I HATE THE TIRE WEAR AND THE PENALTY TIMES SUCK!!!!

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 38 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
Rant. (update, to clarify, I hate the tire wear when combined with the penalties)

Before I get really into it, aside from any issues with tire wear, why can't we set the tire wear to more than 10x? PD serves up races with 12x and more so how are we supposed to test? But aside from that annoyance. I am REALLY sick of the tire wear

Worse is that the only REAL deterrent to driving like a jerk, the penalty for running people off the road, is either 4 or 5 seconds.

We need the 10 second penalty back. Full stop. Done. I am not sure why it was removed. I don't believe the time was the issue. 10 seconds needs to be implemented again, especially because the tire wear sucks.

Here's why I have an issue with it. If some tool knocks you off track, they get 4-5 seconds penalty, but you are hosed until the pit stops because that slide they caused ruins your tires. I was losing more than a second a lap because of being knocked off track. 12x wear means that one slide is the equivalent wear of 12 SLIDES! Then, again because of the multiplier, if I pit early to fix my tire issue, I screw myself because at 12x wear, pitting 1 lap early is the equivalent of pitting 12 LAPS sooner if tire wear was at 1X. 12 LAPS! That's an enormous difference.

So, from a penalty standpoint, who REALLY got screwed here? I mean, the system did it's just in doling out blame, but in practice, the victim experiences the real penalty. Not only did I lose time throughout the race, but the DR and SR takes a hit because of it, more so than the aggressor (because dropping through the field will cause some inevitable contact and knocks against your SR.

Aside from the far too aggressive wear, why is wear EVER turned off? The handling and pace difference is so different as to be completely different tires. Why isn't "wear off" simply 1x wear with 0 wear occurring after 95% or so? Why do we practice with no wear, qualify with no wear, then get tossed into a race with excessive wear with the expectation that everything will be alright?

If PD wants to force pit stops, then they should be force fuel stops rather than forcing tire stops. Let us adjust our starting fuel load so we can have a pit strategy and then let the chips fall where they may! While they are at it, they need to rethink the impact of their tire wear multiplier. Or, if they want to force tire stops, make the races longer! Have 1 race C every hour instead of two. Make wear 5-6 x rather than 12-13x.

I've accepted it to this point because PD changes things as the game goes on, but these two aspects have been like this for a long time now and I had to voice my utter distaste for what they've done (or failed to do).

Last edited:
If you practice, practice in an online lobby instead of arcade mode. Since your saying you can't set tire wear more than 10x I am assuming you practice in arcade. Online lobbies will allow you to set it to up to 20x I think, maybe more. Check the "friends only" setting if you don't want a bunch of yahoos joining.

The only real downside is no replay and no session results screen. So you can't really analyze your section times.

The penalties in Dailies should be changed to the FIA Penalty system IMO. In dailies one can rack up a few seconds in penalties early then wait until it's convenient for them to start serving, when they have a nice gap. Then slowly knock it off by letting off early into turns so they really don't loose much time since they are just braking early really. I recall being bale to kill 5 secodns of penalty while maintaining a 2 second lead. Then the ol' stop at the line trick to kill the last little bit. At least with the FIA system you serve your penalty right away, even if you are in a fight with 3 other drivers. A .5 second penalty could cost you 3 spots.

I think they might have rebalanced the penalty times because of the FIA system. Depending on the track a 5 second penalty under FIA rules is often a lot more than that, because you serve at the start of a straight you'll carry that loss of speed all the way through.

I stay a way from dailies because I find the driving to be awful and dirty, the FIA races are much cleaner events.

Last edited:
Well said.

The game can be very frustrating so it discourages me from playing it a lot. I really only do FIA Group 3 races. Sometimes I do try to find Group 3 lobbies but so often people are running Super Soft racing tires with no wear :crazy:

May as well be playing Wipeout 2064 :lol:

Great points!
I also this weekend started to hate a new thing: I was in first, I slide while entering the pit on Suzuka and hit the pit entry, completely alone. The game tough that was fun and penalized me with 5 seconds. " oh you should be dead now, here take 5 seconds for that" .

OH IT'S WORSE!!! If you exit the pit lane at the same time as another, so that you are ghosted but in the same location, the driver ahead gets an SR down strike.

If you practice, practice in an online lobby instead of arcade mode. Since your saying you can't set tire wear more than 10x I am assuming you practice in arcade. Online lobbies will allow you to set it to up to 20x I think, maybe more. Check the "friends only" setting if you don't want a bunch of yahoos joining.

Yes, true. Still, it seems silly that the offline mode doesn't allow the same settings. Yet, shouldn't qualifying and warm up have the same restrictions as the race, you know, like real life?

The penalties in Dailies should be changed to the FIA Penalty system IMO.

1000X Yes. and, interestingly, motogp have instituted a real world representation of this. For penalties, riders have to take a "long lap" which forces them to ride through a penalty area on track. It will debut at Qatar.

I stay a way from dailies because I find the driving to be awful and dirty, the FIA races are much cleaner events.

I've found the opposite to be true. I don't know if the more official aspect of it makes people more prone to raging, but I've made clean passes on people (minimal contact, no SR deduction, no knocking people off line), obviously frustrated them, and then had them full force wreck me in the next corner. it's happened in the last two races I participated in.

I love tire wear.
Hate to be a jerk, but as a wheel guy I target those races because it gives me an advantage over many who don’t use wheel imo.
Jmo

I've only raced 4 races on my wheel but I agree.

On DS4 the end of races for me were just hang on for dear life. I'd always be losing time in the last two laps, watching my split with the guy behind me get closer and closer to .000 and watching the split from the guy ahead of me grow.

Now in the 4 races I've done on the wheel it's the other way around, or at least I stay competitive until the finish line.

I wasn't around back when the 10 second penalty was in the game, but I imagine that if the person who got it wasn't in the wrong, it was extremely frustrating for them. Determining who's at fault is where the penalty system is still lacking, so it's possible that PD wanted to reduce the risk of someone unjustly getting a huge penalty that would ruin their chances completely. This is where FIA races come into play too; from what I've seen on YT, even a half-second penalty can compromise your race with the way penalty zones are set up. With that in mind, 10 seconds would be a death sentence that no recovery drive can save you from. It's better to hand out penalties of 5 seconds or less than run the risk of giving 10 seconds to the wrong person.

Despite all that, I do however support the return of the 10s penalty *only* if the fault detection system is substantially improved. 5 seconds is often enough of a penalty, but sometimes it can be almost a non-issue, like on Sarthe. 10 seconds on the other hand is a fairer punishment for someone who deprives another driver of their chances to win or fight for position. It's just a matter of giving it to the right driver and for the right kind of incident (PLEASE NO 10S WALL PENALTIES ON TOKYO EXPRESSWAY). I'd be reluctant to reintroduce it in FIA races though, seeing as a few tenths of penalty time can be brutal there.

About tire wear, I'm a fan of it since it makes races dynamic and can bring out certain sets of skills. Also, last time I checked (around New Year's) you could set it up to x30 in online lobbies. Not sure if they've changed it. The only thing I don't like about tire wear is...

I love tire wear.
Hate to be a jerk, but as a wheel guy I target those races because it gives me an advantage over many who don’t use wheel imo.
Jmo

*cries in DS4*

I agree, I have spent most of my time in Race C and I'm just sick of it, the tire wear is way over the top. The races aren't very long and there is always an optimal strategy anyway. I remember getting spun by someone awhile back in the last corner of Yamagiwa II with 15x tire wear or something. It completely roasted my tires and they just drove off into the sunset with a small time penalty, lol.

The penalty system has always been a bit of a joke, what gets me is if you smack a wall and lose a bunch of momentum you still get handed a 5 second penalty.

Last edited:
I love tire wear.
Jmo

Ya, the wheel doesn't matter. The Huracan is all slidy and wears more than normal. It is also the car I win with the most. So, I'm going to plant my flag in the "doesn't matter" camp.

It's not the tire wear in and of itself, it's the tire wear implementation. As I stated, with the multiplier, every lap is essentially multiple laps. Because every corner, every slip, every bump has the effect of multiples, the effect is cumulative. So, if you get a little extra sideways nudge, it's liek have been nudged 12 times, which is far more significant that just a single nudge.

Because of the wear of 12 (or 13, or whatever) nudges, your car slides more at the next corner, which is multiplied, and the next corner more, which is multiplied.

Even though the wear is not necessarily exponential, it ends up having an exponential effect.

I wasn't around back when the 10 second penalty was in the game, but I imagine that if the person who got it wasn't in the wrong, it was extremely frustrating for them. Determining who's at fault is where the penalty system is still lacking, so it's possible that PD wanted to reduce the risk of someone unjustly getting a huge penalty that would ruin their chances completely.

Yet, this is my point. By NOT having the 10 second penalty, people are less careful of contact. I have had plenty of people turn into me, carelessly, and then crashing, giving me the penalty. So, by making it more lenient, people care less.

Now, let's say the system gets it right, which it actually does more often than not, this is where my rant comes from. That contact kills your race.

At Suzuka, as an example, if you get pushed out onto the run off at turn one, you are immediately handed a handicap until the pit stop, because, as I stated, it's akin to being shoved off 12 times.

There as to be a better way.

We need the 10 second penalty back. Full stop. Done. I am not sure why it was removed. I don't believe the time was the issue. 10 seconds needs to be implemented again, especially because the tire wear sucks.

Here's why I have an issue with it. If some tool knocks you off track, they get 4-5 seconds penalty, but you are hosed until the pit stops because that slide they caused ruins your tires. I was losing more than a second a lap because of being knocked off track. 12x wear means that one slide is the equivalent wear of 12 SLIDES! Then, again because of the multiplier, if I pit early to fix my tire issue, I screw myself because at 12x wear, pitting 1 lap early is the equivalent of pitting 12 LAPS sooner if tire wear was at 1X. 12 LAPS! That's an enormous difference.

So, from a penalty standpoint, who REALLY got screwed here? I mean, the system did it's just in doling out blame, but in practice, the victim experiences the real penalty. Not only did I lose time throughout the race, but the DR and SR takes a hit because of it, more so than the aggressor (because dropping through the field will cause some inevitable contact and knocks against your SR.

The way the penalty system works you're just as likely to receive the 10s penalty as the player who rammed you is. Its not random assignment, its logic is well known, but the events after an incident can be and that confuses it.

Worse is that the only REAL deterrent to driving like a jerk, the penalty for running people off the road, is either 4 or 5 seconds.

Funny thing is how these penalties scrub off. Just few days ago i was driving behind a guy who had 4sec penalty. Since i was around 1.4 seconds behind him I decided to take it easy and let the penalty take its toll.

What happened was ridiculous. Just before finishline he slammed the brakes and served the penalty to finish few tenths before me with no penalty. At this point i was that 1.4s behind him flatout at the main straight of dragon trail. So much for the 4sec penalty.:indiff:

What we need is permanen penalties added to ones time at the end or served during pit stop.

My comment here is to say that there was a "plan" to introduce the FIA penalty system into daily races.

From GT Sport Time Penalty Post 01/11/2018:

The Time Penalty system that comes into effect when a driver receives a Time Penalty during a race will change from Season 3 of the 'FIA Gran Turismo Championship' 2018 Exhibition Series.

In the new automated system, players will no longer clear their Time Penalties on their own initiative. Instead, there will be a section on the track in each race where the cars will automatically slow down to clear the penalty.

This change will be first implemented in the 'FIA Gran Turismo Championships' within the Sport mode, and will also be introduced in the Daily Races in the future.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_3494949.html

That was included in this post on 01/11/2018 but we are now about to enter March and still not implemented, hopefully it might happen
with next week's update but I guess we have to wait and see.

Funny thing is how these penalties scrub off. Just few days ago i was driving behind a guy who had 4sec penalty. Since i was around 1.4 seconds behind him I decided to take it easy and let the penalty take its toll.

What happened was ridiculous. Just before finishline he slammed the brakes and served the penalty to finish few tenths before me with no penalty. At this point i was that 1.4s behind him flatout at the main straight of dragon trail. So much for the 4sec penalty.:indiff:

What we need is permanen penalties added to ones time at the end or served during pit stop.

Absolutely. I would be totally in favour of penalties in the dailies being either like the FIA races or permanent. And, YES, the time penalty should actually require the time indicated. In addition to being more strict in regards to time. The time, the rate at which it is burned off, and the ability to burn it when it's most convenient makes it more of an annoyance than an actual penalty.

You must really hate it to use CAPS and !!!!'`s

Yes, and the fact of the matter is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Many, many times, the vocal majority has gotten their way because a thread stands out.

That's why we currently have penalty times that cause no fear in anyone.

If you slightly cut turn 2 at Fuji (the fast left) you get just over 2 seconds penalty. Yet, if you sweep inside someone there and knock them off track, you MIGHT get 4 seconds or you might get nothing, because if you do it just right, they will turn into you before going off track, and the system will give them blame. So, the victim may get the 4 seconds penalty. In addition, that knocked off player will have messed up their tires, reducing their grip all the way to the chicane, and if they lost control in the mean time, their tires are messed until the pit stop.

We are currently just allowing the system to be bad and I'm not ok with that.

If I burn my tires because of the way I play, fine. That's on me. If I' screwed for half a race because of lenient penalties, that's on PD.

Here's what I am going on about.

Exhibit 1 - I hit a wayward driving cone and get launched.
4981069233110679552_0.jpg

Exhibit 2 - Since I am in the middle of a long corner, this caused me to lose control and skid
4981632171789811720_0.jpg

Exhibit 3 - The skid cause me to hit the wall
5125184410447020032_0.jpg

The impact caused me to lose a huge amount of speed, obviously, but for some reason the game decides that this is worthy of a 5 second penalty. So, if I drive straight into another player and ruin their race, I get the same penalty as taking myself out of a race...ya, makes sense :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, the slide roasted my tires, thereby ruining the race altogether for me. I had to pit early to avoid losing too many positions and I had to run 10 laps on hards, lest I fall to the back of the pack after starting on pole.

I finished the race in second, 10 seconds back. If I had just let second place catch me and then run him off track, I would likely have won and eliminated the prime contender for victory. Seems to me that being dirty is the better strategy. I'm sure others use that tactic.

Well said.

The game can be very frustrating so it discourages me from playing it a lot. I really only do FIA Group 3 races. Sometimes I do try to find Group 3 lobbies but so often people are running Super Soft racing tires with no wear :crazy:

May as well be playing Wipeout 2064 :lol:

I've actually statred to run lobbies with no tyre wear and RS. Would prefer RH but my friends prefer to have RS, and it really does feel nuts like Wip3out sometimes when I come from the weekly races to the lobby.

As for turning tyre wear off, I started to do that after I watched Super GT's wheel vs pad comparison test. Seems like wheel users are at an advantage with less tyre wear. Being a pad user and to make it fair I turned tyre wear off.

I also don't do any weekly races with tyre wear, I'm not inteterest in racing against people who have an advantage as a given.

The impact caused me to lose a huge amount of speed, obviously, but for some reason the game decides that this is worthy of a 5 second penalty. So, if I drive straight into another player and ruin their race, I get the same penalty as taking myself out of a race...ya, makes sense :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, the slide roasted my tires, thereby ruining the race altogether for me. I had to pit early to avoid losing too many positions and I had to run 10 laps on hards, lest I fall to the back of the pack after starting on pole.

I finished the race in second, 10 seconds back. If I had just let second place catch me and then run him off track, I would likely have won and eliminated the prime contender for victory. Seems to me that being dirty is the better strategy. I'm sure others use that tactic.

That would be the wall collision penalty in action.

I get you lose a lot of time when you go off and adding a 5 second penalty seems unnecessary but consider this: if you hit the wall like that in real racing that's race over, that could be season over, that could be career over, that could be life over.

A 5 seconds penalty is a small price to pay. Rule one in racing, don't crash. You're lucky the game doesn't boot you back to the main menu when you have an off like that. :lol:

That would be the wall collision penalty in action.

I get you lose a lot of time when you go off and adding a 5 second penalty seems unnecessary but consider this: if you hit the wall like that in real racing that's race over, that could be season over, that could be career over, that could be life over.

A 5 seconds penalty is a small price to pay. Rule one in racing, don't crash. You're lucky the game doesn't boot you back to the main menu when you have an off like that. :lol:

That's another topic altogether now, isn't? having catastrophic damage is something many of us have asked for. You're missing the point.

However, what we are talking about is the cumulative effect of unnecessary penalties + tire wear. What I am showing is that causing no harm to anyone but myself is more penalizing that if I were a downright jerk and intentionally ruined someone else's race.

As I stated several posts above, the 10 second penalty for running people off track needs to be reinstated.

On the flip side, Imagine I am racing a guy, he’s fast and aggressive. He’s in an mr and I am in fr gr3.
Say we are at Suzuka and I mess up spoon exit a bit and he’s got slipstream but his car is not fast enough to overtake before 130r.
We are coming to 130 r and he takes the inside last second...Let’s just say...So we go side by and bump a touch and he crashes. I should not get a ten second hit for that at all. What if there’s a pack chasing? What am I supposed to do as the lead car? Defend the inside and brake check? That ain’t gonna happen. Slow too much and get into trouble with the others chasing under braking? No thanks.
Any contact there is the fault of the overggressive driver who initiated the move but was unable to complete it without contact as far as I am concerned.
Now, maybe if you know the person and can trust them yadda yadda, but in a daily a lot of times you don’t know the name...Ive seen it done where the slipstream allows a pass and getting back to the line just before the turn in there and I have done it. Both cars go through fine and the pack will not gain ground. Trying to go side by side when you begin on the line? Nine out of ten you will be offed. I’m just saying I support the stiffest penalties that they can do, but only if I am not penalized because a reckless driver bounces off me half out of control.
I had a great race against a guy last week where I was gaining, but not enough to get by first stint a couple times there... second half of race he was in the same position, we didn’t recklessly pull inside, we lifted a bit and followed which prevented those behind from gaining time on us.
Give respect get respect. And that made for a fun fair battle.
Far as hitting walls go and that you can read if wall contact pen is on or off.
I can’t say much about the pens overall. I just don’t get many so I’m no expert on that. I try to avoid contacting other vehicles unless they punt me and I catch them!
I sure hope they are putting pen zones in in today’s maint.
As far as tire wear again, if you car is really fast but nervous and can burn tires if not careful, you know that going in. You chose the car. I’m to the point I might start using cars like that for qual and racing what makes sense to me on stability in the dailies.
My one suggestion for the game is limit the amount of qual laps each player can do pre race.
It sucks when you start behind four people whose race pace is abysmal but somehow their qual time is fantastic. I’m not gonna sit in qual for 2-3 hours, that’s not fun for me.
Again, tire wear provides a huge added element of strategy, because it is an equalizer. Smooth driver? Late in the stint you can apply pressure to those who gained time the first couple laps or run away and hide from a guy with burnt tires...
I really enjoy the tire wear aspect, and I was noticing there’s more to those settings in terms of effects than meets the eye at first drive, largely because of reading your thoughts @Voodoovaj . Thanks for being passionate!
Personally, I think it’s a great feature and don’t see a problem. If you slide halfway across a runout area in a four wheel drift you will screw up your tires! If it’s because a guy hit ya that’s racing.

Exhibit 1 - I hit a wayward driving cone and get launched.
4981069233110679552_0.jpg

Exhibit 2 - Since I am in the middle of a long corner, this caused me to lose control and skid
4981632171789811720_0.jpg

Exhibit 3 - The skid cause me to hit the wall
5125184410447020032_0.jpg

Penalty system is tit for tat. But your post highlighted the real issue which is the cone collision model. It’s absolutely ridiculous and unrealistic and I honestly don’t know how the player base isn’t more up in arms over it.

it’s almost like PD structured it deliberately as a punitive measure against not avoiding road hazards

Game physics is a weird thing, to change the cones, would mean changing how a car handles within the world as well, So they probably sacrificed the cone-tact :rolleyes: for the car's handling.

The problem I have with the tyre wear is that they degrade a consistent rate, wherein your laps get progressively slower. That may sound like madness but hear me out: In Project Cars 2, your lap speed doesn't start to dip dramatically until they are at 10% wear, wherein you may lose more than 2 seconds per lap. In Gran Turismo, you start to see a decrease in lap speed within 2 laps. You should be able to consistently lap within 1 second of your fastest time for the majority of the race, until the tyres eventually "fall off" that imaginary "cliff". Project Cars 2 seems to excel in this area, whereas Gran Turismo doesn't. You struggle the entire way losing 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 4 seconds and so on. I hope I've made myself clear with this post.

The problem I have with the tyre wear is that they degrade a consistent rate, wherein your laps get progressively slower. That may sound like madness but hear me out: In Project Cars 2, your lap speed doesn't start to dip dramatically until they are at 10% wear, wherein you may lose more than 2 seconds per lap. In Gran Turismo, you start to see a decrease in lap speed within 2 laps. You should be able to consistently lap within 1 second of your fastest time for the majority of the race, until the tyres eventually "fall off" that imaginary "cliff". Project Cars 2 seems to excel in this area, whereas Gran Turismo doesn't. You struggle the entire way losing 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 4 seconds and so on. I hope I've made myself clear with this post.

Correct. Tire wear in SEEMS to be excessive in the early life of the tire, but we don't know because of the multiplier, and this is what I am most frustrated by.

Take this week's Race C. 13 laps with 13X tire wear. If the tires are wearing out at 13X, that means all the things in the lap are 13X, essentially resulting in 13X laps. So, 13X13= 169 laps or roughly 4.5 hours of racing.

It's hard to compare 20 minutes to 4.5 hours, but obviously, a small slide has a vastly more profound effect when the multiplier increases.

What this does is effectively negate any penalty you might incur. You could knock someone off track, and the 5 seconds you incur is essentially equal to the time the other person loses because of the loss in grip.

I’m just gonna say that imo you fellas are looking at the right things determining race strategy and focusing on this.
I’m also saying that it’s not wise to drive super aggressive lap one with tire wear on.
There’s more subtlety than you might think.

I’m just gonna say that imo you fellas are looking at the right things determining race strategy and focusing on this.
I’m also saying that it’s not wise to drive super aggressive lap one with tire wear on.
There’s more subtlety than you might think.

Again, and I get that it's hard to differentiate, I am not talking about tire wear in and of itself.

My issue is with the amount of multiplication, how that multiplication amplifies a small mistake, and, given that small mistakes usually result in a penalty, the pendulum swings HARD against clean drivers.

If it pays to be dirty, then people will be dirty.

Correct. Tire wear in SEEMS to be excessive in the early life of the tire, but we don't know because of the multiplier, and this is what I am most frustrated by.

Take this week's Race C. 13 laps with 13X tire wear. If the tires are wearing out at 13X, that means all the things in the lap are 13X, essentially resulting in 13X laps. So, 13X13= 169 laps or roughly 4.5 hours of racing.

It's hard to compare 20 minutes to 4.5 hours, but obviously, a small slide has a vastly more profound effect when the multiplier increases.

What this does is effectively negate any penalty you might incur. You could knock someone off track, and the 5 seconds you incur is essentially equal to the time the other person loses because of the loss in grip.

So have test been done to determine if everything is 13x faster, or just the ware factor is faster, I find it hard to believe PD has managed to incorporate every slide off the track and bump from behind.

If we can get proof of this by a method of testing then it is plausible, otherwise, we are just complicating the mathematics with all these extra variables

Hitting wayward cones is a very good reason to not have those driving markers on, btw. If they aren't there, you can't get harmed by them.

So have test been done to determine if everything is 13x faster, or just the ware factor is faster, I find it hard to believe PD has managed to incorporate every slide off the track and bump from behind.

If we can get proof of this by a method of testing then it is plausible, otherwise, we are just complicating the mathematics with all these extra variables

The wear is 13X. What do you think causes wear?

We know it's not time based and we know it's not lap based. Can you think of another reason that would cause wear other than wear?

We know that sliding, lockup, etc, causes more wear than not doing those things. If the wear is 13X, how would you determine 13X any other way aside from multiplying the effect of a wear item by 13X?

Hitting wayward cones is a very good reason to not have those driving markers on, btw. If they aren't there, you can't get harmed by them.

Perhaps I should turn those on. My main issue on Fuji is not being able to see the apexes or track sides in bumper cam due to the low viewpoint and angles of the track. Can't see what I need to aim for, driving blind half the track. I almost switched to chase cam last race.

Back