Hyperlinking - open in same window?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 29 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Any way to make the hyperlinks open in the same browser window? In my new racing series thread I have links at the top of the first post to be used as shortcuts. These link to posts #2, 3, 4 and 5. When you click the link, it opens in a new window. I would rather have it just direct them down the page to the appropriate post.

Any way to do this?

I believe this isn't something you can control from your browser, the forum settings have to be edited in order to change this. Personally, I like it that links open in different windows. Most forums behave like this, most likely because it's the default option.

I dunno what browser you're using, but usually if you right-click on the link it gives you the option to open in a new tab. That might work...

I dunno what browser you're using, but usually if you right-click on the link it gives you the option to open in a new tab. That might work...

On most modern mice if you "click" by pushing in the scroll wheel on a link it opens in a new tab.

He said he wants it to open on the same window not open a new one, basically just scroll down to that post when you click the link.

And that's a setting that Jordan used whn programming GTP. It's not something a user can change.

A quoted post link opens in the same window but I'm not sure if you could use that link instead of the post link.

MR has a solid suggestion here: I use the anchors feature for the Photomode FAQ thread as its very handy. This erases the need for us to use multiple posts at the beginning of threads, mostly; you will have one very, very long post to edit instead :)

Any way to make the hyperlinks open in the same browser window? In my new racing series thread I have links at the top of the first post to be used as shortcuts. These link to posts #2, 3, 4 and 5. When you click the link, it opens in a new window. I would rather have it just direct them down the page to the appropriate post.

Any way to do this?

You can change the way links open in Firefox to do exactly what you want, I'm not sure about other browsers. I tested it in your thread to be sure. 👍

I don't want to change any of my browser settings, I just want it to work here only. I don't care about anything else. The "jumpto" and "anchors" things should work, if I can figure out how to use them.

I don't want to change any of my browser settings, I just want it to work here only. I don't care about anything else. The "jumpto" and "anchors" things should work, if I can figure out how to use them.

Good luck, I think you will find that it won't work. I'm almost sure that browser settings will override those tags. (they do on mine, I tested it in the above-mentioned Photomode section FAQ thread.) So unless you, and everyone that clicks on the links, has the same browser settings, it won't behave the same for everyone.

If you haven't set your browser overrides, it won't, though - and I imagine most people haven't.

R1600 - I find the best way to get used to them is just quote them in use: peaking behind the curtain is pretty straight-forward, so just quote an example and it should make sense :)

As has been pointed out, there's no way to force normal links to open in the same window. This is the default behavior of our forum software, vBulletin.

To link to specific sections of a post, use the [anchor] and [jumpto] tags.

For example, if you want to be able to link directly to a section of a post, wrap some text on the page, like the section's title, in [anchor] tags, like this:

[anchor=races_section]Races[/anchor]​

You can then create a link that "jumps to" that section using the following code:

[jumpto=races_section]Jump to Races Section[/jumpto]​

It's even easier if you want to "jump to" an entire post on the page, because you don't have to create the anchor tags. To do this, right click on the post's number. It should give you a link that looks something like this:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6595563#post6595563​

Take that last section, 'post6595563', and use it in "jump to" tags, like this:

[jumpto=post6595563]Jump to Third Reply[/jumpto]​

Here's what that link would look like in action; it should take you to the [jumpto=post6595563]third reply in this thread[/jumpto]. Use these links with caution, as they will only work if the anchor/post that you're linking to appears on the same page as the link (remember, other users might be using a different post-per-page setting).

I assume that the "jumpto" function isn't available anymore. :grumpy:
Is it another way to achieve that desired action?
I mean, to open a link in the same window, at least, when the target is on the same page or thread?

It's not, no, this thread was before the forum software update in late 2013.

You can grab the URL of a post by clicking on the time stamp or the post #. If you link to it in a post and that post happens to be on the same page as the link, the browser will jump to it without re-loading the page.

Last edited:
It's not, no, this thread was before the forum software update in late 2013.

You can grab the URL of a post by clicking on the time stamp or the post #. If you link to it in a post and that post happens to be on the same page as the link, the browser will jump to it without re-loading the page.
Thank you for answering. :) 👍 But sadly it's not working for me. Even a link in the OP for the next post opens another window. :confused:

I just tried this on Google Chrome on my laptop and it opens a new window for a link to the very next post on the page.

Thank you for answering. :) 👍 But sadly it's not working for me. Even a link in the OP for the next post opens another window. :confused:
I just tried this on Google Chrome on my laptop and it opens a new window for a link to the very next post on the page.
That's not what happens for me in Chrome; it operates as I described above. Actually, I've been building websites for about 15 years now, and don't think I've ever seen a browser that opens named anchor links in a new window if they are on the same page. Something must be affecting the behavior of your browsers, either a setting or plugin.

It doesn't bother me that much, but this happens on all of my devices I have tried it on, using Chrome, Internet Explorer and even Safari on my iPod. I have looked at the settings on browsers and I could not find any settings that affect this. I wonder why we are getting different results then?

We are talking about the same thing, right? The time stamp displayed immediately above each post?

I've never seen that behavior in any version of IE or Mobile Safari.

From what you describe here, all of the links on the first page of my tuning garage should "jump to" the correct post but they do not, instead they open a new tab in my browser. It also is what @danbojte is describing here.

This is a test hyperlink within this thread.

Edit: Test above opened a new window. Process was copy link given from post number then insert in the hyperlink.

Oh, yes, we are talking about different things. My post above was incorrect. My mistake, running on a few hours of sleep over the past few days.

Back