How much do you tune/upgrade your car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tora.RS
  • 53 comments
  • 4,347 views
Its actually 1250hp Veyrons for online now :p

See, I don't understand why people are taking the most ridiculous tuned car into online races where you're 150% faster then everyone! The online does not give you anything for wining so what are they getting out of beating everyone by a lengthy margin? When I go in, I look to see what everyone has and try to tune my car to the average. Ah well I guess kids will be kids. Thank god for your own lobby where your friends are the only ones involved.

As for tuning, I like to tune my cars for grip and not necessarily speed.

Cheers

(My rant for the day)
 
Um... stock engine? We are talking about the same company, right?

yes..well mostly stock, but Mines do offer their customers stage 1 and stage 2 engine tuning :D

I only did stage 1 because my engine does respond alot better, and has a better kick in power:drool:
 
I buy two of everything I want to tune. So I can have one max tuned, one stock with good tires (sport soft for road cars, race soft for race/super cars). All my stock Ferraris are red and my max tunes are matte black.
 
My general GT tuning rule-of-thumb is this, "If I actually bought this car for a track toy what would I really do to it". This generally means a stage I or II weight reduction, maybe a sports exhaust/air filter, sports suspension, anti-roll bar and sport/race tires. I rarely go beyond that.

So far in GT5 I've done all races in stock cars on sports tires. I have only modified one car, my beloved S2000 in the above manner as a car to fling around the Nordschleife.
 
I usually put an ECU upgrade on every car. It's cheap and sometimes gives quite a bit more power and raises redline.

I'm also in love with soft racing tires. :)
 
I hate to mention the name (gets a bunch of GT fans mad!) but Shift has one great feature... as you mod your car up, the AI mod up too. Certain upgrades give you an edge (usually handling ones) but increase the horsepower, and you still can't blow them completely away.

Unfortunately, GT5 allows you to enter races with cars that are double the horsepower or more of the 'Typical Opponents' and you get ahead on the start straight and then it's 'Goodbye, Mr. Bond!'. Even things like the British Lightweights, typical opponent is top spec'd at 245hp, you can enter your Stealth McLaren F1 @ 642hp...:sick:

Where's the fun in THAT? AI should keep pace, at least within 40-50hp or so.

It's weird... the Licenses can be incredibly difficult (or at least some of them), very challenging. But the A-Spec series can be raced with things that make a mockery of the game. Too much attention to visual aspects, little to gameplay, IMO...

I beg to differ, I have Shift and I mod my cars to match the event. But once I have to max my car, the AI doesn't stand a chance. I eat these guys for breakfast without breaking a sweat.

GT5 on the other hand, it's kind of annoying that you can't tell what tires these guys are running. This makes the biggest difference as hp without traction is pointless. PD needs should have put tire limitations on, because every event I've been to says the same thing unlimited tires limitation, seriously? Why even have that there at all?
HP wise I'm usually around the top few cars in power and I tune the car to my liking with handling. Haven't maxed out any car in terms of tune yet. But I have just opened up level 21 stuff and like the wind has LMP and I have not a single car that fast and I don't want to use my Stealth McLaren for this race so I'll probably grind some money in the NASCAR events and purchase something in the used lots, Sauber C9 went by a few days ago :indiff: I wanted that, but it was like 4 million, I'm only at 1.2 million. Hope the R92CP shows up when I have the cash, loved that car in GT4. I wonder if they have the black versions from GT4 in the lots too?
 
See, I don't understand why people are taking the most ridiculous tuned car into online races where you're 150% faster then everyone! The online does not give you anything for wining so what are they getting out of beating everyone by a lengthy margin? When I go in, I look to see what everyone has and try to tune my car to the average. Ah well I guess kids will be kids. Thank god for your own lobby where your friends are the only ones involved.

As for tuning, I like to tune my cars for grip and not necessarily speed.

Cheers

(My rant for the day)

That's why when I tend to host a room, I put in the weight/power regulations. :)
 
Little to none. Pretty much all of my cars are stock.
 
I only highly tune cars I play with buddies with and mess around online. for events I tune enough to make competitive.. don't believe in wasting money.
 
I upgrade based on need. Often you can save money upgrading a car you already have rather than buy a new more powerful car. My ZR-1 started with tires and race exhaust only, but eventually became a maxed out RM.
 
I often put stickier tyres on cars when I use them, and for some reason, more so with GT5 than before, often put a sports exhaust on too (as well as the obligatory oil change for standard cars)

If the car still isn't cutting it, but I feel it should or just like it, I might add a few other tweaks, generally the cheaper the better. The Veyron however I did a few more things to, bringing it up to 1100bhp Veyron Supersport territory, as well as a weight reduction which I try to avoid with more expensive cars as it is irreversible. Love the result though!

By the way, regarding where you would expect to beat another car, I think GT has always been a little off in this area. Sure you do see cars you would expect to be faster or slower than the rest of the field going to the front or staying at the back but often there seems to be a mean average performance across a race, which is why you often see the exact same car you are driving whoosh past you unrealistically.

Perhaps we are meant to believe they have been tuned slightly but then it's a little hard to know where to draw the line with your own tuning to make it a challenging race. And then you get cars that are far better or worse than they should be. Much as I like the Countach and Miura, they were never the best handling of cars and the Countach's performance was often overstated. The last Miura SVs from around 1970 were pretty quick but still had downforce issues at speed, and the one in GT5 is an early prototype.

Pit these cars against the Ferrari 512BB in a real life scenario and I think you would see them fall short, yet in GT5 they seem to be quicker and more nimble. But then, in the Ferrari event I had a 512BB catching up with me when I was in a 458 Italia. It's something they've never really fixed in the GT series.
 
i tune alsmost every car i drive... should not be spending so much :P
 
The 1st thing I change with any car would be the tires (usually go up 1 level comfort->sport) and start taking weight off.

I have some POS Daihatsu concept thing; I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing in real life but it's an absolute riot in the game. It's right around 100hp and is 10x more fun to drive than some of the Chrome Cars I have.
 
Stock and almost stock are 2 different things.
Doubling a car's functional horsepower (as seen in every Mine's vehicle ever in the series) generally requires enough changes to an engine that it ceases to be "almost stock."
 
I tune the s*** out of every one of my cars. That way I can win races easily. ;)
 
My whole driving style changed a buttload since GT4. I'm nearing the legal driving age, I have some driving experience, I got a wheel and dropped the control pad... Nowadays, I barely tune, and I leave most cars stock. There are some I won't even touch even if I need to, especially older cars.
 
Generally I lean towards only tuning my cars lightly, or keep them stock (in this case though, "stock" does include extremely powerful cars such as the Zonda R or stealth McLaren F1).

I do go further with some though - and last night was the first time I did a full upgrade, and I gotta say, as much as I loved my stock Maserati Gran Turismo S, turning it into an almost full blooded race car was certainly not a waste of money. That thing is a monster now and still a blast to drive.
I imagine I'll probably buy a second one at some point though, so I also have a stock version available.
 
I have many multiples of cars because some upgrades are permanent. I hope that eventually changes in a patch.
 
When I bought GT5 I did quite a bit of tuning, but after a while it got boring. Ended up deleting the account, I was at around level 18 or so, and started over. This time I have yet to mod anything although I am only a level 4 so far. Have yet to really have any time to play, but I'm finding that I'm having much more fun with the races being more evenly matched.

Tonights 'fun' is going to try and beat the Vitz challenge withe the Vitz I won from the Sunday Cup. I figure this should take me most of all night, but be far more rewarding if at all possible to even beat with the free car.
 
When I bought GT5 I did quite a bit of tuning, but after a while it got boring. Ended up deleting the account, I was at around level 18 or so, and started over. This time I have yet to mod anything although I am only a level 4 so far. Have yet to really have any time to play, but I'm finding that I'm having much more fun with the races being more evenly matched.

Tonights 'fun' is going to try and beat the Vitz challenge withe the Vitz I won from the Sunday Cup. I figure this should take me most of all night, but be far more rewarding if at all possible to even beat with the free car.

Good luck with that, I struggled, it's a good example where it feels all the other little Vitzs and Yarises(?) have things hiding under their bonnets, they are hella fast :) I think i did it in a Vitz Turbo with a good few little tweaks. The Euro Sport model or whatever it's called isn't too great.
 
Thing is, in real racing, if the rules allow it, the racers use it... If you can enter a 600hp car in a race populated by 250hp cars, you can bet your life that the NEXT race, someone else is running a 600hp car (in fact, they ALL will)! They are not going to LET you dominate the field. Either the rules change (can't see why there's no HP limit to cars you can enter for A-Spec) or the other racers ramp up.

Poor game design, IMO.

BTW, in Shift, yes, you Works up and max out your car, the AI have a problem. But you just start doing minor tweaks, the AI DO get faster. Ultimately, by careful setup, and skill, yes, you'll beat them. But add more horsepower, or lighten your car, at least the AI TRY to keep up. GT5, they just sit there like lumps!
 
I definitely prefer light tuning. I hate using more than a stage 1 turbo or n/a tune. Shame that Bob can't seem to win a race without 800 hp, otherwise all my cars would be that way.
 
I like fully tuning certain cars to the point they can hang with real race cars. I enjoyed doing this to my C4 Corvette and R390 road car. :D
 
Back