How to convert GT5 Prologue replays?

Guedes747
Hi, everyone im new on this Forum. Soo ive been searching alot about something that bothers me, how do i convert the Gran Turismo 5 Replay data into something like, for example, .wmv?

I didn't knew if anyone has asked this before but, incase theres allready a topic about this, im sorry for creating a second/third/... one.

Reply back, cheers.

Hi there Pedro, yeah unfortunately it's just as crazytortoise said; replays can't be converted to any other form. Basically I think the replays of all Gran Turismo versions and Tourist Trophy to date are .dat files; a set of instructions for the game to replicate everytime you play it. This explains why the file size of replays are so small; with an average replay weight being about 50kb. Although I have thought about the possibility of running GT on a monitor that your computer is also connected to; then by using a Screen Recording software to record what's being displayed, I can't say it works as I've never checked it out myself.
All is not lost though, as it has been confirmed numerous times that GT5 will feature the ability to upload replays to Youtube, this is fair indication that replays will now be in a variable format. The situation can simply be atributed to the fact that PS3 have HDD's and PS1/PS2's only had small capacity memory cards.
Hope this helps,;)
Rusty*

Hi there Pedro, yeah unfortunately it's just as crazytortoise said; replays can't be converted to any other form. Basically I think the replays of all Gran Turismo versions and Tourist Trophy to date are .dat files; a set of instructions for the game to replicate everytime you play it. This explains why the file size of replays are so small; with an average replay weight being about 50kb. Although I have thought about the possibility of running GT on a monitor that your computer is also connected to; then by using a Screen Recording software to record what's being displayed, I can't say it works as I've never checked it out myself.
All is not lost though, as it has been confirmed numerous times that GT5 will feature the ability to upload replays to Youtube, this is fair indication that replays will now be in a variable format. The situation can simply be atributed to the fact that PS3 have HDD's and PS1/PS2's only had small capacity memory cards.
Hope this helps,;)
Rusty*

Ok cheers, im looking foward for Gran Turismo 5 release.... and i hope that replay direct upload thinguie is true. But i think... would be cooler if it alowed you to pass them replays to your computer, that way you could add titles, effects, etc....

Let's just wait to see....

Offtopic: How do i add avatar on this Forum by the way? :)

But i think... would be cooler if it alowed you to pass them replays to your computer, that way you could add titles, effects, etc....
You can always download the file from your youtube account.

You can always download the file from your youtube account.

Yeah...., i didn't rembered that downloading the video raw files from youtube was possible now lol ( some time ago i had to download tools to do it, and never worked, maybe because im too damn noobish :crazy: )

Anyways, as i mentioned, im really looking foward to get Gran Turismo 5 and start doing videos heh.

This thread can be locked / deleted now, i got all my answears, thanks everyone for the soupport. :)

I don't think your looking to convert the replays because as was mentioned, it just uses a data file to then render the cars on screen and the background and repeat what you just did, that is the reason why the final sizes are so tiny.

Now what you want to do is capture your replays with some type of capture device.

There are a couple of ways you can do it, none of them are free, some cost less than others but it depends on the quality you want to have.

If you are looking to capture in HD, you'll need a device to capture in HD. This is somewhat expensive. You being in Europe I'm not sure what the prices would be or what's available, but it seems the Black Magic Intensity Pro or Hauppauge HD-DVR

HD Capture Tutorial

The HD-PVR captures in H.264, from there you can make it Windows Video if you want, though I don't think you need too. The Black Magic is a capture card and tends to be buggy at times. Some devices will not handshake with it via HDMI, so your only option might be to use the included dongle and use analog component capture, which still provides excellent quality.

Now if HD quality isn't important, you can pretty much get any USB based capture card which run from $40-$100US you want and capture via S-Video. Won't look quite as nice but will make a smaller file and is easier to download and share.

Personally I think one of the easiest ways to capture from game consoles without much fuss is the Pinnacle Video Transfer because you don't need a PC to capture video from anything.

To be honest though, watching stuff in HD makes it hard to watch stuff in SD, it just doesn't have the same impact...

Screen capture? I don't think that will work, you need a video input for that to work which means you still need a capture card of some sort.

hi :) i use a dazzle dvc 130 to make videos from PS2/3

nice and easy to use, and i don't suppose its very expensive online nowadays

the editing software it comes with is ok too 👍

I purchased an HDMI splitter on Amazon (which I ended up returning since it wouldn't split the connection) for about $15, a keyboard with touchpad for $45 from Newegg (so I can use my computer on the couch) and soon I'll be getting a Black Magic Design Intensity Pro PCI-E card to record the PS3 replays in 1080P1080i (will encode the replays in 720p) using Adobe Premiere CS4 (it also comes with its own recording software too, which is uber easy to use). Then I wont have to move my PS3 from room to room, unplug and reset it to go between composite and HD, I'll have my computer next to the PS3 and I have it going HDMI to the TV as well.

Here is generally what my setup is like:

HDTV < Component Splitter > Computer
....................../\
.....................PS3

The Intensity Pro is only $199, I know there are cards that are $500 on up, so I'll let you all know how it goes. Then I can upload the replays to You Tube (using FIOS) and link it to my website for viewing, w00t! Well thats the plan anyway, life loves throwing curveballs here and there.

HDMI Splitter (Doesn't work properly; returned)

USB Keyboard with Touchpad (I bought the PS3 Logitech Mediaboard but its not compatible with Windows, LOL)

Black Magic Intensity Pro HD Capture Card

UPDATE: The above HDMI Splitter doesn't work properly for the PS3, the PS3 will only display on one of the ports (the other the TV says 'No Signal') and because I totally forgot about HDCP, I have my PS3 running 1080i via Component to the Blackmagic Card and HDMI out to the TV via my video card (also in 1080i)

The keyboard I got from amazon is okay for the price, the keys don't always press down properly and the range of it is kind of limited to about 6 to 8ft, but overall its fine for casual use. I'm currently looking for a component splitter so I can have one component to the Blackmagic card and the other to the TV so all I have to do is change inputs to play a game or record.

UPDATE 2: I went to radio shack and bought a quote (Component) "1-In/4-Out Distribution Amplifier" Model #15-130 aka Component Splitter with a power supply (seems to be a radio shack house brand). It's not listed on the radio shack website, but it's regularly $69.99 and it was on clearance today for $40.77, w00t (No Sales Tax, man Oregon is great for that :lol:) I also went to Best Buy to get some component cables since Radio shack wanted $40+ for their cables. I got 2 cheap(er) Dynex brand Component (video only) cables and bought a sort of matching pair audio cables. Which unfortunately ran me another $85 bux, but it looks great. I just watched a movie with this setup and it upscaled the SD Movie to 1080i perfectly and it also plays GT5P just fine. TBH, I can't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p quality.

Here is the Radio Shack Component Splitter (this and the Radio Shack model also have composite video in/out too, fyi) on Buzillions.com

Here are the Dynex Component Cables that I used from Best Buy. Oddly enough Best Buy doesn't have the Digital Audio cables I bought ($17.99) on their website. But they match the Components and are also Dynex.

Now I know I could have gotten a far better deal on the cables, but I just had to know that it would work ASAP. I initially tried using the Component cables that came with the PS3, but to be honest they left some ghosting images on the screen no matter if I chose 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p (tried 1080p just to see even though Component only does 1080i as far as I know) so I went a local store called Fred Meyer and bought the 'Official' Sony PS3 Component cables, and BAM! Looks great, just as good as when I had it HDMI via 1080p just a couple days ago.

Here is the 'Official' PS3 Component Cables listed at Gamestop.

Here is the total cost for my setup (just specifically for recording replays) including estimated shipping costs (if applicable)

Black Magic Card - $189.00 (bought locally from www.powermax.com in Lake Oswego)
Official Sony PS3 Component Cables - $20 (Saved $5, w00t!)
USB Wired Keyboard/Trackpad - $56
Component Splitter - $41
Two Sets Of Component Cables - $36
Total - $342 Yikes!
But Happy :D

Jerome

Last edited:
Back