How much can you leg press

• Thread starter jagdrag77
  • 44 comments
jagdrag77
It was in a day, a arvo workout. I deadlift occasionally mate, but my back starts to ache after a short while.

I didn't know that rep definition, that's interesting. I'm looking for muscle growth mainly, so I guess I should aim for 10-15 then. I normally switch the number of reps once or twice a week, I've heard the body thrives on variety. I feel as I'm getting stronger, but I still have the same problem most of the time, a sore back. Maybe more deadlifts will change that.

I get what you mean about the same muscles being used over and over, I've actually tried to take that into account, but I think my brain is into a routine now. That image of the body as two rubber bands actually made perfect sense for me, I appreciate it mate 👍

I'll try your advice and see how it goes, I have to ask though. How do you know all of this information? Do you work in a gym or something?

Cheers :)

Lol no I don't work at a gym or am a trainer but everyone who goes to a gym and looks muscular knows this. If your not constantly reading and looking at videos about how muscles work, nutrition, exercises to target certain spots etc you will never get big. It's all trial and error and I have been doing it for a few years now.

What I do is bigger movements leg squats, bench, deadlift slightly lower rep ranges like 4-8 and other movements slightly higher. So let's say shoulder day like today I did standing military press in around 6-10 rep range than lateral raises at around 8-15 and some rear delt flys at 8-10 also. So the hardest most muscles used exercise is the serious power one that you do slightly lower than all the following a bit higher.

When do you get a sore back because that should never happen. Deadlifts when you do them properly you shouldn't even feel it in your lower back. It should be all upper back, legs, and abs.

545 lbs. Was my max for 1 set of 2. I am only 16, so Im pretty happy with that result. Biking for 6 years and then football really fostered the leg development.

Sadly, my Bench is pitiful in comparison.

Lol no I don't work at a gym or am a trainer but everyone who goes to a gym and looks muscular knows this. If your not constantly reading and looking at videos about how muscles work, nutrition, exercises to target certain spots etc you will never get big. It's all trial and error and I have been doing it for a few years now.

What I do is bigger movements leg squats, bench, deadlift slightly lower rep ranges like 4-8 and other movements slightly higher. So let's say shoulder day like today I did standing military press in around 6-10 rep range than lateral raises at around 8-15 and some rear delt flys at 8-10 also. So the hardest most muscles used exercise is the serious power one that you do slightly lower than all the following a bit higher.

When do you get a sore back because that should never happen. Deadlifts when you do them properly you shouldn't even feel it in your lower back. It should be all upper back, legs, and abs.

Ha, my bad. I just had an odd feeling that you were like a employee of a gym or something. I occasionally watch the odd video of how to bench more properly etc, but I guess I should do more.

My back gets a bit sore when I deadlift, but not in my lower back, kind of middle-ish? It's hard to explain, but the medication I am on can cause soreness in the back and joints too 👎 I try though.

I can do like 50+ crunch's and my back is fine, it's only when I add weight to it. Don't even get me started on the shoulder press.

545 lbs. Was my max for 1 set of 2. I am only 16, so Im pretty happy with that result. Biking for 6 years and then football really fostered the leg development.

Sadly, my Bench is pitiful in comparison.

For your age mate, that's a really good result. Biking certainly helps 👍

Last edited:
Gentlemen, this is why I don't go to the weightlifting club at school. The only things they lift are their egos.

Here's Dean Somerset doing a proper deadlift:

Now compare it to the spine-mangling mess that FSU kids call PR lifts:

:scared::scared::scared: :crazy: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

My back gets a bit sore when I deadlift, but not in my lower back, kind of middle-ish? It's hard to explain, but the medication I am on can cause soreness in the back and joints too 👎 I try though.

I can do like 50+ crunch's and my back is fine, it's only when I add weight to it. Don't even get me started on the shoulder press.
That is because you have a very weak ass

Gentlemen, this is why I don't go to the weightlifting club at school. The only things they lift are their egos.

Here's Dean Somerset doing a proper deadlift:

Now compare it to the spine-mangling mess that FSU kids call PR lifts:

:scared::scared::scared: :crazy: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

omg I totally know what you mean. I have seen so many retards load up the bar and just pick it up and think they actually did a deadlift. Worst is all the fools are always cheering them on too. I can't wait to see them in 2yrs when they are all rolling around in wheel chairs.

That first vid is mighty fine form I'm going to save that in case I need to refresh my memory on how to do it

jagdrag77
Ha, alright :dunce:

I've just never heard of that before, time to do some research 👍

Ya most of the info you will hear about that's mainstream is for perfect people. However most people aren't perfect and need to do special exercises to get them up to the norm before they can do harder exercises. I would list some ass isolation exercises you can do that work excellent but I'm currently also looking for them lol. Deadlifts are the only things I have found that work well but there so tricky to have your back perfect and the hip flexibility to do them effectively.

That first vid is mighty fine form I'm going to save that in case I need to refresh my memory on how to do it

That's because Dean Somerset is a beast. A true professional. If I lived in Canada, I'd train with him. Seriously.

www.deansomerset.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/somertyme23

1:40 in: "So if we see people deadlifting like this, it kind of makes me want to throw hot coffee in my face."

:lol:

Last edited:
jagdrag77
Ha, alright :dunce:

I've just never heard of that before, time to do some research 👍
Search lower crossed syndrome. Glutes are incredibly important its just hard convincing guys they need to work on it, women its no problem :lol:

Oh and skip crunches. They do more harm then good to your back. Plank/bridge or whatever you want to call it is infinitely better and will work them more in a shorter amount of time with much less damage to your back.

Ok so this post is really old but I just have to say I am 14 and I do about 1008 pounds on the leg press the machine weighs 118 I put 2 100 pound plates on each peg(there are four pegs) and then put two 45 pound on the back pegs 1 on each peg about 10 reps.

Back