How to be a more patient driver

  • Thread starter Thread starter sicbeing
  • 39 comments
  • 1,773 views
Messages
1,103
Messages
Cribanox
I have kind of a problem. I get really impatient with this game.

I have all the licenses completed, only the B all golded and most of A, the rest is a mix ofbronze/silver/gold.

I have missions 1-11, and 13 completed.

I have SOME patience as you can see, but sometimes, it gets out of hand. I throw controllers if I sit there for a long time trying to squeeze out a 0.001 of a second difference but just cannot do it.

Tonight I was playing GT3 for the first time in a while. I was trying this test (I think in A) where you're in a camaro in seattle and you drive up the "steps" then take that hard right turn. I sat there for over an hour, trying over, and over, and over, trying to analyze and observe everything possible, the demo, the line on the road, everything, I was about 0.090 off every time (of the gold). I just could NOT squeeze it out. I figured that was my absolute best possible and nothing could make me take the turn any better.

I watched the demo, and I couldnt tell the difference between what he was doing and what i was doing. It looked exactly the same, except his outcome was over 0.100 faster than my time.

I had a little problem, I tried this thing where I try not to piss myself off for the long period of time, cuz I figure I'll eventually get it if I keep cool. This was the first time that didn't work.

I ended up taking a hammer to my disc, and now I cant play GT3 anymore.

It was dumb, sure.

My main question is. These games take you down to the VERY specifics. To the final fractions of a second. The very wind it seems can alter a whole test or mission. A few degrees of an angle, a fraction of a second between braking points, turning points, acceleration points, everything can determine that extra time needed to complete the race. WHAT am I supposed to be looking for when I cant win? HOW can I figure out how to make things better?

Missions in GT4 dont give that nifty racing line to take, how the hell am I suppose to know where to go and how hard to push it? Trial and error? WHy is this game to insanely difficult? This has to be THE hardest game period, when It comes to whether you want that gold or not.

How can I alter myself to make me a better racer? Sure, there are line theorys, there are many differnt ways to take certain turns depending on the car, tire wear, how many opponents are in front of you, etc. Sure, the tests in the licenses help, but then again, they dont. Every car drives differently. The tests teach you how to take a specific car, on a specific track, and most of the time on a speific turn even. Yes, this helps with your line theorys and braking ideas, but there are 700+ cars in this game, sometimes it only seems to confuse me.

Anyway, this is something thats been bothering me. If it wasnt for the fact of the great racers on this website, i would seriously, believe, that this game was impossible. Yes, impossible. For now, it still is, to me anyway.

Thanks in advance, especially if you took the time to read this rant.
 
When I feel the urge to break things building inside me, I put down the controller, leave the room, get a drink, have a smoke, or whatever. Usually during this time, my head becomes clear, and my mind starts thinking of different ways I could go about things, or atleast reminds me that its just a game to reduce my rage.
 
Just chill. Remember, first and foremost, that it's only a game. If you're feeling the urge to smash things up out of frustration, I'd ask yourself the question: do you really WANT to do this? It's a game, it's there for your enjoyment - if what you're playing is relieving you of the will to live and feels like a duty you feel obliged to do, I'd say stop. You don't have to complete GT4 to have a full and rewarding life and if you're spending every waking hour trying to do this then I'd also ask you if there's anything more productive you could be doing with your time.
 
I would advise you to start writing death metal lyrics next time you feel the insatiable urge to destroy something.

"grunt grunt grunt something about hammer going to fall grunt grunt, scream, corpse out of hell burning with desire to burn hammer, grunt grunt"

That would calm me down.

Seriously, just practice more. You'll get it. All you have to do is keep practicing and you'll get there. Try something new. Make sure you know where the apex is for each turn... some turns have a dual-apex like Flugplatz on the ring. Slow in, fast out. Try and do your braking before the turn and some during it.

You can check out some of my videos (link in sig) and maybe that'll help some.
 
Settle for the lesser valued medal for a period of time. Do some racing, and then return to the tests. I swear you are now better suited for that test than you were a few days, or even weeks, ago!
And for some of the licenses you can get tha racingline in blue/red/white by pressing some button. Can´t remeber wich one ATM, so just push around. It´s showable in A and B atleast.
 
well i dont throw things but i just my parents are getting yellings :( sorry mom..
 
HAHAHHAHA LOL:lol: Thats rediculous hahaha.

Anyone have a Rofl Copter here?

Anyway.....lol.....:lol: You have to remember that in order to be fast you should hold off the throttle a bit too. I dunno, it's about patience like you said. It's possible and because it's a game anyone can do it with enough patience. It's not like you cant drive the same line as others do that HAVE completed the test.

And otherwise get a break, it's not like GT4 or GT3 is your life....I hope not:scared:...You can back off and do something else too;)

Edit: Try to think if you have it right, if you think the ideal racing line IS really the ideal racing line. And there might be faster lines than the guide movie shows you. For example, I have a time on New York with a skyline, and it's my fastest lap time with it so far, although it has a "mistake"in it.

First corner, is real sharp, you can fly out the corner easily. In my fastest time, I went too late on the brakes, missing my apex, but I was able to turn the car quickly and eventually get out of the corner WAY faster than in my next attempts. I have yet to find out how I could get quicker out of the corner....it seems impossible though it's far from the ideal race line.
 
No doubt about it, some licence tests are exceptionally difficult, and I remember speaking a few choice words to my PS2 during that Seattle/Camaro test myself. But I can't say that I've ever really suffered from 'PS2 Rage' much, although I have chucked my controller at the bed a few times, but nothing quite so drastic as murdering my GT3 disc...

I think the key here is to stop when you start getting frustrated. I set about trying to gold my GT4 licences, but I got stuck on the Mercedes at El Capitan test. But rather than pushing myself further, I decided to call it a night. But far from that feeling of losing the momentum (you know, that "If I don't do it now, I'll never do it" feeling), I took the approach that the practice I had put in that night would hold me in good stead for my next attempt. A couple of nights later, I tried it again, and what do you know, it took me less than 20 minutes (after having struggled for a couple of hours previously)... there's a lot to be said for a fresh start - you only become a better driver (in GT) by putting in some useful practice. Sometimes, pushing for that extra 0.010 sec to get a gold can become counterproductive...

Aside from pushing yourself too hard, I don't think you are doing much else wrong... watching the demos, watching your replays and using the ghost are all useful aides to becoming a better player... but keeping the fun/enjoyment levels up, and the frustration levels down is also important...
 
Team666
And for some of the licenses you can get tha racingline in blue/red/white by pressing some button. Can´t remeber wich one ATM, so just push around. It´s showable in A and B atleast.

Pushing R3 in the A and B licenses only gives the guide line on the track. Might be the same for GT3..

I know how you feel about those licenses - the 10^n attempts that just seem so good, and yet still aren't good enough. Best thing you can do, have a few goes, and if you dont manage it after about 10-15mins (or you're annoyed by then) go do something else. Get up the next day, and before you do anything, turn on your PS2, and have a go. Works for me - no other way I would have got silver on the Grand Canyon S-license. I cannot rally drive in GT4!!

There's not much point me giving advice about the Camaro test, but I found aiming the nose at the very corner of the inside barrier meant you either hit it, or you got a good time.
 
Getting 100% and all golds is not for everyone. There are people with incredible patience that like to push themselves to the limits. You don't seem to be one of them :-)
You can have lots of fun with the game without ever finishing it.
 
I'm having a similar difficult time with Mission 11.

"My car has 3 horsepower, weighs 42 tons, turns like a continent, and I'm six hours behind with three laps to go. Okay, no problem."

And I had another hard time with Mission 10. But not like this.

But I blew through the licenses, as I have no interest in getting gold, just passing. XD
 
that's why i cheat myself to gold.

it jsut isn't fun to do those things over and over.

same with missions.
 
Ah yes, the good ol'anger that games produce, I've experienced it many a time.

Lately though if I come to withing a second of whatever it is I'm after, I stare at the screen for a little, and then laugh as soon as Mr.White comes in with Ohhhhhh Yeaaaaaaaah, makes me almost want to fail. :lol:

Quite simply just relax, remember, its a game, its not life or death, just chill out, maybe with a drink and some decent music and just have some fun. And laugh if you fail, its better for your health.
;)
 
Well, when I get annoyed I try to carry on and on, and in the end I know I shouldn't, so I stop playing it for a while. I noticed if you come back to the game again after a good few hours, you win the race pretty much after a few tries. It's just when I start to get annoyed I don't think like that until the last moment. I just have to get it done. Luckily, I haven't got to proper physical unleashment yet, only squeezing the controler has hard as I can.

So frequent breaks do wonders. :)
 
Now I called this rediculous, but damn that VOICE IS SOOO DAMN ANNOYING!! NO WONDER YOU GET :censored:ing PISSED ABOUT THAT STUPID:censored::mad:(#)&)!_*-82-i423=-)&@)":mad:

Lol it really annoys me, the song really makes me look like a loser;)
 
The Camaro test in GT3 gave me fits, try to stay constant with your speed at the turn wait a second then floor it. Well that is if you still had GT3 in one piece. To take the disc out of your console, getting a hammer, then smashing the disc into tiny bits is major league P@$$ed off.
Not to be a pain, but did you feel happy or satisifed after you killed your game.:)
I've been at times very vexed to say the least at some tests in all GT 1-4, but killing a game I paid for, not even close.
Sorry to hear a game can bring you to physically lash out, when things don't go your way.
 
You may actually be trying too hard.
You may be entering the corner 2-3 kmh too fast and having to apply 5 degrees more steering lock to make the turn.
Try entering the corner a bit slower with less lock. Your corner exit speed will be fractionally higher thus giving you the fractions of a second you need to get gold.
Have you noticed in GT4 how much extra speed you can carry in a corner if you use less steering lock.

GT1 was fun, GT2 got me hooked, GT3 was totally awesome, GT4 is hard work but very rewarding when you finally beat that certain task you have set for yourself.
 
dudejo
that's why i cheat myself to gold.

it jsut isn't fun to do those things over and over.

same with missions.

Well.. If cheating can make you feel better about yourself, please carry on...
 
About your braking point - according to Mercedes-Benz, it says that a car going at 100km/h can cover almost 7m in 250 milliseconds (I remember this when the salesperson showed me the brochure with a description of the SLK brake lights) So...it makes a lot of difference when you brake, and how much, GT4 locks your brakes.
 
I'm a new member but have played GT3 off and on for a year and GT4 for a few weeks now.

As others mentioned, you have to put it down for a while. It happens. For example, in GT3, there was an exam where you had to go through these turns that kept getting smaller and smaller. I must have tried for a week to complete that thing. The longer I stayed with it, the more frustrated I got.

One evening before I went out, I turned it on while waiting for some people to pick me up. Jumped over to the test and hit it the first try. I didn't even sit down to do it.

I don't worry about golds or anything. If they happen they happen.
 
i remember this really hard time trial in GT3, took me a while. I think it is Complex Course (or is it Complex String) with the RUF 3400S. Takes practice. Got all gold for GT3. 100% completion. took me a hell of a long time to complete that one.
 
When I started to play Gran Turismo, I didn't give a damn about how to race. I understeer in every corners & overpower my every car just to make credits to buy new car. It tooks me weeks just to pass my test in bronze & though it was impossible just to get the S license. Though with training & learning, I learned the braking. Dang I was even proud to be able to make a whole lap without an accident. :lol:

Now I started to read & follow instruction & copycat the the License demo & was able to get silver easily, but had big trouble to get Gold.



One day, my friend showed me the first episode of Initial D where you see that 86 pass that yellow RX7. I was wondering, why the hell the car is so close to the wall... A car have 4 wheel & have an engine. It's common sense that what touch to the ground is the tires. Technically, what make your traction is the tarmac & the tires. So I came up into another level. Use every place possible to lower my time, so using the whole surrounding in a legit way to do the quikest lap is the main goal on a fast lap. So almost kiss the wall in the whole run, riding the rumble strip, make your rear tires to slide on the tarmac to gain angle to get the apex, drafting... etc.

Click on the pic for viewing the video.

The Technique to lap very fast.

The most common difference of someone fast & someone very fast is the way how the person enter the corner. If the position of the entry is bad, the whole turn is bad. the slow & fast pics is a good example of this kind of error. You can see that the car is pushing more into the wall. the closest is your entry, the better is your exit. radius lines shall be round & the faster is your time. Bigger it is the more stable your are.
 
you are forgetting late-apex corners.

Question: isn't it typical to be that close to the wall? sometimes i m even closer.
 
sicbeing
I have kind of a problem. I get really impatient with this game.

I have all the licenses completed, only the B all golded and most of A, the rest is a mix ofbronze/silver/gold.

I have missions 1-11, and 13 completed.

I have SOME patience as you can see, but sometimes, it gets out of hand. I throw controllers if I sit there for a long time trying to squeeze out a 0.001 of a second difference but just cannot do it.

Tonight I was playing GT3 for the first time in a while. I was trying this test (I think in A) where you're in a camaro in seattle and you drive up the "steps" then take that hard right turn. I sat there for over an hour, trying over, and over, and over, trying to analyze and observe everything possible, the demo, the line on the road, everything, I was about 0.090 off every time (of the gold). I just could NOT squeeze it out. I figured that was my absolute best possible and nothing could make me take the turn any better.

I watched the demo, and I couldnt tell the difference between what he was doing and what i was doing. It looked exactly the same, except his outcome was over 0.100 faster than my time.

I had a little problem, I tried this thing where I try not to piss myself off for the long period of time, cuz I figure I'll eventually get it if I keep cool. This was the first time that didn't work.

I ended up taking a hammer to my disc, and now I cant play GT3 anymore.

It was dumb, sure.

My main question is. These games take you down to the VERY specifics. To the final fractions of a second. The very wind it seems can alter a whole test or mission. A few degrees of an angle, a fraction of a second between braking points, turning points, acceleration points, everything can determine that extra time needed to complete the race. WHAT am I supposed to be looking for when I cant win? HOW can I figure out how to make things better?

Missions in GT4 dont give that nifty racing line to take, how the hell am I suppose to know where to go and how hard to push it? Trial and error? WHy is this game to insanely difficult? This has to be THE hardest game period, when It comes to whether you want that gold or not.

How can I alter myself to make me a better racer? Sure, there are line theorys, there are many differnt ways to take certain turns depending on the car, tire wear, how many opponents are in front of you, etc. Sure, the tests in the licenses help, but then again, they dont. Every car drives differently. The tests teach you how to take a specific car, on a specific track, and most of the time on a speific turn even. Yes, this helps with your line theorys and braking ideas, but there are 700+ cars in this game, sometimes it only seems to confuse me.

Anyway, this is something thats been bothering me. If it wasnt for the fact of the great racers on this website, i would seriously, believe, that this game was impossible. Yes, impossible. For now, it still is, to me anyway.

Thanks in advance, especially if you took the time to read this rant.

There is a point to these liesece tests, my best advise is to play the rest of the game and come back to the tests and you will find things a hole lot different.
I felt the same, I wanted smash everything in sight and sometimes the DS2 would go flying, but after thinking about it, the tests make you get better at driving in the game by doing it over and over, it can sometimes suck but after playing 90% of GT4 I went back to get all licenses in gold and it was a lot easier. P.S. that test in GT3 you posted pissed me right off as well.
 
i hate the GT4 failing song 🤬

i'm very short-tempered myself, but i've learnt to not get upset anymore.

i remember going to bed one night, i left my brother in-law in the living room playing tiger woods pga. when i came back downstairs in the morning the controller was ripped from out of the socket and wires were sticking out everywhere, and one of the buttons were mashed / crushed... i think is was L2 :nervous:
 
Back