I dont even know where to start....

• Thread starter Dave_87
  • 35 comments
- The cars all handle wrong. I mean, have you tried the Ferrari f40?

One thing I always wondered about comments like this is the frame of reference. How many people on the forum have first hand knowledge of F40 handling? Until the day I actually get to drive an F40, or be in the car with someone who gets to drive an F40, I can't really make a judgement on whether the handling is correct or not.

Personally, I love it (the F40) as is.

And I am a luddite on a DS3 :D

I love the bit where he mentions that, when you pull out to pass, if the tires are on the white line when the turbos kick in, you're crashing. Sounds like the F40 in the game is more accurate than we think.

I skimmed over the OP, noticed he only uses RH and RS tires and 'knows how to set a car up'.
I figured he must be wrong.

Ive tried the sports and comfort tyres too. When I 'build' a car I tend to spec it with the parts it would realistically have, and that includes the tyres. What I meant by that comment is that if im trying to give the car more grip, instead of adjusting the suspension I just add stickier race tyres because the suspension physics don't always seem to work as they should.

As far as the inaccuracy comments go I don't understand why you all don't seem to care. All of the information is easily and openly available all over the internet. Could they not be bothered or something? They even have licensing from the manufacturers. They could have just asked them. There's no excuse for it. Ive noticed recently that some of the suspension setups that the cars come with as standard are significantly wrong. That must mean that the physics or some of the car data is so wrong that when you input a cars standard settings it drives like a dog, so they must have change them to suit. Surely that's not right?

As for the F40, no I haven't driven one and chances are I never will. But I know enough about cars to know that they don't handle like that in real life. Ive spent the last 15 years of my life religiously reading car magazines and quite often the F40 gets brought out as its such an iconic car. Now many of these road testers I trust, especially the ones at Evo magazine and Autocar. These aren't your usual Whatcar??? road testers, who are more interested in how big the boot is and then complain that the ride is too bumpy, many of them own several cars like this and they are real genuine car enthusiasts. F40 road tests tend to have the words 'sublime', 'well balanced', 'grippy' and 'fun' in them. Not 'undriveable' and 'catastrophic oversteer at all times'.

Ive been playing racing games since I can ever remember including GT1 and ridge racer and all that stuff. Not once have I ever felt it a necessity to purchase a steering wheel. I don't see why that should have to change because everyone else thinks I should have to. I have played on them yes, and I agree they are undoubtedly better, but I don't think they should be necessary. It is a game after all.

Im still playing the game and still enjoying it. But if no one points out the mistakes then the game developers will just churn out another big fat turd for everyone to blindly worship and there will be no more progression. The game just feels like an update of GT4 to me and in the modern world of simulation games that's just not good enough, no matter how good GT4 was when it first came out.

At this point the only real issue I have is that I've owned this game a few weeks and already completed everything bar a few missions whilst earning not nearly enough money to get anywhere near buying every car. GT4 took forever to finish!

Last edited:
If you really want a car to handle like the real thing, you can approximate it in the settings - but I think it's fairly pointless as you will never recreate the 'fear factor' or feel the drive properly through a wheel or the seat of your pants. It's not blind worship, but I love the community online, and that's why I keep returning. People do need to point out the faults, and this is the place to do it.

Couple things to keep in mind:

1. With this many cars, you're going to have some that the developers actually drove and experienced, and some that were modeled based on whatever spec sheets they could come by. The latter are not going to be as accurate.

2. It's a video game. It's needs to sell to more than competitive drivers, because there aren't enough of you to sell games to, and one thing gamers expect in a car game like GT6 is a healthy range of upgrade options. That means breaking some rules when it comes to reality.

3. Since they're not continuously running high-resolution FE simulations and DNS CFD, yeah, they're going to have to tweak a lot of things in their models by hand to get things to "feel" right. Getting things right is not a simple matter of taking manufacturer data, dropping it into the model, and pressing "go." Heck, it's not even that simple when you're doing real CFD!

4. There are a lot of physical phenomena that would be really hard to capture in the simplified physics models used by video games that may change the way a car feels from real life. This is especially the case with aerodynamics.

Now, when it comes to dragging and dropping Grand Valley from GT4 into GT6 without even a texture refresh, well that's just inexcusable.

Back