I drove Grindelwald in real life, and did a side by side comparison!

Ireland
Armagh
Shelby 427 1965
Hey everyone!

In summer last year, my girlfriend and I did a European road trip in my Mercedes. Knowing that we were going to Switzerland, I HAD to go see my favourite Gran Turismo track in the flesh. I couldn't believe just how alike it was!

I hope it's okay to post here, but I wanted to share it. I did a video where I drove the track (making my girlfriend record from the passenger seat!) and compared it side by side with the game. I think it was pretty cool!!

First time trying a video like this. Check it out!

Cheers :)
Tomo

Very cool video, thanks for that.
I wasn't aware that the tracks were so accurately set in reality back then. As a Swiss, I hope you enjoyed your time in our beautiful country. I also hope that my fellow countrymen have shown you our hospitality. ☺️🇨🇭

Good work.

I think this fictional circuit is incredible. The idea of you running uphill for 1/3 of the circuit gives the circuit a lot of character.

I didn't know the real track was so narrow.

PD could bring this modernized circuit to the GT7.

Last edited:
Yea, Grindelwald was based on the streets of that area. I had also looked a lot for any type of inspiration for Rome night but couldn't find anything. GT2 was a great part of my childhood especially after GT1. I remember about 10 years ago looking at how the special stage route 5 and 11 could potentially be put together for an amazing track. Ofc i'm 100% in the camp that gt1's SSR11 is the main one and GT3's is a damp flannel of a remake which lost the original's charm.

If Red Rock is indeed coming at some point for GT7, I wonder what...."Changes".... they'll make to it. (also in the camp that a race track grand valley is more desirable than a California road track with different topography to the original.)

Thanks for the video!

That's a great video 👍 . I did a similar thing, albeit not as well, while staying in Umbria in Italy. We drove (what we could) around Citta di'Aria, but it wasn't recorded and a good portion of the track closd to traffic. There was also a market in the square where the start/finish line was. But most of it was pretty accurate to how it was portrayed in GT4.

Great work, thanks very much for sharing this :) 👍

Great also to see this kind of community content featured on the main page!

I can relate to being somewhere amazing that we can relate to as GT players... I visited R246 in Tokyo and was blown away at how well older GT games captured it. I actually visited it pretty late one evening when it was already dark, and I knew I had to go back during the day to see it as I remembered it from the game. Walking up the 'Red Road' section (which was always my favourite part of the track) IRL was just amazing.

B4A43C27-4C1B-4C6D-9586-29B6FBC6CB16.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool! Who knew Grindelwald was another 'real track' alongside Laguna Seca and Seattle in GT2.

Just a thought, but I've also thought the distant town in GT7's rendition of Deep Forest bares a passing resemblance to Grindelwald.

1705143331648.png

^The new Deep Forest is supposed to be located in Switzerland so I'm not surprised if some of the scenery and buildings are similar to Grindy/Eiger. Ironically, back in GT2 Deep Forest is featured in the German National championship (which is where most people think the track is located until GT7 retconned it).

Sadly due to this I don't think we will see Grindy ever come back to the series. Closest we'll ever get to a modern reinterpretation is this mod in AC.

Hey, I feature in your video (4:07) :lol: Cheers!
This is the original thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt2-real-track-locations.116707/

Then some years later I went and drove there, recorded a video too (nowhere near so professionally), published it on another thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/my-trip-to-gts-switzerland-forzas-too.266872/

If you're in the area maybe you can do Eiger next. IIRC it's not based on real roads, but a hiking trail.
Been there, done that ;) There it is my take.

Hey, I feature in your video (4:07) :lol: Cheers!
This is the original thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt2-real-track-locations.116707/

Then some years later I went and drove there, recorded a video too (nowhere near so professionally), published it on another thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/my-trip-to-gts-switzerland-forzas-too.266872/

Been there, done that ;) There it is my take.
That's fantastic! That thread never showed up in my searches before the trip. I'm kinda glad it didn't, because I'd have said to myself that you did it so comprehensively that I wouldn't have bothered :lol:

Latest Posts

Back