How to use the handbrake in races (non-drift)?

United States
United States
I have had this query with Gran Turismo since playing the very early games, and that is what exactly is the purpose of the handbrake for races (not drift events)? I don't believe there is an explanation or license test going through this?

When I have played other racing games, I have used the handbrake especially for hairpins or similarly tight turns to swing the car around quickly as oppose to slowing from the outside and taking the usual wide "racing line" approach. However in GT, whenever I use the handbrake the car seems to slow down dramatically, lose revs and not able to then accelerate smoothly out of the corner.

What am I doing wrong? Does the handbrake work better for racing if upgraded to the drift handbrake?

Not sure if this is still relevant but this older video sort of talks about what I mean:

And here is a real life racing example (yes it is from rally but they are driving on tarmac so still relevant):

The top video you referenced makes sense to me. Personally, I only use the handbrake to slip the rear when I've completely messed up a turn and am pushing very wide. I may end up drifting, not out of style but because it's the only way to save the corner.

I personally find left foot braking can be very useful to tighten turns, as opposed to handbrake. But remember you need to keep the gas on to avoid losing speed, and only a tiny dab of brake is usually required.

Try both types of brakes and see which you prefer in the tight turns.

Yeah I don't think the idea is to drift at all but to simply loosen up the rear wheels so that they swing around just enough to place the car in a position for it to accelerate out of the corner. This theoretically reduces the need to take the corner so wide. Not sure if this is a controller limitation, but whenever I've tried this I cannot maintain high enough revs to power out of the car like in a rally sim or even an NFS game. The car simply gets bogged down and it is like doing a standing start after the hairpin. Maybe it's just not possible in GT

I've had a few cars bog like that. I guess more power or tighter gearing could improve rear wheel torque which will allow you to pick up the revs again. And if in doubt keep the throttle floored, especially in a turbo car.

I find that the slightest flick of the handbrake is enough, literally I lightly thumb my button like I'm flicking some dust off the controller. One of the reasons I prefer left foot braking is the trigger button allows very fine application, like 10% of the brake bar indicator.

Back