I am Terrible at Dirt Races

  • Thread starter Thread starter SS_1182
  • 42 comments
  • 3,210 views
Messages
1,173
Messages
user27564
I have no idea how people have golded the Sebiastian Loeb races on their first try. Seems like if I drive carefully and feather the gas and brakes except for straights I just end up being DQ'd for a slow time (even by over 10 sec., lol). But if I try to push the car at all I have no control whatsoever. I find this type of race very frustrating. :boggled:
 
Same here... can ice really have far more grip than loose gravel?
 
I'd have to say I'm not a fan this time around. Then again I just need more than 5 minutes of it to actually learn it.
 
Only advice, turn off TC completely, and brake early.
 
Skid Recovery ON
TCS Off or 1

You will get gold by 5s+
 
Have you tried turning off TCS or anything else? I barely made bronze, and then when I turned off TCS completely, the car stopped slowing down.
 
Skid Recovery ON
TCS Off or 1

You will get gold by 5s+

Thank you for this little nugget of advice. 👍

I have to say I am complete nonsense at the dirt rally this time around but haven't thought about driving aids.

I'm off the give it a blast....
 
Watch the demo vids, see how slow some corners should be taken. It's ot all about just full speed drifting into corner.

On ice, short shift every time, too much power will just spin your wheels.

Go slow to go fast.
 
Just tried it with skid recovery on. It helped, but I'm still 7 seconds behind the bronze trophy.
 
Sebiastian Loeb races? I can't get within 15 seconds of Bronzing the Beginner Rally Special Event! I run the whole event with the accelerator on the floor and still can't make it!

Pete
 
Oh, and I already have TC off.

Another try. Braked early, took all corners well, 9 seconds off of the bronze.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sebiastian Loeb races? I can't get within 15 seconds of Bronzing the Beginner Rally Special Event! I run the whole event with the accelerator on the floor and still can't make it!

Pete

There's a difference between power sliding and drifting. If you pedal to the metal for the whole race, it sounds like you're losing a lot of speed in the corners. Like the commercial, accelerate at the apex through the corner.

Another try. Braked early, took all corners well, 9 seconds off of the bronze.
Are you sliding through any corners? If you are, try to straighten out the car as much as possible.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just barely bronzed the race just now. I think it's all about really memorizing the track and anticipating corners. I maybe could have cut off one or two seconds by taking a couple of corners a bit better, but I don't think I could get gold on this one.
 
This event was pretty frustrating to me, as I bronzed all of the 3 events and couldn't do any better. Then I went back and watched the "example" videos right before the start of the race. You'll find it if you scroll to the right. Make sure you watch how the computer takes corners and you will notice how quick you can be by doing so.

After I did this I achieved gold in all of the events. It takes some practice but just make very clean tight corners with all aids off and you will be fine. Also engine braking helps a lot when taking corners down gravel hills.
 
This challenge was ridiculously easy, i won by around 5 seconds, just take the traction control off is all you need.
 
This event was pretty frustrating to me, as I bronzed all of the 3 events and couldn't do any better. Then I went back and watched the "example" videos right before the start of the race. You'll find it if you scroll to the right. Make sure you watch how the computer takes corners and you will notice how quick you can be by doing so.

After I did this I achieved gold in all of the events. It takes some practice but just make very clean tight corners with all aids off and you will be fine. Also engine braking helps a lot when taking corners down gravel hills.



I'll check out the videos. Thanks. Just lost the snow race by 0.21... :ouch:
 
Try to keep up with the ghost and see what racing line he takes. It is possible to catch up to the ghost and actually pass it which I did on both Chamonix and Eiger to actually finish ahead of the ghost car.
 
I forget what assists I had on, I'm thinking it was just skid recovery and ABS on 1. I got gold on them all. :/ but on the Gran Turismo Rally I suck on the tarmac ones. But the snow one I was 30 seconds ahead. But yeah try using a few assists.
 
I watched the video, and I never do the drifting in the fast turns like the example does. That's really the problem.
 
Turn off all the aids, keep the corners tight (or more: don't drift out wide), don't go full throttle while cornering and especially in the snow set the torque distribution to 50-50.

With a bit more practice those golds should come within reach then 👍
 
I went from getting all golds on the licences to the Eiger track for this challenge and was somehow 2 seconds off the bronze after countless tries. I thought it was impossible to get gold and just a joke PD was playing. Well, impossible it may be for me.
 
I'm rubbish at rallying too, I always thought it was a bit rubbish even when I got better at it.
 
I went from getting all golds on the licences to the Eiger track for this challenge and was somehow 2 seconds off the bronze after countless tries. I thought it was impossible to get gold and just a joke PD was playing. Well, impossible it may be for me.

Gold is quite possible. Watch the example run (the ghost is actually how Loeb drove to set it and the example is the same car in replay mode) and you will see how Loeb did it. Then, take some notes on it and try and mimic how Loeb drove around the track. The golds will come eventually.
 
I have no idea how I just golded the snow race. I didn't drift. Oh well... lol.
 
Drifting corners wastes precious seconds. You want to slide through corners but not at a high angle so it is possible to keep a fast pace. Especially don't 'flick' around the hairpins because a lot of time is gained/lost on straighter sections of track.
 
traction control on 3 or 4 also helps. ABS on 3 works. ASM OFF. Skid recovery on.

Should be able to do the events easy. i tried with all the aids off and failed.

turned these on and golded instantly
 
I tried Chamonix 5 times and my best time was a good 5 seconds worse than Bronze. I'll try taking TCS off and see what happens.
 
I'll try taking TCS off and see what happens.
The car won't sit still trying to get traction when next to none exists on dirt/snow/gravel anyway.
 
Back