I suck so bad.

bleakerthanyou
It's entirely probable that I haven't spent enough time with GT5P. I've had the game since it came out and beat the first two classes with a controller...then I didn't play for a long time and recently picked up a G27...and theres still 5 class A events left and I seem pretty hopeless. I sat down yesterday and figured I'd start trying to get the hang of drifting but I quickly realized I should probably learn to drive first...period.
At this point A8 seems impossible even to get 3rd since I can't manage to place at all. I suppose I could give it a shot with a controller again but I'm pretty determined to get the hang of gt physics with the wheel before the final game comes out.
It probably also doesn't help that I just spent like two weeks playing GRiD, the transition from which is absolutely awful.

With over $300 invested in a new wheel, do yourself a favor and never touch the controller for racing. You'll get back up to speed in 2 weeks.

Sincerely,

A reformed G25 GT5P player and Forza 2&3 with Xbox wheel.

haha, you'll definately get there. Also, try to stick with GT for your racing needs, switching back and forth from Grid isn't something i'd recommend. Also, find a car that suits you, i suggest the Nissan GT-R '07, and i'm sure many people here would also recommend.

PS, I haven't got a wheel, and was thinking of purchasing one for the full release, but i'm on a very tight budget, so the G25s and G27s are out of my price range, is it still worth buying something like a driving force EX?

I just picked up a G27 about 2 weeks ago. I started off by running laps in TT mode with the RX-7 on professional settings. I did this for the first 5 days and tried my best to avoid jumping around to different cars. I forced myself to learn how to handle the RX-7 and to avoid spinning out. Practice Practice Practice.

Once you become more comfortable with the wheel try jumping into the class races. Start with the beginning class and rework your way through the events. It's fun and will pay off. No need to jump into heated races with a new setup. Take your time to learn the difference between the wheel and a controller.

Practice practice practice and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Any of the Logitech wheels would be a good buy, but naturally the more you spend, the better experience you'll get.

It's probably also worth mentioning that I went from using assists in Grid to playing GT5P on pro with all assists off. But from what I've been reading on this forum, thats the way to go...and I'd rather have a steep learning curve now than have to ween myself off of assists at a later time.

haha, you'll definately get there. Also, try to stick with GT for your racing needs, switching back and forth from Grid isn't something i'd recommend. Also, find a car that suits you, i suggest the Nissan GT-R '07, and i'm sure many people here would also recommend.

PS, I haven't got a wheel, and was thinking of purchasing one for the full release, but i'm on a very tight budget, so the G25s and G27s are out of my price range, is it still worth buying something like a driving force EX?

An EX is maybe a bit old but you can't go wrong with a DFpro or a DFGT.

cheers, anyone know what the sequential shift's like on the DFGT? Looks a bit awkward...

I enjoy the paddle shifters on the dfgt (its not a paddle its just angled buttons) more than i do the sequential shifters, keeps my hands on the wheel. The sequential isnt awkward, it works but it doesnt let your mind think youre in the game since its not in the right spot and the physics are all wrong.

I'm the same. Having trouble getting used to the G27 from the DS3 but I am slowly getting better. But not as good as my DS3 times yet.

Making a cockpit with reversed pedals really helps. I have only used it twice since I built it in the weekend but I have improved alot. But in saying that I had only used the G27 and GT5P about 5-6 times since I bought it 1 month ago. :lol:

To be totally honest, I think that i won't get a wheel, for 2 main reasons. To get a relatively high quality, 900degree wheel, its around £70, and also, i don't really have the space to set it up on a desk, so i think i'll save my money and get the collectors edition of GT5 instead 👍

Thanks for your advice everyone :)

Speaking from my own experience...I recieved the G27 as a gift about a year ago and it didn't get much play at first because of the huge PITA of clearing a space on my desk and then dealing with cable management...all for only a short play time before I needed to use my desk for more pressing matters. Last weekend...I went ahead and spent 100 bucks and built a simul8r replica cockpit out of pvc and some wood...and I must say it was a smart move. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out and has enhanced the racing experience 10fold. If you have a little space and the nagging urge for a good wheel, you can't go wrong with the G27 and the pvc cockpit.

I have a G27 and I could't picture playing this game with anything else! I also have mine mounted on a playseat Evolution so it is nice and sturdy. As for playing GT the clutch and H shifter adds loads to the experience! I can't say it enough save up for the g27and get a good place to mount it. Once you do that I swear you will be in another planet of fun!

My desk is about 1/8th of an inch too thick for my wheel. Anyone have any suggestions? May be modify it somehow to make it fit. I'm so bummed out :(

I got my G27 some days ago and like most people say here, it adds another dimension to driving. I used to have a cheap wheel for my PS2 and GT3, but this is a whole new thing. As far as my experience go with the wheel I'd say that there's a learning period, but once you're past it, you'll perform much better with the wheel than with a controller.

The precision of the throttle and turning makes cornering much easier with some practice. Sure, it's much less forgiving if you screw up, but that obligates you to become a better driver.

Back