How to pass a dirty driver with style

• Thread starter dabz343
  • 28 comments
I've been using this technique with much success.

Sometimes it feels better than winning...

Nicely done 👍 He was actually within the rules until the Hairpin, but after that, he was completely out of line. Nice work getting the inside, and giving him a nice little wheel tap at the critical moment to induce understeer. That’s how you pass a dirty driver, and ensure that they can come back at you in the very next corner.

There are people who will bump you on the racetrack. We are the ones, who bump back ;) :P :lol:

How the heck did you end up in the same race with him. Looking at his KP stats versus your 55K/99 matchmaking is really broken! He hasn't logged a single day above SR 50 since he got the game.

Nice work getting the inside, and giving him a nice little wheel tap at the critical moment to induce understeer.

The wheel tap at 1.38 was just me holding my line while he proceeded to run me off. I recognized his intent to swipe right, so I steered slightly into him at that precise moment. Must have been good timing as I retained stability and received no penalty. PD's penalty system got it right! But maybe just luck...

Fight to hold your ground fellas.

How the heck did you end up in the same race with him. Looking at his KP stats versus your 55K/99 matchmaking is really broken! He hasn't logged a single day above SR 50 since he got the game.

Lobby race, no fun with the Dailies atm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wheel tap at 1.38 was just me holding my line while he proceeded to run me off. I recognized his intent to swipe right, so I steered slightly into him at that precise moment. Must have been good timing as I retained stability and received no penalty. PD's penalty system got it right! But maybe just luck...

Fight to hold your ground fellas.

Yeah, I might be pretty unlucky... I almost always get penalties when the stupid guy in front of me starts smashing into me in the middle of the straight.

Yeah, I might be pretty unlucky... I almost always get penalties when the stupid guy in front of me starts smashing into me in the middle of the straight.

I think the key is to let the other guy turn into your first, and just before he arrives, steer into him enough to absorb his momentum...takes a little practice and doesn't always work, but better than getting pushed around.

Had a guy like this in the last daily races (s660 race at tsukuba). I'd make my run out of the first corner get a run and he'd start to move over so I backed off (the first time), thought this was going to be interesting getting past. So this happens for a couple of laps till I just go for broke on the second to last corner...get a great run and he started to move over, no fear I've had enough by this stage. I keep my line and he keeps on rubbing me. But I make the move and gap him. Now the funniest thing was we were racing for last place...

I think the key is to let the other guy turn into your first, and just before he arrives, steer into him enough to absorb his momentum...takes a little practice and doesn't always work, but better than getting pushed around.

Yes, that's a good description of the technique. The move into him has to be a quick tap though so that there's no directional input from you at the moment of impact. Whoever is actively entering a turning input (into the other car) at the moment of contact, tends to get the penalty.

Great job dealing with that trashy idiot and baiting him to weave block off of his racing line so that he was out of position at the next corner.

I know many people like lobby racing but this sort of "clean when I'm winning and dirty when I'm not" is typical of what I see when I enter lobbies. It's then made double worse when the offender is the one running the lobby and they then proceed to accuse you of being the dirty driver. Ultimately, when people are a hair's width from winning or losing they tend to think, "It's just a lobby anyways" and ram you.

Yes, that's a good description of the technique. The move into him has to be a quick tap though so that there's no directional input from you at the moment of impact. Whoever is actively entering a turning input (into the other car) at the moment of contact, tends to get the penalty.

I am tired of clean drivers that respect good racing becoming victims. It's a plague running wild through GTS, hope this technique provides a way to defend against the less evolved.

I had a similar situation last night in the race C daily. Up from the schumacher s' all the way down the back straight just before the chicane the guy infront was weaving side to side whenever I was away to begin passing him.

Tricked him just before the hairpin for the last corner and took the inside line as he swung out to the left. He then tried to turn in to me and ended up nearly going in the grass as he bounced off me. All for 5th place....

I dunno if its just me but I feel PD need to add more levels to SR to weed out people like this - its far too easy to ruin peoples races and then quickly build your SR back up as if nothing happened.

I dunno if its just me but I feel PD need to add more levels to SR to weed out people like this - its far too easy to ruin peoples races and then quickly build your SR back up as if nothing happened.

While we wait for PD to refocus on the SR issue, give the dirty guys a fight. Let them know you're not going to be pushed around.

I dont get it, if you ask the guy what his problem is and why he tried to ram you during a pass they will say "it's just a game".
If it's just a game let the guy who made a great move past you by cleanly because "it's just a game"

It's true. If "it's just a game" then why are these sore losers spazzing like children having a tantrum whenever they are losing? It's like someone screaming at you to calm down.

I dont get it, if you ask the guy what his problem is and why he tried to ram you during a pass they will say "it's just a game".
If it's just a game let the guy who made a great move past you by cleanly because "it's just a game"

Or blocking on the second lap

It's true. If "it's just a game" then why are these sore losers spazzing like children having a tantrum whenever they are losing? It's like someone screaming at you to calm down.

And if you are a dirty driver ready to check yourself into rehab, start by knowing the difference between Defending vs Blocking. Great insights in this vid.

I suspected there were others who knew how to deal with dirty drivers. Way to stay focused and poised.
The funny thing when people bump you like that...it’s like ok, you bumped me...but I’m still here mother 🤬 I didn’t just vanish :dunce:

I feel like I’m starting to get the penalties for contact pretty figured out, and they actually seem pretty good. Yes, I’ve still have a few that I don’t understand (namely people missing the brakes behind me, side swiping me in the braking zone, and I get a penalty for it), but for the most part, I feel like I can control the penalties.

The main thing I’ve figured out is that if you can get your car to a spot first, if the other person has steering angle towards you when the contact happens, either no one gets a penalty, or they do.

If contact happens, keep your wheels straight or pointed away from the contact. If you steer into the contact, you’re likely to get a penalty.

Side by side contact seems ok, as long as both cars remain on the circuit. I had a number of moments of contact at the NGK Chicane, just wheel rubbing - but as long as both cars stayed on the circuit, no one got a penalty.

And with dirty drivers, always remember, their racecraft is usually garbage (hence the dirty driving), so you can out fox these people a lot of the time.

And with dirty drivers, always remember, their racecraft is usually garbage (hence the dirty driving), so you can out fox these people a lot of the time.

So I'm getting better at passing dirty drivers, but still have ways to go in defending against them...Divebombing is somewhat controllable by keeping an inside line, but they always lean on my rear mid corner, or simply punt.

So I'm getting better at passing dirty drivers, but still have ways to go in defending against them...Divebombing is somewhat controllable by keeping an inside line, but they always lean on my rear mid corner, or simply punt.
Some stuff is unavoidable :P

The punting, there’s not much you can do other than watch your mirrors and dodge out of the way, or use the brakes and brace for impact, then try to ride it out.

The taps on the rear quarter though, those you can work with sometimes. I call it “The Can Opener” :lol: If someone is bumping you on the rear quarter panel, I’ve found the best thing to do is open the lock on the steering wheel, and use the bumps to maintain your speed. Sometimes they’ll manage to get by, but them getting by while you maintain control of your car is more important than trying to fight the bumps and then spinning. If you can stay in control, at least you have a shot to fight back in the next corner.

In my video with the mustang, my drifting experience definitely saved me when the TT tried to spin me exiting T2.

I actually just commented about stuff like this in another thread. Personally I thought it was a bit to early in the race to be that defensive and I am all for defending position when its is reasonable. This to me looked like you had more speed than that player and he should have relented the position and figured out if he could get by or if you were just to much for them. He was all over the place trying to defend and it was hurting the lap times. The bumping is what drives me a little bit crazy. Rubbing is racing, bumping is BS.

Back