I dont even know where to start....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave_87
  • 35 comments
  • 3,113 views
Messages
27
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I bought GT6 about a month ago now, I even bought a PS3 to play it. All I can really say is how much of a disappointment it has been. Maybe I have been spoilt because I've been playing Forza since Forza 1 but even Forza 1 is better then GT6. The last GT I played was 4, and to me at the time it was just the best thing in the world ever. I got bored of F4 because I have played it pretty much every day since it first came out so thought I fancied something different. Ive heard from friends that Forza 5 is very arcade too, so wasn't interested in that and then one day I had a brief go of GT6 at friends recently and decided to purchase it for myself.

Now im not talking about Graphics or other things that don't add to the experience. I don't really care what a game looks like if it performs the way it should. Although I have to add the graphics on some of the cars are abysmal by todays standards, as if they have been taken straight from GT3, which just isn't acceptable for such a big budget game.

Ill make a short list now of what problems I have found with the game, this is just stuff off the top of my head, there's plenty more too.

- The engine noises are poor at best, and all cars sound the same with a 'race' exhaust fitted.

- The physics seem really inconsistent.

- The cars all handle wrong. I mean, have you tried the Ferrari f40?

- A lot of the technical data is wrong. Several cars I have owned are in this game and not only do they all handle completely differently, things like the rpm limits and power/torque graphs are all wrong. Trust me, a B5 S4 does not rev to 8000rpm. Then you have stuff like the gear ratio's all being wrong, like in the Mk3 Focus ST. How can a game that prides itself on being a game for 'racers' get things so epically wrong?

- Chassis tuning is either irrelevant or it doesn't work like it should. Ive given up and just use race hard/soft depending on car and track. I know how to set a car up, PD clearly doesn't.

- Performance tuning/upgrading etc is pretty basic and you cant define the characteristics of an engine, nor do they even seem to change in the first place.

- The engines have no characteristics. Try the BMW 120d. It should have a big kick between 2 and 4 thousand RPM then die off. Instead it behaves like every other car in the game, where you need to rev it more to make power and the power builds at higher revs. Also, fully upgrade this car and see what it revs to and have a good laugh as PD seems to have fitted super advanced injectors that can atomise diesel at high revs. Maybe they should let all the car manufacturers know about it?

- The PP system simply doesn't work.

- Claiming 'over 1200 cars' and then offering you 47 different types of the same car doesn't count as 'over 1200 cars'.

- As half the game is imported from GT4 most interiors are missing.

- The aerodynamics system is hugely flawed and inconsistent.

- The 'endurance' races are an utter shambles.

- There's a definite numbness between what you ask the car to do and when it does it. This seems to be even more obvious when driving a car with high aero effects. It means all accuracy is lost and with it goes consistency. Sometimes though, you can put race softs on, and the car becomes so twitchy its undriveable. Maybe its because i'm using a DS3 but if that's the case then surely that's even worse, effectively saying that if you don't have a wheel you shouldn't be able to play properly.


I will leave it at that although there's plenty more I could add but I would be going on and probably repeating things that others have said on here. Its just been a huge disappointment to me. Its like a childhood hero or something, then i've actually gotten to meet them and it turns out they weren't actually that awesome to begin with. Don't get me wrong, the game is still okay, it does have good points too, like a great selection of tracks, but it feels like a last, last gen PS2 game and not just a last gen ps3 game.

I'd just like to add that I'm not some kid just hating on the game because I prefer my beloved Xbox and Forza. I couldn't care less about the console and a game is just a game, there's plenty of others out there. I have a lot of experience with cars, I've been involved in a lot of circuit racing, drifting and even been a big part of the street racing/drifting scene for many years. I have a lot of experience with various cars, both driving, building and setting them up, and am a total utter geek when it comes to everything about cars. I live and breathe cars 24/7 so when a game pops up that offers to fulfil my sad little obsession and then doesn't deliver I can only be disappointed. I can make allowances for simple mistakes here and there, nobody is perfect after all, but this goes beyond mistakes.
 
Well written and spot on.

The main problem, as I see it, is that GT6 was never meant to be a PS3 title. It was probably a last minute executive decision from Sony to throw some half baked stuff on a disc and sort it out later.

Now it seems like all the competent developers are working full time on GT7 for the PS4. The updates since launch have mostly been crowd pleasing content rather than real development of what is, in my opinion, a stinking pile of garbage.

I hope I'm wrong but all signals indicate that GT6 has been more or less abandoned in the sense of competently developed updates.
 
Maybe its because i'm using a DS3 but if that's the case then surely that's even worse, effectively saying that if you don't have a wheel you shouldn't be able to play properly.

Well if you have access to all these expensive cars in real life, then surely getting a PS3 wheel and pedals should be small change for a someone such as yourself :-) I can tell you that the difference between a DS3 and a force feedback wheel is night and day. My wheel is a Driving-Force-Pro which I've had since my GT4 days.

I can also tell you whilst GT4 was good in its day, the handling, graphics and lighting on GT6 are vastly improved. And the sounds through my 5.1 pre-processor into a 250watts RMS per channel power amp, plus another 700watts RMS of subwooferage is an audio experience to behold :)
Also, in GT4 everything understeered. In GT6 I find that the cars now do what they are supposed to do. If they throttle understeer and lean during turns in real life (like my humble TT Mk1), then it's replicated here, and if they throttle oversteer and spin out like a BMW then they do that too in this game.

There is actually so much that is amazing about GT6, and to be honest, I don't really care what the rev-meter says, I just like the driving experience in GT6. And no other game in existence can compare with the experience of cruising at sunset (or sunrise) on the Nürburgring - on GT6.
 
I have played it at my friends with a wheel, and I know its a lot better, but I don't think you should be forced to have a worse experience just because you don't have a wheel. I don't really have the space for a wheel setup and whilst I could afford to buy one (don't get the idea that I'm rich or anything though), id much rather spend my money on my car instead.

I hope my post didn't come across as too negative. The game isn't a bad game, and its not missing content or anything its just that they seem to have paid more attention making sure they have some shiny new content rather than concentrate on the small details which to the real car fans are what matter. I will still be playing the game a lot until something else comes along, but I probably wont be interested in GT7...
 
All those are valid points, I don't know much about racing so I can't vouch for the specs, sound, and handling. And it would be nice if they made more premiums, made all the cool standards premium , and other stuff. Unfortunately GT is the best thing for me on PS, I stick with it because of nostalgic reasons, and the decent amount of content it has. Even without the standards, it has plenty more cars than the rest, and it just gives me a great feeling driving.

Unless some other awesome GT like racing game comes on PS, GT is king.
 
And yes I agree that a lot of the cars move around as you expect, but some are over exaggerated and some aren't even close to real life. I do appreciate that they have gotten a lot of things right, a LOT of things right, but they have got a lot wrong too and like I said in my first post, you don't mind a few mistakes here and there but when there is major error's then its just disappointing.
 
I have played it at my friends with a wheel, and I know its a lot better, but I don't think you should be forced to have a worse experience just because you don't have a wheel. I don't really have the space for a wheel setup and whilst I could afford to buy one (don't get the idea that I'm rich or anything though), id much rather spend my money on my car instead.

I hope my post didn't come across as too negative. The game isn't a bad game, and its not missing content or anything its just that they seem to have paid more attention making sure they have some shiny new content rather than concentrate on the small details which to the real car fans are what matter. I will still be playing the game a lot until something else comes along, but I probably wont be interested in GT7...

mate you're not "forced" to do anything, this game is a simulator (PC drivers enter condescending comment here) therefore its simply better with a wheel set up. Nothing more ,nothing less.

if i play with a controller these days i get bored in 1 lap, the experience transforms when it is played how it was intended.

it takes patience and persistence. the end result is pure driving pleasure.

just a point about the racing exhausts in your original post- keep testing there are some real gems in this game.
 
I don't understand why people get so disappointed with GT, it is the same type of game since its first day: a driving experience simulator.

Maybe you are right about some cars not matching perfectly as the real ones, i could only tell if i owned them, but the ones i know are pretty similar in stock form. It's not easy matching 1000+ cars, but yes, they pay less attention to some models, and that should be hurtful for the owners that want to experience them.

I play this game since the first generation, and for me it only gets better and better.

I use a DS3 and the same setup for more than 10 years: D-pad for steering, X and square for acell. and braking, L2/R2 for gears. I can drive everything with this, but i agree, some cars get pretty hard to drive without the finesse of a wheel and pedals, but i never felt the need for it.

I don't like racing tires, but that's ok for me, because i have much more fun driving road cars that want to kill me( ex:Ruf BTR).

The F40 is amazing, i only put comfort softs on it, turn off the TC and have a blast every time. It had a bug when you changed the wheels size, so don't do that.(maybe it's already fixed)

GT is very hard to drive comparing with the popular games, that for me are unrealistic and makes everyone looks like an amazing driver.

It's the only game that forms Real Life Drivers, and gives everyone the chance to dream about it.

So...maybe it's a matter of taste, or time? I am 26 years old and i am a petrolhead like yourself, there is nothing more mystical and passionate for me than racing, and i am really a purist when it comes to motorsport and cars. That is why i love this game, it pass me the sensation of real racing every time i play it. I mean, have you tested the Lotus 97T??

Your post is not negative, you are just expressing yourself. I hope you give it a little more time and get used to the physics. :)
 
It's the only game that forms Real Life Drivers, and gives everyone the chance to dream about it.



The game doesn't make them great drivers - it helps find people who are good in-game, and then they're sent to learn in the real world, often with a significant amount of real-world talent already in-hand.

GTAcademy is utterly brilliant marketing, but it's just that; marketing.
 


The game doesn't make them great drivers - it helps find people who are good in-game, and then they're sent to learn in the real world, often with a significant amount of real-world talent already in-hand.

GTAcademy is utterly brilliant marketing, but it's just that; marketing.


I didn't mean that it was the game that made them great drivers, of course not. But it gives a chance for the good driver that has no chances in real life. Real-world talent is one thing, having the logistics to make it, is another

I had one chance, i had a car which i was sharing with the owner of the team(which i worked as a mechanic). I took my racing license, made it to practice. Due to politics, and no one wanting that racetrack there, because it was blocking the money, they made everything to close it and demolished part of it. I had nowhere to go, it was a regional championship, and the owner couldn't care less about a 140bhp Clio, when he was running a Ferrari 550 GT all over Brazil.

So, if i manage to go to the top on my country, don't i have a chance to make it?
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear you were so disappointed Dave. I'll be the first to admit, the game is flawed in more ways than I would like... but overall I find it one of the best in its genre (factor in cost & I find it the best, PC included). Sounds and graphics are in no way minor details. Don't let anyone tell you they are. Those two facets should be weighted fairly heavily, but unfortunately for PD they are not. While the cars look fairly good they don't really match Forza in detail. But what the game lacks in detail, it completely makes up for it in gameplay. IMO, GT6 & GT5 are too similar to consider them different generations of the game, and the current generation/platform (GT5 and GT6) have kept a huge minimum audience of 100,000's players amused for well over 3 years. That's INSANE!

As for the odd driving cars, there's only one fix for that and I doubt PD will ever do it... Scrap the older car models and replace them with newly modeled versions. The cost of that would be outrageous and just isn't feasible.
 
I have over 3400 hrs driving time! :crazy:

Right, because I've been driving 20 hours a day since the game came out, OK Kaz if you say so...

I doubt there are many that would have gone past 500hrs. I think they missed the chance to have more trophies Like bronze for 100 silver for 300 and gold for 500. I will easily go past300+hrs but with the gold trophy it would give me a incentive to go for 500hrs :lol:
 
I got bored of F4 because I have played it pretty much every day since it first came out so thought I fancied something different. Ive heard from friends that Forza 5 is very arcade too...

You liked Forza 4 enough to play it every day since it's release, but the word of your friends was enough to dissuade you from buying the next in the series?

Dat logic.

Otherwise I agree with pretty much everything you say.
 
You need to top using the DS3. I know, Boohoo the sound, a lot of specs are wrong, physics are inconsistent (lol @ this), the tuning isn't legit, and so on. You're going to screw with the cars anyways, who cares about the gearing being off or the springs not being factory spec. Minor details. Physics are good, cars drive well with solid tunes, tuning works, etc. You're on a ds3. You can't whine about the physics when you can't feel it. And some of the cars actually were taken from gt3 and ported. There 1200. Again, who cares. Can't be perfect across the board, in all aspects and it sounds like you expect it to...for $50...on a ds3. We've been given ten updates and things just get better. I don't understand how things like the gearing not being at factory spec for all 1200 cars. You know it's off - so change it and move on ;) Spring rates are not to spec - change them. A car's graphics aren't up to your standards - sell it. There are 1199+ more to choose from.

Why should you be able to do just as well with a gamepad, compared to a wheel. It's a driving game. There are aids for you to keep up with people using wheels. There's also some people who are very good with controllers. Either way, it's a driving game. It should absolutely be gear towards wheel users. There plenty of arcade racers out there for you.

If you don't like the game just sell it, because there are a million threads that contain the same exact rhetoric.
 
Dave
You will find the The "GT6 Epic Whining and Crying Thread" has the most post for a reason. Your original post would have fit right in. You could cut and paste it.

Oh, you need a wheel.
 
Dave
You will find the The "GT6 Epic Whining and Crying Thread" has the most post for a reason. Your original post would have fit right in. You could cut and paste it.

Oh, you need a wheel.
He`s right you know. :cheers:
 
I am sorry that the game has not met the expectations of many, including the OP. I have been playing Gran Turismo for more than ten years. It is one of my favorite game series of all time. GT5 remains my favorite game of all time to this day. I started playing it on its release date in November 2010, with a wheel and pedal set (Logitech DFGT and later multiple Fanatec wheels and Clubsport pedals, and Thrustmaster T500 wheel and pedal set), and continued almost daily until December 2013, when GT6 was released. Since GT6 was released in December, I have played it almost daily and absolutely love it. It is easily the best game of the series and I am confident that it will eventually be my favorite game of all time. Here is why.

We all can agree that the overall track collection in GT6 is sublime and might be the best in all of sim racing. No other fantasy track selection beats GT6's, although Forza certainly has a good selection of fantasy tracks. GT6 also has the best selection of city tracks. The real world race track selection is good, although the tracks generally do not look nearly as good as Forza 5, iRacing and other newer engine sims and certainly the selection in iRacing is better.

We also can all agree that GT6 has by far the best car selection, as defined by number of cars and diversity of types of cars. There is no other racing game that comes close, although Forza certainly has a great car selection. The problem with the car selection in GT6 is that certain cars pale in comparison to versions of the same car in other sims. For example, the iRacing, Project CARS and Assetto Corsa versions of the BMW Z4 GT3 car look, sound and feel great, whereas the GT6 version is just OK. The FFB, sound and physics are mediocre. And so what that means is that I rarely drive a car in GT6 that I instead can drive in one of the newer engine sims. But, that is OK, because there are so many cars that I can drive in GT6 that I cannot find elsewhere.

As far as FFB and physics go, my overall opinion is high, but that probably depends heavily on my use of a Thrustmaster T500RS wheel and pedal set. I have never driven a car in GT6 with a controller and have no plans to do so in the future. GT6 seems tuned particularly to the T500, since it is the "official wheel and pedal set" of GT6. I previously had a Fanatec Clubsport wheel and it just did not feel as good in GT6. And so there is no question that I am getting a "leg up" by using the T500. The FFB with the T500 is quite powerful, but I also have noticed huge differences between cars. Some of that difference is explained by the type of car. But, admittedly, some cars have mediocre FFB. The BMW Z4 is an example. Car physics as transmitted by the wheel feel incredible for many cars. The rally cars are a good example. Are there better FFB and physics in rally cars in the sim racing world, putting aside Richard Burns Rally? I do not think so, the FFB and physics of rally cars in GT6 are as good as it gets. Period. I also love the FFB and physics of many of the less powerful cars. But, I will admit that some of the GT cars are disappointing. That means when I turn on GT6, I tend to focus on less powerful FF, FR and 4WD cars, as well as rally and American muscle cars. I rarely run the faster GT cars. They just don't feel right.

As far as graphics, GT6 is easily the best looking game in the series, and it holds up even against newer engine sims such as Forza 5, iRacing, Assetto Corsa and Project CARs, but the graphics do suffer from being on a 7 1/2 year old console. They are nonetheless beautiful, Matterhorn, for example is sublime. The graphics are also highlighted by my GT6 triple screen set up, yes that means I have three PS3s, three monitors and three copies of the game. Again, as with the T500, multi-monitor functionality adds to my GT6 experience in a significant way. The immersion factor is exponentially increased. Ported "standard" cars do look older, but I do not mind using the traditional GT two gauge view for the standards, cockpits are great for this game, but not absolutely essential for me.

The seasonal events in GT6 are a nice perk, but I will admit that I have not enjoyed them so far as much as the seasonals in GT5. I instead focus most of my GT6 time on buying new cars and trying them as my favorite fantasy tracks, including Matterhorn, Deep Forest Raceway, Trial Mountain and Eiger Nordwand. I also enjoy several city tracks, including London and Tokyo.

GT6 does not have the used car dealership, nor does it have the level restrictions, both of which were present in GT5 and hampered my enjoyment of that game. Rather, all cars are available at the outset in one dealership.

As far as DLC, GT6 has added one free track, Red Bull Ring, and several free cars, which are easy to acquire with minimal effort.

Sounds are hit or miss in GT6, but they are not as bad as some folks claim, particularly if you use a good quality sound system. Also, I am now using a Buttkicker Gamer 2 and it adds superb tactile feel, which GT6 uses better than any other game I have tried, including iRacing.

At the end of the day, GT6 is an outstanding game and I enjoy it as much today as the day it was first released. But I acknowledge that my wheel, pedals, triple screens and Buttkicker significantly enhance my experience.
 
...stuff....
At the end of the day, GT6 is an outstanding game and I enjoy it as much today as the day it was first released. But I acknowledge that my wheel, pedals, triple screens and Buttkicker significantly enhance my experience.
GT6 is an outstanding experience, IMO it's not an outstanding game. Without decent AI to facilitate racing offline, and the ability to easily create good racing online through a driver rating and other tools, it'll never be anything more than a good driving experience.

Note that in your own very long post about the game, not once did you mention anything positive about the racing.
 
Last edited:
GT6 is an outstanding experience, IMO it's not an outstanding game. Without decent AI to facilitate racing offline, and the ability to easily create good racing online through a driver rating and other tools, it'll never be anything more than a good driving experience.

Note that in your own very long diatribe about the game, not once did you mention anything positive about the racing.

You are correct, it is more a driving simulator, at least for me, than a racing game. I do not race online in any sim these days, other than iRacing, and the AI are there to be beaten, nothing more, nothing less. The AI in GRID Autosport and F1 2013 are much more entertaining to race against than the AI in GT6.
 
Note that in your own very long diatribe about the game, not once did you mention anything positive about the racing.

Also, you need to look up the definition of diatribe. My post hardly qualifies as a diatribe.
 
Also, you need to look up the definition of diatribe. My post hardly qualifies as a diatribe.
Apologies..I didn't realize it had such a negative connotation..I had to look it up:scared:
 
Apologies..I didn't realize it had such a negative connotation..I had to look it up:scared:

I actually did too, although I did know it generally was a perjorative term. :cheers:
 
Gt6 on ps3 is bad, but on ps4 some Say it's amazing.
 
I skimmed over the OP, noticed he only uses RH and RS tires and 'knows how to set a car up'.

I figured he must be wrong.
 
I guess the majority of online GT players are wrong as well if we take that "logic" one step further.
 
You are correct, it is more a driving simulator, at least for me, than a racing game. I do not race online in any sim these days, other than iRacing, and the AI are there to be beaten, nothing more, nothing less. The AI in GRID Autosport and F1 2013 are much more entertaining to race against than the AI in GT6.

Why not? Online racing is one of the best parts of GT6, IMO, truly a great experience if you are on the right room with the right people.
 
Why not? Online racing is one of the best parts of GT6, IMO, truly a great experience if you are on the right room with the right people.

I did online GT5 for several years with a great group of guys, and also did GT6 with them for several months. I stopped because I got tired of the problems associated with GT6 online racing, including the cutting out with the voice chat. Also, most of the folks that I raced with were interested only in road racing. My primary online sim racing interest these days is ovals, and iRacing is unparalleled in that area. Moreover, with iRacing, I can pretty much race when I want and how I want. There is no waiting for guys to sort equipment and other technical issues. I sign up for a 7:45pm race, for example, and I get to race at 7:45pm. That is primarily why I also stopped doing rFactor online racing, too much time waiting for guys to get into the room and/or fix their sim or equipment.
 
Back