I am pretty bad at this as well. I can't even bronze the rally event at all and I think I would suck at the Sebastian Loeb challenge as well I turned off traction and still not even close
I ran it on two different gamertags. Was odd at first cause one the first one I fell short of bronze on the second I got Gold on the first try. So I went back to the first one and tryed it again and again failed to get bronze on 3 attempts. Looked at my settings and then loaded the other one and looked only thing different was skid recovery somehow got turned on on the second profile. So then I thought well while I am here let me try the snow. I managed to catch and pass the ghost car and got Gold with 7 seconds to spare.
Apparently skid recovery makes a big difference here.
btw my TCs was at the default 5 and abs=1 manual woth everything else off.
For me the difference came when I started using a different driving view. I typically use the over the car view. For dirt or snow, I use the top of the car view. I tended to over-correct when I saw the fishtail and didn't drive the nose of the car.
That plus the tips here pushed me over the top...and I was absolutely terrible before.
So thank you to the ones who offered the info on which assists to use and not.
I just got all gold for the Loeb challenge earlier tonight.
I went with TCS off and skid recovery on.
Basically break early and softly, feather the throttle during corners and just be aware of when you need to counter steer. On longer corners I would gently left foot brake whenever I thought I might be starting to drift wide off-line.
Don't hot lap it. Smoothly go through the events.
I was always terrible with the rally stuff in previous games. I'd always been more a track player. But after doing the rally events I'm liking it more and more. There's just something cool about holding a slide lol.
Slower is definitely faster. Part of the problem however is that the Eiger and Chamonix are quite long tracks and take a while to memorise sufficiently.
Sebiastian Loeb races? I can't get within 15 seconds of Bronzing the Beginner Rally Special Event! I run the whole event with the accelerator on the floor and still can't make it!
What car are you using for the Rally Event? I really struggled at first too, I tuned a focus RS to 244HP (1 under the 245HP limit!) and I still couldn't win, Went and bought the Lanica Integrale, it helped a lot. You should really make sure you have a 4WD car for them.
Definitely TC off I find with it on the car is too unpredictable sliding round the corners. I also find that when cornering because I can't feel any grip I hesitate at getting back on the power but as soon as I do the grip increases, almost like you have to power round instead of waiting for the car to feel totally settled.
Gold at my first attempt (with this new set-up). You guys are geniuses 👍
edit: 3 golds on Sébastian Loeb's Rally Challenge. That was actually remarkably easy after following the advice on this thread. I was convinced I was going to struggle to bronze in those [eventually] and then just leave it.
I found an Escort Rally car and snapped it up.
Had been pants at rally - many seconds from bronze, until I read on here :both settings and slow = quick.
As soon as I stopped attacking corners and trying to drift, loosing time, I`ve golded intermediate with minutes spare, all aids off.
Now looking fwd to the harder stage.
What I found key (with all aids off) was to let the car "drive" around the corner. I would brake early "when the gear indicator flashes", and start the car sliding early in the turn. Get on the gas but do not input any steering corrections as you pass the apex start to counter steer to get your forward momentium back. You have to remember this is a "sim" so traction is lost when you are trying to do more that one thing at a time. i.e. turning and braking or turning and acclerating. I found the car reponded better in turns the less steering inputs I had. Maybe it is just personal driving style but that is what helped me.