How much of an improvement would I see upgrading my graphics card?

• Thread starter Adam41
  • 68 comments
It crashed again today with the exact same file name listed on BlueScreenView causing the crash.

I did a 4 hour stress test on it shortly after the crash and it was fine. All the cores 'passed'.

I went on to AMD overdrive and saw that the processor was on some sort of turbo mode at 3500 MHz. I've brought this down to the standard 3200 MHz but this wouldn't be the issue would it?

Is there anything else I can try to pinpoint the problem? Thinking of posting the problem on AMD support/forum, would they help?
What happens if you stress test the GPU? Does it crash? Also could be a memory problem so running a quick memory test might help find out where the problem lies.

What happens if you stress test the GPU? Does it crash? Also could be a memory problem so running a quick memory test might help find out where the problem lies.

Not done the GPU yet.

Watched a video on YT and it said the ntoskrnl.exe file in the blue screen crash is caused by a hard drive or RAM issue. So I might look into that?

Not done the GPU yet.

Watched a video on YT and it said the ntoskrnl.exe file in the blue screen crash is caused by a hard drive or RAM issue. So I might look into that?
Worth running a few quick tests and see if it crashes. Think it is likely to be a CPU issue going by your blue screen info. If you still got old CPU, try that out for a while and if it runs stable with that one then you know issue is with CPU so then you can get it replaced knowing what the problem is.

Edit: Actually, searched a bit more and seems your motherboard has problems with higher end CPUs so that might be problem. Might be also worth checking Windows update if there are any AMD processor updates.

Last edited:
I'm up to date with regards to Windows updates.

I've had a look at the ocuk thread and it seems to just be that the motherboard can't handle the processor then?

I turned the CPU down from 3500 MHz to 3200 MHz yesterday using AMD Overdrive after it asked if I wanted to disable AMD Turbo Core. But when I booted up today it had set itself back to 3500 MHz. Is there any way that I can set it to a speed without it resetting when I restart my PC?

Edit: Do you think I would have the same issue with a different high end processor, e.g. the FX6300?

Last edited:
I'm up to date with regards to Windows updates.

I've had a look at the ocuk thread and it seems to just be that the motherboard can't handle the processor then?

I turned the CPU down from 3500 MHz to 3200 MHz yesterday using AMD Overdrive after it asked if I wanted to disable AMD Turbo Core. But when I booted up today it had set itself back to 3500 MHz. Is there any way that I can set it to a speed without it resetting when I restart my PC?

Edit: Do you think I would have the same issue with a different high end processor, e.g. the FX6300?

Underclocking would be done in the BIOS.

Difficult to say if the FX6300 would work. I searched for the combo on google.

One guy got the BSOD:
http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...er-new-cpu-install-error-stop-0x00000101.html

One guy had it work. It's also possible his motherboard is a different version.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...sus-M5A78L-M-LX-and-FX-6300-Overclocking-Help

Underclocking would be done in the BIOS.

Difficult to say if the FX6300 would work. I searched for the combo on google.

One guy got the BSOD:
http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...er-new-cpu-install-error-stop-0x00000101.html

One guy had it work. It's also possible his motherboard is a different version.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...sus-M5A78L-M-LX-and-FX-6300-Overclocking-Help

I'll try it at the stock clock speed today and see what happens.

Say I have to reduce the clock speed below 3.2GHz, would I need to reduce anything else e.g. the voltage?

Turbo Core basically manages the speed and usage of cores. The base clock non the fx8320e is 3200MHz, but if the situation allows it can shut down some cores and bring the other up to 4.0GHz.

I'll try it at the stock clock speed today and see what happens.

Say I have to reduce the clock speed below 3.2GHz, would I need to reduce anything else e.g. the voltage?

No, you don't have to touch the voltage. I think you just reduce the multiplier (ratio), as shown in the video below

Latest Posts

Back