How Gran Turismo Sport's "Sport Mode" Actually Works

Sounds interesting. Not sure how I feel about different cars being altered by the game to drive the same. Why not just force the same car in those events?

Because some cars are simply faster than others in real life, even in GT3/GTE. BoP is something used in racing in the real world, not just GT. They're including it for the N classes as well so that everyone can use their favorite cars/brands competitively against other cars of relatively similar performance.

Sounds interesting. Not sure how I feel about different cars being altered by the game to drive the same. Why not just force the same car in those events?

Sounds very much like the Homologation aspect in FM7....Well, never mind. I'll be playing offline anyway so should be fine.

Because some cars are simply faster than others in real life, even in GT3/GTE. BoP is something used in racing in the real world, not just GT. They're including it for the N classes as well so that everyone can use their favorite cars/brands competitively against other cars of relatively similar performance.

See, I just don't agree with that. Take Forza. Let's say you have a low S class car (say a Nissan GT-R) and a high S class car (Saleen S7 or an Enzo) why should the game automatically decide the GTR is not competitive enough and just upgrade it automatically whether you want to or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty much homologation except PD is using what ACO uses to determine how to keep vehicle performance close in real life using BoP. Although PD's systems are less complex than what is done in real life the outcome is pretty much the same to a point. Although with the ACO their use of BoP tends to include things like aero limits and weight limits in conjunction with power, PD seems to only use weight and power and PD also doesn't take into account driver skill which is also factored in when ACO makes individual BoP adjustments(not sure about this one, I read it somewhere but can't be certain if this is 100% fact). I like that they are attempting something logic and trying to keep things balanced and let skill and ability triumph. Fun times ahead is all I can see if the online is solid and no lag spikes as well as the rating system doing it's job adequately.

Last edited:

But the point of using your favorite car is it's performance characteristics. If they are changing them, then what's the point of using your favorite car other than the way it looks?

I understand that some competitions you want equal cars which is why I suggested to just use the same car. If I like a GT3 Ferrari because it's mid engine and RWD, I don't want it to drive like a Front engine AWD just for the sake of making it equal. That just sounds pretty lame to me. Just force people to use the same car if you want performance to be equal.

If I like a GT3 Ferrari because it's mid engine and RWD, I don't want it to drive like a Front engine AWD just for the sake of making it equal.
Is that what you think BoP is?

Your GT3 Ferrari will still be mid engined and rear wheel drive. It'll just have a different amount of power and/or weight to equalize performance with the other GT3s, just as they do in the real world.

PS all Gr3 (GT3) cars in GTS will be rear wheel drive only.

Your GT3 Ferrari will still be mid engined and rear wheel drive. It'll just have a different amount of power and/or weight to equalize performance with the other GT3s, just as they do in the real world.

I didn't actually. First time I've seen that abbreviation. I was under the impression the Power/Weight was just an example. If that's all it is is strictly power/weight than I'm ok with that as long as each car still has it's natural weight distribution and power curve.

Exactly, it's not just weight and power of the cars that determines BoP. I'm pretty sure drivetrain is factored in as well. Meaning, MR cars have a handling advantage and will receive an appropriate BoP "handicap" when compared to cars with other drivetrains.

I noticed the GT3 being RWD only when looking through the Nissan showroom -- the Gr4 GT-R is 4wd and the Gr3 GT-R is FR. Pretty cool.

BOP should be a live algorithm that automatically adjusts itself after every race cycle.
Factor in average lap time by average wins and adjust after every race to make sure the MEDIAN ( not average) is near identical in all cars. This median can be selected by PD to ensure classes don't get crazy fast/ slow. That way People can't stick to abusing one competitive car until the next patch, the fastest car will get a quick nerf within 2-3 race cycles. This will encourage people to constantly switch up cars or to master one car.
In an ideal world, each track would have its own BOP. BOP is incredibly effective on Brands Hatch because PD had so much Data from the beta, every race I have there is super close.

BOP should be a live algorithm that automatically adjusts itself after every race cycle.
Factor in average lap time by average wins and adjust after every race to make sure the MEDIAN ( not average) is near identical in all cars. This median can be selected by PD to ensure classes don't get crazy fast/ slow. That way People can't stick to abusing one competitive car until the next patch, the fastest car will get a quick nerf within 2-3 race cycles. This will encourage people to constantly switch up cars or to master one car.
In an ideal world, each track would have its own BOP. BOP is incredibly effective on Brands Hatch because PD had so much Data from the beta, every race I have there is super close.

Problem with this is that in the end everyone uses the easiest car to drive.
Imagine a race between the Beetle and an Alfa 4C.
Average players are faster with the Beetle because it´s easier to handle and doesn't spin out as fast as the Alfa.
Good players use the sharp handling of the Alfa to be faster than with the Beetle.
With your system the Alfa will be detuned until it isn´t faster any more. But it´s still harder to drive and players will lose because of lack of consistency in their lap times. At some point everyone will use the Beetle.
A BOP were harder to drive cars are faster then easy cars (if the player can handle it) is better in my opinion.

Problem with this is that in the end everyone uses the easiest car to drive.
Imagine a race between the Beetle and an Alfa 4C.
Average players are faster with the Beetle because it´s easier to handle and doesn't spin out as fast as the Alfa.
Good players use the sharp handling of the Alfa to be faster than with the Beetle.
With your system the Alfa will be detuned until it isn´t faster any more. But it´s still harder to drive and players will lose because of lack of consistency in their lap times. At some point everyone will use the Beetle.
A BOP were harder to drive cars are faster then easy cars (if the player can handle it) is better in my opinion.

That's 100% false as the algorithm would take into account cars WINNING AND lap times. If the algorithm notices everyone is sticking to car X it will nerf it. The entire point of a dynamic algorithm is to mitigate abuse, as players won't know what car is on the upswing or downswing. Im actually considering talking to my Methodologies professor about this in order to make a formula. Maybe PD has one, but it would hurt making one to give to all the league's on here.

It would be a bit annoying to have constantly varying BoP though, because your car would never be the same. You could do your quali with one setup then maybe thegame might "balance" you with extra weight for the race and totally ruin your mojo.
I would prefer the cars to stay consistent, but of course with rebalancing done sometimes if particular cars are dominant or ... submissive?

It would be a bit annoying to have constantly varying BoP though, because your car would never be the same. You could do your quali with one setup then maybe thegame might "balance" you with extra weight for the race and totally ruin your mojo.
I would prefer the cars to stay consistent, but of course with rebalancing done sometimes if particular cars are dominant or ... submissive?
I think it's a great alternative. It requires a different skill set. They do it in several racing series to liven up the racing, and sure it undermines the advantage the robots / aliens have, but that's all the more challenge for them. It depends what you want out of it, i.e. where and how you derive fun from the game.

I loved Shuffle racing for this reason, the cars given to you obviously weren't consistently fast or capable, but the challenge itself was consistent if you were adaptable enough and didn't deliberately sand-bag.

Latest Posts

Back