I need help and or tips for this game

• Thread starter Sonic_X49
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
Sonic_X49
So I used to be pretty fast on GT5 and GT6 but ever since Sport I have been nowhere in the leagues I race in only finishing below top 5 out of say 12 to 14 people. Would say average finish 7th with only 4th on good days when there is crashes or other things.
But I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm not sure what I can do to fix this and get faster.
To sum up what my settings are just incase it's car control

Wheel
CSL Elite PS4
CSL Elite brakes
Forcefeedback 3 in game

Assists
Only ABS
No driving line
No markers or cone

Most of the leagues I race in ban tuning also and have tyre wear at 5 times as it's only 30 min races.
Any help is appreciated and stay safe everyone

I have the feeling that the field is generally tougher now. Also for GT Sport now as compared to GT Sport 2 years ago.

My specific tip request would be: How to best handle the low speed corners/chicanes?
The low speed physics/behaviour seems pretty weird to me. How a race car can get out of balance at 60-80km/h is beyond me. Yes, the kerbs and sausages. But even on two wheels there should be a lot of grip.

The car cannot create enough downforce to 'stick' it to the ground.

That really only applies to F1 and LMP type cars, the vast majority of cars do not produce enough downforce to have a huge effect on cornering. The majority rely on suspension tuning and tire selection for cornering grip.

It takes practice but practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent. I’d look at the driving school linked above from Tidgney and also study the fundamentals of race driving from a real world perspective (books)
You have to have a concept to put into practice imo, understanding tires is a start...
I just think from a perspective of trying to learn to race faster or do anything better you should know what it is you’re trying to do. The fundamentals. From there yep, practice.

It takes practice but practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent. I’d look at the driving school linked above from Tidgney and also study the fundamentals of race driving from a real world perspective (books)
You have to have a concept to put into practice imo, understanding tires is a start...
I just think from a perspective of trying to learn to race faster or do anything better you should know what it is you’re trying to do. The fundamentals. From there yep, practice.

I think the thing that makes it tough on a video game is that the normal clues we get thru the seat of our pants when driving a real car do not apply here. All of our inputs are determined from visual clues rather than "butt clues" and also the sensation of speed is difficult to capture from only visual clues. Developers try to help with force feedback but unless my Fanatec is set up terribly wrong it really does not come close to the real sensation you get while lapping a car at speed, not to mention the time delay between your driving inputs and the video we see. I have an extremely hard time catching slides in the game compared to real life. I think the game can help a driver in the real world but on the other I dont think real world experience helps much in the game. Same goes with tuning, it seems like the tuning changes are all very subtle in the game and some of the tuning changes are not logical.

I was DOG slow for like a month when i forst got the game, simply could not adapt as it is a VERY different experience to project Cars. In the end, the key is mid corner speed, I was way, way too slow and had to learn to carry an extra 5 or 10kmh mid corner.

I think the thing that makes it tough on a video game is that the normal clues we get thru the seat of our pants when driving a real car do not apply here. All of our inputs are determined from visual clues rather than "butt clues" and also the sensation of speed is difficult to capture from only visual clues. Developers try to help with force feedback but unless my Fanatec is set up terribly wrong it really does not come close to the real sensation you get while lapping a car at speed, not to mention the time delay between your driving inputs and the video we see. I have an extremely hard time catching slides in the game compared to real life. I think the game can help a driver in the real world but on the other I dont think real world experience helps much in the game. Same goes with tuning, it seems like the tuning changes are all very subtle in the game and some of the tuning changes are not logical.

Hmm, well I don’t bother tuning.
But, I had no experience in driving racing games as I mentioned before...
Sure lots of real world driving-not in actual races on track in racecars tho.
I got curious. I read Alain Prost book when I was like 14-15? Before getting my license because I like F1 back in the day.
So I searched around and found Ross Bentley book-a certain one.
I used that books info as my concept, and started practicing and racing GTS but with s new understanding. Now, nothing comes all at once but there were definitely times when I would be doing qual laps and BING light bulb! That’s what he was writing about would get in my head.
Without that basis of real world I would probably just be struggling along in this game way off pace...
I don’t find a delay or lack of proper visual, but my screens set at a pretty close to correct fov, catching slides very natural. The ffb is extremely informative and gives everything imo. Grip balance of the car suspension loading...
To me it’s pretty durn natural. I realize not everyone has screen in good position relative to wheel for cockpit view tho.
But yes no sim gives butt feel. You get the info from audio visual cues and ffb.
The info there is really really good tho once you put in the time.
To me this game rewards fundamentally sound inputs.
So first figure out what that means, then practice the concept consciously. Next it becomes intuitive.
Let’s face it we are mostly male here.
Every male inherently believes they are Gods gift to driving.
In reality in truth without experience or study we are very ignorant in terms of true competition driving in purpose built racecars, or let’s say 99 percent of us are.
I will say nothing comes easily and that includes skill in a game.
But, with some fundamentals, one can find improvement and an extremely rewarding experience...It doesn’t matter if someone’s E D or A or S, a little bit of light bulb, little bit better, gaining a couple tenths, it’s rewarding.
If it were easy it’d be a bore.
Imo most males have a big ego and that ego tends to write checks their body can’t cash.
To the question re slow speed corners, you gotta be specific. What exact corner car and tire. What input method etc.
Just asking that kind of indicates to me that the person asking needs to focus in on more detail. That question is not specific enough to provide any relevant response.

Last edited:
Hmm, well I don’t bother tuning.
But, I had no experience in driving racing games as I mentioned before...
Sure lots of real world driving-not in actual races on track in racecars tho.
I got curious. I read Alain Prost book when I was like 14-15? Before getting my license because I like F1 back in the day.
So I searched around and found Ross Bentley book-a certain one.
I used that books info as my concept, and started practicing and racing GTS but with s new understanding. Now, nothing comes all at once but there were definitely times when I would be doing qual laps and BING light bulb! That’s what he was writing about would get in my head.
Without that basis of real world I would probably just be struggling along in this game way off pace...
I don’t find a delay or lack of proper visual, but my screens set at a pretty close to correct fov, catching slides very natural. The ffb is extremely informative and gives everything imo. Grip balance of the car suspension loading...
To me it’s pretty durn natural. I realize not everyone has screen in good position relative to wheel for cockpit view tho.
But yes no sim gives butt feel. You get the info from audio visual cues and ffb.
The info there is really really good tho once you put in the time.
To me this game rewards fundamentally sound inputs.
So first figure out what that means, then practice the concept consciously. Next it becomes intuitive.
Let’s face it we are mostly male here.
Every male inherently believes they are Gods gift to driving.
In reality in truth without experience or study we are very ignorant in terms of true competition driving in purpose built racecars, or let’s say 99 percent of us are.
I will say nothing comes easily and that includes skill in a game.
But, with some fundamentals, one can find improvement and an extremely rewarding experience...It doesn’t matter if someone’s E D or A or S, a little bit of light bulb, little bit better, gaining a couple tenths, it’s rewarding.
If it were easy it’d be a bore.
Imo most males have a big ego and that ego tends to write checks their body can’t cash.
To the question re slow speed corners, you gotta be specific. What exact corner car and tire. What input method etc.
Just asking that kind of indicates to me that the person asking needs to focus in on more detail. That question is not specific enough to provide any relevant response.

As far as my FOV I have a 65" tv and my eyeballs are about 48" from the screen, that's as close as I could get them without changing my rig or a new tv stand. Compared to a real life race car I feel behind the car all the time in GTS, I need to turn in earlier than I expect and I also do not feel big differences in brake bias adjustment. I have Fanatec V3 load cell pedals, I made several mounting adjustments to get my pedal at a good vertical angle in my rig which seats you like you expect to sit in a real car. It seems Fanatec made the pedal angle to work with a desk and a chair moreso than a rig. I noticed that if you rely on ABS too much it will increase your stopping distance, ABS in GTS does not operate like real ABS but rather some kind of hybrid system designed for a video game. I can usually run pretty close to my regular ABS default times when turning ABS completely off, although I usually rely on ABS in game because irregular track surfaces will catch you out sometimes.

noticed that if you rely on ABS too much it will increase your stopping distance,

Yep yep, absolutely. Plus the initial bite, with load cell if you slam100 percent you’ll have some lock until abs kicks in and by then on many tracks you are on a bad slope by then for grip, but ramp it in smoothly and you get what you want. With headphones or surround sound you hear what tire is slipping if any that tells you about the cars attitude...
Braking is actually quite nuanced in gts I’m finding.
As to your point about feeling behind the car I find nine times outta ten that is a mistake that gets me too. Little too late on the steering, then from there it’s no good.
Being late on the wheel causes all manner of problems. Ideally gotta be furthest turn at apex, unwinding out for most corners.
Interestingly that’s key to being able to run well with tcs on. Tcs kicking on in this game is telling you a lot about steering input mistakes...
Back to braking though the way the cars balance is dealt with and controlled throughout the entry is very very very nuanced, Quite a bit there to get right.
I don’t race gt cars so don’t know how their abs is to drive, but for example on weak setting you get finer control over the cars balance coming off brake, and also on the initial bite, then 90-95 percent gives you quiet braking with no squealing.
I run no abs a few laps from time to time, tbh not much because in race you have slipstream, varying downforce conditions, reacting to others etc etc.
I find my times always slower no abs except the kart. Abs is garbage mode on the kart just like tcs imo. The karts way way faster everything OFF.
Imo braking in this game at release was just slam pedal to 100 percent but since all these updates it isn’t anymore.
Like at release it was so dumb the way the cars would turn in like they were on rails regardless of balance or speed, imo they had background help turned on and slowly have weaned the player base off that as everyone improves on average.
Jmo.
Also obviously on tv you gotta make sure the settings are set to minimum input lag for that tv.
A guy just told me other night he sat down, started racin and couldn’t do anything well, after a couple races he realized tv was out of game mode...Said out of game mode he didn’t feel control.
Braking you gotta think what is the purpose?
Is it stop the car as fast as possible or is it adjusting the speed of the car?
Kinda both maybe, as well as setting the balance of the car too depending on how you blend coming off with steering input as well as taking into account the cars position on track be it cambered or sloped up or down...Braking is a whole world of nuance in GTS when combined with everything else going on to hit the maximum possible entry and apex speed combined with maximum exit speed.
There’s many variables in the GTS equation.
Plus thinking of the depth look at the times...
There’s more than one way to get them...

Last edited:
Yep yep, absolutely. Plus the initial bite, with load cell if you slam100 percent you’ll have some lock until abs kicks in and by then on many tracks you are on a bad slope by then for grip, but ramp it in smoothly and you get what you want. With headphones or surround sound you hear what tire is slipping if any that tells you about the cars attitude...
Braking is actually quite nuanced in gts I’m finding.
As to your point about feeling behind the car I find nine times outta ten that is a mistake that gets me too. Little too late on the steering, then from there it’s no good.
Being late on the wheel causes all manner of problems. Ideally gotta be furthest turn at apex, unwinding out for most corners.
Interestingly that’s key to being able to run well with tcs on. Tcs kicking on in this game is telling you a lot about steering input mistakes...
Back to braking though the way the cars balance is dealt with and controlled throughout the entry is very very very nuanced, Quite a bit there to get right.
I don’t race gt cars so don’t know how their abs is to drive, but for example on weak setting you get finer control over the cars balance coming off brake, and also on the initial bite, then 90-95 percent gives you quiet braking with no squealing.
I run no abs a few laps from time to time, tbh not much because in race you have slipstream, varying downforce conditions, reacting to others etc etc.
I find my times always slower no abs except the kart. Abs is garbage mode on the kart just like tcs imo. The karts way way faster everything OFF.
Imo braking in this game at release was just slam pedal to 100 percent but since all these updates it isn’t anymore.
Like at release it was so dumb the way the cars would turn in like they were on rails regardless of balance or speed, imo they had background help turned on and slowly have weaned the player base off that as everyone improves on average.
Jmo.
Also obviously on tv you gotta make sure the settings are set to minimum input lag for that tv.
A guy just told me other night he sat down, started racin and couldn’t do anything well, after a couple races he realized tv was out of game mode...Said out of game mode he didn’t feel control.
Braking you gotta think what is the purpose?
Is it stop the car as fast as possible or is it adjusting the speed of the car?
Kinda both maybe, as well as setting the balance of the car too depending on how you blend coming off with steering input as well as taking into account the cars position on track be it cambered or sloped up or down...Braking is a whole world of nuance in GTS when combined with everything else going on to hit the maximum possible entry and apex speed combined with maximum exit speed.
There’s many variables in the GTS equation.
Plus thinking of the depth look at the times...
There’s more than one way to get them...

Yeah, one could spend a lot of time driving different cars and learning their nuance . I notice some cars trail brake really, really nice, like the car almost takes its self to the apex when you get speed and brake pressure correct, others not so much unless it's a brake balance thing that I have not discovered yet. Usually to set my BB I will run laps with ABS off to get braking between front and rear equal then switch over to Default ABS. I will have to look into my tv to make sure I am in game mode, hopefully that's my problem.

Yeah, one could spend a lot of time driving different cars and learning their nuance . I notice some cars trail brake really, really nice, like the car almost takes its self to the apex when you get speed and brake pressure correct, others not so much unless it's a brake balance thing that I have not discovered yet. Usually to set my BB I will run laps with ABS off to get braking between front and rear equal then switch over to Default ABS. I will have to look into my tv to make sure I am in game mode, hopefully that's my problem.

I run bb0 and try to give the car what it seems to need rather than try to adjust the car.
I just get the most even tire wear this way. Jmo ymmv
The differences in braking to balance the car can be subtle, but for myself I’ve never found better luck yet running weird bb..

I run bb0 and try to give the car what it seems to need rather than try to adjust the car.
I just get the most even tire wear this way. Jmo ymmv
The differences in braking to balance the car can be subtle, but for myself I’ve never found better luck yet running weird bb..

Yeah, I think the most I ever get from nuetral is +/-2. For example I really like the GR4 Citroen but it will lock the rear brakes at every corner and slide if you do not move it forward slightly.

Back