I think the AI drivers gets penalties too.

• Thread starter larrymags
  • 34 comments
So I'm doing the rally series now and on both George Paris and Chamonix I noticed something odd.

In the Paris Rally (Not sure if it was Hard or Normal) I was pitted against a Subaru Spec C. In one corner I braked late and passed on the outside. He then hit my rear bumper and I slammed headfirst into the wall.

Then as I was waiting out my 5 sec penalty I noticed soemthing odd. He stayed exactly behind me. Not doing anything or even trying to pass me or even speed up. Then one second before my penalty elapsed I heard his engine come to life but so did mine the next second.

Odd.

So I checked the replay and watched from the AI's cockpit with his display on.

During the sequence described above, his car was acting like he was under a penalty. Rev's were limited and he was just driving along slowly like we would while waiting out a penalty. Then his engine roared to life suddenly.

I thought nothing of it really until I went to the ice rally at Chamonix. Then it happened again. I went into a corner too hot and rammed both my car and the AI into the wall.

The AI again stayed behind me not accelerating or trying to pass me while I waited out my penalty. His engine sounded limited and then it suddenly came to life again.

I forgot to check the replay because I was excited about my price car (Lancia Stratos 77 - wooooo!).

Don't get me wrong, I get a lot of penalties doing rallies, but these two instances made me think.

Thoughts?

Very odd situation... Never experienced it myself. Were you blocking his immediate way? (Remember, AI use that preset path, and possibly you were in it.)

What version of the game d'you got?

Could happen, makes sence... If he bumps you he could get a 5 sec penalty right? Well, I'll see what will happen if he bumps my rear end really fast. Just stop after a turn, wait for him and see what happens when he hits you at full speed.
-TD

I havn't seen this happen to me yet, but I'm thinking it has to be a pretty hard slam for the AI to get a penalty (if this indeed can happen).

My B-Spec guy does something like this when he get's behind other cars. It let's off the gas and kinda coasts for a few seconds then suddenly he get's the balls to stomp on it.

I've had the AI smash me in the special conditions events and he never has to slow down which is an aggitating double standard.

I doubt what you saw was a penalty. Probably just the AI forgeting it was driving for a few seconds.

Not true.

The first rally reverse (the tight tarmac one - can't remember the name) there is an uphill section. If you go too fast you get airborne. The AI get airborne every time and then scoot off.

If I get airborne I hit the side and get a penalty.

It is like wall riding in the air but because you can not control the angle of the car you always hit the wall.

AI clearly gets no penalty even with the same trajectory as us.

I agree with Larry. Last night I raced in the same series and was watching the AI race. Everytime they hit a wall or me they received a penaltly

The AI does NOT get penalties. They can ram you as hard as they wish and send you into a wall and you will get a penalty, not them. They can rear-end you and you will recieve the penalty. They can cut you off and clip you in the front end and you will get the penalty. They can ram into the wall as much as they want with no penalty yet if you tap the wall just a tad you will get a penalty.

i had that in mission 10. took the first 2 cars on the first chicane then the last one on the straight before the last corner. he slammed into me and just sat back...

on a previous attempt I took the second car on the first chicane but hit him while passing but still managed to get ahead, so i blocked him for the 5 secs :D of course i couldnt catch the first car tho...

i don't think so. i'm pretty sure they just do the "safe-pass-but-not-ramming-you", which means if they cant get by, they'll just slam on the brakes and ride your tail until they can pass

Allnighte
i don't think so. i'm pretty sure they just do the "safe-pass-but-not-ramming-you", which means if they cant get by, they'll just slam on the brakes and ride your tail until they can pass
nope. they drop thier speed. its a certainty!
100% sure bout this.

trust me, i work in a library!

gumpy
Not true.

The first rally reverse (the tight tarmac one - can't remember the name) there is an uphill section. If you go too fast you get airborne. The AI get airborne every time and then scoot off.

You are wrong. The AI does get a penalty there. It just depends on how hard he hits the wall and which part of the car touches the wall. I drove the hard version of the track yesterday and the peugot rally car was going pretty fast when he hit that bump and got a penalty. I know for sure 'cause I was just slightly behind in my S2000. It was a tight race (around 130 A-spec points) and I needed him to mess up in order to pass him.

The AI does get penalties. However, I'm not sure that they get them as easily.

I thought that my game had a bug when I was racing the first rally in reverse. Nearing the finish line, I did a "daring" overtake maneuver, losing control and cutting the AI opponent. Just as I was straightining out my car (good thing I didn't hit the AI car or the wall), the AI car hit me hard, of course boosting my speed a bit, but surprisingly, the AI car slowed down to a crawl, and I won the race comfortably.

I replayed the same race, did the same thing at about the same place on the track and got the same result.

If the AI does get penalties then I wouldn't mind them so much. I've never seen any evidence of this myself, but it is very possible that this is the case. I still have plenty of the rally events left to do, so I will set up some a test to test this theory.

Being able to view the replay from inside their car is very handy, and helps to prove this point.

Cheers, Jamie

Well on George, Paris the incident happened on the back parts with the multiple turns so it is very tight back there. I did try to block him off by weaving a bit and then I just noticed he was staying in a straight line behind me and even when I stopped weaving he didn't try anything.

The thing that made me think he got a penalty was the replay. His car stayed on a certain RPM like ours would be if we got the penalty. Then his car came to life suddenly like ours would when the penalty is over. Then mine came to life a second after which would make sense since he hit me first which caused me to hit the wall.

The 2nd incident on Chamonix (reverse) happened in the back of the course as well in one of the last icy turns. In this instance there was plenty of room for him to pass me but he just stayed there. I should have checked the replay on that one as well.

Even if the AI does get penalties they sure get it far less than we do.

I see where Larrymags is coming from. I experienced similar situation in the Alpine Rally event. Either the penalty for the AI is confined to Rally events (I have never seen this elsewhere) or it is something to do with the way the programme is written, ie restarting after crashing in the Rally stages takes longer than elsewhere.

Steven

Darts
The AI defenatley doen't get penalty's cause alot off people would have noticed it.

I'm inclined to side with Darts, and others on this one. I've been reared numerous times by the AI and recieved the penalty for it, while they zoom off. Where possible I try to keep on the racing line and block the AI car behind me - this is all that seems to slow them down.

I'm gonna stick to this story until I see Larry, or someone from that end of the debate post a replay proving otherwise.

TankSpanker
I'm inclined to side with Darts, and others on this one. I've been reared numerous times by the AI and recieved the penalty for it, while they zoom off. Where possible I try to keep on the racing line and block the AI car behind me - this is all that seems to slow them down.

I'm gonna stick to this story until I see Larry, or someone from that end of the debate post a replay proving otherwise.

Yeah, too bad I didn't save the replay, my memory card is becoming too full with photomode pics! Haha!

I'm trying to complete the rally races and win every rally car I can get so if it happens again.... well, I don't even know where to begin to post a video. Can you get it directly off of the memory card?

And like I said, even if it does happen then it happens so infrequently to the AI car that it's really unfair.

I for one would love to see rally racing like it is on WRC. Where you race against the clock not against another opponent at the same time. Maybe, as an incentive you can "see" your opponent's car via a ghost so you know if you are doing well or not.

You may all be right, but fwiw when I did the Alpine Rally the AI car went off without any help from me and I gained like 10secs which seemed more than just my brilliant (;-)) driving. I am inclined to think it is not the AI getting penalties because surely PD wouldn't have done it just for Rally races. Guess the AI car sometimes has problems getting back on track.

Steven

Actually I think I have an answer, its because the AI sucks. A few times on track I have messed up, got back on track and thought the AI car coming up behind would overtake me. I take the racing line (you know the 'tram' line that the AI uses) and even though going much slower than the AI he stays behind me because he will not move off line unless on a straight.

Steven

Yes, too prevent a crash, first you guys are complaining about ramming, now about that they are careful.

Remember : it takes alot of speed difference and a good overtaking position to overtake!!

Back