How the Creator of Gran Turismo Wants Motorsport to Change

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 39 comments
I not be using your same perspective, @Jordan but I think your caption under the first picture is incorrect. Believe Ordonez is on the other side of the picture! As @Theufcveteran said, thanks for the write-up and sharing this interview!

So what he’s really saying is he wants to see a 100 more Nissan’s in motorsports. 😁 just kidding.

As for Max raging I don’t blame him to be honest. He takes his sim racing as seriously as the real world stuff and he was very competitive and got affected by those DDOS disconnects over and over. It was a frustrating experience for all those involved. I hate DDOS attacker’s man. Why they gotta be so annoying and ruin peoples fun. Dang punks.

Oh and I wish GT would be able to host more real world drivers ex and current to race and team up with the GT championship drivers those are so much fun watching F1 drivers racing in GT against the esports drivers I enjoy that.

For a dude with tons of money to spend on cars,Kaz takes on the cost of the motorsport industry and even just racing games is usually on point.
I don't think GT will be at the forefront of that motorsport revolution but i agree that sim racing should be used way more as a step to real racing and back and forth with real drivers going to sims.

You can learn almost everything about race etiquette and car dynamics from serious sim racing so it makes sense to officially be made a stepping stone to real racing.
Emphasize "almost" some more.
The main source for vehicle dynamics infomation literally comes from your bottom into the seat, second to that being steering, and sound, the last sorce of info is honestly visual. Racing is by far about embracing feelings/sensations way more than what is visually. Its the same reason why skilled racing drivers have no problem racing in the middle of the pack in a blind wet race with rooster tails blinding their view, because we rely on our eyes the least, and the sensations from our buttocks the most.
We literally drive by the seat of our pants.
I'd say it's 90% feeling & 10% visual.

And in that sense, the sensation/visual infomation ratio is the other way round in sim racing, as you rely on your eyes first and foremost for infomation, as you literally cannot feel anything underneath you.
Making it 10% feeling & 90% visual.

Just as a loose example.

There are overlaps from sim to reality for sure, but it does require a totally new way of thinking and processing once you actually do it for real. The foundations are there, but the rest is wildy different IRL, no matter if a sim even handles the same as IRL, nothing will teach you about how to intake such raw infomation and processing it more than doing real life racing can.

Last edited:
The main source for vehicle dynamics infomation literally comes from your bottom into the seat, second to that being steering, and sound, the last sorce of info is honestly visual. Racing is by far about embracing feelings/sensations way more than what is visually. Its the same reason why skilled racing drivers have no problem racing in the middle of the pack in a blind wet race with rooster tails blinding their view, because we rely on our eyes the least, and the sensations from our buttocks the most.

And in that sense, the sensation/visual infomation ratio is the other way round in sim racing, as you rely on your eyes first and foremost for infomation, as you literally cannot feel anything underneath you.

Just as a loose example.

There are overlaps from sim to reality for sure, but it does require a totally new way of thinking and processing once you actually do it for real. The foundations are there, but the rest is wildy different IRL, no matter if a sim even handles the same as IRL, nothing will teach you about how to intake such raw infomation and processing it more than doing real life racing can.
PSVR2 bridges that gap. Now, no doubt it's still about the visuals, but players using PSVR2 can connect that seat of the pants feeling.
I can't speak for anyone that has Never driven a real car, but are using PSVR2. However, those of us that do drive or have driven real cars, PSVR2 is certainly a tool that can probably get sim racers up to speed, in a real race car, quicker.

What is needed of the motorsports world now is to make it easier for sim-racers to get into.
Real racing is expensive af...
Will pd/kaz start to handout monetary prizes?
I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else that the gt players are not allowed to wear their own shirts (with sponsor ads) in the different events...

"But real motorsports has a history of over 100 years now, so change for that industry is not as easy. […] What is needed of the motorsports world now is to make it easier for sim-racers to get into."

“Then it will become more natural for motorsports as a whole. People in the motorsports world keep talking about grassroots motorsports, but if you really put thought into what is grassroots racing, that is something they should realize that needs to be integrated.”

I was intrigued by the title, but disappointed that Kaz didn't really get into the core notion of how he would like motorsports to change. This is an interesting question as we all know how difficult it is for talent to find opportunities -- the barriesr to entry are enormous.

But as one of the pioneers of sim racing, Kaz is in a unique position to communicate some valuable assertions about evolving this sport, especially through the success of GT Academy. It would have been interesting to hear his views on what kind of hurdles he sees dissolving and impactful changes he sees in the horizon and beyond. Perhaps even a statement or two on how GT will play a role to further enhance this accessibility may have been music to budding racers.

Shame really, perhaps next time...

Your take on Max it's insane. Have you ever spent 60-100 training for an endurance event, paid other drivers to be there and to train for the event, scheduled time away from your super model girlfriend, and your job as a Formula 1 champion only to have the race attacked, and then get screwed over by the organizers unfairly ensuring you have zero chance to win? Because unless you have then you really have no idea what your talking about.

Your take on Max it's insane. Have you ever spent 60-100 training for an endurance event, paid other drivers to be there and to train for the event, scheduled time away from your super model girlfriend, and your job as a Formula 1 champion only to have the race attacked, and then get screwed over by the organizers unfairly ensuring you have zero chance to win? Because unless you have then you really have no idea what your talking about.
Max? is that you?

I'm almost morbidly intrigued... so...

... what take? There's no take in there. It's factual. You seem to have read something into it that isn't there.

I honestly thought the article would talk about the other controversy with Max,him acting like a child and ramming a competitor off track in Iracing.

Kaz is talking a lot in the past few weeks...But he is doing not much for the Game it self...
Kaz talk less...do more for GT7...
Still missing a lot of things and the Game is almost 2 Years out...What a Shame!
It’s not perfect and could be better, yes… but it’s one of the best racing games ever made. They released pretty big updates since release with VR, new graphic modes, the spec 2 update. It’s by far not bad.
I wouldn’t complain the whole time.
For me personally I would prefer a bit more content as a paid dlc (10-20€) instead of the smaller free updates only.

Someday, I might be able to earn my FIA Digital License so I can finally complain about not being able to afford real-life motorsports.
See, that's the crux of the matter isn't it. Whatever form of motorsport you originate from, be it racing sims, karting or just grass roots racing, matters nothing unless you have financial backing to get you to the next stage. It's never been any different.

Just as a loose example.

Do you even race, Z?

Just as a loose example.

I'm sure people who are serious about this are also completely aware of what the differences are and will be prepared for them. I just think sim racing sets a firm foundation.

Made me lol at max taking time off from his super model girlfriend so he can prep for a sim race

PSVR2 bridges that gap. Now, no doubt it's still about the visuals, but players using PSVR2 can connect that seat of the pants feeling.
I can't speak for anyone that has Never driven a real car, but are using PSVR2. However, those of us that do drive or have driven real cars, PSVR2 is certainly a tool that can probably get sim racers up to speed, in a real race car, quicker.
I have used it many times in GT7 and other games, I get no seat of the pants feeling whatsoever. Spacial awareness is much improved yes, but no additional sensations.

You still cant feel anything underneath you.
Also motion rigs really dont do it any justice, its a neat novelty but not much more than that.

Last edited:
Allthough interesting, I don't know why so much effort and talk goes into this whole e-thing while 95% of its player's base are 'casuals' that enjoy the game side of GT and not the ultra hardcore part 🤔

No. No it doesn't. While I agree VR is a huge jump between flat screen sim and real life racing, it doesn't "bridge the gap". It's like flat screen sim is maybe 25% of the way to reality, at most, and if VR doubles that, then you are still only halfway to the full experience. (And I'm being generous in that assessment). In real life, the physical aspects, the g-forces, adds soooo much input into your spacial awareness, and the physics that are happening are soooo much more apparent. Maybe our interpretation of the phrase, "bridge the gap" is the only real difference in opinion here, and I agree that VR is a HUGE step forward in realism and immersion, and yes, even in the practice of there being more of a connection between real drivers and sim drivers.

Sometimes i'm surprised how it's possible to actually feel a bump or a slide precisely on the left rear wheel for instance, how the brain creates this illusion or I don't know, from the FF, the seat vibrations from the FF, and VR. Doesn't happen often though. Still is not too different from the feelings you get from a street car, a race car must be different of course.

Back