How much do you tune/upgrade your car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tora.RS
  • 53 comments
  • 4,347 views
Messages
20
Hi guys! I'm new to the GTP forum... (but not entirely new to GT, been playing it since GT5P)

I can see lots of posts here talking about tuning a R35 to 800+HP or an MX5 to 200+HP. Since this is supposedly a simulator, and personally not a big fan of heavily tuned cars, I guess I'll tune my cars mildly... Maybe just some tyres, aerokits, new clutches, exhausts & suspension only. Won't do much engine enhancements...etc

Cuz I think a R35 going at 800+HP seems to have "lost" its original character...
 
I'm with you, I believe in keeping the cars original characteristics.

Minimum tuning, or tuning which can reflect a real life everyday driving ride.

But max tuning could be for dedicated track cars from tuner shops.
 
I mod my cars for better handling and response....I'm not big on the apply-all-upgrades kind of thing. Just like you say, I like to keep the original driving characteristic....

Also I find that winning races with an overpowered car is kinda boring.

For fast cars, I prefer the race cars which are pretuned and modded...just so it adds realism to my GT experience.
 
I've been doing a bit of each. For instance I have a 458 Italia that's fully modded and a stock one as well. I enjoy tuning up some but I also keep a stock version as well.
 
I like to upgrade my cars but not overdo it. I'm a big fan of online racing so I do whatever keeps me competitive and within restrictions. But when it comes to hotlapping and just driving around tracks for fun, I like to upgrade my cars to what I think could be done in real life.
 
If it is remotely realistic then a mega tuned Skyline or Golf should not be competitive with lmp race cars. Forza did this well, a C class stock impreza could be made competitive in C and B class, less so in A, and not at all in S or R classes. I'm hoping the same is true in GT5 although the lack of a Class system is a tad worrying and I wonder how that's all gonna work online. Is everyone just taking 840bhp GTRs online. B class racing in Forza was the most popular class.
 
I can't help but completely upgrading everything whenever I buy a car that I need for an event. I always go into the tuning shop planning on just upgrading a few things but I end up spending 200 000 grand on a car that I'll use for 3 races.
 
In A spec I upgrade/tune just slightly, enough to be competitive (have dfgt). B spec is another story lol I have poured big money into some crap cars I had left over from A spec for B spec man, he can't drive lol. For example daytona oval supercar race, B spec man driving my Bugatti Veyron fully tuned with everything hits 380km/h down the straights but gets to the corner and drops to 240km/h I was nearly pulling my hair out haha. he needed to advance 1 class to eventually win which enabled him to do 280km/h through the bends.

British lightweights races he needed a fully tuned caterham ( I had it 1/2 tuned already), he could not place in the top 10 the way i had it.
 
I've been doing a bit of each. For instance I have a 458 Italia that's fully modded and a stock one as well. I enjoy tuning up some but I also keep a stock version as well.

This 👍
 
If it is remotely realistic then a mega tuned Skyline or Golf should not be competitive with lmp race cars. Forza did this well, a C class stock impreza could be made competitive in C and B class, less so in A, and not at all in S or R classes. I'm hoping the same is true in GT5 although the lack of a Class system is a tad worrying and I wonder how that's all gonna work online. Is everyone just taking 840bhp GTRs online. B class racing in Forza was the most popular class.

Its actually 1250hp Veyrons for online now :p
 
Except for a few fully lightened and maximum horsepower monsters for my B-Spec driver to win races with, I try to stick to bolt-on parts on the cars I use for my own personal enjoyment and A-Spec races. That way, when the guilt of having too much power sets in, I can revert the car back to stock. Having multiple cars in a 160-car garage -- and counting -- makes it worlds easier, if a bit cluttered.

My comfort zone includes cars that occupy the 200 ~ 500hp gray area. Any less, and I'm bored out of my skull. Any more, and my eyes do a weird fluttery thing, with my arms feeling as if they want to fall off. The 6-race FGT series at 20-laps each race was murder. Getting bronze on the X1 events in... one more level... will kill me.

:nervous:
 
I follow MINE's way of tuning : good throttle response, engine response, minimal weight, almost stock engine.

I only change muffler, ecu, and i would get stage 1 or 2 weight reduction, plastic windows if i can, flywheel, double plate clutch, sports suspension and hard sports tyres. And I LOVE this light tune setup across all my cars :D:D
I turbo stage 1 if its lacking power :P

My ideal BHP range is from 200 - 500 bhp (max)
Preciesly 300bhp max for NA or FF cars, 500bhp for any turbo cars.
Last evening i tuned my maserati to 482bhp, i didnt even change the muffler because any muffler changes how the car sounds, and i beleive exotics should never have any muffler installed, it kills the spirt of the car :(

So my cars go really fast on corners and handles great. I love it. I really hate 700bhp+ JDMs its lame. If i want to do that i just buy a touring car and i get the same speed and usually my touring car will kill any tuned 700bhp cars in corners lol.
 
Except for a few fully lightened and maximum horsepower monsters for my B-Spec driver to win races with, I try to stick to bolt-on parts on the cars I use for my own personal enjoyment and A-Spec races. That way, when the guilt of having too much power sets in, I can revert the car back to stock. Having multiple cars in a 160-car garage -- and counting -- makes it worlds easier, if a bit cluttered.

My comfort zone includes cars that occupy the 200 ~ 500hp gray area. Any less, and I'm bored out of my skull. Any more, and my eyes do a weird fluttery thing, with my arms feeling as if they want to fall off. The 6-race FGT series at 20-laps each race was murder. Getting bronze on the X1 events in... one more level... will kill me.

:nervous:

That monaco F gt race was murder lol no rest at all
 
That monaco F gt race was murder lol no rest at all

To top my failure at Monaco off (8th place), the GT5 gods decided that I needed to run Monza and Suzuka. In the rain. Because apparently I wasn't suffering enough. That ended well.

:(
 
I max out every car that I get as I swear I must be power hungry! I just enjoy having a silly amount of horsepower there, more power with no driver aids makes it more of a challenge to a degree ... Plus I know Bob will need that extra power! :P
 
Cuz I think a R35 going at 800+HP seems to have "lost" its original character...

You could look at it that way or look at it like I do and making something thats already really good, even better. :)

It helps if you have some tuning knowledge as well otherwise it just turns into a giant unorganized mess... and you end up losing not only character but everything else that made it good too!
 
I like to keep the cars stock if I can, but sometimes it's impossible to win without tuning if you don't have the cash for a faster car. I attempted the cape town track in that german race in extreme tier, but my stock Audi r8 v10 just didn't have the handling finess. I got beaten by a Audi r8 V8. I like to think that the extra weight of the v10 put me at a disadvantage to the v8 in the corners (though I probably can't drive that track as well as I think I can). In the end I max tuned a standard M3 '04 I had in the garage. It had about the same power as the V10, but through the corners that thing was epic.
 
I like to heavily mod cars. This is how I do it IRL and its how I do it in GT/fm3.
 
You're right, the more tuned cars do lose character and tend towards uniformity. However, one of my favorite GT games is 'What's the worst car that you can win such-and-such a race with?' and this can involved quite a lot of tuning. Basically if I like a stock car, if it's characterful and handles nicely, then I buy aonther. Then I have one that's either lightly or not modded, and then the next that's modded as much as I need to win unlikely races with it.
 
I havent tuned any of my cars yet, i dident even by other tyres yet.

First i want to complete the entire A spec just with untuned cars that are eather on par with the AI cars, or worse.
 
I hate to mention the name (gets a bunch of GT fans mad!) but Shift has one great feature... as you mod your car up, the AI mod up too. Certain upgrades give you an edge (usually handling ones) but increase the horsepower, and you still can't blow them completely away.

Unfortunately, GT5 allows you to enter races with cars that are double the horsepower or more of the 'Typical Opponents' and you get ahead on the start straight and then it's 'Goodbye, Mr. Bond!'. Even things like the British Lightweights, typical opponent is top spec'd at 245hp, you can enter your Stealth McLaren F1 @ 642hp...:sick:

Where's the fun in THAT? AI should keep pace, at least within 40-50hp or so.

It's weird... the Licenses can be incredibly difficult (or at least some of them), very challenging. But the A-Spec series can be raced with things that make a mockery of the game. Too much attention to visual aspects, little to gameplay, IMO...
 
Aside from tires I don't mod anything. I haven't started on the expert or extreme events yet so that may change, but as is I prefer not to waste the money, I haven't had a single race yet give me a problem with my basically stock cars.
 
If I want a car to go fast I tune it to the max! :lol:

Seriously though, I have four tuning 'menus', split into two distinct categories.

The first general tuning spec I like to use is 'sports-spec', which I have tuned countless cars to since the very first Gran Turismo. This includes all sports modifications that are named (including some entry level parts like a 5-speed quick ratio gearbox), as well as stage 1 weight modifications, stage 1 engine tuning, and window replacement. Depending on overall HP I will use either sports medium or sports soft tires. Excluding tires, this spec comes to around 50K.

The second tuning spec I use is a variation on this theme, but includes non-destructible part upgrades, ie no weight-reduction or engine tuning. The purpose of the 'sports-spec' is not necessarily to make a car faster, though it does that, but rather to improve responsiveness. I find that stock cars are a little too sluggish, and can be improved considerably just by installing entry level parts.

The third tuning spec is race-prepared, which includes the purchase of everything! I will buy all turbos, air filters etc, and the like, because I gain the advantage of have the ability to tune the car to a certain HP limit. On top of that, all sports and racing tires are purchased (to fit possible regulations). This process is very expensive (over 300K per car), so I only do it for my most favoured vehicles. The fourth tuning spec, is a variation on the third which includes non-destructible part upgrades.

Lastly, I occasionally DON'T tune a car, and keep it stock. It's not quite a setup, but it is occasionally an option. 👍
 
I tune only as much as needed.
So far I did most races in a stock car.

I have upgraded engines a lot for B-spec though.
 
back when i was a kid i use to spend tons on every possible upgrade i could get.

now im a bit more mature, and i understand power isnt everything. so now i tend to focus more on handling and engine response more than outright power.
 
I normally just add soft racing tires and maybe the basic "sports" suspension. That's all that's needed for a fun time (and to be in first place by the exit of the first corner). I enjoy driving a more manageable car, rather than some 800 hp beast with supernatural handling.
 
I dont even tune my 826hp GTR V Spec. No reason to when I win by over 10sec only adjusting brake bias and torque split. I drive it the exact same way as i do when it was stock. Can do 3rd gear exit power slides.
 
I dont even tune my 826hp GTR V Spec. No reason to when I win by over 10sec only adjusting brake bias and torque split. I drive it the exact same way as i do when it was stock. Can do 3rd gear exit power slides.

I guess you did upgrade it though :)
 
I follow MINE's way of tuning : good throttle response, engine response, minimal weight, almost stock engine.
Um... stock engine? We are talking about the same company, right?
 
Sometimes I'm forced to upgrade. I still haven't found a single race yet where I can take a stock 2010 WRX STi. I had to upgrade it to actually use it in anything. Otherwise it would either by under/over powered.
 
Back