I Rode my first Bike EVAR

• Thread starter Thatman
  • 52 comments
okay what about:I think all it needs is to charge the battery( I have it taken out) and drain the carbs, maybe clean them? I bought it about 5 years ago and rode it less and less each year. It has around 20,000 miles if I remember right which is relatively low for these bikes. Lot's of VFR owners out there have 50,000 + on this age of bike. There's a nice VFR forum and website if you google it .

I had it on craigslist at the beginning of last summer(2008) for $2950 OBO

I paid $3175 for the bike and another $425 (ebay)for the optional clock and seat cowl (covers up passenger seat) which are very rare.
vfr.jpg

thoughts?

I've had one of those - a superb bike. Geared cam-drive rather than chain. A bullet-proof engine that'll do 100,000+ let alone 50,000. With as little as 20,000 miles the suspension is likely to still be in good nick, and from that photo it looks like a minter. I'd offer him $2,000 for it, and not pay more than 2,500.

However (and this is a big however), as a first bike, with no experience, it'll chew your face off.

I'd say your best bet would be something like a ZXR250 Ninja. You'll get a very recent one for not much money and can learn to ride a bike to its limit without scaring the bejesus out of yourself everytime you open the throttle.

My best ever bike was an NC30, or VFR400RR. I had it long after I'd written off it's 750cc big brother you picture above (on my second ever lap of the Ring), and after many years riding, I was still getting more and more out of it.

Anyway, I'm going to start sounding like a stuck record soon. I'll just say this - think big, but start small.

I see, well I'll see what he says, but isnt the point of a bike to scare the bejesus out of me every-time i hit the throttle? If I could I would most definitely get a car that does that. But until im REALLY confident i wouldn't take it past 80mph(starting out). Not only that(and im not trying to argue) but I want a bike that I can continue pushing until im really good. And yes I completely understand that cycles are nothing like cars but,but, If I had started with a car with power I dont think I would have my RX7 because It would have still been adequate. And now with 60 more horsepower I still want more.(though the turns are way better and its RWD) Either way I respect your advice but If hes up to it I might take it. Thanks for your input again BTW.👍

The VFR is one of the best bikes ever made by Honda!

2 friends os mine have that model VFR one in black and another in white, and this bikes have the best engine ever made in durability, great handling, brakes etc...

One of them ride is VFR + than 1 year with no exhaust due a little accident, he push to the limit the 750 engine . . . guess what, is VFR still working like a clock!

Try to do that in other motorcycles!

Everyone has their own reasons for riding bikes, and all anyone can do is give opinions based on their own experience. Ultraflow is right in that you're unlikely to find anything more durable, and it is a machine that will pretty much do anything.

I'd recommend doing as many classes as you can, the best one I've ever done being Keith Code's California Superbike School. There's bound to be one at a track near you at some point. It's quite expensive, but the confidence it'll give you on the bike, and the technique you'll gain is worth every cent.

I hope that VFR works out for you. I wish I still had mine.

Oh yeah I think Ill definetly try to do track days, there was someone I was speaking to that said there are a few up in the twin cities for free! Though I dont think he is biting on my offer of $2700 :(

no for one of two reasons, I have yet to get my permit for riding cycles and take a look at how far I found out he lives from me....
longdrive-1.jpg

Good grief, and that's the same state? Living in England we forget just how big pretty much everywhere else is.

Hmm, perhaps you should find something a little nearer? :)

So when do you get your permit? Wouldn't it make sense to have it in your hand before you start making offers on bikes? At the very least I'd want to test ride something before making an offer. Not easy though when it's over 8 hours away :ill:

By the way, is that THE Fargo from the Coen Bros film I see on the map there - one of my favourite films of all time 👍

Ya. Dat's Fargo fershure!

Oh, yeah. Here's a post I made some time ago on one of my motorcycle forums for some Germans that were asking for route advice on a trip here next summer. I just wanted to make sure they understood that riding across the US is not like riding across Germany and Fance to italy, or something like that. This is a pair of screen captures from Google Earth, without changing the zoom.

Europe-on-USA.jpg

That's awesome wfooshee, thanks - really helps put things in perspective. When you consider the cultural differences that exist within Europe, it seems incredible that Americans are thought of as one people.

DAMN! I'm going to buy a new car saturday and that's a 2 hour drive, I thought that was a far drive.. (I live in the Netherlands). Seeing this picture, I now think it's nothing haha!

The first moto I've driven was an Aprilia RSV1000 R, that was pretty scary. I do not have my license yet but I'm planning on getting it next year..

Me on the RSV a few months ago (2years later since my first ride on it)
577875101_6_CUlq.jpeg

It's a V2, pretty hard to ride it 'clean'.. I've also driven a Kawasaki Z750 that day, much more comfortable and nicer to drive!
577878282_6_1Y_k.jpeg

I'm only 18 years old so I got planty of time to enjoy moto riding in the future =D

That's awesome wfooshee, thanks - really helps put things in perspective. When you consider the cultural differences that exist within Europe, it seems incredible that Americans are thought of as one people.

Yeah, we did a 2hr drive to get my Rx7 and I might just do it again to get a actual CF hood. But here we still divide up ourselves fairly well for example:The old game duck duck goose....that's duck duck gray duck in MN. But the reason I was making offers was because I didn't think I would be riding until summer anyways as well as im turning 21 in about a month. Though I guess I don't know how long you have to have your permit anyways :ouch:

Another distance note: London to Baghdad is a smaller distance than Miami to Seattle.

And not many Americans think of Americans as one people. :)

Hey I got my PERMIT TODAY!!!! Im thinking of a 92 Yamaha FZR 600 21 k on it and Yoshimaru Exhausts plus never laid down for $1500 or so? Sound good?

Yeah it was awesome, im pleased with my decision 10 fold. :)
101_3182.jpg
101_3183.jpg
101_3184.jpg

I think It fits me great!
101_3187.jpg

I feel really comfortable riding it, went on the highway and took a lot of nice gentle turns. I did however rev it to 11k once, I honestly think that this bike will last me for a decent amount of time. Though I didnt know they had reserve tanks....Ether way, Happy to be a rider.

Btw:1992 Yamaha FZR 600

Looks like its in good shape 👍
Not trying to sound like an ass, but I hope those aren't the clothes you are going to ride in, right ?

Not a bad first bike at all 👍

I've ran out of petrol more times than I'd care to admit by leaving the tap on reserve and having to push it to a petrol station, 200kg uphill is not easy!!!

I've got a pretty nasty scar on my knee from falling off in jeans so get some decent gear, you'll be more comfortable and other bikers will treat you like their own as well.

Take it easy mate and enjoy 👍

Yeah, thats definitely up on the list of things to get is riding gear. :P But thanks. 👍

Did somebody paint it like that on purpose, or did it get lost with the parade equipment for St. Patrick's day? :D

I'm not real fond of the flat black on (part of) the frame, but it's not my bike so it doesn't matter.

I know you've been aching to get something, so good on you for waiting till something rideable came along! Some (all?) of the others you've posted about were real losers! Hopefully this one stays real well for ya! My brother's got a fizzer 600, mid '90s, with the two round headlights. Always liked riding it! 👍

I may be preaching to the choir, but I am going to preach on this. Bear with me.

Gear. GOOD gear. Including pants. Jeans are useless as protection when pavement surfing, and raw skin that results from sliding on pavement is treated as burns. Painful, slow to heal, maybe requiring grafts, and very prone to infection.

[Real-life scare story]A local kid died recently from the infections he developed in the burn center after his accident. He had no life-threatening injuries other than skin loss, and probably would have walked away, even gotten back on and ridden away, if he'd been properly geared up.[/Real-life scare story]

Regular shoes or sneakers are less than useless if you get knocked off the bike. If you low-side your foot will get caught under the bike, the shoe will be torn off by the bike or the road, and your foot will be ground down to bone. Besides, nothing is as embarrassing as pulling up to the light and catching your laces on the peg when trying to put your foot down. Foot never reaches the pavement, bike already leaning, BOOM!! In front of everybody there you were hoping would notice the really cool kid on the bike. Also, regular shoes offer no ankle protection, and a good stiff boot with ankle armor may keep your foot bones connected to your leg bones some day.

In the pic you have a full-face, but don't even think about going with an open-face helmet. More than half of head impacts in street motorcycle accidents are facial. Think about it. You low-side, you're going down face-first, front or side of your body hits the ground. You run wide in a turn and hit the aarmco or a tree or a pole. What part of your body is first to get there when the bike suddenly stops but you don't? I'm alive today because of a helmet, and I can still speak clearly and chew my own food because it was a full-face lid.

I've been down twice and have never lost any skin. I've had some bruises and a sprain, but those are easy. Skin is soft, comes off easy, and comes back VERY slowly.

Seriously. Set aside at least 500 bucks for jacket, pants, boots, and gloves. You've already got a helmet. In my neck of the woods (Florida) I wear mesh for the heat, you might get away with fabric or leather. Fabric will be cheaper, but leather with protect way better.

I hear guys say 500 bucks!!! Geez, that's a lot of gas money!!! Well, it's cheaper than a few weeks in a burn ward!!! LOTS cheaper.

Lastly, everyone says "Well, I'm not gonna crash. I know what I'm doing."

Well, so did I, right up until I hit that sandy patch in the road while leaned over left.

I just wonder how many of those guys in hospital beds knew they were gonna crash that day, and how many of them knew they weren't?

Lastly, TRAINING. Take an MSF basic rider course. You WILL learn some things, things that may save your (or someone else's) life. You do NOT know everything there is to know about riding a motorcycle, even if you've been riding dirt bikes since you were 10. MSF is now required in FL for a motorcycle endorsement on your license, I don't know about MN. Also in FL, you CANNOT ride a motorcycle (legally) without the endorsement.

Like I said, gear; pretty much top priority. at the very least like tomorrow i should be getting a jacket. And trust me I had a full face helmet idea from the beginning. Oh and my mum, she had a scare story that would have been fixed by a jacket too:P

And as far as courses are concerned... no you dont need it but it is highly recommended and you get money off your insurance.

there we go:
101_3232.jpg

And yes I know jeans and shoes are not the way to go. Ill get there.

Back