How many countries and continents have you visited? Which one is home?

• Thread starter shadow0460
  • 34 comments
United States
United States
For me, the USA is home. Oklahoma specifically.
I've been to 50 something states/Emirates/etc in several countries.
USA (home)
Japan
China
South Korea
Mexico
Singapore
Bahrain
UAE
Australia

I noticed many Japanese, Chinese, and Arabian folks were very friendly and welcoming. The Koreans were tolerant but helpful. Australians need no introduction, the people are very friendly and I enjoyed my time there.

How about ya'll?

US citizen and been to 4 other countries: Canada, Spain, Trinidad & Tobago, and Bermuda.

Been to 48 states and home is in AL. Eventually, I'll get to Alaska and Hawaii. I've been to three Canadian provinces: Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario.

They're all pretty good.

Bucket list has a number or countries on it, but I travel a lot for work so I'm somewhat reluctant to do much long-distance travelling on my time off. Daughter wants to go to Italy, son wants to go to Iceland, so they're on the horizon.

Last edited:
From the UK.

I have been to:
Ireland
France
Belgium
Italy
Spain
Germany
Austria
Hungary
Morocco
Kenya
Malaysia
Singapore
Australia
USA

I'd like to explore a bit more of Asia and the Americas. GeoGuessr has opened my eyes to some of these places very nicely.

Sweden (home)
Norway
Denmark
Germany
Spain
Italy
Macedonia
Hungary
Estonia
Georgia

In addition, I’ve spent quite a few summers volunteering at international youth camps, with delegations from:

Canada
Greenland
USA
Mexico
El Salvador
Costa Rica
Colombia
Ecuador
Brazil
Japan
South Korea
The Philippines
Thailand
Indonesia
India
Turkey
Lebanon
Israel
Jordan
Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Lithuania
Russia
Finland
UK
The Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Portugal

From the US and I've been to something like 40 states, maybe more. I currently live in Michigan and grew up here too, but took a 6-year detour to live in Utah.

Been to:
Canada
Mexico
Germany
Austria
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Netherlands
France
UK
Spain

My favorite place thus far has been either the UK or Germany and the worst has been, without a doubt, France. I don't care if I ever go back to France again, and I only spent a few days there. I've spent most of my time outside the US in Canada since it's right next door and we could drink at 19, so it was common for those of us growing up in the Detroit area to go there for the weekend. In terms of cities, I spent the most amount of time in Oxford and have a ton of really great memories from there, but I also really enjoyed Barcelona, Munich, and Amsterdam.

At some point, I would like to go to Iceland and the rest of Scandinavia, Poland, and Italy. I have zero interest in exploring Asia or the Middle East, but I wouldn't mind checking out some of the Oceania countries.

Calling on @W3H5 as he needs to weigh in on his country!

I've only been to the following states/provinces:
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Washington DC
Virginia
Florida
Tennessee (stop-over)
Wisconsin (stop-over)
Arizona
Ontario
Quebec.

I currently live in NJ.

I would love to visit Israel, the Netherlands, England, UAE, Australia and Singapore at one point.

I'm from Singapore but moved to the UK when I was six weeks old.

I've also visited the following:
Florida/SF/LA/Las Vegas in the USA
The Gambia in West Africa
Moscow, USSR (now RF)
Lisbon, Portugal
Brisbane, Australia
Rhodes and Corfu, Greece
Andorra
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Batam, Indonesia
Johore Bahru and Penang, Malaysia
Paris, France
Fethiye, Turkey
Dublin, Ireland
Edinburgh/Greenock, Scotland
Bridgetown, Barbados
Barangay Punta, Philippines

I think I like Amsterdam and Singapore the most; Dublin and Turkey the least.

Last edited:
Calling on @W3H5 as he needs to weigh in on his country!
My home is Thailand, which is in the disputed region of the world.
I’m originally from Airstrip One in East Oceana, it’s the only part of that state I’ve inhabited. I left there some 14 years ago when they began the purges.
I’ve spent time in Eastasia and Eurasia in various places over the years.

From the UK, been to:

Guernsey
France
Belgium
Luxembourg
The Netherlands
Germany
Italy
The Vatican

Been to Scotland once, used to live in Wales, never been to Northern Ireland.

I live in London.

Been Ireland, Scotland & Wales. For work purposes.

France, Belgium. For booze & cigarette runs back in the day.

Spain, Canary Islands, Tunisia, Cyprus, Greece, Egypt & the Maldives have all been holidays.

14 countries outside of the UK and the regions within those countries I've visited:

Spain - Alicante
France - Pas-de-Calais and Nord
Belgium - West Flanders, East Flanders, Flemish Brabant, Limburg, Antwerp and Liège
Ireland - Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow and Kildare
Germany - Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate and Baden-Württemberg
Austria - Lower Austria
Slovakia - Bratislava, Trnava and Nitra
Hungary - Pest and Budapest
Luxembourg - Grevenmacher, Luxembourg (Canton), Mersch, Diekirch, Vianden and Clervaux
Lithuania - Vilnius, Kaunas, Tauragė, Rietavas, Klaipėda and Alytus
United States - Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia
Canada - Ontario
Switzerland - Geneva
Poland - Podlaskie

I live in Manila, Philippines.

My family and I love to travel, and make it a habit to go out of the country at least once a year.

Though of course the pandemic broke the streak.

Anyhow, here's a list of the countries I've visited (in no particular order):

Europe:

Andorra (it's actually a relaxing and nice microstate)
France (Only Lourdes, yeah because my family is religious. I do love the old town aesthetic, though)
Spain (I loooooove Barcelona. I also enjoy the ocean view of San Sebastian)
Portugal (Porto and Lisbon are great. Fatima if you are a devout Catholic, not much to say about it.)
Italy (Rome is a giant history lesson, basically. Florence is lovely too. Vatican is just a stone's throw to our hotel we stayed at.)

Asia:

Japan (4 times; could have been there for the 5th one if it weren't for COVID-19. Though we will go there again next year - to Hokkaido this time)

Hong Kong (10 times...)
China (Only Shanghai)
Singapore (2 times)
Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh city only)
Thailand (2 times)
South Korea (Seoul)

Dubai, UAE (Do stopovers count? Just had a 2-hour layover there in the airport, waiting for the next flight heading to Italy. Same goes to going back home.)

USA:

New York
California (San Francisco, Napa Valley, and Cupertino. Oh, and a stop at the Jelly Belly factory too.)

Last edited:
From the UK, been to:

Guernsey
France
Belgium
Luxembourg
The Netherlands
Germany
Italy
The Vatican

Been to Scotland once, used to live in Wales, never been to Northern Ireland.

And countries/territories that I would like to visit in my lifetime include Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United States.

England - home.

Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Ireland
USA - Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Florida, California, Utah, Wyoming, Massachusetts, New York.
Canada
Brazil
Bolivia
Peru
France
Monaco
Spain
Italy
Germany
Belgium
Norway
Denmark
Netherlands
Sweden
Switzerland
Austria
Czech Republic
Turkey
Greece
Cyprus
Morocco
The Gambia
South Africa
Eswatini (Swaziland)
Lesotho
U.A.E.
Thailand

Last edited:
From USA, current home is Marin County, California, which I happen to like quite a bit.

Been to 33 US states or thereabouts and lived in 4 of them (Maine, Texas, Michigan, California) I still really want to visit Oregon (Can't believe I haven't been yet) Alaska, Montana, Wyoming and possibly the Dakotas. Maybe Miami Florida.
+
Canada (Just areas near Toronto & Montreal)
Mexico (~8 states of Mexico)
Italy (A significant portion of Italy excluding anything north of Bologna)
France (Just Paris)
Netherlands

On my list to visit:
Germany
Northern Italy
France outside of Paris
Western Canada
UK
Turkey
Thailand
Japan
Singapore
Various Oceana locations
Post-dictatorship Russia
Post-dictatorship Iran

Last edited:
From Denmark.

Norway
Sweden
Germany
England
Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Monaco
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Hungary
United States

I visted all those before I turned 20 (except UK). Now I’m 35 and I have little desire to travel these days. Every now and then I drive into Germany to buy tax free groceries, but then I feel homesick just a few minutes after crossing the border.

Home: United States (Alabama)

Countries visited: Germany, Canada, Mexico

States visited:

Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Mississippi
Arkansas
Texas
Louisiana
Nevada
New Jersey
Kentucky
Indiana
Ohio
Virginia
Washington DC (technically not a state)
Maryland

From the Netherlands

Been to:
Germany
Denmark
Belgium
Luxembourg
England
France
Andorra
Monaco
Spain
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Vatican city
Czechia

Want to visit:
Iceland
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
Greece
Sweden
Norway
Finland
New Zealand

Continents:
North America
Europe
Asia

Countries:
USA (home)
Canada
England
France
Switzerland
Turkey
Japan

Not enough :D
Always. I like the way of life here, but I think everyone needs to visit at least one or two other continents in their lives.

Some folks mentioned places they've lived. I'm not sure if I can say I lived there, but I spent a couple months off the coast of Japan. Three weeks were in Yokosuka with my ship only pulling out of port for required pilot quals.
US states I've lived in are:
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Florida
California
Washington State
Virginia
Kansas
and Colorado
Oklahoma is home to me.

Always. I like the way of life here, but I think everyone needs to visit at least one or two other continents in their lives.

I've been to America a couple of times, including a couple of days in OKC seeing friends after a business trip to NYC and Kansas. In Europe I've been around mainland Britain and the Channel Islands as I live in England, I've also been to France, Germany and Belgium at least three times each, and I've also been to Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands and Italy.

Being honest, I'm single, and I mostly travel alone... which I quite enjoy, however, I also suffer with fairly serious anxiety and depression. I would love to travel more, but it's exhausting maintaining a mindset that allows it to be an enjoyable experience, and not one filled with dread, and whilst financially I could travel more, work burden (if only mental) tends to mean that wherever I am in the world, I never stop sweating the next angry phone call from a customer at 7am... so when I say 'not enough', I also mean, not enough to truly to get away.

I've been to America a couple of times, including a couple of days in OKC seeing friends after a business trip to NYC and Kansas. In Europe I've been around mainland Britain and the Channel Islands as I live in England, I've also been to France, Germany and Belgium at least three times each, and I've also been to Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands and Italy.

Being honest, I'm single, and I mostly travel alone... which I quite enjoy, however, I also suffer with fairly serious anxiety and depression. I would love to travel more, but it's exhausting maintaining a mindset that allows it to be an enjoyable experience, and not one filled with dread, and whilst financially I could travel more, work burden (if only mental) tends to mean that wherever I am in the world, I never stop sweating the next angry phone call from a customer at 7am... so when I say 'not enough', I also mean, not enough to truly to get away.
I'm also single. I haven't flown anywhere since 2004. I tend to only travel to the places I can reasonably drive to. It's 13 hours from here where I live to Miami and about 10 to the Western Florida Gulf beaches. I've done that a few times.

But due to an employee in our department suddenly retiring at the end of this past August, I lost the remaining two weeks of vacation I had because that left us critically shorthanded. I don't know when or if I will get another vacation.

I'm also single. I haven't flown anywhere since 2004. I tend to only travel to the places I can reasonably drive to. It's 13 hours from here where I live to Miami and about 10 to the Western Florida Gulf beaches. I've done that a few times.

But due to an employee in our department suddenly retiring at the end of this past August, I lost the remaining two weeks of vacation I had because that left us critically shorthanded. I don't know when or if I will get another vacation.

The USA is an interesting one to me. If I lived there, I like to think I'd basically have been to every (joined up) state. The comfort of 'doing' everything, in a place that has the same language, currency and driving rules really does appeal. Like, I reckon for you to get to the Rockies, and me to get to the Alps is about the same time/distance, but for me to do it, I've got to cross borders, language barriers, customs and customs, currency...

Having said that, every year I plan to go to Daytona for the 24, and I want to do NASCAR at Bristol and/or Talladega, but it's not cheap, and I have an aversion to driving on the wrong side of the road, which the USA really penalises by having a **** public transport network.

As far as vacation time goes... boy do we have different laws here and there. I can take almost a month a half off, every year, fully paid. Most of that is statutory. Only two years, in the last twenty, have I taken all my statutory or company allowance (2006, 2015).. but simply, the longer I'm away, the worse it is when I get back... how the **** is that supposed to provide a 'break' when I'm away? I know the work pressures over there are the same, but I gather the statutory paid allowance is less.

I have an aversion to driving on the wrong side of the road, which the USA really penalises by having a **** public transport network.
It's true. Our public transportation system is one of the worst in the industrialized world. As for driving on the other side of the road, I lived in England for two years, from 1982 to '84. I had no issues adapting to driving on the left side of the road, or sitting in the right seat using my left hand to shift. Surprisingly, it was when I returned to the US that I found myself driving on the wrong side of the road a couple times out of habit. Fortunately it was only for a block or two before I realized what I was doing.

The USA is an interesting one to me. If I lived there, I like to think I'd basically have been to every (joined up) state. The comfort of 'doing' everything, in a place that has the same language, currency and driving rules really does appeal. Like, I reckon for you to get to the Rockies, and me to get to the Alps is about the same time/distance, but for me to do it, I've got to cross borders, language barriers, customs and customs, currency...

Having said that, every year I plan to go to Daytona for the 24, and I want to do NASCAR at Bristol and/or Talladega, but it's not cheap, and I have an aversion to driving on the wrong side of the road, which the USA really penalises by having a **** public transport network.

As far as vacation time goes... boy do we have different laws here and there. I can take almost a month a half off, every year, fully paid. Most of that is statutory. Only two years, in the last twenty, have I taken all my statutory or company allowance (2006, 2015).. but simply, the longer I'm away, the worse it is when I get back... how the **** is that supposed to provide a 'break' when I'm away? I know the work pressures over there are the same, but I gather the statutory paid allowance is less.
I've been to both Talladega and Bristol. I would probably recommend Talladega first if you had to make a choice.

Our vacation doesn't go by calendar year it goes from hire date. I've been here 15 years now so I've got 6 weeks per year for the last 10 years but we have to use it or lose it.

Our department is the thinnest staffed in the whole company but we turn the biggest profit of anybody. Probably 60-70% percent of our business is out of town and we have to ship all of that. We only had 4 main employees and they only allow us one delivery driver who also is responsible to get the out of town shipment ready each night. We're straining each day to get everything done and that's when we had 5 total. One retired leaving me and two others as the main guys and there's no way we could leave just two here for an entire week. It's just too much work.

My favorite place thus far has been either the UK or Germany and the worst has been, without a doubt, France. I don't care if I ever go back to France again, and I only spent a few days there
Was it the notoriously horrible food or the absence of things to visit that prevented you to enjoy dog's poo and parisians joy of life?

Latest Posts

Back