How I USED to make 5,000,000 credits/hour through Custom Races... using a Fiat. But not anymore.

I'm giving this a shot with an engine swapped beetle. I figure this can run in the background while I play fetch with my dog. No way I can grind 26M credits in the next week with my shoulder feeling like it is. This may get me close if I can get it to run smoothly.

Edit: well, I ran this race a few times while I made dinner, played with the dog and got a couple other things done. 900k credits for doing pretty much nothing and a 4 star ticket which gave me, get this, a SF23 Super Formula Honda car. Awesome!

Edit 2: Looks like Herbie the Love Bug can't run faster than a 1 minute lap time time at Daytona, so I can only manage ~700k/hour. The problem is the need to have the car ever so slightly turn right to keep it against the wall on the straights. If I don't do that, it has a tendency to run in to the infield or smash in to one of the Tomahawks.

Last edited:
This race is kind of funny. I got the Beetle under way and went to let the dog out, get him food and have a little breakfast myself. I come back after way too much time has passed thinking I'll get it started on a new race. Well, the game is still running and I'm on the 22nd lap. WTF??? Turns out one of the Tomahawks took a rather wide line on the straight and the Beetle ran in to the back of him forcing the little Beetle to do a 28 minute burnout up against the wall. It somehow righted itself a couple minutes before I checked on the game. Still ended up winning the race but the CRB was lost.

Last edited:
Uh oh. Herbie's body rigidity and engine are starting to get worn down. They are currently "normal" instead of "excellent". I've only put about 2800 miles on him. So maybe 12 races?? Maybe 13? I wonder how any more Iles before I need to do an engine overhaul and fix the body on him.

Question: If you have done an engine swap on a car and need to overhaul the engine it overhauls the swapped engine, right? I'm not going to lose the engine swap if I overhaul the engine, right?

I know what you might be thinking as you read the title of this thread - there's no way this guy actually made decent money using the Custom Races, right? Throughout the GT community, their payouts have been mocked and derided ever since the game's launch, and even now they remain a laughing stock for all who have played GT7. But I'm here to tell you... there is a little-known way to cheat the system, and actually make some decent bank from Custom Races.

Disclaimer - this "exploit" is entirely reliant on a few select engine swaps, so if you're missing those, you're pretty much out of luck. Here are a few of the cars that are viable for this trick:

• Abarth 595 with K20 swap
  • Willys Jeep with Hellcat swap
  • Volkswagen 1200 or SambaBus with M64/03 swap

The reason these vehicles are suitable is because the game bases the payout of Custom Races on your vehicle's stock PP, which flies completely out of the window once engine swaps get involved. You may have noticed that when applying the Random grid option, the game fills the grid with cars of a similar level to a stock version of the car you're driving, even if you've upgraded it to its utmost limits - the same system applies to the payouts as well.

As for your car's tune, you'll need a setup that is both fast on straights, and stable in corners. This trick is mainly focused on oval tracks, such as Route X, Daytona and Northern Isle (Daytona provides the best results), so make sure your tune is capable of taking on banked turns. For reference, here is the tune I use for my Abarth:

View attachment 1247965
View attachment 1247966

Once you've got your car swapped and kitted out, you're gonna need to get out your Tomahawk X (if you've got one; if you don't, just grab one for a million - you'll be making it back soon enough anyway), which naturally provides the highest payout, being the highest-PP opponent possible. You'll need to apply the following tune to it:

View attachment 1247967
View attachment 1247968

This tune utterly destroys the Tomahawk's speed and handling potential, thus rendering it an ineffective opponent. Next, go to Daytona Tri-Oval, and begin creating a Custom Race.

In the settings screen, the only settings you'll need to adjust are those that affect your money-making potential. These are as follows:

Race Type - Lap
No. of Laps - Anything below 26 (as that is where diminishing returns start to kick in)
No. of Cars - 20
Starting Grid - 20
Start Type - Rolling Start (gets you up to speed quicker)
Boost - Off
Nitrous Usage Time Multiplier - 10.0x
Rival Difficulty - Professional Level

Next, go to your grid settings, and fill the grid with your newly neutered Tomahawks. Once all this is done, you're pretty much ready to race!
Simply make sure you avoid hitting any opponents (wallriding is fine) and you should be good to go. With each lap averaging around 44-45 seconds in the Abarth, and each lap awarding 7,936 credits (11,904 with the clean race bonus) I managed to make over 950,000 credits per hour.

Of course, this still pales in comparison to the payouts of the Big Four, but for a Custom Race? Utterly unprecedented. I look forward to seeing how some of you may optimise this grind even further, and perhaps even write a script for it!
I really like the custom races. Check out this link. The vid is about the Hellcat Jeep, and the AI driving it is having quite the time. I’m driving the black T/A, and the vid is not modded or edited in any way.

I thought I'd try this out of curiosity, it has been quite hilarious experimenting with it but I must admit, I don't understand how anyone can actually get it to work with a rubberband! I've been using the Sambabus setup from previous page, with the Tomahawk setup from the opening post and it's chaos :D

At Daytona oval, the Sambabus wall grinds before eventually drifting across the track onto the grass and having a simply enormous crash (I genuinely didn't realise you could roll a car in GT7 until conducting this experiment), at Space X it ends up in the pits every lap so requires constant babysitting, at Northern Isle it's just way too slow. And anyway, wouldn't the nitrous eventually run out? It's all very silly but not very effective hehe!

I thought I'd try this out of curiosity, it has been quite hilarious experimenting with it but I must admit, I don't understand how anyone can actually get it to work with a rubberband! I've been using the Sambabus setup from previous page, with the Tomahawk setup from the opening post and it's chaos :D

At Daytona oval, the Sambabus wall grinds before eventually drifting across the track onto the grass and having a simply enormous crash (I genuinely didn't realise you could roll a car in GT7 until conducting this experiment), at Space X it ends up in the pits every lap so requires constant babysitting, at Northern Isle it's just way too slow. And anyway, wouldn't the nitrous eventually run out? It's all very silly but not very effective hehe!
At Daytona, rubberband the steering slightly to the right to keep it against the wall. Works best with the Abarth 595 because the opponents don't leave much room when you lap them. Works without any kind of babysitting 90% of the time. Set a race, rubberband yourself to the right-hand wall and leave it for 25 minutes, come back and you've got about 300k for 26 laps.

It's given GT7 a bit of a breath of fresh air for me - the main grinding races are soul-destroying, but setting up a 200mph yoghurt pot to wall-grind for half an hour to earn 300k frees me up to do something more valuable than grinding.

Last edited:
Reminds me of beating Ruby Weapon in the original FF7: get the setup just right, make a couple moves to start the battle, then set something heavy on the X and walk away for two hours. Or if you could wait til later in the game, W summon Knights of the Round plus Hades and add HP Absorb to both. Ruby dies in about five minutes that way and will miss almost all of her turns. Only two Ribbons? No problem, pair Hades with Added Effect in the third character's armor.
Done deal.

My first thought was also to set up this game on something like Northern Isle Speedway and attach a rubber band to the controller. It may not be much, but coming home to 250,000 credits daily is more than I've gotten from the roulette. Not that I need it for cars, I have only four left to buy and three of them don't go on sale til Tuesday. The other is some old Porsche, not the 917k, that costs right at 20 million.
Pardon me while I take the W194 to Sonic for a burger.

Have they increased payouts? What does 26 laps of daytona net you?
Nearly a million in a little over 20 minutes. Not bad.

Attachments

• 18b8f8a062697-screenshotUrl (1).jpg
    18b8f8a062697-screenshotUrl (1).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 18b8f8a227e81-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b8f8a227e81-screenshotUrl.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 15
If the payouts in custom races are even close to 1 million / hr without having to exploit it then that'll be a huge improvement. There's a lot of fun to be had with custom races, and it would make the grind hugely more enjoyable if the 'fun' races you can setup also offered some worthwhile credits. It would almost be a step away from "the grind".

Does this also benefit from the clean race bonus? Because that would bolster the near 1m figure as well - but would obviously require no wall riding or collisions

EDIT - in theory this should also be possible to configure with an AFK script, presumably...?

Last edited:
Does this also benefit from the clean race bonus? Because that would bolster the near 1m figure as well - but would obviously require no wall riding or collisions

EDIT - in theory this should also be possible to configure with an AFK script, presumably...?
I have been using this exploit before the update with an Abarth 595. Wall-riding nets you CRB, opponent collisions lose it. I was getting 309k including CRB for 26 laps of daytona with rubber bands keeping the car on the right-hand side of the track full throttle. Roughly 55 seconds per lap to get 309k every 25 minutes (not including menu shuffling). That same race now gets you over 1 million credits without CRB, so that means 1.5 million with.

Basically, you can rubber-band your controller and earn 3 million credits per hour.

I'd love to do a youtube video (with all credit to hyperspeed of course) on this for that sweet sweet algorithm but drawing attention to it is probably not a great idea. Last thing we'd want is to see it patched :D

Last edited:
I can’t believe more people aren’t doing this.

It isn’t the fastest way to grind credits but the fact that you can just put on a rubber band and earn that “passive income” makes this the best effort to credits ratio.

Currently using the Willys Jeep on Daytona Tri-Oval. 619k normal with 900k+ for CRB.

Last edited:
If you're going to be properly away from your console then the 200 laps will net you ~3 million with CRB.

I’m using Sambabus, I don’t have the other cars. Upgraded to the max with engine swap.

26 laps Daytona shows 619k cr
Lap time 1.04, so I guess it’ll take 27 minutes.

Towards finish line my car turns towards infield and then bounces back :D been ok for 6 laps with just accelerator pressed in 3rd gear, already 46sec ahead.

I’ll share my tune, which I just made purely by luck, if it’s all good.

Took 28min and got 619k and didn’t get the CRB with Sambabus.
I didn’t seem to hit the AI, but I did hit the wall hard a few times.
I seem to hit the ai right at the start too, since I’m much faster than them after the game releases control from the rolling start.

Last edited:
Fun fact:

First try with the Abarth; one tomahawk went gone like a rabbit and WTH just happened? On fifth lap reached it and it was one Abarth I forgot to change! Oh well, screw it, I’m game. Tried rubberbanding R2 but my car was leaning into the infield so I had to race it, 30 laps for 800k something. Come lap 30, I was drowsy and lost control, the other Abarth got 1P and I finished second with only 500k rewards, no CRB 🤣

Second try I made sure all cpu cars were the tomahawk. I went at it again, babysitting the car on the straights; went drowsy again, and when I opened my eyes bam!!! Hit a tomahawk and lost the CRB 🤣

I’m actually excited as to what run #3 will surprise me with!!

An AFK script for this one is gonna be such a game changer, i just drove a few races and with 375% bonus (havent finished the last gold for this track so not fully 400%) i get around 942'000 credits without crb and 1'413'000 with the crb every 20 minutes so in an hour thats 4'239'000 credits 😍Btw this was done with the Abarth + Civic K20 Motor

Attachments

• 18b9151cb4e0-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b9151cb4e0-screenshotUrl.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 18b9151fb0810-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b9151fb0810-screenshotUrl.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 18b91520e8028-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b91520e8028-screenshotUrl.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 18b91523e647-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b91523e647-screenshotUrl.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 18b9152514f52-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b9152514f52-screenshotUrl.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 18b91526cf56-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b91526cf56-screenshotUrl.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 18b91527e2385-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18b91527e2385-screenshotUrl.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 19
For those wondering if this would work with SSRX, I've already looked. 20 laps of that would only give you just under 800k. 28 laps of Daytona though.

For those wondering if this would work with SSRX, I've already looked. 20 laps of that would only give you just under 800k. 28 laps of Daytona though.
The way the payouts work mean that any race over 100 miles will result in diminishing returns. Try 5 laps of Route X and 25 laps of Daytona for optimal measurements.

Using the posted Abarth build, and going for optimal lap time (turning with the corner instead of simply wallriding, using nitrous on the straights) with an 11 lap race (to ensure half of the race isn't run with an emptied nitrous bottle), I achieved an 8:13 finish to gain 654,900 including CRB. 4,782,000 per hour. Subtract a bit to account for time spent in menus.

This sure is the new meta grind, especially if you want to tend to your controller during the race for maximum efficiency.

Sambabus. With a bit of right turn on pad, I got CRB 619k->980k, and now I golded the circuit exp for 400%, which gives 1.06M to enter, CRB should be nice. My lap time is only 1.11 with steering pegged to the right slightly. AFK script needed :)

Back