How to create a Neon Glow Effect SVG?

• Thread starter Gintonyx
  • 3 comments
Germany
Munich
Hello there

i am wondering how you guys would practically make neon signs like this for GT7…

Apparently this one is made from 3 layers for each neon tube.
  • Would you make them out of three shapes on three separate layers?
  • Or one shape with a stroke and a glow (shadow)? (I’ve never got a shadow to work)

Has anyone ever got a glow / shadow to work?

Seems as simple as making a shape, Duplicating it a couple times moving the new ones to lower layers and adding strokes of increasing width. The top layer could be fill+stroke but the rest would just be strokes.

You can play around with opacity to start getting some shadow effect, Half possible to do things with gradients but its a road to madness.

Glow/shadow/blur just dont work in GT.

I'd just make that with lines of different stroke thickness. Wider as you go down, changing the colour as necessary.

For Glow or Shadow, make a couple more layers at the back and do the same thing (increase the stroke), but apply like a 20% opacity.

You could use the in game circle shapes that fade out from the centre, even behind that, again with really low opacity, stretched to approximately fit behind parts of the decal, for a really diffuse glow.

It's possible to do some stuff with gradients in decals, but it's pretty time consuming and rarely really worth the effort.

Back