How to become a better driver

  • Thread starter Thread starter Torzilla
  • 11 comments
  • 1,064 views
Messages
648
Messages
torzilla
Anyone know any websites or tips that can take second off lap times? Personally I like to drive slowly around a track and get faster every lap until I can nail every apex.
 
Im no expert driver but i'll offer my 2 cents.

improving your technique essentially means 1 thing to me

Memorizing the track and braking patterns.

If you know your track well enough, youll be able to predict when to brake (late/early depending on the car 4wd/ff/fr etc) And how your braking and angle at one turn will influence your entry into the next turn.

Its all about memorizing and applying just the right amount of braking and acceleration.

what youre doing, slowly trying to decrease lap times is a great idea. you will easily learn where your cars limits are that way. and can make tuning adjustments accordingly.

Learning how to tune your cars also really helps. Nurburgring is a great teacher.

The wheel is a must!
 
Personally i would avoid tuning at the beginning. You have to be a consistent driver to accurately judge if the tune worked or not. I have often tried to tune the car and gotten better times just to notice that it wasn't the tune at all and i could drive even faster with the stock tune. Focus first on the exit speed from the corners and then on the entry and the corner speeds. Corners that are followed by a straightaway are most important...

Actually just order and read Speed Secrets written by Ross Bentley. It's doesn't cost much and is interesting read. :)
 
I learned how to drive fast just from practicing on the Ring with different cars. Start with slower lower powered cars then move up.

Practicing in the arcade isn't a bad idea honestly. And using weaker tires increases skill quite a bit, although it makes driving much harder it's much more rewarding(or frustrating if you're using comfort hards). Turn off aids and all that jazz too.
 
What I've done is take a low HP car out to learn tracks and gradually
work up to race car super car level HP. The ring is a perfect test track.
 
I could answer in one word.

Practice.

You can watch all the videos and read all the notes, but at the end of the day if you cant ACTUALLY do it then you've just wasted time. For example, you can watch all the videos of some young gun doing all these fancy moves with a soccer ball. But you go outside and try the same thing and it just will not happen.

For GT5 what I can advise doing is getting a good all round car. I highly recommend a road car that you know you can drive well. Personally, I'd use my Evo 9 RM.

Turn on the driving line in the menu and for the first 2-3 laps try and stick to the line at a good pace. After that, drive a little harder so your really testing the breaking points and trying to kiss the apex's. Once you've done a few laps like that, exit, turn the driver line off and do the same again. 2-3 laps at a moderate pace and then go faster and try and meet the apex's.

I've tried and tested this, maybe it'll only work for me but its an opinion you want right? I used to DESTEST Laguna Seca. Really really hated it. But after doing so many laps in GT3/4 and practicing on it to get decent laps times I soon found myself in a proper simulator enviroment racing in a tight battle with an ex rally driver. That night is when I can say Laguna became my favourite track ever. I may have lost but the fact that I knew the track kerb by kerb, the passing points, and how to take the Corkscrew I knew the hard work had paid off. (FYI, I did this race in a place here in NI called Room2Race, 16 proper racing cockpits all hooked up with rFactor software to run simulated races.)

The next thing is the car setup. I wouldn't say Im a good tuner, I know what it does but it often confuses me at the same time. I do however have a "standard" setup that I can put on all cars and they will handle better for me I find.


The final tip I can put in, try and do these practices in a lobby online or just your own lounge. The fuel and tire wear are great to learn, and you'll soon find that the optimised racing line / better car control is actually going to be a much better way of saving fuel and your rubber than driving slower.
 
Best advice I can give is leave the X2010 in the garage until you can handle all the other cars perfectly otherwise you'll spend lots of time pulling grass out of the air intakes!
:sly:
 
I agree with tommy above me. Practice, practice, practice. And yes Allen Iverson we are talking about practice.
 
Back