I finally bought Assetto Corsa.. WOW

• Thread starter eltorrente
  • 90 comments
I have been playing a lot of Project Cars 2, GT Sport and AC on PS4. Of the three games, PC2 has the championship, racing event 'feel' down, GT Sport has wonderful visuals, but AC has a far superior physics model and driving experience.

Initially I thought AC was incredibly raw - no engagement, no fancy design elements like GT sport or PC2. But the more I played the other games and found them slightly frustrating, the more I grew to love AC. Now I love it's slightly anodyne, clean feel. Only the driving matters. It's a blank canvas onto which you can project. And its tracks are superior - the Norsdschliefe in particular is so much more atmospheric and real-feeling.

Recently I attended a pro-level simulator and the base software they used was AC on PC. I had a wonderful session last night where it was Lotus 720s racing at Brands Hatch GP, and during qualifying I was tweaking my setup to eke out more performance. That feeling of modulating the grip of the front tyres and feeling the wheel go light once you lose grip - it's magic.

AC set out to make a pure racing product for adults and they succeeded.

I'm always looking for racing buddies on Playstation Live and AC / GT Sport / PC2 - hit me up at Mr_Mrau!

Thanks

I agree with your comparison in large.
What do you mean by attended a pro simulator?
Nice to meet u.

I agree with your comparison in large.
What do you mean by attended a pro simulator?
Nice to meet u.

I was at GTS RS in London - used for training GT3/4 drivers and Ferrari Challenge. Uses AC as a base software but has been updated and worked over by the team there. You sit inside a touring car shell, and have a 180 degree wraparound projection screen, direct drive wheel, pedals, race bucket, surround sound, basically full race spec fittings. Feels very real!

I was at GTS RS in London - used for training GT3/4 drivers and Ferrari Challenge. Uses AC as a base software but has been updated and worked over by the team there. You sit inside a touring car shell, and have a 180 degree wraparound projection screen, direct drive wheel, pedals, race bucket, surround sound, basically full race spec fittings. Feels very real!

Wow i see. How did you come to be able to attend? Is this for real racers as a training ground or a kind of social event ,publicity?

How different did it feel to the game AC? Was it nearer or farther from other sims like Pc2?

Sorry for many questions hehe.

Last edited:
Wow i see. How did you come to be able to attend? Is this for real racers as a training ground or a kind of social event ,publicity?

How different did it feel to the game AC? Was it nearer or farther from other sims like Pc2?

Sorry for many questions hehe.

Hi - no worries at all! I write for an auto blog and we are doing an article on simulation - we visited in relation to that and had 3 hours in the simulator. It's a fully functioning training tool - you have full access to all of your telemetry for analysis down to steering inputs and pedal inputs, as well as all the track and timing data. When we were there a few guys had just left who were training for the Ferrari Challenge in Dubai.

In terms of feel, because of the scale and wraparound effect depth perception is much better and the sense of speed and distance is far better. Also they use a pro spec direct drive setup so you can feel a lot of detail through the wheel (and the torque effect is very, very powerful). It's quite far from PC2 in the sense that the handling of the cars (we were in a Cayman GT4 Cup model and a BMW Z3 GT3) is less unpredictable and pretty much equivalent to real life. The whole experience owes a lot to the hardware too - because the pedals are hydraulic it's far harder to lock up the wheels (you really have to stamp super hard) and generally all your inputs can be finer.

Hi - no worries at all! I write for an auto blog and we are doing an article on simulation - we visited in relation to that and had 3 hours in the simulator. It's a fully functioning training tool - you have full access to all of your telemetry for analysis down to steering inputs and pedal inputs, as well as all the track and timing data. When we were there a few guys had just left who were training for the Ferrari Challenge in Dubai.

In terms of feel, because of the scale and wraparound effect depth perception is much better and the sense of speed and distance is far better. Also they use a pro spec direct drive setup so you can feel a lot of detail through the wheel (and the torque effect is very, very powerful). It's quite far from PC2 in the sense that the handling of the cars (we were in a Cayman GT4 Cup model and a BMW Z3 GT3) is less unpredictable and pretty much equivalent to real life. The whole experience owes a lot to the hardware too - because the pedals are hydraulic it's far harder to lock up the wheels (you really have to stamp super hard) and generally all your inputs can be finer.

I see thanks alot. Yeah im sure the whole surrounding hardware had an effect.
Well on a g29 the brake pedal is pretty strong and hard to lock up too for a cheaper set-up.
That's what i feel though from the pc2 demo compared to ac. Its less predictable especially in the wet. In ac i always feel what's happening.
Lucky to try this experience.

I see thanks alot. Yeah im sure the whole surrounding hardware had an effect.
Well on a g29 the brake pedal is pretty strong and hard to lock up too for a cheaper set-up.
That's what i feel though from the pc2 demo compared to ac. Its less predictable especially in the wet. In ac i always feel what's happening.
Lucky to try this experience.

Definitely - PC2 rain physics are problematic. Also the G29 setup in PC2 is hit-and-miss; for some cars good, for some cars awful. I use a G29 at home and in AC, I like it a lot. Generally it feels like the whole input model for the driver has a lot of finesse.

Definitely - PC2 rain physics are problematic. Also the G29 setup in PC2 is hit-and-miss; for some cars good, for some cars awful. I use a G29 at home and in AC, I like it a lot. Generally it feels like the whole input model for the driver has a lot of finesse.
I can share you my settings for the pc2 demo later if ever it gives some point of reference,although each individual wheel could be different too.
I'd still like to see if it can be better. It seems the lambo huracan especially feels like just keeps sliding when overcooked a curve as if in the wet, a little like many cars in pc1, whatever tires i choose. But thats just the physics maybe or the way they set-up the loss and return of grip.

Edit: here's my settings for ffb:
Immersive 82 30 54 41 .28
For set-up i use the loose set-up with brake bias a little more to the rear like 52 48 or a little more even.
I put aids to full then i off and set to 0 all.
Then in the set-up i don't change anything in the electronics. I tried set to 0 there too the aids but i don't see much difference honestly.
For control configuration i use near default i thnk settings 0 50 7 50 7 35 7 35 0.
The lambo feels nice and lively like this until it slides alot then it feels like a generic slide like many cars in pc1. It feels like i can only wait it to stop sliding, but easy and simple in feel.
Like the yellowbird for example in pc1 feels nice on curbs with weight shifting and unstability but then when it slides it's a simple arcade sliding feel that's much too easy to control i dont know, shrugs..

I do the same for the ferrari except set the brake bias to 50 50. It feels nice enough. And i can feel the water effect and even save it in puddles if not too fast.

Last edited:
I tried again the ferrari 812 and after the La ferrari with no aids at all. Its so much fun to feel and try handle and adjust and compare each car. The 1st couple of laps are a handfull even if u turn on tire blankets it seems but after that they settle well enough.

Just tried the gt40 and its great aswell with good handling and great sound especially in replay.

Last edited:
I am considering buying this on PS4. Could someone let me know what the online population is like please ?
How easy is it to get a game and how fair are the races ?
Thank you .

Tks Brandon. Hehe they are funny. Seem nice guys enjoying their work.

Definitely, I've interacted with Stefano and Aris several times. They don't suffer fools or armchair experts but as long as you treat them with the respect you'd expect to be afforded to you, they're good blokes and are genuinely passionate about what they do.

Add me to the list of those ‘Wowed’ by AC. Finally got around to trying out the UE, and can’t believe it’s taken me this long.

The FFB seems a bit heavy on default, but after dialing back to 50% it’s terrific. Looking forward to some more wheel time!

I recently purchased AC Ultimate Edition and my initial impressions were "What did I do? I'm going to hate this game because I can't control the cars!". Mind you this was me coming straight from 36 days of GTS immersion. I became frustrated with the FIA Daily races and took a break from the dirty driving and punting. I do love GTS and for the most part the racing is clean more often than not but that particular week was rubbish.

I have delved into Sim Racing more seriously and after taking a step back and doing some reading and reflection on actual driving I can say that I'm actually starting to enjoy AC after having only a couple hours of lapping and focusing on entry/exit and weight transfer I can say that it's miles ahead of GTS in that area. I need some more time with it before comparing to PC2 (I have lots of seat time in that one) but I can attest that the sounds are great and the graphics are good (somewhere between GTS and PC2)

I'm looking forward to learning more about the game and becoming better. Here's a clip from last night ripping around the Red Bull Ring. I played in the sand a few times but I'm figuring it out.

To those on console, what are some of your favorite tracks to keep driving? There's such a limited selection

To those on console, what are some of your favorite tracks to keep driving? There's such a limited selection

I'm a big Imola fan so I guess I have most of my miles logged there. Spa, Silverstone, Nurburgring GP Sprint, Red Bull GP. I don't do the point to point tracks or the fictional ones. I tend to stick mostly with real world tracks.

Sounds like the tracks I like. I never got a good handle on Vellelunga or Mugello. Actually not a fan of Mugello. It's a lot of left/right high speed chicanes and I get bored.

I've only really driven properly on the Nord Tourist version. I have to say that AC is my least favourite game out of GT Sport & Project CARS. That said, it does have it's moments; like driving the 2016 Porsche on the Nord, the way the front bobs up & down is just like the real thing. Each game has its own strengths & weaknesses.

Love Highlands ( really good for road cars ) bar the drift layout, love the ring. The track list is low but the quality is high, I even now live the track I hated; Silverstone. It's not just the physics that are good but the driving feel thanks to the road surface too. AC is the game that could get away with a low track count for me and not make me bored.

I bought the Ultimate Edition (PS4) last week and am addicted. I've only just scratched the surface, as I am only driving cars with H-pattern shifters and getting my muscle memory for heel/toeing and using no driving aids at all. There is nothing like driving a Ferrari 330 P4 at Spa and running through the gears and hearing the sounds of blipping the throttle into turns and accelerating out of them. It's just so visceral, and all the cars feel completely different from one-another.

I had been playing GTS, and I honestly rarely ever drive just to drive. In that game I'm just trying to improve my time so I can get a trophy, points, qualifying position or whatever. I don't drive just for the thrill of driving in GTS. The cars all feel so similar and not very distinct from each other. I like GTS, but it's just not the same experience. GTS is a much better game overall, but AC is far better for just pure driving.

I can't believe I waited so long to buy it. If anyone is on the fence, just buy it for the driving pleasure. The cars all feel so alive and it's a thrill to learn each one.
Agreed.
In GTS, I am often playing Sport Mode for the thrill of the online but whenever I try to play Career Mode, I often stop because of the poor AI and samey car physics.
AC however is completely different.
I was doing a bunch of career mode races in Novice level and I was already enjoying that exhaust pop from the M3.

If you love playing Assetto Corsa, please join the rest of us in the Weekly Hotlap Challenge.
This week we are in the Porsche Cayman GT4 at Silverstone. Next week's challenge will be posted just after 6pm this evening.
The challenges are posted in the Console Lounge, towards the bottom of the page of the Assetto Corsa Forum. Do a lap in hotlap mode, according to the regs, post a screenshot and enjoy the glory!
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/
Everyone and all platforms are welcome, we share set-ups, videos and banter and have a very friendly community of petrol heads. My lap times have improved hugely since I started playing.
I'm Totall Wrytoff (on the AC forum,) I now organise the challenges and would love to have you all join in!:cheers:

Got myself A Thrustmaster TX leather edition to dip my toes into Sim racing last weekend.
I have both Xbox one X and PC.

Started off with the XBOX just for the ease of things.

First game was Forza 7 with some tweaking in the settings. Got to a decent feeling but still lost control of the car on a regular basis.
Fun experience overall but I lacked the confidence of really pushing it.

Then after a 2 hour break I was really tired and I did not even really fancy more time behind the wheel. I still decided to Give Assetto Corsa a go.
Of course I have read before that AC should have the best physics and that was kind of intimidating.
The difference in feel between this and FM7 is unreal. AC feels so much better and it gave me much more confidence going into the corners.
This was how I always imagined racing on a decent wheel would be like and I ended up playing for 4 hours straight.

Best experience of the evening was a 2 lap race on the Endurance variant of the Nurburgring in an Audi R8 GT3 car. I know the Ring pretty good from other games and youtubevideos regarding what to expect and breaking points etc. The way I could push that car in this first run really suprised me. Going down that long Bumpy straight actually made me laugh. In the 2nd lap I really got in the zone where I just looked at the screen and did not even think about what I was actually doing with my hands and legs. Of course I got overconfident and crashed the car at 90% of the race.
That run was definitely one of my most intense gamingmoments in years.

the next day I tried Project Cars 2. It felt dull compared to AC. I still managed to drive some descent laps but that was more based on Visual imput and track knowledge.

So AC is damn good as a driving experience.

Never even gave this game a fair chance when it came out. Do not remember it baught it before PC2 or not, think might of. Played mostly GTS in the last 2 years except now and then giving ago at PC2.

Decide to finally dust of corsa again and just mess around a bit. Was fully expecting to have same opinion and feeling of the game when first tried it.

Only have maybe little over 2 or 3 hours since giving it another go.

Just seems more natural compared to PC2 to drive the cars. This is with only using a T-150.
The feed back to the wheel feels fine, even maybe good. With blue tooth head set the sounds are good, probably better then PC2.
The sound of tire squel, braking sound good, maybe just about right.

Will continue to mess around with it for awhile. Perhaps try and find ultimate edition, even though baught Japanese pack and one of the packs that had some porch cars.

The user interface is pretty bad, probably one of the things that really put me off and annoyed me when first got it.

Damage does not seem to have as drastic impact as PC2 (so far), but not sure.

Anyways will see what I make of it over the next few weeks. Maybe it will help tied me over until towards end of this year, when will probably go PC route.

Latest Posts

Back