How Many Cars Does GT5 Really Have? There Are So Many Copies!

• Thread starter Cassius101
  • 31 comments

Cassius101

(Banned)
Canada
Toronto
Legionaire88
So including DLC, GT5 has about 1080 cars. I consider a car to be different as long as it looks different then another car, it can be the same model but if it is a newer year and looks different then I consider it a different car. How many cars in GT5 look exactly the same as another one? Does anyone know an exact number?

I would estimate about 250-300 cars look exactly the same as another one bringing the true total to 780.

AFAIK there are 33 MX-5's, 19 Skylines, so you can have approx. 1038 cars... without counting the rest. (RX-7's etc)

IMO (oh, how I love these acronyms :lol: ) 250-300 is far too much, maybe 50-100 at most.

BTW, welcome to GTPlanet! :gtpflag:

The "duplicate" discussion is a bit tough.

Some people that argue in favour of duplicate cars insist that the cars are indeed different because they represent different trim levels or that they have significant mechanical differences.

An example of a trim level difference can be seen when we compare the '03 Lan Evo VIII GSR, the '03 Lan Evo VIII RS and the '04 Lan Evo VIII MR GSR. They have the exact same displacement, power output, height, width, and length. The only difference between them is torque (The MR GSR has 40.8 Kg/M while the other two have 40) and weight (1410Kg for the GSR, 1400 for the MR GSR, and 1320 for the RS). All of this data comes directly from the "Apex" Car Guide.

Honestly, are trim levels really needed? It gets even more pointless when you consider that most duplicate cars are standard so you don't actually get to even see the interior where the changes should be seen. Also, why would you care for having a car with better interior equipment if you're driving it in a videogame where you can only experience it's driving dynamics and exterior appereance? My solution to this would be to just include the highest-performing trim level among a car model and be done with it, no need for an ENTIRE PAGE of Mazda Miata NAs!

It could be argued that they're there because PD saw them as a time-efficient way of adding more cars to the game, given that this cars would take them almost no time at all to add. In the end it's a question of wether you like seeing walls and walls of different GT-Rs or just want to get to the point and drive the best from the R32 gen, or the best from the R34 gen, etc.

So including DLC, GT5 has about 1080 cars. I consider a car to be different as long as it looks different then another car, it can be the same model but if it is a newer year and looks different then I consider it a different car. How many cars in GT5 look exactly the same as another one? Does anyone know an exact number?

I would estimate about 250-300 cars look exactly the same as another one bringing the true total to 780.

Why do you waste your time with GT5 if you are big fan of Forza ?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=274447

Is there a secret love or maybe a secret jealus ?

That's why his name is familiar.
Anyways, I think the dupes were left due to time restraints. PD did sort of stretch the truth though.

We don't ban people simply for voicing their opinions (though there was an existing thread on the topic he wanted to discuss, as was pointed out to him already).

CarBastard sums up the entire discussion pretty nicely; in the days of GT4 (ie. Standard Models), this proliferation allowed PD to easily include the entire model line instead of just one car. An Evo GSR and an RS were only a few minute visual changes apart, the biggest and most obvious being the smaller steelies of the RS. Oh, and it's lighter. It gave us options; the RS exists as the cheapest entry point for the "real" Evo, and a lot of teams would use it as the basis for a rally car, so equipping it with cheap, crappy rims made sense, since they'd just be swapped out. Of course, since we can't change tire width or rim size in GT, the effect is somewhat lost...

Nowadays, with the interiors of Premiums, this sort of approach is still possible (and still quicker to produce two trim levels of Car A versus the time to make Car A and Car B), but the decision has to be balanced between providing a varied car line-up. It's a balancing act, essentially.

Of course, then there's the actual duplicates; the made-up Lexii, for example, or the myriad Miatas that are all identical to one another bar a colour option or which side the wheel is on. That is something I really hope we're rid of with the next game 👍

which side the wheel is on. That is something I really hope we're rid of with the next game 👍

I agree with you except for this - I think the same model with the wheel on different sides is perfectly fine.

If anything, I'd like it to be an option when purchasing a car 👍
(at the very least from the new car dealership, depending on how the Used Car Dealership is handled in future installments. You can't exactly go to a used dealer in real life and say "this car, I want the optional tyre pressure gauge")

And now for the obligatory "This is how I think it should be"

Continuing with the LanEvo example; when you select the car at the dealership you'd be met with an options screen that has the different trim levels etc. Then keep the used dealership as it is since of course you can come across different trim levels of the exact same car on the same floor in the real world, why shouldn't it happen in a video game attempting to simulate the real world?

But considering I can buy a "Brand new R32, straight out of the factory" how 'realistic' you can get is.. debatable.

Food for thought :)

The "duplicate" discussion is a bit tough.

Some people that argue in favour of duplicate cars insist that the cars are indeed different because they represent different trim levels or that they have significant mechanical differences.

That only counts for cars that:

1. Actually have said mechanical differences in real life.
  2. PD actually took the time to model those differences.

Most of the time when people throw around the word duplicates, it is for cars that look similar. That is an inaccurate usage of the term, because for some cars (most of the Acuras) PD did model the differences. A more accurate usage of the term is when PD took JDM cars and rebadged them with the EDM or USDM names (including when EDM and USDM equivalents didn't exist, like with the Miatas), which they did for a lot of cars; or cars where they did the same thing and were too lazy to model the performance differences that would be there in real life.

There are 134 of those (add a few dozen more, depending on your opinion of the various NASCAR models and the odd Premium duplicate like the Suzuki Swift and the BreezeFrees models). The waters also get muddy when you include the fictional PD race cars like the 3 Ford GT LM cars. If you want to include the Skylines and various other cars that appear to be copies of each other but have incredibly minute (and arguably unjustifiable) performance differences (of which the Lancer Evo models are very pronounced in their differences, so can't be compared to the Skylines), that would increase, but likely wouldn't be over 200. Still unacceptable, mind, but not 300 cars or anything like that.

Last edited:
Of course, then there's the actual duplicates; the made-up Lexii, for example, or the myriad Miatas that are all identical to one another bar a colour option or which side the wheel is on. That is something I really hope we're rid of with the next game 👍

But then PD pulls something like the last Roadster Seasonal; How many had to switch models to win all the races? [raises hand]

The reason my garage is bursting at the seams is the very second I remove a Yaris Vitz Turbohydramatic SoDramatic City Cruise Version (w/Stripe) (FD,J) '09 THAT car will be the "ringer" in the next Seasonal. PD's corporate partners want these models exposed to young players early and often, and to me, it's that simple. That they seem to not understand now in real life I want to CRUSH every econo-box that gets in the way of my '72 Monte Carlo on the freeway or hear my anguished cries of "OHMYGAWD NOT ANOTHER VITZ!" is just beyond me. Very contemptuous of them, in my book.

Last edited:
...there are 33 MX-5's...

That would explain it then! I keep buying them from the UCD when it cycles after I've been racing online, & it's like Déjà vu. I'm like; "I'm sure I bought this car already, Hmm?" :confused:

:lol:

The amount of duplicate cars is kinda ridiculous...I think it's like 40+ Skylines?

But I don't mind it sometimes. I kinda like all the Skylines and RX7s, etc.
What really gets at me is the cars with (EU) and (US) that have virtually no differences whatsoever and just take up space.

As for how many cars GT5 has...well I'm not sure. Some days I enjoy the duplicates with their miniscule differences....some days I wish they didn't exist.

Would you rather they not be there at all? What sensible person would prefer that...

"I wish there were less cars in this car game"

sounds like a first world problem to me, if a problem at all

What if all duplicates from JDM cars are in premium in the next GT installment ? and they are all unique in some way or another ( mechanical + visual ). Would that be okay ?

Would you rather they not be there at all?

Do you mean would I rather PD be honest about the amount of cars in the game than stretch the truth to the breaking point while doing a horrible job representing many of the cars in the game (twin-turbo Lexus GS300)?

Yes, I would.

Do you mean would I rather PD be honest about the amount of cars in the game than stretch the truth to the breaking point while doing a horrible job representing many of the cars in the game (twin-turbo Lexus GS300)?

Yes, I would.

And I want GT5 to pay me a thousand dollars for every hour that I play.

See, I can make up extravagant expectations myself. That has nothing to do with the question I asked, or anything for that matter

Also, I am unsure if you are claiming that many standard cars specifically are misrepresented, or premiums as well as standards. If its the latter,(which is the case, many premiums arent true-to-life) well that part of your post is quite redundant as well. This isnt a wishlist thread

I am asking what person would prefer 800 some odd cars to 1000+ ... sure, they are duplicates, but do you actually wish they were not in the game? and if so, why?

I am asking what person would prefer 800 some odd cars to 1000+ ... sure, they are duplicates, but do you actually wish they were not in the game? and if so, why?

The actual duplicates, as in same car different name, should go. They serve no purpose and simply act as clutter.

The often recited line of "XX Skylines?!?!?!?" isn't a duplicate issue so much as it's a bias in car selection issue. I don't want to see the Skylines removed (except for the few true duplicates) but I don't want more Skylines until there are more types of other cars.

If PD's idea was to make minute differences stand out, that's something I can agree with. However, you can't do that just by putting the same car in the car list three or more times. On top of that, which the physics modeling as it is now, I'm not sure that there will be much value gained from different trim levels.

^ The cars are already there, so postulating why PD did it is a bit Irrelevent, all there is to do is deal with the situation as it is. If you don't like that there's so many of a type of car, just don't buy them. Removing them from the game when they're already there is completely pointless and IMO a step backwards.

1 - PD removes the cars you don't want
2 - Don't buy the cars you don't want

Both options lead to you not having cars you don't want cluttering up your garage, but the first option screws over people that do want them where as the second one does not. The obvious choice is the second option as it satisfies everyone's needs and not just your own.

And I want GT5 to pay me a thousand dollars for every hour that I play.

See, I can make up extravagant expectations myself. That has nothing to do with the question I asked, or anything for that matter
It's an extravagant expectation to want PD to accurately express how many cars are in the game at least to an extent there aren't 130+ cars that are the exact same thing as another one? It's an extravagant expectation to want PD to refrain from outright making cars up to pad the car list? It's an extravagant expectation to assume that if they do want to pad the car list to the extent that 1/10th of the cars in the game are rebadges of another car in the game, that they would at least accurately depict those cars?

Because I was always under the assumption that those expectations were reasonable.

Yes. See this post:

Yes, I would.

^ The cars are already there, so postulating why PD did it is a bit Irrelevent, all there is to do is deal with the situation as it is.
Actually, it's quite obvious why they did it. It allowed them to get around compatibility issues with GTPSP, and they get 134 extra cars to boot.

If you don't like that there's so many of a type of car, just don't buy them.

You mean like how if I don't like how there are so many standard cars, I don't have to buy them either?

Removing them from the game when they're already there is completely pointless and IMO a step backwards.

1 - PD removes the cars you don't want
2 - Don't buy the cars you don't want

Both options lead to you not having cars you don't want cluttering up your garage, but the first option screws over people that do want them where as the second one does not. The obvious choice is the second option as it satisfies everyone's needs and not just your own.

Except there is no justification to want them because they are the same cars. Removing the incorrectly-modelled Renault Lutecia doesn't "screw over" the people who wanted to drive the car, because the car is still in the game as the Renault Clio; which is literally identical except the modelling is accurate. Removing the 22 duplicate Miatas doesn't "screw over" the people who want to drive Miatas, because the 11 that actually represent the real life versions are also still in the game. Removing the Lexus GS300 doesn't "screw over" the people who want to drive a GS300, because there isn't actually one in the game as far as performance goes. Removing the Standard BMW M5 doesn't "screw over" the people who wanted to drive a BMW M5, because there is still one of those too.

Last edited:
It's probably too much bother for PD to go back and remove the cars at this point, so I'm not actually advocating that happening. I focusing more on their place in GT in general as in this (duplicates) isn't something PD should be trying to do.

As for don't want, don't buy, removing the cars doesn't actually hurt anyone since they're duplicates. You would just distill them down to one model under one name. And even if you don't actively buy the cars, they still take up UCD slots are easy to accidentally buy since they are all so similar.

Though thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the collectors valued the alternative names.

Because if they're pure duplicates why do I need them? Why do I need 33 MX5s/Miatas/Eunos when in actuality there are only 11 different models? I'm not going to use the dupes so why have them there? Purely for numbers, because that's all PD put them in for.

It doesn't really make a difference, I'm not using the cars either way but if I'm not using them they might as well not be there, getting in the way of cars I might want to buy.

Duplicates as in 97 & 99 nsx type S or type S zero. 99, 00, 01 S2000 base, type V. Don't know which country Lexus is based but USA SC300 does not have same specs as the Soarer 2.5gt. And the GS300 to the Aristo. I'm sure we all already know these things but just enjoy what's available.

Forza 4 has less then 40 duplicates. I don't care if GT5 has more overall, 60% Japanese and more junk cars along with standard models. How many cars are actually Premium now?

I will toss out a possibility. It could be that they have several of the same type car, like Miatas for an example, so that there would be a variation of cars that you race against. Racing against 11 other identical cars would not be as much fun. As it is you can go to an online race and see 5 or 6 '67 Ford GT's with the #2 and the Gulf paint job.

Removing the duplicates would be a good way to compare the game with forza. Hopefully someone will do it at least for premium cars, using the same criteria as forza4 (very, very few. Only one premium gt-r counts, only one x2010 counts and x2011 doesn't and so on).

Those GT-R's aren't duplicates. And there are two X1's really (3 if you count the 2011) though the ability to change gear ratios is pretty minor.

We have plenty of existing FM vs GT threads. If you want to resort to that topic, take it to one of them. Comments deleted, let's stick to the topic folks :)

Those GT-R's aren't duplicates. And there are two X1's really (3 if you count the 2011) though the ability to change gear ratios is pretty minor.

Idea behind doing a "non-duplicates" list is to have a basis of comparison with other games of the genre, which simply do not do what PD does. Having 30 practically identical cars does not count as 30, but just 1.

Lets use a non controversial example: the x2011 is simply not a different car than the x2010. Also all the x2010/x2011 cannot be considered different cars by any single mean whatsoever. PD counts all that as 3 different cars.

Back