I Didnt Know What I was Getting Myself Into

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chavways
  • 47 comments
  • 4,750 views
Messages
14
Messages
Chavways
I decided last week that I would do the Le Mans 24 hour A-Spec race.I chose the Toyota Gt1 to have at least a bit of competition. Im currently 10 hours in and really struggling to keep going.Its just so boring.Even though my car isnt very fast I'm still lapping 7 or 8 seconds faster than the other cars.

Im asking for advice on something that could keep me entertained while doing it. How did others manage to keep motivated during the race.Even though Im spacing the race out over a couple of days I still dread coming back to it because I know I still have so many hours left to do.
 
Just keep thinking of that goal, saying you done a 24hour race. Just remember, that not many people have the bottle to actually do these events.
 
That's a tough one. Now, I'm kind of in the same situation, except that I haven't started the race yet :D
--

What I am thinking is that I either choose the X2010 and just park half the race - or if I should use a car that is worse than LMPs to get a close race, but still be able to "cheat" if I am in need of it (doubt it though).
--

I could imagine in your situation it's very hard to keep going, as that's one of the things I've been concerned about too. My only suggestion could be hotlapping, but it seems kind of lame with 14 hours to go, and if you have already cut the track in some of the previous laps it can be diffficult to keep track of.
 
Did you lap them yet?

Ya I've lapped them 4 times.I lap them around every 30 laps. I thought that the GT1 would keep the race competitive but it doesnt seem that way.
 
get yourself down about20 laps and then drive like a mad man
 
If you've lapped them 4-5 times already try spinning them out or causing them to crash, ie: PITT, tailgate, use them as a brake, etc.

Basically be an 🤬 hole.

Can't be bothered to do endurance races in GT5 and I don't know why, yet I drool when it comes to the endurace races in Forza 3. Just WTF lol.
 
I used the 787B for the 24 hour race. It was a blast driving that piece of master engineering ;)

Basicly, race 6-10 laps then take 5-10 mins break then 6-10 more laps etc... That's what I did.. It got boring, but not until like the 19th-20th hour.

Must have been the car ;) Gonna do it again, when/IF endurance saves gets their way into GT5.
 
To get through such an event, I put the Radio on, and payed my brother to do half of it...
 
To get through such an event, I put the Radio on, and payed my brother to do half of it...

I would do that but I gave him the controller for 2 laps and he was doing laps in just under 5 minutes and I couldnt be having that.
 
I would do that but I gave him the controller for 2 laps and he was doing laps in just under 5 minutes and I couldnt be having that.

My brother is like 8 or something. He was surprisingly very good.
 
I did the 4hr Nurb and my goal was the same. Make it competitive. As always is with A spec that didn't happen. I turned the map to full view and decided to make the race about lapping everyone. I'd put one car in my sights and try and guess when I'd catch him. Once down I'd go for the next one. It was hard to sit there hour after hour but it gave me something to do while I "ground" out the event. Good luck with it. I've got a couple weeks before I have to get into that one.
 
12 hours and 198 laps done.There is a chink of light at the end of the tunnel. I've been resorting to listening to loads of podcasts and drinking lots of Coke. I'm 5 laps ahead,its pitch dark and I'm averaging 3.25 minute laps.
 
This is exactly why I haven't done any enduros longer than 4 hours. I do plan to do the Suzuka 1000 but I'll need to take breaks cause I'm just not able to maintain focus for more than 2 hours of an enduro.

But that may have something to do with my ADD. So anyway, what were we talking about...?
 
I sat thru the 24Hr Le Mans in one sitting because I used a tuned Corvette Z06RM, needed to focus for all of it as it rained for about 13 hours of the race...I'm planning on doing it again but will be most likely doing 'stints' with my brother to finish it.
 
This is what i am afraid of, and the reason i have been waiting for the save, but now that my holidays are on, i have given up on waiting, and have to do it. Im trying to get a mate over to do it with me, but even he says it will be boring and stupid.

Anyway, the best way to go, i reckon, is turning off all aids and going manual(including abs -0) and go cockpit view. Thats what i am planning to do, with an r10, because it has a cool cockpit view. That way, you have to concentrate the whole race.
 
Just keep thinking of that goal, saying you done a 24hour race. Just remember, that not many people have the bottle to actually do these events.

Test Drive Lemans on Dreamcast released 10 years ago had a 24 hour race that I did, it had mid-rave saves.
 
Test Drive Lemans on Dreamcast released 10 years ago had a 24 hour race that I did, it had mid-rave saves.
Weren't mid race saves added with the last update? or was that just for series races?
Would be good it you could "save game" when you pit....
 
^Championship races not endurance races.
 
I decided last week that I would do the Le Mans 24 hour A-Spec race.

Im asking for advice on something that could keep me entertained while doing it.

The folks at PD assume that we all are this guy:
20080625-pkqd22y7wtrefbu2nycwcputuy.preview.jpg


Thusly, with absolutely no lives or responsibilities of any kind and because we sit in front of our PS3s for literally days at a time without ever taking a nap, interacting with other people, going to work, feeding the dog, using the toilet, bathing, or anything else at all, it's perfectly reasonable for us to leave the game running through an entire 24-hour endurance race, with no need or desire to step away from the game and resume later.

If, however, you happen to not be that guy, to accomplish your enormous task (which real-world endurance drivers don't even face), I reckon you can help amuse yourself and pass the ridiculous time by phoning up our old buddy Ted Kaczynski, and ask him to periodically mail presents to Polyphony Digital. Just ring him up every couple hours and ask him to send another gift. Fortunately for both of you, there's no daily limit to how many presents uncle Ted can send, so you can always get through by anticipating that next present.

(Alright, obviously I'm not really advocating mailing TK gifts, so.... Just throwing that disclaimer out there.)
 
^ best episode of south park ever.

"We will level up by killing boars. Over 4 million, boars."
 
Definitely need that disclaimer Iceman! :)
 
before entering an endurance event, check the typical opponents lists at the menu before entering the race, and go from there. thats what im doing with the 24 hours of le mans. im driving the peugeot 908 only with racing/soft tyres on all 4 corners as an "advantage" against the AI, an ive only manage to lap the 2nd place AI (which happens to be an audi r10) by only 1 lap after 114 laps and almost 9 hours in. and im still driving as hard as i can because i have a hunch that is gonna rain later on in the track, and i want to keep my lead. another thing that helps is music. get rig on the music that comes with the game as racing bgm and switch it with DJ Tiesto or Dead Mouse. trust me when i say this, oncenight falls at the endurance race and you have that rave party going on as background music, it makes going WOT on la sarthe's back straight all that much sweeter. hope this helps. :)
 
Just get on YouTube and just listen to the Top Gear Radio Show Full Version. See, now 3 hours have passed!
 
To get through such an event, I put the Radio on, and payed my brother to do half of it...
When it comes to Forza, I just listen to my iPod on my stereo/dock. Music in Forza 3 just isn't as good as it was in Forza 2. Even the jazz in GT5 beats it...and it hate jazz.

I'm thinking of going for one of the 4 hour events since I'm at a neighbors house just about every night watching their dog. Might go for the Miata race since it's one of my favorite Japanese cars (I prefer European/Italian cars though).
 
Stop driving for a while until they're on the same lap as you. I completed it with the 787B. It was a lot of fun. In the mean time, go read a book or do something sporty.

Additionally you could get somebody else to race with you. That way you could have a competition to see who has a faster lap time. I did that too with my Dad and it was entertaining. We went on for 3 hours!

Good luck. Remember, after it's complete you'll get that satisfaction. ;)
 
Back