How to drift

England
Manchester
xX-mInIrOb-Xx
Well, i only learned how to drift a couple of days ago and now im making smoke round every corner. I was wondering how to drift for ages!

So, on the way into the corner, give your car a wiggle left and right finishing on the side the corner is, either left or right, hopefully your car should kick out into a drift but keep you finger on the accelerator! Good luck

Last edited:
You should never be steering INTO the drift, that's why it's called countersteer.

Thanks for the good intentions mate, but most people on this sub-forum have drifted for years.

If you want to prolong your drift make sure you're using comfort hard, and preferably a 5-60-60 LSD. Watch this to see what kind of lines you should be taking;

No problems, nice to see that attitude around here.

People will no doubt need help with GT6 when it comes around.

If you knew wallride (decoy187), you would know that's just how the guy drifts, no angle mod.

:scared:

Although, contrary to popular belief, angle "hack" is actually not an unrealistic mod, its the equivalent of people using something like DriftWorks Geomaster Drift Hub knuckles in real life, like many people in Formula D USA.

It actually takes time to get used to, sure you can get high angle easier but it takes time to be consistent and smooth with it.

Last edited:
True but still for me it'd be pretty hard to get the steering hack, sorta get hybrids but meh :lol:
It really helps out if you have reached the cars angle limits like I have, and like decoy keeps doing. I was constantly full lock and wanted more so bad I could taste it. Pretty much decoy and I were on the same high level, but when I found out you could put in more I did it and haven't looked back. The steering feel is much better for me, it makes the wheel tighter and more responsive. The only downside is I had to pretty much forget what became so instinctive after knowing and using the car at its limit for so long because I went from basically stock to wisefab-stupid angle. But I have come to love it very much.

It really helps out if you have reached the cars angle limits like I have, and like decoy keeps doing. I was constantly full lock and wanted more so bad I could taste it. Pretty much decoy and I were on the same high level, but when I found out you could put in more I did it and haven't looked back. The steering feel is much better for me, it makes the wheel tighter and more responsive. The only downside is I had to pretty much forget what became so instinctive after knowing and using the car at its limit for so long because I went from basically stock to wisefab-stupid angle. But I have come to love it very much.

So like arguably the adjustment of instinct realising that full lock is at the hacked angle is wayyy larger then the normal lock you drift on, sweet 👍

GTV0819
Drifting with a JDM car is somewhat better than other cars that aren't JDM.

You got this all wrong. It all depends on your style. I drifted a z4 in vdc, my friend drifted a cobra r and we came 1 & 2 in the season.

Eric1512
You got this all wrong. It all depends on your style. I drifted a z4 in vdc, my friend drifted a cobra r and we came 1 & 2 in the season.

Of course.

It's just what I have felt with some cars. Not trying to say that you should believe in that statement of mine's. If that's a Z4, then it's good. I just don't know about the others, mostly the american.

Here's the guy that taught me the steering mod and I have the same thoughts about it. I always wanted more angle but the stock settings limit that so much. We also run around the same steering angle. But I don't think it would be good for beginners. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Some stoopid angle
ScreenShot2013-10-19at40039AM_zps8fbc4f0a.png

ScreenShot2013-10-19at40815AM_zps5e9e6fa5.png

ScreenShot2013-10-19at40858AM_zps0ded05f4.png

Edit: sorry for the quality of the pics they were screenshots of the last video we did. Couldn't get any of Lay because he was all up on decoy.

Last edited:
Here's the guy that taught me the steering mod and I have the same thoughts about it. I always wanted more angle but the stock settings limit that so much. We also run around the same steering angle. But I don't think it would be good for beginners. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Some stoopid angle

Edit: sorry for the quality of the pics they were screenshots of the last video we did. Couldn't get any of Lay because he was all up on decoy.

Tbh I think it would be better for wheel noobs to use lock. It makes drifting alot easier.

Tbh I think it would be better for wheel noobs to use lock. It makes drifting alot easier.
I can't recommend it for a noob. It's best to learn with stock cars and find their limits first and foremost. And that takes a long while to be able to drift and use the car to its limit. I mean like basically they need to learn to rest the wheel on full lock and use the throttle and brake to change their angle and line. This usually makes the front inside tire red and smoking. Also this will make you a lot slower unless you know what you are doing. Until then there's no need for more angle for a noob. They won't know how to properly use it and it will end up being a huge crutch if PD patches all of this out as well as the fact that you have to change each and every car for the lock. This is not beneficial.

Last edited:

I agree bro. I learnt how to drift in a blitz r34. Then went to a 700+ hp supra. Meh.

And yeah, if you give a wheel noob lock it's easier for them as it's harder to spin.

I agree bro. I learnt how to drift in a blitz r34. Then went to a 700+ hp supra. Meh. And yeah, if you give a wheel noob lock it's easier for them as it's harder to spin.
But they learn nothing from it starting off. It's like telling a noob that the best track for learning to drift is cote de azure, or like using CS in the front and CH in the rear.

But they learn nothing from it starting off. It's like telling a noob that the best track for learning to drift is cote de azure, or like using CS in the front and CH in the rear.

I learned on High Speed Ring's S turns. Just drive at a decent pace then when oyu hit the corner turn into it and give a little bit of throttle at a time until you get a feel for the counter steer. After a while you'll get the hang of it and maintain longer drifts. The biggest problem was exiting a corner which you have to floor it instead of lifting off the gas. Although in real life you would drop the clutch and it will straighten for it self but that's a physics issue.

What do you mean they learn nothing from it starting off? I don't think you've seen me drift lol

I learnt quite a lot from my personal experience, and picked it up relatively quick.

Back