I have reached a point in my life in which I dont believe absolutely anything

Tercel_driver

(Banned)
The media bombards you with tons of crap. Religion tells you to be exactly like a certain type of person or you go to hell, society pressures you to have any definite role or you dont deserve to be called a person.

As it says on the topic, I believe this whole crap is just a nightmare. I think then you actually get to discover what is life, you die and wake up.

Sorry if it sounds weird.

It's been that way for a long time. Everything comes at you with unrelenting speed. It's up to you to learn how to handle it.

The choice is yours.

After all, you can only believe in what you choose to believe.

AO

What if you choose not to decide though???

Anxiety, I believe has a lot to deal with how fast things hit you. . . There are times in life that everything makes sense and then there are times when it seems like one big cluster of crap coming out of every corner. . .

i dont know much about spirituallity all i know is that there is some sort of god otherwise i wouldnt be alive (many close calls) but with the media, govt and things i understand.

I haven't believed in anything going on almost 5 years now. I don't care about what the media feeds me, I don't care about the "decadence of culture" or whatever you want to call it, I do believe in a God but hardly practice my religion (oh yeah, I guess I'm a hypocrite too)

I do find a little joy in watching the behavior of society and people I meet. But other than that, I'm just 'coasting through life with my arm hanging out the window.' Maybe, just maybe, I'll run into somebody/something that'll make me change later in life. If not, lo que será, será.
Time will tell at any rate.

Tercel, youve got it round the wrong way, your supposed to give up all hope in religion and humanity and become a hardened cynic and a grupmy old man....THEN join GTP...not the other way round.

Religion doesn't tell you to do something or you go to hell. It just describes the ways you might live a better life. Unfortunately, few people really follow all the principles anymore.

And if you're gonna live you entire life in that state of denial, you're gonna soon not believe in anything else. And that sucks. I mean, what is there to live for after that?

Originally posted by TurboSmoke
never heard of Presbyterianism? Hellfire and damnation are a cornerstone of that particular branch of Christianisty.

Yeah, Christianity believes in a hell, but that's different from it saying "follow these rules or you go to hell".

Everyone is entitled to whatever they want to believe in. It's up to ourselves to choose what we want to believe in and what we don't want to believe in. I think the mind is a large.. censoring system; it filters out alot of unwanted memories and information and stores only what we want to know. The truth is, we are only denying ourselves. We filter out all the information that doesn't interest us, concern us, or worse, hurts us. But we must learn as people to accept everything that happens.

I think the media, religion, and things like that, only serve to act as a primary filtering system. They filter out information THEY don't want us to know about, and we take the information they give us, and filter it a step further. It really is up to the person to decide what we do and dont' want to know.

"The media bombards you with tons of crap." - That's true. The media does bombard us with tons of crap - maybe in your view. To some other people, they entirely believe in the media to tell them what they need to know. Again, it's all in the mindset and what you do and don't want to believe in!

Personally, I believe that if you throw away/ignore all the bounds made to you by the public (eg; You will go to hell if you don't go to church every Sunday), the life you live will be one that YOU shape, not the media, nor religion.

Yeah, Christianity believes in a hell, but that's different from it saying "follow these rules or you go to hell".

nah, your right....i mean Christianity would never have something like that...the 10 commandments dont really play a large part in the lives of your average church-going Christian...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by LoudMusic
So in other words, you guys are experiencing "growing up"?

(:

exactly. and growing up sucks:lol:

seriously though i believe what my mind tells me is true

Originally posted by Tercel_driver
The media bombards you with tons of crap.
Exactly.
I havent watched more than 12 hours of TV in the last 6 months (not counting ad-free cartoons on my computer). The generic and sensationalist news, the ads, and the warped perception of what is "reality" that the TV and particularly the news presents just pisses me off. I'd rather get my news from the fringe of what is commonly seen from a source like fark.com rather than being force-fed that bullcr*p with the masses. I you base reality on what you see on TV it is likely that realy life will feel like you are coasting through some distant and rather unrealistic life. [/end slightly off-topic rant]

...Religion tells you to be exactly like a certain type of person or you go to hell...

Precisely why I hate religion. You have to conform your entire life to something you can't grasp. On the other hand, I'm a good Christian man; and I don't have any bit of a problem with it. That's a paradox and a half, isn't it? You see, I don't follow the Christian Religion; for me, religion is all show and no go. Then how am I Christian? Simple. I just know God and read the Bible; that's all it takes.

Ok, done with that sidebar...

Originally posted by TurboSmoke
nah, your right....i mean Christianity would never have something like that...the 10 commandments dont really play a large part in the lives of your average church-going Christian...:rolleyes:

No, they're not. No one really follows them anymore, unless you're a part of the religious clergy or just choose to be very Christian.

Keep in mind also, that the Church isn't the same it was 100 years ago. Remember when eating meat on a Friday was a nasty sin? :)

And it still doesn't say "follow the ten commandments or go to hell" anywhere.

Originally posted by milefile
Belief is overrated. Happiness and fulfillment are the journey and the destination, and belief is not necessary for either.

Do you truly believe that?

The media bombards you with tons of crap. Religion tells you to be exactly like a certain type of person or you go to hell, society pressures you to have any definite role or you dont deserve to be called a person.

As it says on the topic, I believe this whole crap is just a nightmare. I think then you actually get to discover what is life, you die and wake up.

Sorry if it sounds weird.

wow your now just gettin there?
heres some help, stop caring about other people out side your inner circle, and even they cant judge you.
religion is for people who cant make their own beliefs.
as for the whole discovering life then dying thing, sounds like some goth/suicidal thing. well all know thats not true. you die THEN you figure out what life is, duh ;)

Originally posted by regulate
wow your now just gettin there?
heres some help, stop caring about other people out side your inner circle, and even they cant judge you.
religion is for people who cant make their own beliefs.
as for the whole discovering life then dying thing, sounds like some goth/suicidal thing. well all know thats not true. you die THEN you figure out what life is, duh ;)

I really liked that sentence about religion. I mean, religion is so strict on its own principles that it leaves you little to no space to think and respond.

Last semester I took astronomy class and it really made me think about this whole "god-created-everything" issue.

Back