How many of you play w/ track maps and driving lines?

  • Thread starter Thread starter autofusion
  • 30 comments
  • 2,145 views

How many of you play Gran Turismo 5 with track maps and driving lines?

  • Both

    Votes: 37 27.4%
  • Neither

    Votes: 21 15.6%
  • Driving line only

    Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Course map only

    Votes: 69 51.1%

  • Total voters
    135
Messages
183
Messages
autofusion / GTP_sonicfusion
Messages
XBOX SUCKS!
Let me start tallying things up to see who knows GT5. After I started learning about nearly every track in this game, while recalling most of the previous ones, I finally no longer felt the need to use a course map nor even a driving line.
 
Neither. Driving line doesn't look nice while driving, and as for the course maps I know the tracks by now so no need to have it on. :)
 
I don't use the driving line but the course map tells more than just the layout of the track, I like to know how far my opponents are behind :)
 
Don't use either of 'em. I memorized the tracks. I just wish there was a way to get rid of the damn list of racers names on the right the side of the screen...they get right in the way of the side view mirror on some of the premium cars.
 
I have the track map on only to see where the other players are on the track, but that's the only reason I use it. As for the driving line, never used it. I find it a distraction.
 
I use the track map as a spotter too, there is no race engineer to tell you that another competitor is closing on you fast, or that your gaining on someone. This is particularly useful when your racing different classes of cars.

I must admit to using the driving line when testing new cars, just as a rough guide when learning a car.
I dont use it when racing however as I tend to get 'tunnel vision' from it and not notice any of the track markers which makes it hard to race without or in traffic.
 
I use the map so I know where the competition is and I turned off the driving line once I got used to how the cars drive.
 
I only use the driving line on tracks I'm not very familiar with, I find the track maps handy to keep an eye on the competition.
 
I use both, map for opponents like others have said. Sometimes when i'm racing i kind get lost in my thoughts, not concentrating, a great streak of red in the road grabs my attention.
 
Don't use either of 'em. I memorized the tracks. I just wish there was a way to get rid of the damn list of racers names on the right the side of the screen

Same here. Lesser info display on the screen makes the gaming experience better.
 
I use the track map only, as many other people have stated, for gauging other cars on the track. Especially online since it only gives you the split times for the player in 1st place, or the player in 2nd if you are in 1st. If the names on the right hand side had split time differences then I would turn the map off.
 
Greatest update they did was the option to remove everything.
I use the Everything Off option.
It's like driving a real car! No digital HUD B.S. for me, and I love it.
 
I like the map on for the same reason as everybody else. I keep the driving line on, just because I am to lazy to turn it off. :banghead:
 
Neither for me, eyes on "the line."
I find that I get distracted by the course map or that driving line(which isn't the best line really..)
 
I like the map on for the same reason as everybody else. I keep the driving line on, just because I am to lazy to turn it off. :banghead:

You know you only have to turn it off once from the race menu right?
 
I use both, and rely on the driving line pretty heavily, though I have found a few places where it is better to ignore it. My hope is to eventually stop using it, but its been a great learning tool for me so far and I'm reluctant to give it up completely just yet. This is my first serious racing sim and I would have struggled a lot without a driving line in the beginning.
 
You know you only have to turn it off once from the race menu right?

I know. Honestly, I get into the settings to adjust the car, the TSM, ABS, and then always forget to turn off the darn racing line. As soon as I start the race, I yell at myself and tell myself "next time." Then repeat the process over and over. I know, I know, stupid. :crazy:
 
I never knew such thing as an Everything Off option. I'll have to check that out! 👍

I use the Everything Off option.
 
I have the track map on only to see where the other players are on the track, but that's the only reason I use it. As for the driving line, never used it. I find it a distraction.

Same for me. Map is just to see other drivers.
 
I'm like James May, I'm not smart enough to use it, but I'd get lost without the driving line.
 
I use the track map only. Like most other people said, I like gauging where I'm at, but also I like a little reminder of what's coming up, especially if it's a corkscrew or hairpin I forgot about. I really don't like the driving line in the game for a few reasons, but mostly because I feel there are times I can find better lines that what the driving line is giving me.
 
I use the course map only, ** pro tip ** zoom the map in as close as it will zoom to your vehicle and then you can use it like a spotter so you know where your opponents are in relation to your car.
 
I don't use the driving line because it looks unrealistic and I don't need it. It's still a great tool for learner drivers though, so PD should keep it in future GT's as an option. I don't really use the course map either, I only glance at it occasionaly to get a quick understanding of where the other cars are on the track. Most of the time I just concentrate on the road ahead and don't even pay attention to the HUD.
 
I have both on. I prefer the map on to see where I am in perspective to the lead cars. The track line doesn't bother me at all being on..so I just leave it on.
 
I leave the course map on out of habit, but I have the speedometer off.

The map is helpful for knowing how close opponents are, though.
 
Course map so I know where everyone else ... Don't use the driving line now but I did when learning the Nurburgring at first, was a big help!
 
I don't use the driving line and never have from the day the game came out. I never used it for FM3, either. The driving line is one of the most unrealistic aids available in either GT5 or FM3, and oddly it's a crutch that many allegedly hardcore racers are comfortable leaning on. It's funny how they'll brag about how hardcore they are with their manual transmissions, no TCS, ABS, et cetera, but then they use an aid that's far less realistic than any of these things (at least automatic trannies, ABS, TCS, and so forth do exist in the real world).

If people need the line to help them, that's fine. More power to them. That's what it's there for: to help players of a lower skill level. I just don't want to hear people talk about how awesome they are if they're still using the magic line. If you're using the line, you're not hardcore and you're not great. Actual top players can put in those great lap times without the magic line.

"Oh, but race lines exist in the real world!" Yeah, as something that drivers figure out for themselves, and not as something that magically appears glowing over the road surface and color-coded to indicate where to mash the throttle and where to brake. I've watched dozens of racing series (real life) and never once saw a magic blue/red line glowing across the track showing the drivers where to run and where to brake, or a red/orange/yellow/green one (FM3).

As for the map, it's still there on my screen but I don't actually use it for racing. I've got the tracks down and just don't need it. I just never turned it off (never checked to see if you can) and just don't care since it's not in my way.
 
There was a driving line interface in FM3 similar to that in NFS:Shift - I played both of those games as demos a while back. Still, I don't use driving lines either and I never will. 👍

I've watched dozens of racing series (real life) and never once saw a magic blue/red line glowing across the track showing the drivers where to run and where to brake, or a red/orange/yellow/green one (FM3).
 
Back