How Many Of You Have Played A Racing Game Online?????

Have you ever played a racing game online?

• Yes, and it's freakin awesome.

Votes: 53 68.8%
  • No, but i need to.

Votes: 24 31.2%

• Total voters
I'm read on these ppl who say that online game doesn't mean anything. How many of you have honestly played a racing game online? I mean how do you know that a game doesn't need it, if you have never tried it?

Online play is the STANDARD for racing games. LAN=Net play? Hardly. LAN is way to hard to get setup, though it can be quite enjoyable. Net play is the present and the future, you can not have a complete racing game WITHOUT net play. I'm sorry, a couple of years ago yes you didn't need net play, but in 2004, NO you need to have it.

My guess is that most of you(NOT ALL) who argue and say that net play is not need either have never tried online play or don't have your internet conenction up to par to play it online.

I'm posting this here to tie it in with the whole GT4 not going online post. I posted this serperately cause i couldn't get one person to answer me in the manin thread, so i decided to make a seperate post about it.

Hummmm, wrong forum for this topic I suppose, but your subject line is cleanly stated.

I've never played online, and YES I want to some day; at all honesty, I'm just assuming its a good experience, being that you play agains REAL people rather than AI - bots, then again there are some naggy, people out there.

I suppose it depends on who you play with.

I have, and it adds sooooo much more to a game. its like mariokart for snes. its like comparing single player, to multiplayer. its just that much better.

Yes and no. Yes i've played online on 56k, but the experiance varied depending on the deminer of the people who I played against and how they acted and my connection speed. I've raced to many sore losers who cry foul when they lose and drivers with no driving ediquett. Though every now and then the experiance was very good.
Lets not kid ourselvs, there WILL be quite a few players who dont know how to handle the new physics system or who just want to make the people they are playing against all mad by wrecking them. Either way its always going to be a catch 50 depending on the interface of the online version when ever PD gets it all sorted out. I hope they have some kind of friends list. That way people will know if a reptuable player or friend is online. Though I may not get to enjoy online if Alltel doesnt get BB out here.

I've played online with F1 2002/GTR and it's fantastic. We got a good group of racers together and the racing was superb. You needed a host with a great connection. Jake E was our host for most of the races and he could host 14 racers at a time. I hosted some too, but my connection could only host 8. We had a championship of 15 races and we had a race every Sunday.

The main thing is it to get together a group of people that you enjoy racing with and can trust not to crash into you.

To be honest, you don't get the full experience with 56k. I did it back in the Dreamcast days, at the time it was fine, but doesn't compare to anything now days.

There will always be bad apples in any game. But from my experience on PGR2(yeah i know xbox boo hiss hiss) I RARELY played against those players. A lot of times i played against higher Kudos ranked players, and that almost always eliminated the ama driver problems.

Also i agree, i hope PD does have a friends list. So that you can get a group of reputable online players all in one room for some racing. I also hope they can have a feedback section for each player so that you can leave comments, and you can determine what kind of player they are by the comments. But i think i'm asking TOO much now. :)

I play Race Driver 2 online every night and with the right people it can be a lot of fun.There are always people who like to drive the wrong way or ram others off the track but they are becoming very rare.I haven't encountered one in a while.
Anyway,Online racing is slowly becoming a standrd option in a racing game,i'm sure that the GT series will go online sooner or later.It's inevitable.I am not really dissapointed that they have decided not to include in in GT4 and even though i was looking forward to racing online against other people i am not really dissapointed.I'll be getting the game i wanted to play,online or not.

I played online quite a lot on PC (GTR2002, LFS, GPL, CoD, Q2A, RA2, ...). And I still do. But (sadly for some, maybe ...) don't have a wish to play online GT4. Sorry :)

I play V8 Supercars 2(Toca Race Driver 2/DTM race driver 2) online quite a bit.
As amatter of fact I did today, came second and third alot and won one race.

I use to own a clan for Midtown Madness 2.

We played heaps, cruised the streets, did drags, circuit racing, CNR, heaps of other fun games:)

Fantastic online experience

I prefered it to the likes of Counterstrike and GT3 :)

well i play dtm2 later then GTR from Simbim

i play in a clan GrF , and we play DTM2 (RaceDriver2). and in the league.

so we hope that GT4 will have a LAN Feature ...

cu

Yes, and it's only good if it's done well, ie smooth, no lag and good opponents who want to race fair. I play Live for speed mainly and it's great fun, I'm dissapointed the online for GT4 isn't ready yet, but I'm happier getting the offline modes now and the online later, than either the offline and a below par online now, or neither until later.

Your poll is not complete ;

Yes, I have played a racing games online. And no, I was not impressed by the game play. It had always looked laggy. The last PS2 game that I played online was WRC4.

I do really enjoy driving against another person more than competing against the AI. But it needs to be real time, like in a 2 player mode, LAN gaming, or-I link.

I played PC OLR a lot last year with F12k2/F1C and NR2k3. Yes, it adds a lot to a game, but even with online being cut out of GT4, I'll still be getting it. For whatever reason, they've taken out OLR because it wasn't ready for the loads they were expecting. If the rumours are true and a "true OLR" version is out in a year or so, and done right, to me, that's worth the wait.

We OLR'ers have survived years without proper OLR, I'm sure we can wait a bit longer ;).

I would rather wait for the complete game, I can wait another few months, I have a life outside my house so some more months wouldn't be a problem. Anyway that ain't gonna happen so I think if anything Sony and PD should have some scheme whereby you buy GT4 and either via the web or post you register your GT4 and you get the online add-on sent to you when it's ready.

I agree that the choices in the poll are somewhat limited. No, I've never played a racing game online, but I also don't think that I "need" to do so.

As for my own situation, there's two reasons why I don't play PS2 online. One, I don't have the network adapter. I simply don't do enough gaming to warrant it's purchase. And two, it would require either running a cable downstairs from my DSL modem, or rearranging my entire apartment to accomodate both my computer and my PS2. Either way, it's a bit too much trouble to play a few races with people I don't know.

As for online gaming in general, yes I have played several games online, via computer, but I fail to see the "greatest thing ever" aspect of it. If I play a game online, I want to play ONLY with people I know. Friends and family, that sort of thing. There's no satisfaction in whooping up on someone you don't even know. As far as I'm concerned, playing online with a stranger is no different than playing online with a very creative AI character/racer/whatever. For me, it makes no difference in how *I* play the game. Whether I'm racing against AI or against other people, it's not going to change how I drive the course.

So yes, I'm of the crowd that isn't really going to miss the online option in GT4. While it may be an interesting diversion at some point down the line, it is not, nor will it ever be, a selling point for me.

I need an option for "Yes, and it was fun but not the central driving force (no pun intended) behind my life".

And I raced with daan and his bunch - on a 56k but with virtually no lag on my end.

Jedi2016
If I play a game online, I want to play ONLY with people I know. Friends and family, that sort of thing. There's no satisfaction in whooping up on someone you don't even know. As far as I'm concerned, playing online with a stranger is no different than playing online with a very creative AI character/racer/whatever.

When you play with or against the same people every day for months you begin to feel like you know them. People are much more enjoyable to play against, since they are so unpredictable. You start to build a yourself a reputation by your actions, and start to get a flavour of the personality of the people you play.

It's not as good as playing in the same room as someone else, but it's a close second.

YES I HAVE PLAYED! But it is not that awesome because there is too much lag! for example I was playing Halo on PC yesterday and there was too many 56Kers so there was an AS$LOAD of LAG in the game. But it is pretty cool.

i play race driver 2 online quite alot and i gotta say, its very good :) , theres always a guy whos winning most of the races and theres always guys making mistakes so you dont usually get left too far behind if you are having a bad day 👍

I've played a few demo's online.

The games I owned and played were:
Auto Modellista(sp?) - it sucked, everybody rode the walls, drove Skylines. Was pretty fun on the Suzuka circuit in my ~500 hp Civic Type R EK, I tore it up.
NFSU - Laggy, didn't like it.
PGR2 - Pretty fun, but I lost interest

Online play isn't really that big of a deal.

Yes it is .. you have an opponent, that is not AI - sou in shooting games lik CoD you never can know what he/she will do. That's the great part of it!

Hello!

I played NFSU once online.

I don´t like it. Too much Cheaters.
Going througt Graphic Errors (through walls for example).

I don´t need an online playable GT4.

as much as I wanted GT to be online .. I don't even have a network adaptor for my PS2 and my cable modem is all the way upstairs... meaning I'd have to by a wireless game adaptor for the PS2 as well...
I've played Toca 2 online, it's fun.. but lag is still a problem for me
I don't like seeing my opponents teleporting and like have the car doing really odd movements ... so I guess that's also why KY took it off... because he wasn't perfectly smooth ...

^^^
I haven't played anything online racing game before in my life, and I was truly looking foreward to GT's online mode, but now that's its out its still going to be a great game, but not the great-est game. It will be the greatest offline racer ever, and will set the standard for any racing game online or offline for a while to come.

Back