How long can a ps3 be on?

• Thread starter Jorsne
  • 48 comments
Mine has been on for 18 days in a row so far and will be on for 4 more until I reach level 40 and do the Nurburgring 24 Hour.

No issues yet.

When I first started playing MLB 08 the show, I would play for sometimes 8 hours straight. Never had an issue with my 60GB PS3.

I suppose making sure the system gets properly cooled should be the only factor. Also, make sure nobody falls on the ps3, which will break it.

I don't really care about electric bills, we pay 690$ per month in this house for electricity. So the ps3 is absolutely not affecting bills anyway.

FYI, its a 120gb slim.

HOLY GOD MAN! 690$ electric! What do you guys burn for fuel in Norway??? Solid gold logs??? Thats like almost my mortgage payment.

make sure you clear the dust in the fan every now and then...

once i played God of War 3 for 12 hours straight and it overheated my console... had to replace the disc reader >.<

Thats completely false.

The only thing that is influenced by leaving the PS3 on constantly is the fan's lifespan. Fans lifespan should be around 63,000 hours at high temperature. Thats 2625 days, or 7.2 years.
Server fans that run full tilt 24/7 at high temperatures still last years.
Using a PS3 for a few hours here and there and then on a few days solid will not harm your system so long as its in a ventilated area and cleaned of dust.

Harddrives are good for 5-10 years.

This myth that leaving the PS3 on for more then a few hours is nothing more then fear mongering ignorance originally pushed on the scene by the Xbox fanboys.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Transistors have a lifespan which is mostly affected by temperature/energy consumption and time so yeah, leaving it on for days does reduce its lifespan as any other "delicate" electronic device, especially if it's one of the older 90nm models. And having the fans work normaly doesn't mean that the temperature is not a problem. Even at full speed, it's much higher than most PCs with everything crammed in such a small space with average airflow and crappy thermal paste.

Last edited:
I definately have an irrational fear of leaving my ps3 on that I'm trying to break, it's just yeah irrational and GAH!

I agree with all the other posts though, so long as it's cooled properly you don't have any problems. I have mine on the top of a cabinet by itself and I'm probably going to get a fan to put behind it to move the heat away.

Does anyone know if those laptop cooler mats would work well? I have one that I never really use but the heat from the PS3 seems to go out the back more than heating up the bottom.

Bought my 320Gb Slim PS3 with GT5 at the end of November last year.

It's been on pretty much permanently since then.

If it melts, Amazon or Sony will give me another one; and now I'm backing up my GT5 data to USB, that doesn't present any problems.

Bought my 320Gb Slim PS3 with GT5 at the end of November last year.

It's been on pretty much permanently since then.

If it melts, Amazon or Sony will give me another one; and now I'm backing up my GT5 data to USB, that doesn't present any problems.

Melting = Missuse = No Warranty

I think the worry for the game crashing or something is higher than the PS3 breaking down....Going to use the Tsukuba 9 hrs as a primer to see how many evenings I need to finish it, then onto the 24 hour races...

By the way, those stats (200w/hr) are for the fat PS3. The slims use 94w/hr.

I already did the math in many other threads. To run a slim PS3 for five hours a day, every single day for an entire year, it would cost a whopping $1.05cdn.

Yes. A dollar and five cents. That's 1800 hours of game time, by the way.

Can we stop brining up the miniscule cost of running a PS3 please?

^^This^^

My PS3 has been on all day for 3 weeks running now. I have an electricity meter in the house which you see how much money is left on it and since running the PS3 like this it hasn't been using a lot more than before I was doing this. I would say to keep it well ventilated and keep the vents free of dust as that's the biggest concern imo.

You happy guys. In Germany, energy-costs are quite high. Leaving a PS on for 5hrs an entire year would cost about €100. 1.05cdn would just be enough for 3hrs here

the only thing i worry about on my ps3 is the motor that spins the disc wearing out as i had 2 ps2's that the motor wore out after about 3 years of use

I've had no problem with my 120GB Slim, but I lost the 60GB Launch Fatty from YLOD a year ago. I think as long as you give PS3 some breathing space and clean the vent frequently to prevent dust from cluttering and blocking the vent, you should be fine. You can pretty much leave it on for a month.

Mine was running for nearly a week nonstop. Ensure to sometimes dust it off a bit. Dry spraycan or how they call it.
Got the 40GB fat lady of which a few say is a bit sensible. Never had any issues.

i've never had mine on for more than 3 hours. but i woud play a few times a day if i had nothing to do. i used to play a lot of nba2k11

I’m always a bit cautious about GT5 because I’ve heard a few people say it killed their PS3 - but I suppose that’s overheating in the longer races and I know the early PS3s were pretty unreliable anyway. Shame those were the best ones that were also PS2 compatible. I’ve left my Slim on all day and it’s still perfectly fine.

Back