 87-89 SR from the huge pool of lower ranks of drivers than from the 10% or so who are DR A and DR S.

And then fill it up with whatever's left.

Last edited:
You're getting put into these races with lower drivers as the game matches SR99 drivers first, so if your SR is let's say 85 you won't be matched with the faster guys as they usually are in the upper 90s and thereby the game already filled 20 spots with players of high SR. The rest then gets mixed into races that need more participants.

Yep, there are multiple tiers it groups together even within the ratings, so you have to be at 99 SR to race the very top guys most of the time as that is who it groups together first at this level.

With the penalty changes I've got bashed down the tiers a couple of times and then I get pole and win or sometimes have a battle and lose to another fast guy who'll have been bashed down there too. Until I get back to the very top tier again and try to race the very best online at that time just waiting for the next race that I'll lose SR in thanks to the unfair penalties and the poor drivers.

With the penalty changes I've got bashed down the tiers a couple of times and then I get pole and win
Exactly that happened to me yesterday on the Ring, I got 16 wins out of it mostly because of stupid people that couldn‘t drive. :lol:
Jason‘s page hasn‘t updated fully yet, only half of my races are loaded in but I‘m excited to see the full numbers :dopey:

Not really. You're trying to explain what you saw with a theory that doesn't fit any established data, and claiming you've "SOLVED" something already solved.

Okay... we went through all this in the main DR/door number discussion a few months ago.

Let's say that on your old Windows 98 computer you have files named "File_1", "File_2", "File 3" and so on. Get your computer to sort them by name and you'll get:

File_1
File_2
File_3

Let's say that your file collection reaches ten. Get your computer to sort them by name and you'll get:

File_1
File_10
File_2
File_3
File_4
File_5
File_6
File_7
File_8
File_9

File_1
File_10
File_2
File_20
File_3
File_4
File_5
File_6
File_7
File_8
File_9

File_1
File_10
File_100
File_2
File_20
File_3
File_30
File_4
File_40
File_5
File_50
File_6
File_60
File_7
File_70
File_8
File_80
File_9
File_90

This is "literal" sorting, and it's how GT Sport deals with raw DR scores. Only it does it the other way about, ranking descending rather than ascending. That means that when it looks at raw DR scores it will rank them from high to low like this:

Obviously there's no 100,000, 90,000 or 80,000 scores in GT Sport - the maximum that DR S can be is 75,000 - they're just there for illustration of where they would be ranked. This means that every S-grade driver will be ranked below anyone who has a raw DR score that begins with an 8 - whether it's 8,999 or just 8. Or a 9 - whether it's 9,999 or just 9.

A just-S-grade driver on 50,000 would be ranked below a driver with a DR starting with a 6, 7, 8 or 9.

There are normally 4,000 possible scores* for a DR D driver to hold - 0 to 3,999. Of those, 222 would be ranked above any possible DR S score. They are 8, 9, 80-99 inclusive and 800-999 inclusive. Assuming even distribution, that's 5.5% of all D drivers who would be ranked above any possible S driver.

There are normally 6,000 possible scores* for a DR C driver to hold - 4,000 to 9,999. Of those, 2,000 would be ranked above any possible DR S score. They are 8,000-9,999 inclusive. Assuming even distribution, that's 33% of all C drivers who would be ranked above any possible S driver.

If a maxed-out S driver at 75,000 entered a 20-car lobby with 10 C drivers and 9 D drivers, they would, assuming even distribution, be ranked below 3.795 of their opponents, and wear a door number of 4 or 5 as a result. If it was 16 cars with 8 Cs and 7 Ds, it'd be 3.025 and door number 3 or 4.

Which I think qualifies as "not bad for a few scribbles on the back of an envelope". Although I did say 7,500 would be higher than 75,000 earlier - it wouldn't be. It would go, in ascending order, 7, 70-79, 700-799, 7,000-7,999, 70,000-75,000, 8, 80-89 (and so on). I've edited that accordingly

With the "literal" sorting it seems like it could be possible to get "stuck" at around a high D level when you have 8000-9000 points. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Thank you for the explanation, I remember going thru a period where almost every race I started I had the #1 on my door, I was wondering how PD figured I was gong to beat some of those A/S drivers.

Are we sure about this?

Yes. This was back in December...

I think I figured out door numbers and then we can be done with this tangent.

I believe the game is sorting the DR values as text and not as numerical data. Assuming the following:
E = <0
D = 0-4999
C = 5000-9999
B = 10000-29999
A = 30000-49999
S = 50000-75000

D drivers could have any digit in the first position, so if a D driver with 900 DR points is in the field, he gets door number 1 over a 75k maxed out S driver because "9" comes after "7".

C drivers could have 5 through 9 in the first position, so they can receive higher or lower numbers than S drivers, but always lower numbers than A and B drivers.

S, A, and B all work the way they are supposed to work.

These assumptions held true for the 5 races that I looked at last night.

Since then that's been confirmed in many, many Daily Races to be what GTS does.

I haven't checked FIA Races as much, but they seem to have the same problem. Ranking is correctly used to order the first grid screen after matching is complete - e.g. Cs come after Bs. But the door numbers are still lower for Cs than Bs. At least it's easy to check now there's a massive stock of FIA Race vids on youtube, and they have the place-by-place grid walk that let's you see all the numbers easily.

Title changed to reflect where this thread is going

"How does SR affect DR for ranking" - it doesn't.

Even if someone has a low SR that is limiting their DR letter - say SR B with 40000 DR points (normally DR A) but DR B - their DR points will be used for ranking and door numbers.

With the "literal" sorting it seems like it could be possible to get "stuck" at around a high D level when you have 8000-9000 points. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Thank you for the explanation, I remember going thru a period where almost every race I started I had the #1 on my door, I was wondering how PD figured I was gong to beat some of those A/S drivers.
Door number has nothing to do with how many DR points you gain or lose. Its just a sticker they slap on to your car to make it feel more realistic. it means nothing.
Well, assuming you aren't in a grid with any C or D players it can tell you how your DR compares to your opponents, but if there are any DR C or DR D players in the grid then it means absolutely nothing

How SR is used in matchmaking is absolutely unrelated to how DR is ranked.

Put simply, the game will try to find people who are online, entered in the same race, in your region, with similar network profiles, within acceptable ping limits, and who have the same SR score as you.

While there are drivers ranked at DR E, D, C, B, A and S with SR at 99, it's simply more common to find drivers with a lower SR at lower DR levels. SR is harder to build at lower DR ranks because, on average, lower DR drivers are absolute maniacs - so when your SR drops from 99 to 88, the matchmaking system will almost certainly find it easier to grab people with 87-89 SR from the huge pool of lower ranks of drivers than from the 10% or so who are DR A and DR S.

And then fill it up with whatever's left.

Just had mine drop from 57,000 to 40,000 in one race.
(SS to AB)
Have they changed it because i thought it would be reset to 50,000?

Just had mine drop from 57,000 to 40,000 in one race.
(SS to AB)
Have they changed it because i thought it would be reset to 50,000?

I guess they have... that is severe :(

I wonder if they've also stopped it boosting DR upwards? In a way that would be bad, because having it operate in one direction only means it's just points disappearing from the system.

That happened to me, now stuck at c. Get to just under the level for b and end up in a race with super fast people. Sr 99 is great but a curse as well.

"How does SR affect DR for ranking" - it doesn't.

Even if someone has a low SR that is limiting their DR letter - say SR B with 40000 DR points (normally DR A) but DR B - their DR points will be used for ranking and door numbers.

So, let's throw the door number thing out because it's irrelevant. I'm fine with the explanations.

it appears to me that the SR definitely does affect the ranking though (within an SR grade). When my SR is at 99, I end up in rooms with 50/50 DRS/DRA (more or less). As a DRS with SR 99, DR B's are rare. DR C's and D's never show up.

If I take a slight hit to SR, say 95-97, the number of DR B's in the room skyrockets. and makes up most of the field. Yes, the other DRS players are likely at the same SR level as me, but that doesn't explain the big bump in DRB's.

If I take a big SR hit, like 80-90, the room is filled with DRC's and DRD's.

Within an SR rank, there has to be something that factors upon your DR for ranking. it can't be a simple coincidence that as my SR drops (without dropping to a new letter) the room becomes populated with lower DR ranked drivers.

This happens 100% of the time. I can look at my SR value and predict the room make up and vice versa, I can tell what my SR value is (roughly) based on the room make up. It can't be a simple coincidence.

I used to believe it was simply a volume of players issue, but it became far too consistent.

I don't know what the actual factor is, but it appears to me that for every SR point below a max in a tier, there is a 3%-4% penalty on your DR.
So, hypothetically, if I am at 50000DR and I have an SR of 80 (20 points below the top, yes, I am rounding for this discussion), I will take a 60%-80 hit against my DR ranking, which leaves me at a DR of 10000-20000. IF that is the case, it would explain why as S driver would end up in a matchmaking scenario with players down in the C and D ranks.

Am I missing something? Am I the only one that has seen this consistently?

File_1
File_2
File_3

File_1
File_10
File_2
File_3
File_4
File_5
File_6
File_7
File_8
File_9

File_1
File_10
File_2
File_20
File_3
File_4
File_5
File_6
File_7
File_8
File_9

File_1
File_10
File_100
File_2
File_20
File_3
File_30
File_4
File_40
File_5
File_50
File_6
File_60
File_7
File_70
File_8
File_80
File_9
File_90

Safe to say theres too much that goes into this stuff.

That's because the pool of C and D drivers at SR 80-90 is much, much larger than the pool of S drivers at SR 80-90. At SR 99 the matchmaking finds it much easier to keep you with people at your own DR rank.

So, let's throw the door number thing out because it's irrelevant. I'm fine with the explanations.

it appears to me that the SR definitely does affect the ranking though (within an SR grade). When my SR is at 99, I end up in rooms with 50/50 DRS/DRA (more or less). As a DRS with SR 99, DR B's are rare. DR C's and D's never show up.

If I take a slight hit to SR, say 95-97, the number of DR B's in the room skyrockets. and makes up most of the field. Yes, the other DRS players are likely at the same SR level as me, but that doesn't explain the big bump in DRB's.

Within an SR rank, there has to be something that factors upon your DR for ranking. it can't be a simple coincidence that as my SR drops (without dropping to a new letter) the room becomes populated with lower DR ranked drivers.

This happens 100% of the time. I can look at my SR value and predict the room make up and vice versa, I can tell what my SR value is (roughly) based on the room make up. It can't be a simple coincidence.

I used to believe it was simply a volume of players issue, but it became far too consistent.

I don't know what the actual factor is, but it appears to me that for every SR point below a max in a tier, there is a 3%-4% penalty on your DR.
So, hypothetically, if I am at 50000DR and I have an SR of 80 (20 points below the top, yes, I am rounding for this discussion), I will take a 60%-80 hit against my DR ranking, which leaves me at a DR of 10000-20000. IF that is the case, it would explain why as S driver would end up in a matchmaking scenario with players down in the C and D ranks.

Am I missing something? Am I the only one that has seen this consistently?

Well that's not "affecting DR ranking", that's just matchmaking. @Famine already explained how SR can affect that pretty clearly.

Matchmaking is a black box that we can't experiment with, so we'll likely never know exactly how it works. It does seem to do different styles for different races even when my SR remains at 99. One factor in which style it chooses is certainly the number of players available, but I've also had it flip back and forth between well-matched and not, at times when I wouldn't expect it to be tallying with the number of players available.

But in all cases it always seems to match primarily on SR. There's no indication that it uses the results of some imagined magic_function(sr,dr) for its bucketing.

Door number has nothing to do with how many DR points you gain or lose. Its just a sticker they slap on to your car to make it feel more realistic. it means nothing.
Well, assuming you aren't in a grid with any C or D players it can tell you how your DR compares to your opponents, but if there are any DR C or DR D players in the grid then it means absolutely nothing

So which one is it?? Do the door numbers mean that that is where you are expected to finish and where you will begin making DR gains by finishing ahead of that number or losing DR if finishing behind that number or not?? It has been thoroughly explained in this very thread that your door number is your expected finish spot and that unqualified cars are lined up by DR number. Im B/S and often race with S/A/B/C/D DR drivers.

So which one is it?? Do the door numbers mean that that is where you are expected to finish and where you will begin making DR gains by finishing ahead of that number or losing DR if finishing behind that number or not?? It has been thoroughly explained in this very thread that your door number is your expected finish spot and that unqualified cars are lined up by DR number. Im B/S and often race with S/A/B/C/D DR drivers.

Your door number is not your expected finishing position, ever, no such thing exists in the game.

You gain and lose points by beating or losing to other drivers, beat S drivers as a lower rank and you'll gain more, lose to enough lower rated drivers as a S rated driver and you'll lose a lot of DR points but that is a simplistic way to look at it, the other threads explain it much more.

In any case it's not really something anyone (other than people who are testing how it works) should concern themselves with.

Back