How should PD handle Career Mode in GT7

• Thread starter Alterlight
  • 66 comments

Alterlight

(Banned)
Russian Federation
Russian Federation
So long story short I decided to create an account to share my personal thoughts on how maybe GT7's Career Mode should be.

To start off, Kazunori stated that the game will be combination of "past, present and future", of course you can say that it's sort of a slogan for GT7, bu i guess we gotta hope that PD will really succeed in creation of new main GT tittle. So based on previous GTs's career modes.

Career should be long, in a way of variety of course and with some help of the endurance events, which should have dynamic weather and time conditions, like in GT6. You should start off with a really slow car, i would assume something like old mazda miata or maybe even subaru 360. I think the main point of Career should be drive as much variety of the cars as possible, while having a good challenge against ai and some features to satisfy different kind of people,like adding a qualification, kinda make person feel like his car is dear to him or something like that, tuning-being very ambitious I would say they should make system simular to NFS: Shift 2, where even an old Volkswagen can become a race car, make an event based on tuned cars. Updated livery editor-GTS has it, but it could be better in some ways, like adding another layer to other side of the car (although, I might be mistaken, because maybe they fixed that in some patches in GTS), better painting for the car, like more color variety and etc. Some things are confirmed, like adaptive triggers to improve feel of braking, i think it'll help people feel how braking pedals feel, i would assume so.

I'm not really sure should licenses stay or not, but i think that one part makes a Gran turismo game is license tests. They could do something like GT6, where it's not so notorisly long like in GT4 and there is a fair difficultly and variety,but i think you should just get into licenses and complete it one go, unlike in GT6. About rewards, I think they should give you cars, but not pricy ones or fast, because they can break the flow of the career, so they could give you some kind of pace car, maybe exclusive paint option or something like that, to make a person feel that he did something tough and he can be proud of it, I guess let's imagine he comes to his friend and says, i beat "insert license test" and i got "insert a reward".

Mission races, should be like in GT4, but maybe more fair i assume, and also like special events like in GT5, where you could drive a Volkswagen from WW2 at Top Gear, 1v1 let's say against Lewis Hamilton on F1 Car. One make races.

Events should grow in terms of difficulty, and you would drive a faster car, of course. So you could start in some kind of "Sunday Cup" event, by that i think they should add a track variety, like a small form of circle track, kyoto driving park in GT4, suzuka shorter version, shorter grand valley and etc. So by progressing you can feel an increase in track difficulty.

I would say there could be named as seen in GT4, with additions like class car races in certain categories (Gr.4, Gr. 3, GT500 08', Gt500 16', Modern Lmp1, Vgt Hyper cars, Group C and etc) and as I said above add events based on tuned cars, I think just "turbo" and "na" won't be enough. Maybe something like "full tuned car event". And would be cool to have manufacter car races,like Toyota: ae86 vs supra and more or Lamborgini: Murcielago vs Gallardo and more. Events should be after some "begginer" races open up a paths to a player, by that i mean American, Japanese, European cars from maybe 90's, old muscle cars, everyday European hot hatches. And they would end on something, like "American Championship", that features C5.R, Dodge Oreca, C7.R, Chaparals and etc

So let's say an example for American events:
-Classic Muscle Cars
-Cars from a certain period of the year
-Old and New super cars, like C5, Dodge, Ford and etc.

And they also could be separated into a certain country category, for European events only, though. Like Great Britain, Italia, France, Germany, but there is still should be "Super cars from whole Europe" event for example.

Championship category would be based on International cars from all around the globe. Like "Super cars from 90's", races on certain category of the race cars and etc.

Events should be build on certain car categories, like country, year, manufacter and etc,and some of them could be based on certain "pp" rating, where you bring whatever you want.

Endurance events should last around atleast 45 mins (like maybe brand hatch on hot hatches) till 24 hours and there is should be an option to decrease/increase time. Like for example: Lemans 24 hours could be not literally 24 hours, instead 4 hours, if player desires so. I think you would get a same prize car no matter time, and by playing an event longer you would get more money or maybe some kind of extreme achievement i guess let's say a "Golden Ford GT 05'",again to make player feel like he made something tough.

Tracks: Let's hope we could get basically as much as possible, with variety of course.

Cars: Pretty much same as tracks.

Car Cr. Cost: should be not so grindy as seen in GT5-GTS with cars like Ferrari 330 P4 or Jaguar XJ13, make some cars exclusive to a certain event, like in GT4,by that i mean you could get Porsche 917K from an endurance event, although maybe it should say which car category you would get, so you wouldn't desperately try to complete an entire game, just to unlock, let's say an F1 Car, although I'm so not sure about it,maybe it should stay again as seen in GT4 or just make so you could buy any car at dealership and, if you get the same as you have from an event you could just sell it. I would stick with GT4 idea.

Misc things: Ability to sell your car, difficulty setting, POV adjustment.

Lastly, thank you for reading this.

I would like that the player starts with a used cars and little by little he is getting better cars. For example, first car a Miata, second car a Golf Mk7, third car a Integra Type R...
The race events should be varied, like you have said (Supercar Festival, Gr. 3 Cup, single brand races...)
The Special Events could be like GT5 (Rally Events, Lewis Hamilton Academy... )
Missions and Licenses could bring variety to the game. Mission could be a place where you show your skills and Licenses where you improve this skills.
Basically my thinking is similar to yours. And no problem for read your "little" text :D

Some of these points are brought up in the GT7 wishlist thread.

Thing with options for career, players should have the option to run a career with only one car. Not to say a player can take their stock AE86 and start grassroots racing, all the way to the 24Hours LeMans, in the same car(maybe the Nurburgring 24H ;) ). There should, however, be an option where a player doesn't have to make a Custom Championship, to race the only car in their garage.

If a player starts with a stock AE86,
upload_2021-5-30_11-59-39.jpeg

choices to continue to race this car, throughout a career, should be made available.

Same player may then want to customise their car and advance their skills in a faster series.
upload_2021-5-30_12-1-21.jpeg

GT4 had tuner challenge events. A career with tuned cars, fits this player's choice to race only that level.

Same player may want to jump up to amatuer or intermediate racing. Something like an N2 series, affords the player to continue at a grassroots level with a bit more competition.
upload_2021-5-30_12-3-51.jpeg

Should the same player wish to enter a professional championship series, GT level type racing should be made available.
latest

4927302588_5054370ded_o.jpg

I agree about variety in racing various cars in a career. I still believe the option as past GTs had, was being able to use one car and enter many events. However, there should be more structure to achieve this. Like the class below

Again, players should be able to use the one car for Beginner, Amatuer, Professional and Endurance Leagues. Similar to what Forza 4(?) did. The game generates the championship according to the car you are currently using.
May be a big ask for PD, but they had certain formulas in past games. Just needed polishing.

Last edited:
I want them to start with a blank piece of paper. Totally re-think what Gran Turismo single player should be, just as they (sort of) did with multiplayer for Sport. I don't want them to just copy-paste the old game, call it nostalgia, and that is that. I want them to actually look closely at what other games in the genre are doing, see what good ideas they have and identify the bad ideas to avoid. Not just sit in their own bubble and assume they know best.

Naturally some of the ideas they come up with will be similar to what they had before, I don't want or expect them to turn it into Need For Speed or some other totally different identity, but I want to see fresh ideas and concepts for a game releasing in 2022, not nearly exactly the same as they released in 1998.

More generally speaking they need to put serious effort into proper racing AI and they need to let us choose the difficulty for every race. No more pre-decided AI on each event. So many GTS events are worthless to enter because they're fixed beginner difficulty. Let me race any event at any difficulty if I want.

So long story short I decided to create an account to share my personal thoughts on how maybe GT7's Career Mode should be.

To start off, Kazunori stated that the game will be combination of "past, present and future", of course you can say that it's sort of a slogan for GT7, bu i guess we gotta hope that PD will really succeed in creation of new main GT tittle. So based on previous GTs's career modes.

Career should be long, in a way of variety of course and with some help of the endurance events, which should have dynamic weather and time conditions, like in GT6. You should start off with a really slow car, i would assume something like old mazda miata or maybe even subaru 360. I think the main point of Career should be drive as much variety of the cars as possible, while having a good challenge against ai and some features to satisfy different kind of people,like adding a qualification, kinda make person feel like his car is dear to him or something like that, tuning-being very ambitious I would say they should make system simular to NFS: Shift 2, where even an old Volkswagen can become a race car, make an event based on tuned cars. Updated livery editor-GTS has it, but it could be better in some ways, like adding another layer to other side of the car (although, I might be mistaken, because maybe they fixed that in some patches in GTS), better painting for the car, like more color variety and etc. Some things are confirmed, like adaptive triggers to improve feel of braking, i think it'll help people feel how braking pedals feel, i would assume so.

I would say there could be named as seen in GT4, with additions like class car races in certain categories (Gr.4, Gr. 3, GT500 08', Gt500 16', Modern Lmp1, Vgt Hyper cars, Group C and etc) and as I said above add events based on tuned cars, I think just "turbo" and "na" won't be enough. Maybe something like "full tuned car event".

Events should be build on certain car categories, like country, year, manufacter and etc,and some of them could be based on certain "pp" rating, where you bring whatever you want.

Yeah, it should make players drive as much variety of the cars, and thus, I want the format of performance tier division used in GT2 or GT3 (though I'd rather the events all in 1 menu like GT2), like you can race low tier FF cars, then mid and high ones (different license requirements for those games), but of course use PP limit for GT7 where GT2 use hp limit. I also want for the roster in the higher tier ones to be varied between fast stock cars (e.g. supercars), tuned up cars (like GT1's events), or even racing cars that fulfill the criteria. I gotta say though, GT1/GT3 already had qualification, for some reason they removed it later, and Racing Modification (for NFS: Shift 2 system) is a feature in GT1/GT2, and it's applicable to nearly every single car (the difference from Works system is that it doesn't require every car):

b2kdp69jxfmz.png

full

I'm not really sure should licenses stay or not, but i think that one part makes a Gran turismo game is license tests. They could do something like GT6, where it's not so notorisly long like in GT4 and there is a fair difficultly and variety,but i think you should just get into licenses and complete it one go, unlike in GT6. About rewards, I think they should give you cars, but not pricy ones or fast, because they can break the flow of the career, so they could give you some kind of pace car, maybe exclusive paint option or something like that, to make a person feel that he did something tough and he can be proud of it, I guess let's imagine he comes to his friend and says, i beat "insert license test" and i got "insert a reward".

It's already confirmed, License are back in GT7, the map menu has School part (with driving cone logo). While GT4 is too long, I think GT6 part is too dumbed down though, likely should do stuff like GT1-GT3, or at limit GT5 stuff. I'd also want for the Licenses to implement something other than fast driving, like car racecraft, setup, etc. GT5 was the closest to this to have the S License be about overtaking. The game should allow ways to skip Licenses though, for starter implement Data Transfer in GT2 and GT4 (transfer from GTS in case of GT7), where the GT4 one allows the player to skip B and A Licenses.

Mission races, should be like in GT4, but maybe more fair i assume, and also like special events like in GT5, where you could drive a Volkswagen from WW2 at Top Gear, 1v1 let's say against Lewis Hamilton on F1 Car. One make races.

Well mission is a must, to give players break from the routinity, But some mission races/special event races shouldn't be implemented as such, but rather integrated in the main career mode, like the GT Rally (giving actual sprint point-to-point rallies) as actual career mode rally event, or Jeff Gordon NASCAR Tutorial integrated as a part of main career NASCAR event.

And would be cool to have manufacter car races,like Toyota: ae86 vs supra and more or Lamborgini: Murcielago vs Gallardo and more. Events should be after some "begginer" races open up a paths to a player, by that i mean American, Japanese, European cars from maybe 90's, old muscle cars, everyday European hot hatches. And they would end on something, like "American Championship", that features C5.R, Dodge Oreca, C7.R, Chaparals and etc

So let's say an example for American events:
-Classic Muscle Cars
-Cars from a certain period of the year
-Old and New super cars, like C5, Dodge, Ford and etc.

And they also could be separated into a certain country category, for European events only, though. Like Great Britain, Italia, France, Germany, but there is still should be "Super cars from whole Europe" event for example.

Those events actually exist too in GT5, GT6, and GTS, they just place them in the main event section like the others. I do want for manufacturer events to be placed in the Brand Central too, gives more significance to the brands (and likely implement another thing too there like manufacturer affinity for the events), and likely implement the Museum as a part of the manufacturer events if able, turning single brand into a career mode on its own too. For country events, GT4 was the game that separates those events in their country section too yeah.

Championship category would be based on International cars from all around the globe. Like "Super cars from 90's", races on certain category of the race cars and etc.

Championship shouldn't be limited based on that; I'd like to see for example, Formula GT-like treatment for other motorsport like Super GT, championship with endurance laps (emulating the actual race laps in the event). I also think the Circuit Experience should be integrated in Practice modes here, and let Circuit Experience use any car you want, the time limit is determined by the car's stats.

Endurance events should last around atleast 45 mins (like maybe brand hatch on hot hatches) till 24 hours and there is should be an option to decrease/increase time. Like for example: Lemans 24 hours could be not literally 24 hours, instead 4 hours, if player desires so. I think you would get a same prize car no matter time, and by playing an event longer you would get more money or maybe some kind of extreme achievement i guess let's say a "Golden Ford GT 05'",again to make player feel like he made something tough.

Car Cr. Cost: should be not so grindy as seen in GT5-GTS with cars like Ferrari 330 P4 or Jaguar XJ13, make some cars exclusive to a certain event, like in GT4,by that i mean you could get Porsche 917K from an endurance event, although maybe it should say which car category you would get, so you wouldn't desperately try to complete an entire game, just to unlock, let's say an F1 Car, although I'm so not sure about it,maybe it should stay again as seen in GT4 or just make so you could buy any car at dealership and, if you get the same as you have from an event you could just sell it. I would stick with GT4 idea.

Misc things: Ability to sell your car, difficulty setting, POV adjustment.

The prize car should be appropriate to the how hard/long the events are, and likely prioritize the harder car to get after completing an event (exclusive car to certain event is impossible to get unlike 20 million Cr cars!!). Like for 24 hours races, as those 20 million cars are Le Mans cars, use that as the prize car, for both being hard car to obtain and a related car to the event. I feel like for "Golden Ford GT", now GT lets you change the car color, so it's not as special anymore IMO.

Last edited:
If we are to get some Group A cars in the GR 4 class, the R32 GT-R would have to be a shoe-in. That thing's got big power to match the class.
That GT-R having less downforce than modern GT4-based cars, would see it behave like the Gr.3 F1 & DBR9. Same for a Sierra.
Maybe an E30 would be closer in performance to the 4C. It's not overly fast, but a tossable car.
A Group A Audi V8 Quattro would be interesting.

The main things that are key are minimising the grind, so they need to structure the events, prize cars, prize credits well enough that you don't need to repeat events to be able to progress/afford the car you need to progress. There should be a possible path through the game where if you win every event you don't need torace it again to progress. It would require spending your Cr in the right way of course, but it should be possible to do.

The second is to have a large variety and number of events, every car should be useful somewhere in stock trim and due to the variety of races;/events, that would also cater for tuned trims. As @o000o mentioned, GT2 and GT3 had a structure where you could race lower powered FF cars, mid powered FF cars and higher powered FF cars. A combination of the structure from GT2 and GT3 but more fleshed out would be great.

The third thing is to add something original, unlike @Samus I'm looking for evolution rather than revolution, but we all will have our own preferences on that. But they can't just rehash what came before and that's that, they need to do something new as well. That could be introducing the idea that you are a racing team, maybe you can hire you crew, hire b-spec drivers, race with your b-spec drivers in the same events with them entering as a second car. You wouldn't want that to become the main focal point of the game, which is the cars, but you could introduce some team mechanics to the game. Maybe a race calendar instead of the traditional event selection where you have a different selection of events, challenges and spot races starting each in game week. It can still start with the Sunday Cup, but there are ways to evolve it without completely tearing it up and giving us something new that might not feel like Gran Turismo anymore.

And other important features are making the races engaing, ditching the single file mile long starting procession and going back to grid starts. I would make the AI harder and maybe encourage people to challenge themselves by offering championship rewards for the top 3 places rather than just 1st. You could do this with prize cars by having 3 prize cars per event. If you come first you get to pick which one you want. If you come second, a random car is taken from the selection and you get to pick from the remaining two, if you come third you get given a random car from the 3. I find battling for 3rd can be more enjoyable than screaming into 1st all the time, espeically in a chase the rabbit format. I'm sure there are many ways to make coming 3rd feel like an achievement and reward it.

Last edited:
The second is to have a large variety and number of events, every car should be useful somewhere in stock trim and due to the variety of races;/events, that would also cater for tuned trims. As @o000o mentioned, GT2 and GT3 had a structure where you could race lower powered FF cars, mid powered FF cars and higher powered FF cars. A combination of the structure from GT2 and GT3 but more fleshed out would be great.
Actually I also kinda want for the race to be able to mix up different type of cars, as long as it fulfills the event requirements :mischievous:, like there can be GT3 car and fully-upgraded road car racing together in high powered FR event. And for manufacturer event, yeah the car type would be the same in 1 event, but I still want power division where the lower level are stock manufacturer cars, then mid level are mildly upgraded cars, and the highest level are fully upgraded cars (also for example in Skyline event, allows both Super GT and upgraded road car to participate).
The third thing is to add something original, unlike @Samus I'm looking for evolution rather than revolution, but we all will have our own preferences on that. But they can't just rehash what came before and that's that, they need to do something new as well. That could be introducing the idea that you are a racing team, maybe you can hire you crew, hire b-spec drivers, race with your b-spec drivers in the same events with them entering as a second car. You wouldn't want that to become the main focal point of the game, which is the cars, but you could introduce some team mechanics to the game. Maybe a race calendar instead of the traditional event selection where you have a different selection of events, challenges and spot races starting each in game week. It can still start with the Sunday Cup, but there are ways to evolve it without completely tearing it up and giving us something new that might not feel like Gran Turismo anymore.
The whole racing team part should be inserted into B-Spec as a whole, as it already contained 2 of the racing management aspect so far, the race coaching (GT4-GT6) and the driver hire (GT5). I'd also like an aspect to help with the grinding if it's inevitable, send one of your driver into events and you can do other stuff you want (but you can go back into that race the driver entered to change setting too). I'd want for the racing team aspect to be fully utilized on motorsport events (a full-scale Endurance Championship for these as well) like Super GT500 Championship or Gran Turismo NASCAR Cup, but won't want for them to be fully necessary in every single events, like the road car contest type (FF race, Turbo race, etc.).

For calendar, the previous GT games already had it, but yeah, so far it's only used like, for example, Used Cars cycle (particularly day 694-700 in GT4), it's certainly something to evolve due to the feature already existing.
And other important features are making the races engaing, ditching the single file mile long starting procession and going back to grid starts. I would make the AI harder and maybe encourage people to challenge themselves by offering championship rewards for the top 3 places rather than just 1st. You could do this with prize cars by having 3 prize cars per event. If you come first you get to pick which one you want. If you come second, a random car is taken from the selection and you get to pick from the remaining two, if you come third you get given a random car from the 3. I find battling for 3rd can be more enjoyable than screaming into 1st all the time, espeically in a chase the rabbit format. I'm sure there are many ways to make coming 3rd feel like an achievement and reward it.
This is a trait that exist in many other racing games as well, to only progress stuff when you're winning. IIRC PC was the one that would allow progressing by not winning, due to the free sandbox career.

Last edited:
Seriously, with this week's Daily Race C, there are a mix of cars in my races. It feels more like Super Taikyu than GT4/GR.4. The mix of drivetrains, strategy and simply holding it together, racing side by side, is what Arcade Mode need.

PD should also give players the option to choose which class in the multi-class races. Mentioned above, being first overall, doesn't have to be paramount. Players can still have an exciting race at the bottom of the grid.
Achieving a good placing in a lower tier, racing amongst faster machines, should also be rewarded.

This is a trait that exist in many other racing games as well, to only progress stuff when you're winning.
Indeed it is a genre wide issue, and the main reasons are single race events combined with barriers to progression tied to winning. One or both needs to go.

If everything is a championship format, even if only 3/4 races, that allows you to not have to win each individual race. Plus as I've said before, ability to progress forward should be tied to general experience, not winning races.

Either that or my idea of the game following a linear time progression which doesn't allow you to revert back in time, if you want to win the championship you came 3rd in when you first started you have to wait for it to come around again. So long as there is no requirement of any sort to win it, of course.

This is why it's so frustrating to me that they've just copied and pasted the same format for so long, because there are so many other options to at least try. You don't know if something is going to be better or worse than what you already have without at least trying it.

Who knows where we would be now if they had tried some different things in earlier games, found what worked and what didn't, so now for GT7 we were expecting a great mixture of different ideas from across the series that had been tweaked to perfection over 25 years.

As it is, I'm sadly still expecting 90% the same experience as GT1-6. Because it's all they've ever done, single player wise.

If everything is a championship format, even if only 3/4 races, that allows you to not have to win each individual race. Plus as I've said before, ability to progress forward should be tied to general experience, not winning races.As it is,
I'm sadly still expecting 90% the same experience as GT1-6. Because it's all they've ever done, single player wise.
Gran Turismo 1 actually was the game where everything is in championship format. I guess at least Licenses was kinda something that you don't need to win (getting gold) in every one of them, though of course if you win you'd get better bonuses. I never golded all licenses in any GT I played.
Either that or my idea of the game following a linear time progression which doesn't allow you to revert back in time, if you want to win the championship you came 3rd in when you first started you have to wait for it to come around again. So long as there is no requirement of any sort to win it, of course.
I'd think this is a realistic addition in the game that can be welcomed, an evolution (not revolution) I'd say, to GT's calendar, to use it more than just used car cycles. Though this can cause division too that it'll take away some freedom from players.
This is why it's so frustrating to me that they've just copied and pasted the same format for so long, because there are so many other options to at least try. You don't know if something is going to be better or worse than what you already have without at least trying it.
Yes but I also would think it's the player's problem if they'd ignore changes or new stuff that is added into game just because the old stuff co-exist with it; e.g. "changes are only if there are no traces of old stuff left", like GT has added new stuffs like, well single races (coming from all-championship format GT1), mission races, special events, etc.

Last edited:
Yes there have been tweaks here and there to the format and some additions as you mentioned but the core of the single player experience has remained broadly the same for all six main games. GT1 was a revolutionary game at the time with many fresh ideas but it'd be crazy for anyone to think that they had hit upon perfection the first time of trying, and that's what PD have essentially done ever since. That's the format, and we're sticking to it. Do they think it's perfect? Are they scared to change it and alienate people? Who knows, but as we know they managed to change the entire focus for GTS so it seems they aren't totally scared to trying new things.

Not all changes to game franchises work, we all know that with many known disastrous changes that get walked back, but the fact is you don't know different things don't work unless you try them. Granted they have tried a few new things over the years, but they've always been very minor, like trying the three stars system for GT6, copied from mobile games. They haven't dared to make anything even close to a major change.

Try some new ideas, see if they work. They don't even have to make it to the public game, but it'd just be nice to see or hear evidence they've tried.

Well, as far as the Super GT redundant cars go, I'd like it if when pitting, the assigned in-car driver light, would change upon leaving the pit lane. Just helps a bit with the realism in Sport Mode and hopefully, Custom and GT League races.

like GT2, when you can only afford a used car at the start :) Then add more details like damaged this or that (which requires fixing), maybe also incorporate cosmetic damages (I'm dreaming now lol)....That would be awesome actually 🤔

Honestly, just make it 90s as hell. Basically remake GT2 but with more content (that's a crapload of content). And keep the music because it was all perfect. Racing modifications have already been mentioned and I absolutely agree with that!

But seriously, I want the game and its credit payouts and gift cars to sort of guide you through your career advancement. Games in the past have kind of done that but they always threw a wrench in it somewhere - giving you a GT500 car only a few hours into the game, for example. That's not realistic. I think they could pair more RPG elements to the game which would be awesome. I've always felt more RPG elements, particularly some sort of recurring competitors or narrative, would've added a ton of value to GT2 or GT4.

I also want to see things that make me feel like I exist in the game or am at home in the game. For example, the garage views in GT4 or GT6, and the race preview screen in GTS where you see the driver relaxing on the ground. I want to experience actually being in the garage, actually seeing my cars, actually seeing my driver(s).

I also want B-Spec management to return. I personally loved this in GT4. I like having both modes in the game because when you get bored with one you can do the other and it helps keep me engaged. I feel like B-Spec would be a good opportunity to implement a lot of RPG elements to give purpose to the mode and create a story.

Last edited:
Some type of Career progression like this:
E-MOypdVUAIpmHP.jpeg

Players can choose to remain at karts or continue to move to a higher discipline. Follow a strictly open wheel career, production car or closed cockpit.

I'm sure PD could even implant the exact plans from the GT Academy: GT4 cars to GT3 to GT500 to Super Formula.

Some type of Career progression like this:
View attachment 1077737

Players can choose to remain at karts or continue to move to a higher discipline. Follow a strictly open wheel career, production car or closed cockpit.

I'm sure PD could even implant the exact plans from the GT Academy: GT4 cars to GT3 to GT500 to Super Formula.
That'd seem take away some freedom of the game (to try out any kind of cars) to only remain or continue to the others (without looking back?). Probably just add more depth (the sandbox-type GT had isn't the problem there) into the motorsport races like karts, open wheel can be enough.

That'd seem take away some freedom of the game (to try out any kind of cars) to only remain or continue to the others (without looking back?). Probably just add more depth (the sandbox-type GT had isn't the problem there) into the motorsport races like karts, open wheel can be enough.
It’s not really a “career” if there’s no real structure to it. The past licence tests are fine. It was more about difficulty progression. Than learning a discipline. However, this is a way to have some kind of discipline to experience a career in racing. The normal Arcade Mode/Custom Race and Simulation Mode, allow players to do the sandbox thing. An actual structure for players to experience a more realistic racing approach.

If I wanted to just do rallying in GT, I just get in a rally car and race a few courses as we've done in the past. There's no path.
At least s an example below, I start with an entry level GT car(Ginette Challenge) or in Gran Turismo, the MX-5 TC. From there, I enter the Clio Cup. I can choose to then go the pathog Touring Cars by selecting Group A touring Cars or continue with an RallyX lites category that introduces me to a rallying. Next, is an RX international and after that the high horsepower Rally X cars.

E-OXfBcWYAEOcqD.jpeg

Again, Custom Race allow players to play the game how they want. A Career has more structure to it.

Oof. One I retesting word that Kaz mentioned was getting the cars players are "asked" to get. Looks like we won't be playing the game the way we want.

If we HAVE to achieve wins and get certain cars, we might not be able to progress further. Of course, I don't know and more will be revealed. Also, maybe something gets lost I. Translation, but it doesn't seem good to be forced to get cars.

Oof. One I retesting word that Kaz mentioned was getting the cars players are "asked" to get. Looks like we won't be playing the game the way we want.

If we HAVE to achieve wins and get certain cars, we might not be able to progress further. Of course, I don't know and more will be revealed. Also, maybe something gets lost I. Translation, but it doesn't seem good to be forced to get cars.
I think that was in relation to the GT Cafe which is structured around collecting cars with specific rewards for getting certain collections. It doesnt seem to me, at least not at this point in time, that this will be mandatory in any way for entering events and/or license tests.

I want them to start with a blank piece of paper. Totally re-think what Gran Turismo single player should be, just as they (sort of) did with multiplayer for Sport. I don't want them to just copy-paste the old game, call it nostalgia, and that is that. I want them to actually look closely at what other games in the genre are doing, see what good ideas they have and identify the bad ideas to avoid. Not just sit in their own bubble and assume they know best.

Naturally some of the ideas they come up with will be similar to what they had before, I don't want or expect them to turn it into Need For Speed or some other totally different identity, but I want to see fresh ideas and concepts for a game releasing in 2022, not nearly exactly the same as they released in 1998.

More generally speaking they need to put serious effort into proper racing AI and they need to let us choose the difficulty for every race. No more pre-decided AI on each event. So many GTS events are worthless to enter because they're fixed beginner difficulty. Let me race any event at any difficulty if I want.
So...seems they went with copy paste nostalgia route. Disappointing, but not at all surprising.

I think that was in relation to the GT Cafe which is structured around collecting cars with specific rewards for getting certain collections. It doesn't seem to me, at least not at this point in time, that this will be mandatory in any way for entering events and/or license tests.
I think if anything, it could somewhat be the inverse, where you can buy any car in the game if you have enough credits like in GT6 and GTS, but winning prize cars from the license tests and events could help extradite completing the Pokedex GT Cafe collections.

686811F5-62F6-4B4E-918C-D08B3784BB1B.jpeg

Even as a mock up for the trailer, interesting to note the eevents at the bottom. Euro Hatch Week. Wonder if PD will combine Daily and/or Seasonals(if returning), as quick click events, rather than jumping out of the World Map and going to Sport Mode to enter races.

If these events don’t include Sport Mode, maybe there are still race rotation. Would be nice to mix up events instead of the same event stuck there for eternity. Makes good use of being online to change events for Single Players.

That'd be kind of refreshing, similarly to how FH4 rotates out their seasons each week. I like this idea better however, but hopefully that doesn't mean some championships get shunted some weeks in favor of others in the Single Player. Just a mere shuffle would be enough to keep it fresh.

View attachment 1085987
Even as a mock up for the trailer, interesting to note the eevents at the bottom. Euro Hatch Week. Wonder if PD will combine Daily and/or Seasonals(if returning), as quick click events, rather than jumping out of the World Map and going to Sport Mode to enter races.

If these events don’t include Sport Mode, maybe there are still race rotation. Would be nice to mix up events instead of the same event stuck there for eternity. Makes good use of being online to change events for Single Players.
The menu will be seen later, but I think the GT World menu is something more akin to the Course Selection menu in GT4's GT Mode (wish the normal/reverse option is done like GT4 here..).
1634068668869.png

And GT7 menu also contains GT Sport (live) or Multiplayer option too... I guess the Daily/Seasonals and Sport Mode will be located there. Though that'd mean the Course Selection menu will contain events (offline/online) too as an extra menu to the existing Time Trial, Circuit Experience, etc.
1634068870087.png
1634068889539.png
1634068904938.png

I really liked that Forza where you complete a whole Championship, from beginner cars through the final race cars and it changes all the races when starting over.

I think GT Live is more about FIA Events. I deleted the the game again, can't check.

Last edited:
I really liked that Forza where you complete a whole Championship, from beginner cars through the final race cars and it changes all the races when starting over.

I think GT Live is more about FIA Events. I deleted the the game again, can't check.
Probably GT's calendar system should at least be used for more than just used car cycles, like season system such as probably changing the race's tracks after 1 year or such. So it'll be sort of like GT2's random course feature, but set at specific cycle/time instead of done at any time you enter that race.
1634206416410.png

Of course there should be several regulations of the random tracks on every events, like of course the random course feature in Sunday Cup can't feature Nordschleife, so the random course at events should be like, for example set the course lengths at specific length range.

Though I'd want for more to be added to calendars like more detailed day progression compared to GT4 (where each activities use up 1 day), do activities in-between races such as when you suspend Championship until you reach the next race's date, instantly advance to the day to complete activities like previous games or schedule activities, open the calendar in the date on Status Window and click on any date to advance the time into that day, etc.

For me, I want it to expand on GT4 career but make it less grindy (the prize money for GT4 wins is stupidly low)

One thing I loved about GT4 is how the events all had a certain character to it with cars based on. It helps make the Career races feel less like a check-list and more like an experience each time. It's why I don't agree with the idea of being able to progress through the entire game with just a single car. I remember doing that in GT6 up until the IA events with the BMW M4 I won from a seasonal event and its what lead to all the events from B to IB feeling really repetitive and like a check-list. With only the IA events sticking out because it required me to pick up Race Cars and most event had a different variety of Race Cars. I like the idea of evolving my garage with more faster and powerful cars to take on higher tier races while also buying unique cars for events exclusive to those cars like GT4s dealership events. Which I'd love to see more specific events too, we can have a Gr. 3 Cup for all the Gr. 3 cars but then we could have one reserved for only American Gr. 3 Cars on American Tracks, or have one exclusive to Porsche 911 to replicate the Carerra Cup. Then one only for the Beetle Gr. 3 for the next Bettle Cup.

I like the idea of getting GT3s events of varying difficulty like how there are 3 FF Challenges because it gives you a nice challenge and invitation to go passed stock but I'd rename the harder variants just so they can stand out. Like FF Tour for the Mid-tier FF cars and FF Championship for the High-Tier FF cars and make it a Championship too.

For me, I want it to expand on GT4 career but make it less grindy (the prize money for GT4 wins is stupidly low)

One thing I loved about GT4 is how the events all had a certain character to it with cars based on. It helps make the Career races feel less like a check-list and more like an experience each time. It's why I don't agree with the idea of being able to progress through the entire game with just a single car. I remember doing that in GT6 up until the IA events with the BMW M4 I won from a seasonal event and its what lead to all the events from B to IB feeling really repetitive and like a check-list. With only the IA events sticking out because it required me to pick up Race Cars and most event had a different variety of Race Cars. I like the idea of evolving my garage with more faster and powerful cars to take on higher tier races while also buying unique cars for events exclusive to those cars like GT4s dealership events. Which I'd love to see more specific events too, we can have a Gr. 3 Cup for all the Gr. 3 cars but then we could have one reserved for only American Gr. 3 Cars on American Tracks, or have one exclusive to Porsche 911 to replicate the Carerra Cup. Then one only for the Beetle Gr. 3 for the next Bettle Cup.

I like the idea of getting GT3s events of varying difficulty like how there are 3 FF Challenges because it gives you a nice challenge and invitation to go passed stock but I'd rename the harder variants just so they can stand out. Like FF Tour for the Mid-tier FF cars and FF Championship for the High-Tier FF cars and make it a Championship too.
"FF Extreme Series. Take on the world's best front-wheel drive race cars in a close-quarters arm wrestle. Prepare for some intense action!"

"FR Extreme Series. Front-engined, rear-drive cars of the highest caliber come together for the ultimate test. This championship is not for the faint-hearted!"

"MR Extreme Series. Get ready to put your best foot forward in this exotic clash of the titans. Use the superb natural balance to your advantage!"

"4WD Extreme Series. Where the best 4WD cars come to play. Take your vehicle to the limit and fight for supremacy!"

Last edited:
It needs to be the star of the game.

The online (Sport) play can be evolved from GTS. Hopefully without the recent mess of eliminating contact penalties entirely.

Career mode on the other hand needs to be extensive and diverse. AI from GT League needs to be abandoned in favor of Custom Race AI. I'm not sure how younger players would receive car management (wear and tear basically), but I think the best way to reward skill is actually to increase the impact of mechanical damage. Today the career mode in most games is ridiculously easy, F1 series is the only game with an interesting one, and it has forced damage which impacts your results and performance as a driver (not just in the standings!).

If career is just a list of events like in GTS and last 3 FMs it'll get boring quickly.

Back