Humanity's Greatest Minds

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 186 comments
6f58c02f9f57081d077c097b7d4eea46469cab8c.jpg

Edward Jenner

In 1796 Jenner wrote Inquiry into the Variolae vaccinae known as the Cow Pox, inventing the vaccine and effectively creating the field of immunology. At the time, smallpox was killing between 10 and 20 percent of the population (according to wikipedia). Jenner solved it with a vaccine, and created a wildly successful weapon against many viruses. Vaccinations of course are still the method of choice today (unless you're Jenny McCarthy).

Again, according to wikipedia, Jenner was not the first person to inoculate against small pox, or to invent the concept of inoculation. In Jenner's time, inoculation was very dangerous - because inoculated people would catch the disease from the inoculation and die from it. But Jenner's methodology by creating a safe inoculation and then testing the people who had been vaccinated and showing that they had immunity to the disease was the step that was needed to show that there was a safe and effective method to combat smallpox. Jenner is attributed with saving more lives than any other human being.
Rereading this thread reminds me of what was once said about Edward Jenner - that he, through his work in immunisation and vaccination, has saved more lives than any other single human being in history.

It's quite a thing to consider three years after covid started.

bob-ross.jpg

Bob Ross
1942-1995

Ok, Danoff has obviously lost it. What on earth is Bob Ross doing in this thread when he hasn't mentioned Michelangelo, or even a single ninja turtle for that matter. Rodin, Picasso, the guy with one ear, none of that stuff? You're going with Bob Ross Danoff? Bob Friggin Ross?

Well, Bob Ross was not the most talented artist who ever lived, and his was not the greatest art. He did not even invent the technique that he used to paint quickly, although I will say that he pioneered in that technique. I'm nominating Ross for this thread because I think he may have been the greatest art teacher that has ever lived. Lofty claim I know, and I have virtually nothing to back it up except for the throngs of people that he interested in painting and creating art.

According to Wikipedia, he enlisted in the Air Force where he learned to paint (in Alaska) and subsequently left the military because he wanted to remain mild mannered. His mild mannerism was perfect for his new career as an artist and teacher. So how did he encourage his students so well? There were a number of ways:

- He painted things people liked.

Art has so many different tastes, and so much of fine art is based on a deep connection between the observer and the piece itself. But a lot of fine art requires you to be willing to build that connection - so while a Jackson Pollock work may touch a lot of people, it's not for everyone. To inspire people to paint, you need to show them how to paint something they personally enjoy, and Bob Ross's art has a sort of universal appeal (not for everyone, but for a huge group) because it taps into an ingrained human love of nature.

- He taught and even encouraged mistakes

Happy little accidents is not just something you can expand into a life philosophy, it's also a great technique for teaching - because making a mistake in a painting is a huge barrier for a lot of people getting interested in art. Ross would use this technique where he quickly painted an unbelievable mountainside (in just a few strokes), and then he would take a brush full of Vandyke Brown or Dark Sienna and just smear a poop stain right through the middle of the mountain. I have to imagine so many of his viewers, like myself, were transfixed with mouths hanging watching him do this to his painting. But he would turn it into something amazing that would actually improve the painting... every... single... time. It wasn't just entertaining, it was showing you how to take a poop stain on your own masterpiece and turn it into something even more incredible.

- He used easy techniques

He would literally just bat a brush on the canvas to achieve remarkable detail. You didn't have to master your detail crafting over a lifetime, you could just smoosh your paintbrush into the canvas and boom, tons of little happy accident leaves on your trees. This is extremely encouraging to the beginner painter, who is otherwise daunted by the amount of practice and mastery required to create detail or intent on the canvas.

- He made it fun

His shows were seriously entertaining, and his entire style was an homage to painting. He practically embodied a love of painting. I challenge any of you to watch one episode and not come away thinking that art is fun.

- He made it fast

Paint, especially a realistic scene, is one of those artistic endeavors that requires a lot of time waiting for paint to dry before you add another layer. Bob would do an entire painting within the span of a television show. Fast is also accessible, especially for people for whom painting is not their life's work.

- He did it live

The idea that so many of his works of art were recorded live on television is somewhat absurd. The confidence he showed by literally painting an entire scene start-to-finish in the span of a single episode is somewhat astounding. Whatever happened, wherever the brush went, he just went with it. You have to imagine that many of the great artists have destroyed quite a few works. Ross would just roll with everything right in front of you. It is mind boggling talent, of course, but it also creates a feel that makes artwork accessible to the student. Because your time is not going to be wasted if something goes wrong, and you're not striving for your own mental perfection. You're letting the artwork flow as it will, and just flowing with it.

I'm sure there are many more ways that he was a great teacher. These are just some of the ways that jumped out at me.

Bob_Ross_2_dfdef1eb-c1be-4877-b574-1d7dbfad4ac3.jpg

I recall years ago after noticing my wife watching him quite a few times asking who the hell is this guy and why are you watching it?

She simply replied just sit and watch it, I did and totally agree with everything you say.

I like art (the end product at least) and he opened my eyes to how it can be achieved.
Still to this day if I'm bored and flicking through the TV and one of his re-runs pops up on screen I'll watch it.

Mentioned earlier in this thread by @SestoScudo

Ismail-al-jazari-tirto.id_ratio-16x9.JPG

Ismail al-Jazari
1136–1206

Invented the camshaft, segmental gear, flushing/refilling toilet, and various automated machines like a drink serving machine and automatic 4-piece band. He also invented just a ton of water pumps and water transportation devices leading to the earliest water delivery system to be driven by gears and hydropower.

In the 12th century this guy invented a bunch of technology that is currently still in use. Insanely far ahead of his time.

Last edited:
Mentioned earlier in this thread by @SestoScudo

Ismail-al-jazari-tirto.id_ratio-16x9.JPG

Ismail al-Jazari
1136–1206

Invented the camshaft, segmental gear, flushing/refilling toilet, and various automated machines like a drink serving machine and automatic 4-piece band. He also invented just a ton of water pumps and water transportation devices leading to the earliest water delivery system to be driven by gears and hydropower.

In the 12th century this guy invented a bunch of technology that is currently still in use. Insanely far ahead of his time.
This man was so ahead of his time that Turks, Arabs and Kurds are all fighting over him just to fit their modern nationalist standards 😆

Just like how Serbs and Croats are fighting over Nikola Tesla.

You would believe these two men would actually believe people would be inspired even try to be like them and even try to surpass them but instead it becomes a discussion about where they are from.

In the Islamic World lots of Scientists especially in the Golden Age hailed from Arab, Turkic, Persian, Kurdish and Berber backgrounds. There were a few Greeks too.

Find it pointless how people of today fight over their identity when at the time modern day nationalism and the nation state did not exist.

Last edited:
From the list of people who are (mostly) still alive but have still made an important impact on their fields of endeavour I'd like to humbly propose the following four musicians and one videogame designer. I'm just going to nick the information and photos from Wikipedia if it's okay. I feel they're not just very good at what they do or did but that their work is sufficiently groundbreaking as to significantly influence everyone who came after them (perhaps Wonder not so much, so I guess his inclusion here is a mark of my overwhelming personal preference for his music over that of his contemporaries).

800px-James_Brown_Live_Hamburg_1973_1702730029.jpg

James Joseph Brown (May 3, 1933 – December 25, 2006) was an American musician. The central progenitor of funk music and a major figure of 20th-century music, he is referred to by various honorific nicknames, some of which include "the Hardest-Working Man in Show Business", "Godfather of Soul", "Mr. Dynamite", and "Soul Brother No. 1". In a career that lasted more than 50 years, he influenced the development of several music genres. Brown was one of the first 10 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at its inaugural induction in New York on January 23, 1986.

440px-Bob_Dylan_-_Azkena_Rock_Festival_2010_2.jpg

Bob Dylan (legally Robert Dylan; born Robert Allen Zimmerman, May 24, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter. Generally regarded as one of the greatest songwriters ever, Dylan has been a major figure in popular culture over his 60 year career. Much of his most celebrated work dates from the 1960s, when songs such as "Blowin' in the Wind" (1963) and "The Times They Are a-Changin'" (1964) became anthems for the civil rights and antiwar movements. His lyrics during this period incorporated political, social, philosophical, and literary influences, defying pop music conventions and appealing to the burgeoning counterculture.

Stevie_Wonder_1994.jpg

Stevland Hardaway Morris (né Judkins; May 13, 1950), known professionally as Stevie Wonder, is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and record producer. He is credited as a pioneer and influence by musicians across a range of genres that include R&B, pop, soul, gospel, funk, and jazz. A virtual one-man band, Wonder's use of synthesizers and other electronic musical instruments during the 1970s reshaped the conventions of contemporary R&B. He also helped drive such genres into the album era, crafting his LPs as cohesive and consistent, in addition to socially conscious statements with complex compositions. Blind since shortly after his birth, Wonder was a child prodigy who signed with Motown's Tamla label at the age of 11, where he was given the professional name Little Stevie Wonder.

Wonder's single "Fingertips" was a No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1963, at the age of 13, making him the youngest artist ever to top the chart. Wonder's critical success was at its peak in the 1970s. His "classic period" began in 1972 with the releases of Music of My Mind and Talking Book, the latter featuring "Superstition", which is one of the most distinctive and famous examples of the sound of the Hohner Clavinet keyboard. His works Innervisions (1973), Fulfillingness' First Finale (1974) and Songs in the Key of Life (1976) all won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year, making him the tied-record holder for the most Album of the Year wins, with three. He is also the only artist to have won the award with three consecutive album releases. Wonder began his "commercial period" in the 1980s; he achieved his biggest hits and highest level of fame, had increased album sales, charity participation, high-profile collaborations (including Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson), political impact, and television appearances. Wonder has continued to remain active in music and political causes.

David-Bowie_Chicago_2002-08-08_photoby_Adam-Bielawski-cropped.jpg

David Robert Jones (8 January 1947 – 10 January 2016), known professionally as David Bowie, was an English singer, songwriter, musician, and actor. A leading figure in the music industry, he is regarded as one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Bowie was acclaimed by critics and musicians, particularly for his innovative work during the 1970s. His career was marked by reinvention and visual presentation, and his music and stagecraft had a significant impact on popular music.

Shigeru_Miyamoto_20150610_(cropped).jpg

Shigeru Miyamoto (Japanese: 宮本 茂, Hepburn: Miyamoto Shigeru, born November 16, 1952) is a Japanese video game designer, producer and game director at Nintendo, where he serves as one of its representative directors as an executive since 2002. Widely regarded as one of the most accomplished and influential designers in the history of video games, he is the creator of some of the most acclaimed and best-selling game franchises of all time, including Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox and Pikmin.

Born in Sonobe, Kyoto, Miyamoto graduated from Kanazawa Municipal College of Industrial Arts. He originally sought a career as a manga artist, until developing an interest in video games. With the help of his father, he joined Nintendo in 1977 after impressing then-president Hiroshi Yamauchi with his toys. He helped create art for the arcade game Sheriff, and was later tasked with designing a new arcade game, leading to the 1981 game Donkey Kong.

Miyamoto's platform game Super Mario Bros. (1985) and the action-adventure game The Legend of Zelda (1986) helped the Nintendo Entertainment System dominate the console game market. His games have been flagships of every Nintendo video game console, from the arcade machines of the late 1970s to the present day. He managed Nintendo's Entertainment Analysis & Development software division, which developed many Nintendo games, and he played an important role in the creation of other influential games such as Pokémon Red and Blue and Metroid Prime. Following the death of Nintendo president Satoru Iwata in July 2015, Miyamoto became acting president alongside Genyo Takeda until he was formally appointed "Creative Fellow" a few months later.

Last edited:
Hippocratus-father-of-western-medicine.png

Hippocrates
~400 BCE

The father of medicine. From his wikipedia article "Hippocrates is credited as the first person to believe that diseases were caused naturally, not because of superstition and gods". That's a huge undertaking and achievement of our species. This single understanding spawned the entire field of medicine, and framed all of the research in the field. I can't imagine how many lives he could be credit with saving. He was wrong about lots, of course. Everyone in this thread has been. But he was the first to get some very fundamental notions correct - such as the notion that a sacrifice to the gods was not helping cure disease.

Here are some of his accomplishments as listed by wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocrates
Hippocrates and his followers were first to describe many diseases and medical conditions.[43] He is given credit for the first description of clubbing of the fingers, an important diagnostic sign in chronic lung disease, lung cancer and cyanotic heart disease. For this reason, clubbed fingers are sometimes referred to as "Hippocratic fingers".[44] Hippocrates was also the first physician to describe Hippocratic face in Prognosis. Shakespeare famously alludes to this description when writing of Falstaff's death in Act II, Scene iii. of Henry V.[45][46]

Hippocrates began to categorize illnesses as acute, chronic, endemic and epidemic, and use terms such as, "exacerbation, relapse, resolution, crisis, paroxysm, peak, and convalescence."[36][47] Another of Hippocrates' major contributions may be found in his descriptions of the symptomatology, physical findings, surgical treatment and prognosis of thoracic empyema, i.e. suppuration of the lining of the chest cavity. His teachings remain relevant to present-day students of pulmonary medicine and surgery.[48] Hippocrates was the first documented chest surgeon and his findings and techniques, while crude, such as the use of lead pipes to drain chest wall abscess, are still valid.[48]

The Hippocratic school of medicine described well the ailments of the human rectum and the treatment thereof, despite the school's poor theory of medicine. Hemorrhoids, for instance, though believed to be caused by an excess of bile and phlegm, were treated by Hippocratic physicians in relatively advanced ways.[49][50] Cautery and excision are described in the Hippocratic Corpus, in addition to the preferred methods: ligating the hemorrhoids and drying them with a hot iron. Other treatments such as applying various salves are suggested as well.[51][52] Today, "treatment [for hemorrhoids] still includes burning, strangling, and excising."[49] Also, some of the fundamental concepts of proctoscopy outlined in the Corpus are still in use.[49][50] For example, the uses of the rectal speculum, a common medical device, are discussed in the Hippocratic Corpus.[50] This constitutes the earliest recorded reference to endoscopy.[53][54] Hippocrates often used lifestyle modifications such as diet and exercise to treat diseases such as diabetes, what is today called lifestyle medicine.

Back