GT2 real track locations

• Thread starter true_kiat
  • 32 comments
---Real racetracks---
LAGUNA SECA
The only real full circuit of the game, in Monterey, California.
lagunasecagt2.jpg

PIKE'S PEAK
A cut-down version of the real dirt track, the central section from Cove Creek to Devil's Playground.
pikesgt2map.jpg

pikesaereo.jpg

pikescomp1.jpg

Ari Vatanen's 1990 run:

---Fictional courses on real places---
ROMA
From 'Google Maps':
romagm.jpg

romagm2.jpg

Via Termi Caracalla --> Piazza Porta Capena ---> (right-hander) --> Via San Gregorio --> Colosseum ---> (lefh-hander) --> Via Foro Imperiale --> (right) --> Via Cavour --> (right) --> Via Annibaldi --> Colosseum -again- --> Via Claudia --> (right) --> Via della Navicella --> (right) --> Via Druso --> (right) --> Via Termi Caracalla

Panoramic bird view from 'Multimap':
roma33cir.jpg

-Huge one-
http://www.easy-share.com/1912709322/roma.jpg

First-person youtube run from 'Street View' by Google:

romacomp1.jpg

romacomp2.jpg

SEATTLE
From 'Google Maps':
seattlegm.jpg

seattlegm2.jpg

Alaskan Way --> (right-hander hairpin at Marion Street to Alaskan Way) --> (left-hander) --> Yesler Way to James Street --> (right) --> 5th Avenue --> (right) --> Washington Avenue to Prefontaine Place to Yesler Way --> (left) --> 2nd Avenue to 4th Avenue --> Qwest Field to Safeco Field --> (right) --> Royal Brougham Way (old parking-lot removed) --> (right) --> Alaskan Way

Panoramic bird view from 'Multimap':
seattle33cir.jpg

-Huge one-
http://www.easy-share.com/1911957639/seattle.JPG

First-person youtube run from 'Street View' by Google:

seattlecomp1.jpg

seattlecomp2.jpg

GRINDELWALD
Swiss alpine tourist town.
grindgt2map.jpg

grindelwald.jpg

GT5 Prologue's Eiger Nordwand is placed in real Kleine-Scheidegg Station ski-resort, some 3 miles south-west from Grindelwald.
2000563106808397789_rs.jpg

G5-7.jpg

hp-kleine-scheidegg-01.gif

GWsp.jpg

---Real places unknown location---
TAHITI
French Polynesia look-alike scenery, unknown exact location.
realtah.jpg

ROME NIGHT
Unknown exact location. It possibly is fully made-up since the few remotely-recognisable feats as the obelisk and the river bridge on the track aren't easily findable on the city map.
rnobelisco.jpg

---Made up tracks probably inspired by real places---
SPECIAL STAGE R5
Looks like Tokyo city scenery. Green signs read "Newriver City", feasible translation for japanese "Odaiba" vicinity in Tokyo, large man-made islands into the bay. Last curve's sign post read "Loop Line", possibly referring to the Rainbow Bridge between mainland and Odaiba, featured in Shotoku Battle R's game cover. Not real streets though.
realssr5.jpg

SPECIAL STAGE R11
On PSX it appeared to be an alternate route to SSR5, but with GT3's new features as the Yokohama Bay Bridge look-alike, the industrial zone or the Ferris Wheel, it could be assumed it's Yokohama. Not real streets though.
realssr11.jpg

HIGH SPEED RING
Reversed Fuji 80's look-alike, banked as originally intended.
realhsr.jpg

APRICOT HILL
Suspicious Suzuka Circuit resemblances. Double-apex curve at the beginning, followed by 'S curves', 180 degree hairpin mid-circuit plus hard chicane near the end.
realapr.jpg

SUPER SPEEDWAY
Inspired by any NASCAR track with similar layout, or japanese Twin Ring Motegi Oval.
realssp.jpg

TEST TRACK
Any high speed banked test-track would do, like the one used by Best Motoring on the video below.
realttr.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work 👍

ROME NIGHT
Unknown exact location. It possibly is fully made-up since the few remotely-recognisable feats as the obelisk and the river bridge on the track aren't easily findable on the city map.
rnobelisco.jpg

Maybe this site will help you locate the real roads used on Rome Night.

Amazing post. Sad news about SSR11... I had always hoped that it was set in real-world streets/city.

Are there actually NASCAR tracks with banking as gentle as Super Speedway, and that type of assymmetry of oval?

Hmm. Maybe Darlington, South Carolina. It has 23 to 25 degree banking. Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway has only 10 degrees, which is more like what the game feels like.

Evolution in the later games strongly suggests Super Speedway always was actually Twin Ring Motegi.

Wow. Nice find with the Grindelwald/Eiger Nordwand part and the mountain in the background. :) +Rep

This thread is epic 👍. I knew some of those tracks were real (Rome, Seattle, Grindy), and I've seen the maps with the track outlines drawn. But the youtube vids and real life pics adds a whole new level to it.

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I believe that Rome Night was loosely based on the purple roads you can see in this screenshot. The screenshot also contains Rome Track layouts from GT2 and GT5:

Last edited:
Super Speedway is just like Twin Ring Motegi. I've compared the two tracks and I found only one major difference-the real track lacks the tunnel between corner 3 and corner 4 which SS has.
P.S: It's good to be back here. And I like the forum's upgraded look. 👍

Great thread really interesting. Did the street view videos use to work? They'd be really interesting to see.

What is that oval at Tsukuba though seems very wide!

Nice work true kiat!
I think that at Apricot Hill even the Dunlop very long left hander is copied from Suzuka.
And now i get, why Apricot Hill is missing. :-)

Digging to China most likely, but if you look in the scenery on SSR5 (GT4 I think it was) outside the two left-handers onto the final straight, there are two identical sky-scrapers with red lights sitting next to eachother. Could they be the Twin-Towers?(;゜0゜)

I never put the connection to Bora Bora and Tahiti Road, but it's fairly close (with a bit of imagination).

Midfield Raceway, anyone? Always seemed like a simplified version of Suzuka merged with Estoril.

Apricot Hill always seemed like a less-restrictive version of Jarama.

I never put the connection to Bora Bora and Tahiti Road, but it's fairly close (with a bit of imagination).

Midfield Raceway, anyone? Always seemed like a simplified version of Suzuka merged with Estoril.

Apricot Hill always seemed like a less-restrictive version of Jarama.
I realized how so many parts of AH look like they were copied over from Suzuka once I read this thread. Now that you mention it, Mid-Field does look like a simple Suzuka!
I don't really see an AH in Jarama though...
Anybody have a thought on MSL? I read someone say it looked like a mini-track off Tsukuba.
How about Autumn Ring?

Last edited:
This just in! I was racing the 50 lap SSR5 enduro in GT2, when I noticed a pair of identical skyscrapers that stand right outside the track near the turn after the tight 180 hairpin! (The full course) WHAT IS PD TRYING TO SAY?????

EDIT:
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back