I thought we were getting Safety Cars?

Spent a couple of hours playing in random servers this evening as I'm holding off on the career mode until it's patched up. The safety car would of "won" about 60% of those races. Lap 1, sector 1 would be the only portion of the race at speed. The carnage and poor sportsmanship that's going on in these servers is going to happen regardless of a safety car being added.

I understand the want for immersion and realism. But some things don't translate very well between the actual and the virtual. With all the money spent on the cars, tire model, licenses for tracks. All the money we spend on the computers and consoles, a copy of the game itself and for some a wheel and pedals set... why would we really want to sit and drive slowly behind the SC while we pretend the incident wasn't cleaned up 10 seconds after it happened. In Career mode, AI cars involved in incidents only stay on screen until we have left line of sight... Online, until the user either gets frustrated and disconnects, or however many seconds it takes for them to press start and return to the pits.

It's a lot of time and effort for a feature that will ultimately (for the majority!) become a frustrating experience. A frequent, ever present looming over your head frustration.

(Also, with the career mode as scripted as it is. Weather is the same every race in repeated seasons. AI Pit strategies are the same. Safety cars would probably give the AI a headache it really... really could do without in its current state)

Still in any case i was shocked by how many bad drivers/unsportmanship ones are online playing.

I thought that the game itself would have attracted a far more mature and cleaner kind of drivers. Oh well there's GTP for creating a good nice group of racers, right? :)

Most of the bad drivers will eventually get bored & move onto something else, in a years time I'm guessing there will be many more clean racers online (same thing happened in GT). That said, they'll have to add a lot more usable features for online lobbies to make it worth setting up races. At the moment the online features are threadbare to say the least.

why would we really want to sit and drive slowly behind the SC while we pretend the incident wasn't cleaned up 10 seconds after it happened. In Career mode, AI cars involved in incidents only stay on screen until we have left line of sight... Online, until the user either gets frustrated and disconnects, or however many seconds it takes for them to press start and return to the pits.

It's a lot of time and effort for a feature that will ultimately (for the majority!) become a frustrating experience. A frequent, ever present looming over your head frustration.

Because... SMS said we would be getting safety cars.

In public online lobbies a saftey car is not a good idea (you dont want to race in those lobbies anyway). But in single player or private lobbies it can be a nice addition. Especially if youre claiming to be a simracer its strange there is no safetycar.

Really? Where is the safety issue in a game that requires a safety car?

European racing is gradually replacing the safety car with better options anyway.

Really? Where is the safety issue in a game that requires a safety car?

Sounds like you don't even watch motorsport.

Anyway.. back to the lack of safety car feature SMS said we would get. It's like a car salesman saying a car has alloy wheels, then when you go and pick it up they are steeleys. It doesn't affect performance, but it's not what you were told you'd be getting.

Anyway.. back to the lack of safety car feature SMS said we would get. It's like a car salesman saying a car has alloy wheels, then when you go and pick it up they are steeleys. It doesn't affect performance, but it's not what you were told you'd be getting.

Do you have an official statement that we would get it? It was mentioned that it is planned (which was taken as "we will get it") but no definite yes IIRC.
Codie is now saying for years that the physics will be accurate, they aren't. Kaz said some things that are not in GT6. So stop bashing SMS for such a small feature.

BTW: I think it would be cool, but I can live without it. Safety car would need a lot of additional programming (there are different pit rules for different racing series), plus on tracks like Nordschleife there is only a Code 60. LeMans has 3 Safety cars. Either they do all of that properly or people will cry again. There are more important things to add.

It doesn't affect performance......

Off topic, but unless they are exactly the same weight (which is unlikely - like for like alloys are 15-20% lighter) then yes they would affect performance. Changes to un-sprung weight (which wheels are) is roughly the same a four fold change in sprung weight.

I watch a lot of motor sport mate. Did you miss this word? GAME?

Off topic, but unless they are exactly the same weight (which is unlikely - like for like alloys are 15-20% lighter) then yes they would affect performance. Changes to un-sprung weight (which wheels are) is roughly the same a four fold change in sprung weight.

They are, exactly the same in dimensions, just look crap and are not what the salesman said they would be. 👍

Do you have an official statement that we would get it? It was mentioned that it is planned (which was taken as "we will get it") but no definite yes IIRC.
Codie is now saying for years that the physics will be accurate, they aren't. Kaz said some things that are not in GT6. So stop bashing SMS for such a small feature.

BTW: I think it would be cool, but I can live without it. Safety car would need a lot of additional programming (there are different pit rules for different racing series), plus on tracks like Nordschleife there is only a Code 60. LeMans has 3 Safety cars. Either they do all of that properly or people will cry again. There are more important things to add.

Yes, we were told many times by WMD member that safety cars would be added, but not on release day.
Within the last 2 weeks actually.

Would rather them fix all the problems first, before even thinking about a pointless safety car.

:lol: You just say the opposite of everything I say anyway. Bit hipstery.

Yes, we were told many times by WMD member that safety cars would be added, but not on release day.
Within the last 2 weeks actually.

:lol: You just say the opposite of everything I say anyway. Bit hipstery.

Not really your just a tool who is mostly wrong :lol:

I watch a lot of motor sport mate. Did you miss this word? GAME?
You can't die or get injured but you can still end your race by crashing on a car in the middle of the road.
Be it a safety car, a real functional yellow flag or a full course yellow, I won't bother but they must do something.
That is what you can call "safety" on a virtual simulator.

Given that the acronym aspect of Project C.A.R.S stands for Community Assisted Racing Simulator, and that Safety Cars are a very important aspect of Motorsports, I feel that this is a feature that most definitely should be introduced at some point. As we all know when a safety car is needed in a race, it has a significant impact of the race in terms of strategy and how it bunches up the pack thereby decimating a lead. I accept that it would be a lot of work and that the title has other issues that need attention as a priority. In my opinion a safety is far from a pointless feature and should be included once the various serious bugs have been ironed out.

Given that the acronym aspect of Project C.A.R.S stands for Community Assisted Racing Simulator, and that Safety Cars are a very important aspect of Motorsports, I feel that this is a feature that most definitely should be introduced at some point. As we all know when a safety car is needed in a race, it has a significant impact of the race in terms of strategy and how it bunches up the pack thereby decimating a lead. I accept that it would be a lot of work and that the title has other issues that need attention as a priority. In my opinion a safety is far from a pointless feature and should be included once the various serious bugs have been ironed out.

Europe is gradually replacing safety cars with better alternatives.

It's a European developer, it has a European outlook, it's not surprising that this is missing. I don't see it as important in any way at all. Now when American content is released maybe then a safety car is appropriate, along with imaginary debris yellows.

Because... SMS said we would be getting safety cars.
I'm all for getting what was promised. I'm just saying that in this one specific case. Not getting a promised safety car is, in the long run... probably a positive to the game and its users enjoyment.

IMO The safety car makes much more sense to have on the oval tracks. I'm not sure I would even want it on the circuits. Actually I am not even really sure when they would come into play on the longer tracks like Lemans and Nurburgring I mean say the car behind me wrecks even if I am driving at full race speed it is going to be several minutes on Nurburgring before I get to that point on the track again.

On ovals of course we are generally talking seconds to make a complete lap and end up in the thick of it so there it makes a lot more sense to have but if they do not add it I will not loose any sleep over it.

As for pit stop animations, not important to me at all. I would rather have hot race girls up there on the podium but again won't loose any sleep over that if it never comes.

I would like to see the ability to create timed races, online time trial lobbies with collisions off and fixed conditions, options to see more servers on the PC version. A way to see details of the season you are racing in such as track layout for each event without actually having to start the race first. Would be nice to have oil and water gauges or some type of indicators as part of the basic HUD options for all views, some way of knowing what tires are actually on the car, some way to get an idea of what damage has been done to your car after a mishap.

I could go on and on and likely list 100 or more things that IMO would be far more important than animated pitstops.

It works well in the F1 games and you can still disable it both online and offline.

I've owned every codie's F1 title, and in none of them does the safety car work well lol. I can't remember which game they introduced it in, but it was quite buggy in every game it was in. I remember being in second or third when a sc came out, and watching it just let the AI drivers ahead of me overtake it, but my car would automatically apply the brakes when I got to it, meaning I would end up a whole lap behind. I've also had the AI ram into me and destroy my car while being controlled by the sc, nothing I could do to avoid it. Also had my car ghost right through AI cars behind the sc, and getting instantly dq'd for it lol.

When it works it is good, I'll give them that, but it was quite frustrating when your race is ruined by a bug in the sc, when it was the AI that brought it out. I think CARS needs less bugs, but if they could introduce a better one than the F1 games, without the bugs, I certainly wouldn't complain.

Back