I want tighter steering.PS4 

• Thread starter jomama2010
  • 26 comments
United States
Fargo, ND
jomama2010
ಠ_ಠ
When I play GT6 the steering feels tight and crisp.

Then I get PC for the PS4 to help tithe me over until GT7 comes out and every time I turn a gentle corner I feel like I have to turn my wheel at least 90 degrees before I get any actual turning motion going.

The steering wheel settings in game are way over my head and any change I have made has seem to make it worse than better so I default it every time.

My wheel is a Thrustmaster T300RS

When I drive on a road course I don't want to be using all of my wheel's turning potential. My arms can't spin it that fast for what it demands haha.

When I play GT6 the steering feels tight and crisp.

Then I get PC for the PS4 to help tithe me over until GT7 comes out and every time I turn a gentle corner I feel like I have to turn my wheel at least 90 degrees before I get any actual turning motion going.

The steering wheel settings in game are way over my head and any change I have made has seem to make it worse than better so I default it every time.

My wheel is a Thrustmaster T300RS

When I drive on a road course I don't want to be using all of my wheel's turning potential. My arms can't spin it that fast for what it demands haha.
Try adjusting the steering ratio in the car tuning menus. Makes a big difference to how snappy it is. Also make sure you calibrate your wheel in controls in case it's not in alignment. Does the wheel in game turn almost the same speed as your T300? Should be pretty much the same time. Also different cars turn differently, don't forget.

Be good to know which car you're driving so people can give some more pointers I'd say.

The road cars are getting a patch (3.0) to help this . The PC already got it and everyone says its much better . Like bleeder said what cars and what FFB setting are you using ? FFB settings make a difference in feeling big time.

The road cars are getting a patch (3.0) to help this.
Technically they didn't change the cars, but the road tires. So there's no real change in physics. And I can say the result is pretty awesome, it really brings life to the road cars (lift-off oversteer galore!). :)

Try adjusting the steering ratio in the car tuning menus. Makes a big difference to how snappy it is. Also make sure you calibrate your wheel in controls in case it's not in alignment. Does the wheel in game turn almost the same speed as your T300? Should be pretty much the same time. Also different cars turn differently, don't forget.

Be good to know which car you're driving so people can give some more pointers I'd say.

Didn't think of that. Thought there would be a more universal setting in the wheel options menu, but still really helpful. I'll try it out when I get the time. As far as the cars that I drive it doesn't matter. It could be the Ginetta GT5 car, Aston Martin GT3, or The Nascar Stock Car. All of them have the same effect. They all vary but still all make you turn way too much.

Have you tried setting the wheel to the full 1080º, then doing the in game calibration? After that, steering angle input automatically changes to match the specific car. I have a t300 and used to have issues, and this cleared it up.

I usually set steering ratio (on individual car settings) to around 9.5:1 on every car to help try lessen the amount of wheel lock needed to turn. I also find if the car you're using allows castor angle adjustment, lowering that can help sharpen up turn in at the expense of slightly more sensitive straight line feel.
Having said that, what bugs me is the sudden 'slack' steering feel I'm getting when using open wheelers (mostly the vintage Lotuses) whereby if I have to dab the brakes with even the slightest steering lock applied, the wheel (T300RS) seems to whip quite violently to whichever way the steering is turned, and the FFB seems to weaken off momentarily ?
I've tried to 'tune out' this by using different steering / suspension settings, but still experience this sudden 'twitch' for want of a better word. The Ford MkIV is a handful to drive at the best of times, but the 'twitch' I get from the steering when driving it makes it damn near impossible to get a clean, smooth lap in at any track.

I usually set steering ratio (on individual car settings) to around 9.5:1 on every car to help try lessen the amount of wheel lock needed to turn. I also find if the car you're using allows castor angle adjustment, lowering that can help sharpen up turn in at the expense of slightly more sensitive straight line feel.
Having said that, what bugs me is the sudden 'slack' steering feel I'm getting when using open wheelers (mostly the vintage Lotuses) whereby if I have to dab the brakes with even the slightest steering lock applied, the wheel (T300RS) seems to whip quite violently to whichever way the steering is turned, and the FFB seems to weaken off momentarily ?
I've tried to 'tune out' this by using different steering / suspension settings, but still experience this sudden 'twitch' for want of a better word. The Ford MkIV is a handful to drive at the best of times, but the 'twitch' I get from the steering when driving it makes it damn near impossible to get a clean, smooth lap in at any track.

Try a higher brake map setting if the car has one and use a higher deceleration setting in the dif settings(eg 15/50/10)

I am not currently a wheel user. Even though I have PCars for PS4 and PC. My issue is with the DS4 controller.
However, it is similar to the wheel issue reported in that once you turn in, letting the car "run out" and regaining control has once again become the devils work.

And even on straight sections the slightest correctional input to steering causes the wheels to move abruptly and violently in the direction you turned. When you attempt to correct the same thing happens in the opposite direction.
This turns into swaying back and forth until control is lost and your car spins off the course or into a barrier.

I thought the PCars developers had fixed this issue with 2.0 release. But it lives on.

I'm not surprised the issue exist on the PS4 with a wheel too. As far as I can tell, control and tuning features on the PC version are light years ahead of what you have to deal with on the PS4 platform. The PC software is much more precise when it comes to using a Pad controller and (it seems) a wheel interface as well.

Now if I could only get the Logitech LGS to install on my Windows 8.1 or (as of yesterday) Windows 10 PC, I could do further comparisons. But that's a whole other story. I can tell you for sure that controlling a vehicle with a DPad, with the PC version of project cars is far superior to the PS4. Smooth on PC, choppy/unpredictable on PS4.

The slide adjustments used in the controller "configuration" settings, garage and pit area on the PS4 will not move one number (increment/decrement) at a time.

When you make controller configuration and tuning setup adjustments on the PS4, the number jumps by 4 or 6 positions no matter which direction you click. In fact going forward one click, the number jumps by 4.
Moving backward one click the number jumps by six (6). On the PC version, all the slides move one number at a time no matter which direction is taken. It has been this way on PS4 since day one.

PCars developers will hopefully address and fix this condition. It's gone on for some time now and detracts from enjoyment of the game. I just need to know which Project Cars thread to report this to. :irked::odd::banghead:🤬

You're definitely in the wrong thread :P

I will say tho, while don't drive with a controller, I can definitely tell you it's possible. I tried it for a few laps when my first t300 broke, and I have a friend that races exclusively with the controller. Also, there are some very competitive times in the time trials using a controller. Try smaller and smoother steering input, don't chop it like it's GTA or something.

The slider issue is known and supposedly going to be addressed.

Try smaller and smoother steering input, don't chop it like it's GTA or something. The slider issue is known and supposedly going to be addressed.

Tgrey, thank you for your input.👍 Although I am not an alien driver (GT or PCars) I am not prone to spinning out on straight flat sections of track.:odd: I've never played GTA.....:lol:

Something is very wrong with controller configuration and steering input on the PS4 version of project cars.

I have no problems steering with my T300 on PS4, at least not after some tuning. I can't think of any cars that I've tuned where I'm struggling to turn it into a corner.

I know in the steering ratio description it says lower the slider and you'll have to move the wheel less to turn in but in my experience it's best to raise the slider as then the car turns exactly when you want it to and small adjustments to the wheel are really noticeable when driving.

Tgrey, thank you for your input.👍 Although I am not an alien driver (GT or PCars) I am not prone to spinning out on straight flat sections of track.:odd: I've never played GTA.....:lol:

Something is very wrong with controller configuration and steering input on the PS4 version of project cars.

Did you try the controller input option on 2 or 3 I think one is default and my buds on pads said that's to twichy 2 was better

Did you try the controller input option on 2 or 3 I think one is default and my buds on pads said that's to twichy 2 was better

Yes I've tried different options between 1,2 and 3. They all currently have the same issue. Very jerky.
When I switch to the PC version, the problem goes away. Steering with DPAD is smooth and predictable.
No sudden jerking. And thank you for your input. I'll keep trying although its very frustrating.
SMS really needs to fix this.

With deadzone set to 0 the steering feels fine on my Fanatec GT2 wheel, the FFB however...

I am not currently a wheel user. Even though I have PCars for PS4 and PC. My issue is with the DS4 controller.
However, it is similar to the wheel issue reported in that once you turn in, letting the car "run out" and regaining control has once again become the devils work.

And even on straight sections the slightest correctional input to steering causes the wheels to move abruptly and violently in the direction you turned. When you attempt to correct the same thing happens in the opposite direction.
This turns into swaying back and forth until control is lost and your car spins off the course or into a barrier.

I thought the PCars developers had fixed this issue with 2.0 release. But it lives on.

I'm not surprised the issue exist on the PS4 with a wheel too. As far as I can tell, control and tuning features on the PC version are light years ahead of what you have to deal with on the PS4 platform. The PC software is much more precise when it comes to using a Pad controller and (it seems) a wheel interface as well.

Now if I could only get the Logitech LGS to install on my Windows 8.1 or (as of yesterday) Windows 10 PC, I could do further comparisons. But that's a whole other story. I can tell you for sure that controlling a vehicle with a DPad, with the PC version of project cars is far superior to the PS4. Smooth on PC, choppy/unpredictable on PS4.

The slide adjustments used in the controller "configuration" settings, garage and pit area on the PS4 will not move one number (increment/decrement) at a time.

When you make controller configuration and tuning setup adjustments on the PS4, the number jumps by 4 or 6 positions no matter which direction you click. In fact going forward one click, the number jumps by 4.
Moving backward one click the number jumps by six (6). On the PC version, all the slides move one number at a time no matter which direction is taken. It has been this way on PS4 since day one.

PCars developers will hopefully address and fix this condition. It's gone on for some time now and detracts from enjoyment of the game. I just need to know which Project Cars thread to report this to. :irked::odd::banghead:🤬

Turn on steering assistance under gameplay settings. It'll help you a lot with the DS4.

Turn on steering assistance under gameplay settings. It'll help you a lot with the DS4.
I tested that out once with my wheel and discovered the wheel actually started turning by itself around the corners. Did not expect that. Thought it'd just make steering easier. Was nasty. And one time it moved the wheel the opposite direction to the corner.

Yea, that dog don't hunt when using a wheel. It's not ideal with a pad either, but it does make the game playable for those that are having a hard time using the controller.

Bleeder & Formula

Thank you both for helping. I'm not trying to kill the game. It's just really frustrating playing with this particular handicap. I just hope SMS gets it right in the next upgrade.

yeh that's a tuff one to tune I did have the same issue with the F1 cars turns out 1st gear was to short every time you dropped down into it the rear just spun round grrrrr maybe try some tunes from here http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar

It's what I'd expect to happen. 1st gear on a Formula 1 car would only normally be used for the start and maybe at monaco for the hairpin.

Back