How, er, 'big' is GTP?

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 40 comments
Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Chameleon9000
Here is what may be a difficult question: how many megabytes (on average) is a page on GTP? so basically, what i want to know is, every time i load a GTP page, how much am i downloading on average? Really, really low on data right now, and stressing like hell over weather or not GTP will use it all up... If that question is in fact answerable, thank you!

Depends on the thread. A photo thread for example, would be a data hog. A thread with just text will use much less data. Each situation is different.

Depends on the thread. A photo thread for example, would be a data hog. A thread with just text will use much less data. Each situation is different.
Yeah, I had thought of that, but a completely full page of just text, how many megs on average would that be. Literally, throw a reasonably confident number at me, and I will work around it. :)

EDIT:@daan Wow, that is a very good idea! Thanks mate! that was easy!

If you are using your phone or tablet, I'd advise you to use one of the Opera browsers available if you're low on data. They have a data-saving feature that can reduce the data usage by quite a lot. I've personally saved 45% with the time I've used it and it speeds up my 3G connection too. I'm not sure, if the computer version of Opera have this, though. 👍

If you are using your phone or tablet, I'd advise you to use one of the Opera browsers available if you're low on data. They have a data-saving feature that can reduce the data usage by quite a lot. I've personally saved 45% with the time I've used it and it speeds up my 3G connection too. I'm not sure, if the computer version of Opera have this, though. 👍
I am using PC, and here is the funny thing, i have 100 GB of internet per month, and i used most of it up playing destiny whilst i was on holiday. i will look into that though, sound interesting!

Without images, most pages will be very small, ranging between 30KB-200KB. Most images and avatars will be cached and saved in your browser's memory, and will not be re-transmitted over the Internet.

Where you'll get into trouble is with GIFs and image-heavy threads, which can quickly add several megabytes to the overall page size, and these images most likely won't be cached in your browser (unless you've already downloaded them).

I would recommend checking your browser settings or installing an "image blocking" plugin until your data rolls over.

I would just turn off automatic image loading in your web browser if I was you. The actual web page code is very small in size. I'm not sure how simply playing destiny would use nearly 100 GB over a month, unless there were some massive patches you had to get.

Yeah, gaming shouldn't be hitting that kind of numbers on its own, since the whole goal of online gaming is to transmit as little data as possible to minimize lag. I don't hit that and I watch a lot of streaming video each month!

Like others suggested, keeping images to a minimum will drastically lower the data transfer. Naturally, you should take advantage of any WiFi opportunities, too: I'm only ever using my phone's data en route between home, school, and work.

Yeah, gaming shouldn't be hitting that kind of numbers on its own, since the whole goal of online gaming is to transmit as little data as possible to minimize lag. I don't hit that and I watch a lot of streaming video each month!

Like others suggested, keeping images to a minimum will drastically lower the data transfer. Naturally, you should take advantage of any WiFi opportunities, too: I'm only ever using my phone's data en route between home, school, and work.
I do also watch a tonne of youtube... as in, allot. But, i do only watch in 240p, but still, that plus destiny is where its all going. :)

Dont forget ads, being premium you wont get ads unless your logged out.
Ads add the little extra to the download

So how 'big' is GTP?

I mean the whole site. How much storage does it use on the server?

Is 286GB a lot for a forum like GTP?
Yes, it's very high, mostly because of the volume of image attachments posted here, which increased exponentially after the forum software update in 2013. That takes up most of the space - the actual text of the forum and news page is only around 15GB.

How much did mirroring images on-site balloon that figure?

How much of it is @Solid Lifters casseroles?
The image proxy holds about 70GB or so at any given time; images are purged after seven days, so it doesn't get too large. I think the casseroles are around 10GB of that.

With or without @Omnis?
How much did mirroring images on-site balloon that figure?

How much of it is @Solid Lifters casseroles?
286GB, including @Omnis, @Solid Lifters, and @Pako. It's currently growing 250MB-500MB per day.

LOL What? ::lol: Why are they suddenly brought into question? :confused::D

And damn, that's quite a huge amount of data per day, but I'm surprised it hasn't reached 500GB even after hitting 10 years or so.

LOL What? ::lol: Why are they suddenly brought into question? :confused::D

And damn, that's quite a huge amount of data per day, but I'm surprised it hasn't reached 500GB even after hitting 10 years or so.

Well, the nurse yesterday said my BMI was 36. Maybe it was a fat joke. :lol:

Why can't GTP ever eclipse 1000TB? Because peta bytes.

How much space does the good jokes we've made over the years take up? I know there are at least a couple killer bits.

Don't even start with how much space useless puns have taken up. That's a gig unto itself.

I wana know how much the moderators lounge takes up... goodness knows what goes on in there!

Oh my... I just downloaded a data tracker from my pc, and decided to see what 5 mins of my regular GTP browsing habbits equated too... 12 megs... Oh my holy jesus...

Back