How to fix punting/rammers.

• Thread starter Goliath9
  • 23 comments
Canada
Canada
Realism is one thing, but you can also suspect that in real life people will be less likely to go around smashing cars on the track on purpose.

So, to deal with punting: when you ram into the back of the car in front of you, instead of the game sending the car ahead flying off the track, it should let the car ahead continue as though it were untouched and instead make it for the rammer as though he drove into a stationary object (wall). So if you ram into the back of someone else, you are penalized with a crash as it was your fault you didn't brake in time or decided to ram.

As of now, if I want to pass someone, I can wait for a corner, get behind my adversary, and hit him off and continue on my way with a small penalty (if he goes off of the track). With the system above, if I want to get ahead and be quick, it's in my best interest to NOT rear end someone.

Same for side swipes. Treat the swiper as though they swiped into a wall and don't affect the physics of the car going in a straight vector.

The only downside is that it is extremely unrealistic but I don't know that we need realistic ramming other players physics.

I don't enjoy being punted off ... dropping form like 3rd to 10th while the rammer gets a 2 second penalty and typically goes on ramming. I like your idea, or just ghost the car ... if they are ramming they will not be able to make the corner without hitting the car in front. I was thinking of full car damage. Don't let the rammer continue after extreme damage to their car. Same goes for being punted ... I'm ok if it completely takes me out of the race if it removes the rammer too ... my race is down in 10th is done anyway.

Last edited:
Reads like ghosting.

If I get punted now I simply punt back and have a good laugh. It is just a game and I don't really care if I win or lose. I just want to have a bit of fun.

If it gets a bit much I join a different lobby.

Honestly, it was better when we had the vigilante justice system. At least you knew if you punted someone, you’d have a target on your back for the rest of the race. So people were often overly apologetic when contact was made.

Just that now most people lose their minds with the slightest contact and look to take revenge which is worse.

SR.E and DR.D already have ghosting in place to stop punts and sideways ramming. The only thing that's missing is giving the car that needs to be ghosted a penalty for reckless driving. PD simply can't see a working solution when it's already all there and rather have chaos in SR.S.

Reads like ghosting.

If I get punted now I simply punt back and have a good laugh. It is just a game and I don't really care if I win or lose. I just want to have a bit of fun.

If it gets a bit much I join a different lobby.
Hardly the attitude to take, it’s the kind of behaviour that makes a race go bad. You might get punted off by a car but did you see the events that led up to it? No because you were looking ahead. Maybe the other guy got punted into you?
Taking revenge is totally stupid and ruins a race. Do not assume all contact is deliberate, accidents just happen sometimes.

Hardly the attitude to take, it’s the kind of behaviour that makes a race go bad. You might get punted off by a car but did you see the events that led up to it? No because you were looking ahead. Maybe the other guy got punted into you?
Taking revenge is totally stupid and ruins a race. Do not assume all contact is deliberate, accidents just happen sometimes.

I've been playing this game long enough to know whats deliberate, whats a clumsy mistake and what is simply ineptitude.

Anyone noticed that whilst there is righteous indignation about the way the game has evolved, most of us us still hit the “Sport Mode” button in the hope that this is the race that sanity resumes?

I’m still waiting. Yet I continue to hit the button.

Maybe we should all just meet up in the Lobby and create our own races? Or is that too simple?

Anyone noticed that whilst there is righteous indignation about the way the game has evolved, most of us us still hit the “Sport Mode” button in the hope that this is the race that sanity resumes?

Maybe we should all just meet up in the Lobby and create our own races? Or is that too simple?

Way too simple and makes too much sense. Not to mention that they put crack in the Sports mode races, so...

I can't find the button that puts me in a lobby with 15 or 19 other drivers where the race starts at a predetermined time. Lobby racing tends to be more glitchy and laggy as well. It's fun now and then, but then you have prepared for days for an endurance race with people you trust only to either not be able to enter the room, end up getting stuck in the pit or doing loops in auto drive at race start or don't see some of the people during the race. Even when it all works, lag can still screw things up or you can't enter the pit...

I've been playing this game long enough to know whats deliberate, whats a clumsy mistake and what is simply ineptitude.
I’ve seen drivers talking revenge and ruining the race for others around them too. It’s not just you and the other guys race.

Weirdly I actually encounter worse stuff in iRacing sometimes than I do in GT Sport.

Also, if you start playing the "long-game" in races (especially Race B, Race C and FIA races), you'll notice things starting to approve simply because you're approaching races in a more sensible way.

For example, last weekend I was in the Nations Cup race at Brands Hatch, quali'd 2nd, 1st place gets punted off by the guy who was in 3rd so the first few laps I sit behind for a while and fake a few moves to see how they react. It's very clear that they will opt to punt and ram to keep their lead so I sit behind and save fuel knowing I can easily gap him by staying out a couple of laps longer on the H tyres, then completely leave him behind on the M and S tyres winning by around 18seconds in the end.

If I took the approach that most people would typically take then I would only be facilitating and enabling their need to ram people off.

Cool idea.

Until someone misjudges a braking point.

Edit. Or, until you're running fresher/softer tyres than the guy in front.

Maybe punters/rammers could get a one time allowance per race for the sake of being non intentional contact and just get a small couple of seconds penalty.. but if they do it twice in one race they are auto teleported right into the pitts to sit out a 1 lap penalty and put them right at the back when the race is finished ;)

Extreme penalties will make safer drivers imo 👍

Online racing is the best thing that’s ever happened to GT, that is definitely not the answer.
Another answer is this "Ghosting" ok some players don't like it and that is there opinion on that which is fine, but Ghosting will fix up punting/ramming for good in a race.
I would like to do the Daily Races with other players but it is not worth it, when there are stupid players that want to destroy your race. Players want to enjoy online racing with other player but it is not happening in Sport Mode daily races, and they have to look else where like lobby racing with friends for safe racing until there is a better way.

You are never going to get real life racing in a computer game, Ghosting is the only way for clean Racing in daily races.

Another answer is this "Ghosting" ok some players don't like it and that is there opinion on that which is fine, but Ghosting will fix up punting/ramming for good in a race.

No it won't. Ghosting is triggered when cars are at oblique angles so ramming will still be an option for some people. Quick matches used to have heavy ghosting and it could also be triggered deliberately to help you pass a car in front. It also turned a lot of corners into a muddy mess with 2 or 3 cars semi transparent and as long as they stay close after the corner, they remained ghosted all the way to the next corner. Seriously ugly to see.

Contact and the threat of it (accidental or otherwise) adds to the drama of racing and nobody can avoid it all of the time. Sooner or later, you get immune to hurt feelings from a punt and learn to just get on with it.

Back